Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Why is it that people could and did post PLENTY of threads on how they were running pirated copies of Leopard a couple days early. These threads were left alone for the most part. One post giving an early review even made the front page.

Now if someone posts a thread about how people are able to run Leopard on a PC is is taken care of quickly.

I'm just confused how or why protection of TOS seems more important than piracy here.

Thanks for any clarification here.

Sorry for posting here but didn't know where else to post this for an answer.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
This aint no democracy !

Who said it was a Democracy :rolleyes:

Thank you for moving it to the correct location. I am in no way suggesting that anyone is doing a poor job. I think the moderation here is handled very well.

This was just something I saw today and struck me odd is all.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I haven't been involved in the moderation in all of these threads, so I can't speak to individual cases

But, the problem with one I was involved in is that the site in question (How to run Leopard on PC) linked to bittorrents on where to pirate Leopard.

Discussion of this (running Leopard on a PC) should be allowed, but where to download Leopard is clearly not.

arn

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Discussion of this (running Leopard on a PC) should be allowed, but where to download Leopard is clearly not.

arn

So I can be clear on this, I have to ask: why isn't this a rules' violation? Other methods of terms and conditions subversion are not allowed to be discussed, so why is this one? Does it have to do with future potential?

Thanks Arn.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I haven't been involved in the moderation in all of these threads, so I can't speak to individual cases

But, the problem with one I was involved in is that the site in question (How to run Leopard on PC) linked to bittorrents on where to pirate Leopard.

arn

Thanks for the clarification Arn. Totally understand the quick moderation of anything linked to a pirated copy or even discussing the pirating of any software.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So I can be clear on this, I have to ask: why isn't this a rules' violation? Other methods of terms and conditions subversion are not allowed to be discussed, so why is this one? Does it have to do with future potential?

No, I think this policy had been revisited recently, and that was the side we came down to. With any topic, there's a spectrum of discussion. Let's take piracy. We've never tabooed the topic of piracy. Piracy exists, many people participate, but it is clearly an illegal activity. We have always allowed people to discuss piracy as a topic. People are welcome to admit that they pirate software, though this is at their own peril. Now, once you get into linking to copyrighted materials, and/or enabling piracy in other ways. That crosses the line into illegal activity which we can't allow.

So similarly, any topic about Running Mac OS X on a PC, or Hacking the iPhone should certainly be allowed as a topic of discussion -- regardless of our policy on subverting licensing agreements.

Things, however, become more muddy as you move from talking about a topic, to getting help on how to do it.

With EULA/license agreements, or any other agreement between you and another individual.... breaking these agreements is not technically against the law, and I also don't feel it's MacRumors responsibility to police everyone's licensing agreements, and there's always a debate about whether or not their are even enforceable.

The problem with this topic in particular (Mac OS X on a PC) is it tends to go hand-in-hand with piracy of Mac OS X. I don't think many would necessarily begrudge an individual from buying Mac OS X Leopard and somehow installing it on his PC. But most of the internet talk of it involves pirating Mac OS X to start. That makes it hard to discuss separately, and which is why we end up seeing so many moderation issues surrounding this particular topic.

arn

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
No, I think this policy had been revisited recently, and that was the side we came down to. With any topic, there's a spectrum of discussion. Let's take piracy. We've never tabooed the topic of piracy. Piracy exists, many people participate, but it is clearly an illegal activity. We have always allowed people to discuss piracy as a topic. People are welcome to admit that they pirate software, though this is at their own peril. Now, once you get into linking to copyrighted materials, and/or enabling piracy in other ways. That crosses the line into illegal activity which we can't allow.

So similarly, any topic about Running Mac OS X on a PC, or Hacking the iPhone should certainly be allowed as a topic of discussion -- regardless of our policy on subverting licensing agreements.

Things, however, become more muddy as you move from talking about a topic, to getting help on how to do it.

With EULA/license agreements, or any other agreement between you and another individual.... breaking these agreements is not technically against the law, and I also don't feel it's MacRumors responsibility to police everyone's licensing agreements, and there's always a debate about whether or not their are even enforceable.

The problem with this topic in particular (Mac OS X on a PC) is it tends to go hand-in-hand with piracy of Mac OS X. I don't think many would necessarily begrudge an individual from buying Mac OS X Leopard and somehow installing it on his PC. But most of the internet talk of it involves pirating Mac OS X to start. That makes it hard to discuss separately, and which is why we end up seeing so many moderation issues surrounding this particular topic.

arn

So discussing the merits of installing OS X on a PC is fine, but asking for help on how to do it is not? Or, it's ok to ask for help on how to do it as long as the person has bought a legit copy?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So discussing the merits of installing OS X on a PC is fine, but asking for help on how to do it is not? Or, it's ok to ask for help on how to do it as long as the person has bought a legit copy?

I would think asking for help would be ok at least in terms of the "official rules". But there's a difference between something being allowed vs something people will allow. The culture here tends to be against it for various reasons, so you might get some community push-back with those topics.

arn

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I would think asking for help would be ok at least in terms of the "official rules". But there's a difference between something being allowed vs something people will allow. The culture here tends to be against it for various reasons, so you might get some community push-back with those topics.

arn

Yes the community is very strong here (which is why I love this site). Overall, I'm willing to entertain the thought of OS X being installed on a PC, but my thoughts on the nature of the OS 'contract' are still undecided.

I guess the easiest answer is to simply report posts that I believe are in bad faith (pirated copy).

Thanks again Arn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.