Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider notes that development of Quicktime 6.4 has been completed.

The newest version of Quicktime is said to incorporate 3GPP and multi-channel AAC, and should be incorporated in Panther (Mac OS X 10.3), according to the rumor site.

Quicktime 6.3 was released in June alongside iSync 1.1. Quicktime 6.3 first brought 3GPP support -- which is aimed at mobile audio/video applications

nascarcm24

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
Santa Barbara, California
cool sounds like good news, but after reading the article, how is 5.1 acc audio encoding going to make a difference in the way we listen to music? Aren't cds made primarly for stereo situations? We would just be trying to add channels that don't exist. OR is the article just saying that support for playing these types of files is now available? Correct me if I am wrong please..

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
QuickTime 6.4 should be a stand-alone download. After all, we have to pay for QuickTime Pro seperately from the OS purchase.

beefstu01

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2002
CA
Kinda off topic, but Arn, what time zone are you in? *chuckles* It's 2 AM Eastern and I see this... don't you ever sleep?

(I'm not because I'm studying like crazy for a chem test tomorrow)

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
someone mentioned on a forum that qt6.4 would have divx integration (including those with mp3 audio).

anyone heard anything about this before? It would be nice.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by nascarcm24
cool sounds like good news, but after reading the article, how is 5.1 acc audio encoding going to make a difference in the way we listen to music? Aren't cds made primarly for stereo situations? We would just be trying to add channels that don't exist. OR is the article just saying that support for playing these types of files is now available? Correct me if I am wrong please..

There is multichannel DVD audio. Also, this could be more useful (though, mentally, I haven't processed how because of sound quality on AAC doesn't measure up yet) for transferring audio files for audio pros (where you multitrack anyway) Once again, I haven't figured out how this could supplant .aiff with its uncompressed audio quality, but it is possible in the future.

--------------------------------------------
there's "a rat" in "separate"

nightporter

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2003
Australia
"According to MacBidoubille (France), the next version of Apples iTunes and their new iTunes online Music Store will support the DVD-A audio format.This will include the ability to burn DVDA".

Vroem

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Originally posted by punter
someone mentioned on a forum that qt6.4 would have divx integration (including those with mp3 audio).

anyone heard anything about this before? It would be nice.
Apple already has 'DivX', but it's called by its official name: MPEG-4.
DivX (and also 3ivx and XviD) are all doing the same thing: encode video in MPEG-4.
(So in theory they could be used as an alternative for apple's video compressor when creating mp4 files. Unfortunately this is not yet possible with QuickTime 6.3. That's maybe what you read in the other forum. In the meantime you need OpenShiiva to do this)

MPEG-4 files are much better than the so called 'DivX'-avi files.

fantomas1976

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
bosotn
Originally posted by nightporter
"According to MacBidoubille (France), the next version of Apples iTunes and their new iTunes online Music Store will support the DVD-A audio format.This will include the ability to burn DVDA".

wow, that would be great news! just the ability to burn DVD-A would be awesome. I wonder though about downloading DVD-A tracks...even though they are packed via MLP, they still would be huge downloads. Though I do remember awhile back a rumor that apple was in talk with Minnetonka Audio (the peole who make DVD-A burning/authoring software) about getting the technology into DVDSP or itunes..so maybe there is some truth there. Maybe done through multichannel AAC instead of MLP.

On another note, which i asked before but hopefully someone here knows...Can any of you guys/girls running 10.3 tell me if in the new Quicktime and or Itunes can produce variable bit rate AAC files? I know it is quassi VBR now (having specific bit rates)....but I was hoping that with Panther it went full VBR.. For example instead of 192 AAC you can get a 203 AAC (VBR) file.I am looking for AAC to act like VBR mp3 does. Where the bit rate you enter is the mininum bit rate that is encoded and if a song needs it can go higher for tougher to encode parts and lower for easier parts.. right now AAC, though not technically CBR or ABR (because it has a variable bit reservoir), behaves like it is. If i was to encode silence, under VBR mp3 I would get a "lower" bit rate where as in AAC I still get the same bit rate no matter the material I give it.. I heard that Apple was working on implementing true VBR AAC, but I was just hoping one of you could confirm if It was it Panther or not..

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
Originally posted by fantomas1976

On another note, which i asked before but hopefully someone here knows...Can any of you guys/girls running 10.3 tell me if in the new Quicktime and or Itunes can produce variable bit rate AAC files?

As for iTunes, no...no VBR option with ACC...Panther comes with the same version as 10.2.6...

booshtukka

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2003
on divx and quicktime

Maybe MPEG-4 is the best way to go, but the point - to me - is that i download a file and can't play it. this drives me mad. i don't care whether this is the best way the file could have been encoded, or what, i just want to play it! so, good that windows media player formats will be available on the mac. i don't have to encode with them, but i'd still like to be able to decode them.

as well as that, i think quicktime is awful! it might play back the files perfectly, but to have to buy it to get full screen functionality is ridiculous! and how can iTunes be so perfect, and then quicktime doesn't even support playlists??? (i would love to be told i'm wrong) - why not even incorporate video playback into iTunes? i have an awful lot of music videos for example.

i'm sorry, i love iTunes to pieces, but i think wmp is better than quicktime for functionality, and useability. a lot better.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by Vroem
Apple already has 'DivX', but it's called by its official name: MPEG-4.

Isn't DivX a Microsoft bastardization of MPEG-4?

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
The DivX codec was not really the problem - various people have at various times produced quicktime codecs that support the various flavors of it. The real problem is AVIs with variable bit rate (mp3) audio. VBR is non-standard for AVIs, but all AVI-supporting media players allow it and people almost always use it these days. All media players except Quicktime, that is, which doesn't seem to see the point of supporting a non-standard playback mode, even if 99.9% of the AVI files out there use it. I've been waiting for them to remedy this problem for at least 5 years and they've done nothing. So I'm not exactly holding my breath. For a while there things were really bad, until MPlayerOSX and VideoLanClient came out, which support pretty much everything. Now I only use Quicktime for quicktime files.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
Multi Channel

multi channel aac and the possibility of dvd-a... absolutely fabulous news!

besides better compression, and what 3d video?, what more could we ask for?

Vroem

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Re: on divx and quicktime

Originally posted by booshtukka
as well as that, i think quicktime is awful! it might play back the files perfectly, but to have to buy it to get full screen functionality is ridiculous! and how can iTunes be so perfect, and then quicktime doesn't even support playlists??? (i would love to be told i'm wrong) - why not even incorporate video playback into iTunes? i have an awful lot of music videos for example.

i'm sorry, i love iTunes to pieces, but i think wmp is better than quicktime for functionality, and useability. a lot better.
The QuickTime Player was not designed to have lots of playback features, instead the QuickTime file format provides an interactivity that is the best in its class. I think the reason why features like "manual full screen" are pro features is because Apple wants to boost the development of interactive movies (ie with a full screen button inside the movie -- this doesn't require QT Pro).

The MPEG guys did understand Apple's filosophy very well, that's why they based their MPEG-4 format on it.

Also I think that the QuickTime Player is more a QuickTime editor. So comparing QuickTime Player with Windows Media Player doesn't work. If it would, I would conclude that QT is better than WMP because: I can rotate vertical videos from a videocamera (yes some people come to me with vertical video's), I can change the instruments of midi files to one of the beautiful sound fonts I installed, I can make chapters in my movies, I can export my movies to whatever format I want, I can make a slide show by combining a PDF and an mp3 file, ...

If you don't want these editing features and want more playback features: there are other players that use QuickTime.

And can somebody explain to me why you would need playlists in the "QuickTime Editor", while you alredy have it in iTunes? (There must be a reason but I can't figure it out.)

Loopy

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Cornwall UK

Originally posted by legion
There is multichannel DVD audio. Also, this could be more useful (though, mentally, I haven't processed how because of sound quality on AAC doesn't measure up yet) for transferring audio files for audio pros (where you multitrack anyway) Once again, I haven't figured out how this could supplant .aiff with its uncompressed audio quality, but it is possible in the future.

--------------------------------------------
there's "a rat" in "separate"

When my 2Gig G5 turns up & Logic supports the format in mixdown. I'll upload 5.1 mixes of my songs to my website Just for fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.