Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2002
Buyersguide.macrumors.com says iMac is due for update. I wonder how it would be updated besides Bluetooth and FireWire 800? Faster processor? 19" Screen? New case?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
19" LCD : maybe

FW800 : no - its a pro thing not for consumers

BT built-in : likely - everyone has a mobile phone

New Case : unlikely - this one does not really need revising. If they did though I would be interested as they would (as apple usually does) do a good job.

Faster proc : certain - the 800Mhz G4 is now so far out of date .... i think they would have a 1Ghz and a 1.25Ghz model.

Anything else? Yeah - a better gfx card set across the range. If they do redo the case I hoppe that they allow us to from now on access ALL of the RAM slots.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yep, the G4 still is pretty bad.

I wanted my iMac to last long... but it aint looking well now...

I only got it a year from this upcoming winter and there have been 2 Revisions...

:( :mad:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yep, the G4 still is pretty bad.

I wanted my iMac to last long... but it aint looking well now...

I only got it a year from this upcoming winter and there have been 2 Revisions...

:( :mad:

Well, that's not too far off the mark. In the past Apple has had about a 6 month product cycle. And why do you not think your iMac will last? Your computer will last until your needs out grow it. My "everyday" computer is a 3 year old P3 800 that I built myself (and she's not getting replaced until I can afford a Powerbook). Of course I don't push this machine hard but she does all I need her to do.

Lethal

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Well, that's not too far off the mark. In the past Apple has had about a 6 month product cycle. And why do you not think your iMac will last? Your computer will last until your needs out grow it. My "everyday" computer is a 3 year old P3 800 that I built myself (and she's not getting replaced until I can afford a Powerbook). Of course I don't push this machine hard but she does all I need her to do.

Lethal

I tried playing UT2K3.

That is why.

If I can't play that... :(

Games in years ahead will be *way* past me.

Originally posted by applemacdude
Maybe Panther® Will make the iMac a bit faster? Anyways I think I'm going to get and iMac or a powerbook

A little bit, but not tons.

Basically I want upgradabality.

I want to replace the Video card, if not the CPU, the iMac does not allow me w/o massive ripping it to shreds.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by MrMacman
I tried playing UT2K3.

That is why.

If I can't play that... :(

Games in years ahead will be *way* past me.

A little bit, but not tons.

Basically I want upgradabality.

I want to replace the Video card, if not the CPU, the iMac does not allow me w/o massive ripping it to shreds.

If you wanted expandibility and/or upgradability why did you buy an iMac in the first place?

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.