Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

486macuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
Im debating on getting two 17' inch or one 20'.Im mainly using them for video editing and photo retouching.Would i be better off getting two 17' or just sticking to one 20' ?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I wouldn't get an apple monitor unless you have money to throw away.

Apple monitors are outdated and expensive.

If I had enough money to buy any monitor I would get that ergonomic aluminum display (which would go perfectly with my dual 2GHz G5 ;)).

scem0

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
I bought the 17" LCD from apple only because I really want a 20" one that matches my G5, like schem0 has suggested. I just couldn't bear to spend double the money on a screen I'd sell within a year. But, I would go with the 20" LCD rather then 2 17" ones (if you don't mind the difference in looks between the screen and the computer). I have used dual CRT's and Dual LCD's, and it is a head ache. One giant screen is soooooo much nicer.

--Waluigi

486macuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
Well im going for looks mostly.I have a 18 inch mitsubishi LCD and i would much rather have a matching system.I was just wondering what is better for video editing and some graphic design. I mean i can buy 2 17" for the price of one 20"

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Originally posted by 486macuser
Well im going for looks mostly.I have a 18 inch mitsubishi LCD and i would much rather have a matching system.I was just wondering what is better for video editing and some graphic design. I mean i can buy 2 17" for the price of one 20"

I'd still get the 20. I've used dual screens for video editing, and Photoshop, and I get very frustrated with the gap between the screens, and if one screen is slightly off of color or brightness then the other. One screen takes up less desk space, and you don't have to strain your neck as much. Get the 20, and you'll be happy.

--Waluigi

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
dual monitors takes some getting used to, and having dual monitors appeals to some people more than others. Personally I love dual monitors and if I had enough money I would get them, but I am 16 and really can't afford a monitor at all. (Especially when I am buying my own G5).

I would go around to computer stores and try to find a setup with dual monitors. Play around with it and then you will pretty much know if you would think that 2 monitors would be more of a pain, or more of a gain :).

One monitor is nicer, but with dual monitors you'd get more screen real estate for the same price.

scem0

flynntastic

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
Santa Cruz, Ca
what about those Formac ones (thats the name right?)

They look kind of like Apples, are ALMOST as nice (some cant tell the difference), and are cheaper. They have a 17", 19" and 20", I think.

That way, at least your looks somewhat match

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.