Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I can't find anything on the web to refute the following:

[1] PS3 GHIII controller does not work with any PS2 GH games, so you still cannot play PS2 GH games on the PS3. Guess I'm keeping that console hooked up a bit longer.

[2] The Rock Band controller does not appear to work with GH games, but that could possibly be rectified by release day [or maybe with a later patch?].

[3] The GHIII controller will work with RB, but does not have the 2nd set of fret buttons or the effects switch like the RB controller. So, limited functionality there.

I already have three friggin' wired guitar controllers [2 SG's for the PS2 and one Xplorer for the 360] and all prior GH games for both the PS2 and 360. Sounds like, if I want to get the most out of GHIII and Rock Band, I'm going to have to buy GHIII with a wireless controller [for any console] plus Rock Band. I'm going to need to build an extension on my house to store all of these things. grrrrrrr.....

Any words of advice?

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I am 99% sure that Rockband stuff will work with the guitar hero games.

And on the xbox IGN podcast they said that that ghIII guitars do work in Rockband but yeah you can't use the effects but everything I have heard says the GHIII guitar is way better than the Rockband guitar.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I don't see why they don't just use USB for all of them; all three consoles have it, and even some of the previous gen consoles.

Except the Wii, which is wireless.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Wii version works differently though, you plug the Wiimote into the guitar AFAIK. It runs off the Wiimotes wireless functions, unlike the PS3 and 360 versions.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
The Wii version works differently though, you plug the Wiimote into the guitar AFAIK. It runs off the Wiimotes wireless functions, unlike the PS3 and 360 versions.

The 360 controller uses the xbox wireless and has all the normal 360 controller buttons, including the home and directional buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.