PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks and PowerBooks?

arn
Apr 11, 2002, 09:13 PM
YourDailyMac hints (http://www.yourdailymac.com/wwdc02.html) at new iBooks and PowerBooks in the coming weeks... but with a caveat:

We have basically just been told of new iBooks with new enclosures and Superdrive tiBooks, the rest is mere speculation, and no specifications of any measure has been given to us.

Many users are looking forward to superdrived Ti-Book... but in this my opinion... I don't believe that it will happen this soon.

buffsldr
Apr 11, 2002, 09:18 PM
A portable comp with a superdrive is definitely possible, but at this time, I doubt that portable will be a tibook. Because apple doesnt make the superdrive, dont you think we would have heard about the new drive elsewhere? Point being, if apples breaks out a portable with a superdrive, it will not be as thin.

arn
Apr 11, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr
A portable comp with a superdrive is definitely possible, but at this time, I doubt that portable will be a tibook. Because apple doesnt make the superdrive, dont you think we would have heard about the new drive elsewhere? Point being, if apples breaks out a portable with a superdrive, it will not be as thin.

right... technically, I don't think it's possible at this time... of course, like with NVidia and Motorla, Apple may have an "in" with panasonic and will get first dibs on such a device... I don't think the product has advanced enough yet

arn

CORRECTION: It's Pioneer who makes the superdrive.

whatever
Apr 11, 2002, 10:01 PM
Apple had an with the original SuperDrive. So why not with a laptop version?

PaulRod
Apr 11, 2002, 10:23 PM
A portable, video-editing, Ti4 video, 1" thick, higher-rez LCD, better Airport receiving... TiBook... that'll be the day...

that'll be the day I buy it... as soon as it's announced!!!

:)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 11, 2002, 10:23 PM
The newest version of the superdrive is supposed to be smaller, thinner, fast and cheaper. However, it has to be really small to fit in a TiPB. I'd think unless, like you say, they have an in with Panasonic, we'd see it in an iBook first, just from an engineering standpoint.

pimentoLoaf
Apr 11, 2002, 11:14 PM
Just went off to the Powerbook (http://www.apple.com/powerbook) site and...

Netscape, IE, OmniWeb -- everything churns and churns, but some of the graphics don't show.

Perhaps they're retooling the page?

chibianh
Apr 11, 2002, 11:21 PM
The apple powerbook site? Loads fine and looks the same for me...

Heh.. just wanted to get in another post..

pimentoLoaf
Apr 11, 2002, 11:28 PM
Flush yer cache and try again. Me? Got lots of little blank areas with white x's in red circles.

And yup! I refreshed a few times to make sure.

PaulRod
Apr 12, 2002, 12:19 AM
Ok, this is interesting...

I just mock ordered a stock 667 Ti, and the wait is now up to 10 days.. it recently jumped to 5 days, from 1-2 days a week ago..

so is it component shortage? or a stock issue from new models being produced... maybe as we speak, or, um, read...

Another tidbit, I've been able to buy a 667 Ti through a friend at Apple for $2399 for about a month and a half now...

I'm starting to think I'm glad I waited

Xapplimatic
Apr 12, 2002, 12:21 AM
No problems with the Apple site here.. however, I do find it premature for Apple to release new portables again.. I think that waits until at least June. As for an "in" with Panasonic, Apple has one. They just announced Panasonic has an agreement with Apple to use Fire Wire.. so ... why not Apple getting first dibs on a slimmer Superdrive? No reason they can't pull an early rabbit out of the hat again like they did with Nvidia with the GF4 stuff.

Rower_CPU
Apr 12, 2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Flush yer cache and try again. Me? Got lots of little blank areas with white x's in red circles.

And yup! I refreshed a few times to make sure.

No problems now @ 10:24 PM Pacific...

Speaking of website weirdness...any predictions on the new "teasers" for MWNY?
How about "MegaHertz....we don' need no steenkeen MegaHertz!!!"

cmoney
Apr 12, 2002, 12:34 AM
I've got an ADC Hardware discount which comes out to around 20% that expires in June. Unfortunately, even if I renew my membership, Apple won't renew the Hardware discount. The one I have now will expire and I'll receive a new one (so I can't get two discounted systems at once).

If this is true, I'll have a reason to make use of the discount before it expires. Here's hopin...

Geert
Apr 12, 2002, 01:58 AM
Need money quickly!!!
All these great lookin Apple products make me drewl.
In my head I constantly hear the same phrase when I see Macs: 'buy me, buy me, buy me,...'

I really should get another job, one where I can make +3000 EUR or so:D

idkew
Apr 12, 2002, 02:32 AM
apple just put a CR-RW in the powerbook, i doubt we will see a DVD-RW soon.......

freedom
Apr 12, 2002, 04:22 AM
New enclosures?
Could they? Should they?
TiBook is fabulous and iBook
is, well, great.
Seriously I don´t think they
will unleash G4´s in iBooks for a while…
And superdrives in TiBooks, why?
Why would you burn your dvd´s
on a TiBook? Do you really need that?
I think that the combodrives should be
enough for most users at the moment!
:)

kishba
Apr 12, 2002, 05:22 AM
i think we're all confusing panasonic for pioneer again!

pioneer makes superdrive, and i doubt they are thin enough, or fast enough... it'd be better for apple to put in an updated combo drive (faster cdr/w)

i just think a superdrive in a laptop is too crazy... why would you want to burn from a laptop?

arn
Apr 12, 2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by kishba
i think we're all confusing panasonic for pioneer again!

doh... yep - thanks for the correction...

arn

iGav
Apr 12, 2002, 05:52 AM
I think it'd be great to have a Superdrive in a TiBook, and I can think of many uses for it.... :D

My TiBook is my main machine, that I use for everything from emailing to broadcast graphics and title sequences and DVD authoring...... A Superdrive would make my life infinitely easier if i could transport my 4Gb files on one disc and dispatch straight to the client, as opposed to me have to visit the client and transfer it off my machine.......

Also the archive possibilities would be fantastic, I have 2Gb left on my TiBook and about 10Gb left on my Maxtor 80Gb Firewire drive, been able to back this all up onto DVD would be truely amazing......

That is why I'd like a Superdrive on my TiBook......:D

arn
Apr 12, 2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by whatever
Apple had an with the original SuperDrive. So why not with a laptop version?

As idkew pointed out... they've only recently been able to even offer a cd-r/dvd combo drive with the TiBook... this was presumably a technical issue in finding a mechanism that would fit in the enclosure. We're still at tray-loading Superdrives at this point...

arn

Macmaniac
Apr 12, 2002, 06:47 AM
That would be really cool to have a super drive in the Ti-Book, I doubt it would go in the iBook because that is just a consumer model. The Ti-Book is the pro model so it will be the one with a Super Drive. How are they gonna fit it in there?

ftaok
Apr 12, 2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
That would be really cool to have a super drive in the Ti-Book, I doubt it would go in the iBook because that is just a consumer model. The Ti-Book is the pro model so it will be the one with a Super Drive. How are they gonna fit it in there? The iBook will eventually get the SuperDrive, consumer model or not. Whether it gets one before the TiBook, is another question.

The SuperDrive is an integral part of Apple's strategy and all of their Macs will have that option. The argument that the iBook won't get one because it's the "consumer" model is flawed. The iMac has one and it's a "consumer" model. I argue that "consumers" would have more use for a SuperDrive than "pros" (excluding the video producing "pros").

Oh, just an aside. The iBook got the combo drive long before the TiBook. In fact, wasn't the iBook the first computer to get a combo drive, or was it just the first laptop?

nickgeppetto
Apr 12, 2002, 08:40 AM
Ok, I know it sounds wonderful to have a laptop with a superdrive. But you guys are forgetting about one major factor. Sure size does matter, But lets get real. You need a power source that can stand drive a DVD buring and normal opperation. I'm sorry, but the battery is too weak and would not be able to support it.

clonenode
Apr 12, 2002, 09:13 AM
These rumors crack me up. All of this is probably a year away! This stuff is NOT around the corner or someone would be losing their job over a leak like this.

eric_n_dfw
Apr 12, 2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ftaok The SuperDrive is an integral part of Apple's strategy and all of their Macs will have that option. The argument that the iBook won't get one because it's the "consumer" model is flawed. The iMac has one and it's a "consumer" model. I argue that "consumers" would have more use for a SuperDrive than "pros" (excluding the video producing "pros").
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe iDVD runs without a G4. Now, if that article is right, and a G4 iBook comes out (which would rock!) then your comment is completely accurate.

My perfect DVD-R world has iDVD working with FireWire DVD-R drives. (I know, I know, dream on!) And don't tell me to go shell out a grand for DVD Pro Studio! ;oP

eric_n_dfw
Apr 12, 2002, 09:27 AM
From the article
In line with other information circulating at the moment the iBook will probably get a faster processor and standard 14" screens with Apple dropping the 12" screen.
I sure hope this is wrong - one of the big draws to the iBook it it's miniscule size. I am not interested in a 14" laptop for "personal use". It would eat into the tiBook's sales too, unless the tiBook got some big bump up as well.
<BEGIN_WILD_SPECULATION>
Of course, this could also mean that long rumored iWalk/iPod+/iPalm/iWhatever PDA or that Tablet Mac thing thing-a-ma-bob is more than vaporware. Get rid of the 12" iBook and release some uber-cool, small form factor replacement.
</END_WILD_SPECULATION>
(I doubt it!)

drastik
Apr 12, 2002, 09:30 AM
...and even for the video pro's the need for portable burning is still very limited. GAV, everything you want to do with a superdrive can be accomplished from a desktop rig in an office. I wouldn'd think you shoot a project, go to Waffle House and edit it, burn the discs, and drop them in the nearest mail box. The product just doesn't get complete that quickly. As for large backups, that akes some real time too, and I don't think anyone wants to do it at the subway station, especialy when our already dealing with a stationary, fiewire external drive.

I work with Video, too, and I undersand wanting a machine that's the whole package. But there are still some things that have to be done on the desk just because of time tables, and I'd rather deal with a few more cables and power stripes than add another pound to the TiBook.

:D

mcrain
Apr 12, 2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by kishba
i just think a superdrive in a laptop is too crazy... why would you want to burn from a laptop?

If the new laptop you just bought sucked your account dry, and you wanted to burn a DVD, you just might want your new laptop to have that capability without having to go out and buy a firewire dvd-r drive and dvd pro or whatever it is called.

ftaok
Apr 12, 2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe iDVD runs without a G4. Now, if that article is right, and a G4 iBook comes out (which would rock!) then your comment is completely accurate.

My perfect DVD-R world has iDVD working with FireWire DVD-R drives. (I know, I know, dream on!) And don't tell me to go shell out a grand for DVD Pro Studio! ;oP You're correct. I've also been saying for a while now that the iBook will eventually get the G4 as well.

Interestingly enough, Formac has a new Firewire DVD-R/RW drive that works with both OS 9 and X. Plus, it comes with DVD authoring software that works with both G4s and G3s. If Formac can make software for the G3, then why can't Apple? The cynical answer is that they want us to buy G4s and will eventually phase out the G3 altogether.

drastik
Apr 12, 2002, 09:52 AM
lets be realistic here.

A new TiBook with any kind of speed bumb AND a superdrive, is going to run somewhere over 3000USD, maybe even 3500USD.

This is, no question, a pro machine. It isn't made for a consumer who has to empty their retirement fund to buy it. Its made for people who expect to make more money as a result of owning it, and who can write it off on their taxes. Money shouldn't be an issue.

Sure, everybody wants the top of the line machine, but we're talking about something approaching the price of my first car, which I will admit wasn't so hot, but it probably still runs, and they haven't come out with an engine upgrade to obsolece it. (unless you think in terms of cylinders)

If money is that much of an issue, you should seriously conside wether you need the technology at all. That's why apple offers models that don't carry the superdrive, not everybody needs that and leaving one out saves a lot of money, not to mention weight.

ftaok
Apr 12, 2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by drastik
...and even for the video pro's the need for portable burning is still very limited. GAV, everything you want to do with a superdrive can be accomplished from a desktop rig in an office. I wouldn'd think you shoot a project, go to Waffle House and edit it, burn the discs, and drop them in the nearest mail box. The product just doesn't get complete that quickly. As for large backups, that akes some real time too, and I don't think anyone wants to do it at the subway station, especialy when our already dealing with a stationary, fiewire external drive.

I work with Video, too, and I undersand wanting a machine that's the whole package. But there are still some things that have to be done on the desk just because of time tables, and I'd rather deal with a few more cables and power stripes than add another pound to the TiBook.:D NOTE - I'm not a video pro, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Here's why video pros need a notebook with a SuperDrive.

Let's say that this "pro" is working on a project at work. I don't know, editing some sports video hi-lights. He looks at the clock and it's 6:38pm and he needs to get home, but he also needs to finish the DVD by 9am. What's a struggling "pro" to do?

He packs the notebook up and takes it home with him. After dinner, our hero gets right back to work to finish up that last bit of video. Then he burns his DVD and all's good.

As far as the battery not being robust enough to handle DVD burning, that's what they make plugs for. I don't think that you'd really want to burn DVDs while you're in a plane anyways, unless you like to make coasters.

eric_n_dfw
Apr 12, 2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ftaok
Interestingly enough, Formac has a new Firewire DVD-R/RW drive that works with both OS 9 and X. Plus, it comes with DVD authoring software that works with both G4s and G3s. If Formac can make software for the G3, then why can't Apple? The cynical answer is that they want us to buy G4s and will eventually phase out the G3 altogether. [/B]
I have to wonder how easy the software is to use, does it do the menus and what-not. Heck, I can buy a DVD-RW drive and burn movies to it with Toast 5 today. The G3/G4 argument is that, with a G4, it only takes "1 to 3 times the length of your media" to encode the MPEG2 data. I don't know if you've used Final Cut Pro or not, but when FCP 2 came out and I moved from a G3/400 to a G4/400, it was like whiplash. Code optimized for Velocity Engine/AltiVec SSE processors is simply amazing. I wouldn't at all be surprised if iDVD on a G3 would take 10 - 20 times as long to render that MPEG2 data.

I'll be watching 2-pop.com for comments on Formac's software.

drastik
Apr 12, 2002, 10:13 AM
I think your exactly right about the plugs, which is why I think apple shouldn't rush the superdrive. I believe that before long all machines will carry one, but not untill the technology is right. Meanwhile, if I have to plug in to use the drive, why have it in the computer at all, save the weight.

Taking work home is a good thing sometimes, but untill the superdrive fits in the slim ase and doesn't add a lot of weight, I'll just go back to the office. Of course, I work freelance, and my office is about two feel from my bedroom, so that's not realy my problem. Followng that line, however, I think portables appeal more to freelancers than office managers. It's just more going in and out to a big company. They want people to work at their desks anyway.

I'd think, and somebody may have already found this out, if you took a survey of all the pro Mac users who use Macs in the course of their business, especialy anything vaugly production-esque, you'd find the majority to be freelancers or very small firms.

ftaok
Apr 12, 2002, 10:13 AM
lets be realistic here.

A new TiBook with any kind of speed bumb AND a superdrive, is going to run somewhere over 3000USD, maybe even 3500USD.

This is, no question, a pro machine. It isn't made for a consumer who has to empty their retirement fund to buy it. Its made for people who expect to make more money as a result of owning it, and who can write it off on their taxes. Money shouldn't be an issue.The TiBook, right now, costs $2300 and $3000. When Apple upgrades speed, they tend to keep the price points the same (or in some cases, reduced). So the speed bump should have no impact on the list price of the SuperDrive TiBook.

The cost of a Firewire DVD-RW drive is about $500. A slot-loading one that's required for a TiBook would probably cost Apple about that much. How much do slot-loading Combo Drives cost? Without knowing this info, it's kinda hard to determine the pricing.

Here's my guess for the price points for these new TiBook (when they arrive).

Lo - 667mhz, combo ($2200)
Mid - 800mhz, combo ($2800)
Hi - 800mhz, super ($3100)

As for the SuperDrive being only for pro notebooks, I beg to differ. I suspect that a hi-end iBook with a 600mhz G4 and a SuperDrive could be sold at $2000 or $2100. I know that this would overlap with the lo-end TiBook, but maybe Apple doesn't even offer the LoTiBook.

cmoney
Apr 12, 2002, 10:23 AM
You're correct. I've also been saying for a while now that the iBook will eventually get the G4 as well.

Interestingly enough, Formac has a new Firewire DVD-R/RW drive that works with both OS 9 and X. Plus, it comes with DVD authoring software that works with both G4s and G3s. If Formac can make software for the G3, then why can't Apple? The cynical answer is that they want us to buy G4s and will eventually phase out the G3 altogether.

Apple can make iDVD run with a G3. But since Apple keeps the G3s a bit slower than the G4s and since the G3 without Altivec is many many times slower than the G4, could you imagine the field day the press would have when they compared a 600-700MHz G3 iMac burning a DVD to a similarly priced 2GHz Win XP computer?

One of Apple's selling points has been how much faster DVD burning and MPEG encoding is on a Mac. Adding G3s to the mix only confuses the marketing pitch and could potentially frustrate users. Imagine Grandpa saying his iMac G3 has been creating a DVD for the past 4 hours!

drastik
Apr 12, 2002, 11:09 AM
You're probably right about the price points.

My point was simply that buying technology you don't need is not a good idea at these prices. Burning your own DVDs for personal use is nice, but its a luxury.

First your going to need a DV camera or an Analog bridge, so theres four or five hundred bucks to boot.

Second, If you must have you stuff on disc use VCD. Its cheaper than video tape. Video is longer, but at ten cents a disc or so for an hour of footage, VCD is still the cheadpest option. I usually use VCD's to show clients rough cuts of the work anyway, then delver final copies on DVD. Running through pricey media just to be told that they wont some small change done get pricey, not to mention annoying.

I think that, untill the technology is right, the combo drive is ideally suited to mobile professionals. Of course that;s really the best option right now:D

Wait a year maybe, and the superdrives will fit into the one inch case. Threee years ago I was amazed at a G3 400 running Final Cut with firewire on the back. things change fast.

BobVB
Apr 12, 2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
No problems with the Apple site here.. however, I do find it premature for Apple to release new portables again.. I think that waits until at least June.

June is too late for bulk school orders. School districts have allocated their monies and placed their orders by June. That's why they release the original iBook in mid May and they might have wanted to push even that date back a few weeks.

If they do have something new to offer in iBooks, the next few weeks are the time to make it available for order. The Titanium book upgrade might be necessary because of the features they will be adding (just to keep the Tibook from looking too long in the tooth)

mcrain
Apr 12, 2002, 01:28 PM
My perfect DVD-R world has iDVD working with FireWire DVD-R drives. (I know, I know, dream on!) And don't tell me to go shell out a grand for DVD Pro Studio! ;oP

Speaking of which, why does iDvd not work with an external drive?

That just seems pretty silly.

buffsldr
Apr 12, 2002, 01:31 PM

I work with Video, too, and I undersand wanting a machine that's the whole package. But there are still some things that have to be done on the desk just because of time tables, and I'd rather deal with a few more cables and power stripes than add another pound to the TiBook.

:D
Very solid points drastik. Your insight reminds me of S Jobs explaining why the new iMac was not just the old iMac chopped in half. "Let each element be true to itself".

buffsldr
Apr 12, 2002, 01:43 PM
NOTE - I'm not a video pro, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Here's why video pros need a notebook with a SuperDrive.

Let's say that this "pro" is working on a project at work. I don't know, editing some sports video hi-lights. He looks at the clock and it's 6:38pm and he needs to get home, but he also needs to finish the DVD by 9am. What's a struggling "pro" to do?

He packs the notebook up and takes it home with him. After dinner, our hero gets right back to work to finish up that last bit of video. Then he burns his DVD and all's good.

As far as the battery not being robust enough to handle DVD burning, that's what they make plugs for. I don't think that you'd really want to burn DVDs while you're in a plane anyways, unless you like to make coasters.

Lol....ftaok, I am not trying to slam you, but the scenario you painted is odd. If this project is so important, why do you need to go home and eat dinner. whats wrong with take out in your office? If you have to go home (an emergency or unbreakable appointment) what good does having the computer with you do? you cant work anyway. If commute time is huge, then you have a point. But its cheaper, more ergonomic to get 2 desktops, 1 for home, 1 for work. I dont know, you might be right, but I just think you have to draw the line somewhere. Present technology just doesnt give the laptop the ability to be all things to all people.

eric_n_dfw
Apr 12, 2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Speaking of which, why does iDvd not work with an external drive?

That just seems pretty silly.
Because Apple is a hardware company - it's the same reason they don't have OS X for x86. Porting everything sans Classic would be fairly easy as OpenStep 4 (aka Rhapsody after the buyout) was running on x86 for years.
People buy SuperDrive machines to run iDVD, Apple makes money.
I know a guy who just bought an iMac last night to burn DVD's of iMovie stuff he makes on his tiBook. He's a programmer/geek like me and could surely get a FireWire DVD-R and use some 3rd party software (or pay for DVD Pro Studio) but he justifies it with his wallet (and wife) with the ease of use and ergonomics that iMac and iDVD deliver.

The only reason iDVD doesn't support external drives is because Apple doesn't want it to... and I don't really blame them. (even if it does not please me)

mcrain
Apr 12, 2002, 04:31 PM
The only reason iDVD doesn't support external drives is because Apple doesn't want it to... and I don't really blame them. (even if it does not please me)

So, the reason it doesn't work is because Apple doesn't want competition for its machines?

Boy, that sounds awfully anti-competitive doesn't it?

Can you smell a potential lawsuit? I wonder if a qui tam could be filed on something like this.

(Visions of fees dancing in my head)

serpicolugnut
Apr 12, 2002, 06:07 PM
So, the reason it doesn't work is because Apple doesn't want competition for its machines?

Apple gives iDVD away. The reason Apple developed it was to sell hardware with DVD-RW drives built in. This is hardly anticompetitive. It's a very common business practice.

That said, there are patches out there that allow iDVD2 to work with external firewire DVD-R drives.

SPG
Apr 12, 2002, 08:22 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat, in this case all the people eroniously talking about the "Panasonic Superdrive" might actually be on to something even if they didn't intend it. The Pioneer A03 aka Superdrive is not the only drive currently available to burn DVD's. Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba all either have DVD burners on the market or have them in late stages of development. One of these companies or Pioneer may have been able to get their drive size shrunk down small enough to fit into a reformed high end powerbook (notice I didn't say tiBook or iBook?). There may very well be a tiBook with a burner coming out, but as a professional DVD author I don't think that I would neccesarily pay a premium to own one. First of all most pro authors don't use DVD Studio Pro and the Sonic, Scenarist, Spruce, and other true "Pro" applications won't run on a laptop because they need cards. Secondly the kind of stuff I do on a laptop is better suited to CD, and DVD burners are notoriously slow and buggy at CD burning. The consumer/prosumer might want a all in one solution, but the DVDR will most likely be the high end of the highend book.

SPG
Apr 12, 2002, 08:27 PM
Hey SPG! What are you thinking? The ability to burn DVD media would be abig help to even a knucklehead like you. Think about it, the ability to back up all those long boring documentaries you keep editing. A place to back up all your MP3's and porn so you can access them from any machine. DVD is not just DVD video you know.

King Cobra
Apr 12, 2002, 08:29 PM
I would argue for keeping 12 inch iBooks for the sake of battery life and portability. The iBook battery power has usually been of high quality, but by changing the screen to 14" that means you probably will need an extra 10 to 20 percent, considering that the area is being increased by some amount as well.

Besides, didn't the iBook represent easy portability? By increasing the screen to 14" you are not making the iBook any more portable. You change the size and the weight.

That's just my argument.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will have performed 15 billion more float point operations than a consumer PC.

Rower_CPU
Apr 12, 2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by SPG
Hey SPG! What are you thinking? The ability to burn DVD media would be abig help to even a knucklehead like you. Think about it, the ability to back up all those long boring documentaries you keep editing. A place to back up all your MP3's and porn so you can access them from any machine. DVD is not just DVD video you know.

Whoa dude! Talk about multiple personality disorder...I've heard of boosting your post count before, but this is ridiculous!

Remember to sign out, and then back in as someone different if you want to start a flamewar with yourself...:rolleyes:

[Edit] x

gooddog
Apr 12, 2002, 11:48 PM
I may buy if fit and finish is Apple-worthy !!!

(1)

I think it's a great idea if the new enclosure features two latch hooks ( one at each side of the screen ) operated by a single button on the middle of the upper lid's front edge. The current single, center-mount latch often closes with a tilted lid or a "gullwing" upper lid that makes the otherwise gorgeous iBook
look like a cheap cigar box that got waterlogged.

(2)

Also, let's have a VERY slight "overbite" lip on the screen lid front, to cover up the "safety gap" between the screen and the keyboard. This gap looks awful in many units and it lets debris fall down into that space to ruin the screen.

Both features a very nicely executed in Sony's personal DVD player with 7" LCD, the
DVP-FX1 model.

---gooddog

eric_n_dfw
Apr 13, 2002, 08:37 AM

Boy, that sounds awfully anti-competitive doesn't it?

Can you smell a potential lawsuit? I wonder if a qui tam could be filed on something like this.

(Visions of fees dancing in my head)
Apple has always tied their hardware tightly to their software - that's why everything works as well as it does. iDVD is software made specifically for Apple branded "SuperDrive" equipped Mac's. Want to use a different DVD-RW? Go buy different software. The fact that ForMac has come out with their own is proof that competition is alive and kicking. (Not to mention the competition from the Wintel camp)

SPG
Apr 13, 2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Whoa dude! Talk about multiple personality disorder...I've heard of boosting your post count before, but this is ridiculous!

Remember to sign out, and then back in as someone different if you want to start a flamewar with yourself...:rolleyes:

[Edit] Seriously...stop it, or it's off to arn you go...

Whoa dude yourself. After reviewing my initial post I thought that I came across a little heavy handed and flaming myself as myself was an entertaining way to get the old "on the other hand..." statement out there. I never intended to disguise myself by logging in under another name.
The repeat posting of my first post must have happened while hitting the back button, for that I apologize and if Arn wants to deduct a post from my counter that's fine. (I'm not much of a post number watcher anyway.)

SPG
Apr 13, 2002, 05:36 PM
Hey SPG, why do you feel the need to explain yourself? Just post as you see fit and nevermind if someone out there takes you too seriously. Honestly, threatening to report you for posting a reply to your own post? Ooops! Now you did it.

Rower_CPU
Apr 13, 2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by SPG
Hey SPG, why do you feel the need to explain yourself? Just post as you see fit and nevermind if someone out there takes you too seriously. Honestly, threatening to report you for posting a reply to your own post? Ooops! Now you did it.

Actually I was referring to your third post which was an identical copy of your first post.

That is blatant and a waste of bandwidth...no need to get snippy...you're not cute.

ftaok
Apr 14, 2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr

Lol....ftaok, I am not trying to slam you, but the scenario you painted is odd. If this project is so important, why do you need to go home and eat dinner. whats wrong with take out in your office? If you have to go home (an emergency or unbreakable appointment) what good does having the computer with you do? you cant work anyway. If commute time is huge, then you have a point. But its cheaper, more ergonomic to get 2 desktops, 1 for home, 1 for work. I dont know, you might be right, but I just think you have to draw the line somewhere. Present technology just doesnt give the laptop the ability to be all things to all people. buffsldr,

I'm glad that I could give you a laugh. But while you think that scenario is odd, I argue that something like that could be quite common.

Perhaps this video pro's wife (or girlfriend or domestic partner) feels that he spends too much time at the office. So this pro gets home by 7pm, eats dinner and is then able to get back to work by 9pm. This kinda stuff is probably more common than you think.

And why in the world would you want to have 2 computers (one at work, one at home) when you could have a TiBook that's capable of doing the work by itself? Personally, I hate having to keep the files on each computer synched properly. Never have liked doing that.

But I'm sure there's hundreds of wacky scenarios that I could come up with.;)

Grokgod
Apr 14, 2002, 12:10 PM
Is this the "you posted to many times or not in accordance to posting rules" thread? or better yet " text the bandwidth killer! "

Post as you desire, those that have trouble with bandwidth concerns of text or in great need of a valium speedball chased by a good canadian beer!

By the way i posted this to merely irritated and up my posting numbers, NOT!

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 03:37 PM
Hey, I'm just relaying info from other threads...don't kill the messenger. If the guy wasn't aware that he was multiple posting then he needs to know.

There has been a lot of discussion recently about multiple posting/ post count boosting...
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=3185

As for your quip about text and bandwidth...it's a question of scale. Sure, one person loading a page with an extra KB of text won't be too bad...but multiply that by several people hitting the page at once...and people on slower connections who have to wait longer for the page to load and you see how it all adds up...
Interesting choice of drink...a regular of yours?

SPG
Apr 14, 2002, 04:33 PM
re: mobile editing and burning.
The take your work home scenario isn't all that much of a stretch, I take home project files all the time on my iPod. It's just nicer sometimes to be able to finish your work comfortably after a nice home cooked meal...besides I prefer to edit while wearing a bathrobe and boxers and having a nice cold beer.
There are a few other reasons that a mobile edit and DVD system is appealing: If it's your only computer. If you work on location and want to share your edits. If you don't own or work at a studio but want to learn it as in being a student.
A DVD burning laptop may not be the solution for most DVD pros, but it's a great solution for just about everyone else.

"Actually I was referring to your third post which was an identical copy of your first post.

That is blatant and a waste of bandwidth...no need to get snippy...you're not cute."

re: Double posting. SORRY! already! It happened while I was hitting the back button and I didn't even notice it. And fwiw Rover, you were attacking my post to myself and my girlfriend says I'm cute.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 04:36 PM
FWIW...
You can remove accidental posts by clicking on the edit button beneath your post and then clicking the delete thread tab and button at the edit post screen...

SPG
Apr 14, 2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
FWIW...
You can remove accidental posts by clicking on the edit button beneath your post and then clicking the delete thread tab and button at the edit post screen...

Already did that.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by SPG
re: Double posting. SORRY! already! It happened while I was hitting the back button and I didn't even notice it. And fwiw Rover, you were attacking my post to myself and my girlfriend says I'm cute.

I'm sorry about attacking you too...it just came across as weird to me, and then when I saw that 3rd post in a row I thought you were messing around on purpose...I guess I take things too seriously sometimes...
No hard feelings? :D

SPG
Apr 14, 2002, 04:58 PM
Hmmm, Just noticed this: Pioneer is running a rebate offer on the AO3 drive that ends 4/30/02 or while inventory lasts. Looks like they might have something new in the pipeline perhaps?

Rover, It's cool. It takes a lot more than that to piss me off, a lot more. I'm just playin anyway. (Notice the conservation of posting here? 1 post two topics!)

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 05:01 PM
Well the AO4 is already available now...they might just be trying to clear the old stock...

SPG - Well done...:p

SPG
Apr 14, 2002, 05:08 PM
Uh, sorry. I really only noticed just now that your handle is Rower and not Rover. No disrespect intended on that one. Crew? Kayak? Or am I missing something here?

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 05:09 PM
Crew...two years for SDSU...fun sport when you're not killing yourself! :D

SPG
Apr 14, 2002, 05:14 PM
Righton. I did it very briefly, but 5am is too early when you're studying engineering. Now I prefer a kayak.

Rower_CPU
Apr 14, 2002, 05:15 PM
5am is a whole different world...
Where'd you row...university...club...what?

mcrain
Apr 15, 2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Apple gives iDVD away. The reason Apple developed it was to sell hardware with DVD-RW drives built in. This is hardly anticompetitive. It's a very common business practice.

So, obviously, M$'s giving away IE and optimizing everything to use its software couldn't possibly be anti-competitive?

The fact of the matter is that if Apple had 95% of the market right now, their business practices would be tested in court. I don't know if they would hold up or not, but I guarantee you an attorney (like me who isn't completely computer literate) will see what Apple is doing as sounding enough like anti-competive behaviour to bring suit.

Just like viruses which are designed to go after the OS that is used in the majority of systems, attorneys for private companies and the government see M$ as the deep pockets, and thus the target.

Right now, Apple isn't really on the radar screen, and I would worry that if the stars all line up and Apple becomes the dominant player in the OS/Hardware/Server market, it will be attacked, because it's actions "look" anticompetitive enough for an attorney with minimal skills to draft a complaint that would survive a motion to dismiss.

ftaok
Apr 15, 2002, 10:34 AM
So, obviously, M$'s giving away IE and optimizing everything to use its software couldn't possibly be anti-competitive?

The fact of the matter is that if Apple had 95% of the market right now, their business practices would be tested in court. I don't know if they would hold up or not, but I guarantee you an attorney (like me who isn't completely computer literate) will see what Apple is doing as sounding enough like anti-competive behaviour to bring suit.

Just like viruses which are designed to go after the OS that is used in the majority of systems, attorneys for private companies and the government see M$ as the deep pockets, and thus the target.

Right now, Apple isn't really on the radar screen, and I would worry that if the stars all line up and Apple becomes the dominant player in the OS/Hardware/Server market, it will be attacked, because it's actions "look" anticompetitive enough for an attorney with minimal skills to draft a complaint that would survive a motion to dismiss. macrain,

I hear you on the anti-trust stuff, but to compare what Apple does to what Microsoft has done is really apples and oranges. And I'm not talking about market share either.

What Microsoft has been found doing is optimizing the Windows code to make competitors products as unstable as their own stuff. It would be like Company A making a great word processor for Windows that's super-stable and bug-free. Then, Microsoft would change the Windows code (in some sort of update) to deliberately make Company A's word processor buggy. They've been called to the table for that kind of behavior. To my knowledge, Apple has not done that.

Furthermore, what Apple does with iDVD is their business. Would I like to see it work with external DVD burners? Yes. Do I expect it? No. There is no anti-competitive shananigans here at all. Apple bundles iDVD with their own hardware. Since Apple does not sell external DVD burners, they shouldn't have to add support for such devices. Here's an analogy: Is Apple guilty of anti-trust behavior because they do not bundle Windows software for iPods? Of course not, so why should Apple be expect to support hardware that they do not sell?

SPG
Apr 15, 2002, 03:47 PM
I'd also like to point out that iDVD is free. Apple doesn't make their machines incompatible with external burners. You can very easily buy a third party software package and a DVD burner that will work fine together, though not as seamlessly as iDVD and a built in superdrive.