PDA

View Full Version : My PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 Liquid Cooled just went up in smoke! *UPDATED*

Crawn2003
Oct 29, 2007, 03:40 AM
As the title says, it just went up in smoke! It's about 4:35 a.m. right now (EST) and around 4 a.m. I heard this loud POP! POP POP POP POP ZEEEEEZZEZ POP!

I jumped out of bed and ran to my office where I found the entire office in darkish color smoke and the G5 sitting there without power. Quickly ran it outside (afraid of fire around ALL of my photo gear and documents) where it sat smoking for a little while longer....

So it's unresponsive and won't turn on. Either it's a leak like everyone is getting or just the power supply. I didn't notice any water inside but really haven't been paying that much attention this morning (still groggy).

Now what do I do? It's still under AppleCare. Do they replace the parts or do they replace the entire unit? This is my server for my photo files and music!

~Crawn

UPDATE:
The Apple Store decided to replace the G5, finding that the cost of repair for the G5 would be around or more for replacement parts. In return they are sending back a Mac Pro.

I have to admit that they were really awesome there at the Apple Store and helped me along every step of the way.

Now to play the waiting game until the unit arrives.

~Crawn

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 03:42 AM
http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html#storytop

If the repairs take too long or they're unable to get parts you might be looking at a Mac Pro.

Wild-Bill
Oct 29, 2007, 03:58 AM
Please post pics. :D

FF_productions
Oct 29, 2007, 09:51 AM
:eek:

That is really scary!!

"My G5 burned down my house" is a thread I hope to never see.

Crawn2003
Oct 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

*Update*

Apple is replacing my Dual G5 with a Mac Pro. They have it ordered and should have it come in later this week. What was really a nice touch is that they are giving me the exact same amount of RAM and an equivalent HD. I'm very pleased that Apple really takes care of their buyers.

~Crawn

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 03:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

*Update*

Apple is replacing my Dual G5 with a Mac Pro. They have it ordered and should have it come in later this week. What was really a nice touch is that they are giving me the exact same amount of RAM and an equivalent HD. I'm very pleased that Apple really takes care of their buyers.

~CrawnLooks like getting replacement G5 parts is getting to hard.

I wish my 2.7 GHz was under AppleCare. :rolleyes:

amemoryoncelost
Oct 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
I've been following those threads on xlr8 for about a year now. So glad my 2.7 is covered and I check it weekly just to make sure. I think the reason apple isn't repairing them may partly be because of parts on backorder, but maybe because they're afraid of some sort of lawsuit, either involving this happening too often or just that, a house burning down.

Well, nice to hear you're getting taken care of. This makes me excited for leopard and the ease of backups. I'll be doing weekly backups as well as the checks inside for leaks.

dustin

Mac_Max
Oct 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
If anyone wants to take a proactive step (if they're not under Applecare) to ensure their cooling system is in good condition, they should open up the cooler and inspect the tubing to make sure there is no damage to the tubing.

These guys (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71) can also assist you if you want to redo the tubing in your loop or if you need to source a replacement pump. If nothing else you may want to take a picture of anything that looks suspect and post it there.

amemoryoncelost
Oct 30, 2007, 03:10 AM
open up the cooler and inspect the tubing

How do you open er up?

Wild-Bill
Oct 30, 2007, 03:39 AM

*Update*

~Crawn

Wow, you lucky dog!

PLEASE post pics of the post-mortem G5. :D

darthraige
Oct 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
Reminds me of the old PC days and my power supply going up. lol

tslowend
Oct 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
Here's a shot from my own debacle this summer. Down and out almost 6 weeks until they made the MacPro offer.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/tslowend/AppleAcid01.jpg

Eidorian
Oct 30, 2007, 10:25 PM
Here's a shot from my own debacle this summer. Down and out almost 6 weeks until they made the MacPro offer.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/tslowend/AppleAcid01.jpgThat looks almost as bad as computers that have been through fires.

Not that they work afterward...

deathshrub
Oct 30, 2007, 10:26 PM

Oh WOW :eek:

OP is extremely lucky to be getting a MP replacement.

JesterJJZ
Oct 30, 2007, 11:00 PM
Looks like getting replacement G5 parts is getting to hard.

I wish my 2.7 GHz was under AppleCare. :rolleyes:

My DP G5 2.5ghz is in the shop right now. Replacing just about everything they can. Logic board, both processors, ram, power supply. PArt of me hopes they can't fix it so I get a new machine. :D

For now I'm back on my old G4 DP 500mhz and doing ANYTHING is like pulling teeth. :eek:

synth3tik
Oct 30, 2007, 11:08 PM
Nice that they are sending you a Mac Pro. I will say you will love the computer.

I am sad though that you haven't posted any photos. It is like passing a car accident you know, you just can't help but to look:D

emilsjr
Oct 30, 2007, 11:48 PM
My DP G5 2.5ghz is in the shop right now. Replacing just about everything they can. Logic board, both processors, ram, power supply. PArt of me hopes they can't fix it so I get a new machine. :D

For now I'm back on my old G4 DP 500mhz and doing ANYTHING is like pulling teeth. :eek:

Just give it some time. My Dual 2.5 has gone through the same thing. They called to tell me they found the parts, replaced everything and still a no go. So, after 11 days in the shop, they gave me the offer to get the Mac Pro. It was ordered tonight and should be here soon.

Mackilroy
Oct 31, 2007, 12:00 AM
Awesome that you're getting an MP in replacement.

Crawn2003
Oct 31, 2007, 08:21 AM
I didn't get any photos unfortunately but you could see a little black area on the back. The worst was the smoke when I ran into the office! It was dark and VERY acrid smelling.

I was fully expecting them to just replace the parts and call it a day. When they came back after 10 minutes or so and said they were just replacing it with a Mac Pro I was surprised.

I'm just happy I went with the Apple Care when I bought it. I'd be in a world of hurt right now if I hadn't....

~Crawn

AdeFowler
Oct 31, 2007, 08:40 AM
Really pleased that things have worked out well Crawn2003

My AppleCare expires in December... this thread has convinced me to renew it.

JesterJJZ
Oct 31, 2007, 01:58 PM
Just give it some time. My Dual 2.5 has gone through the same thing. They called to tell me they found the parts, replaced everything and still a no go. So, after 11 days in the shop, they gave me the offer to get the Mac Pro. It was ordered tonight and should be here soon.

Well I've been without it for about a week now...

vohdoun
Oct 31, 2007, 03:25 PM
My AppleCare expires in December... this thread has convinced me to renew it.

Hows that possible... unless you're talking about the standard 1 Year that comes with any Mac.. after 3 years (add on 2 Years) thats it, game over... right?

Mac_Max
Nov 2, 2007, 02:51 AM
How do you open er up?

I'm not entirely sure but I'd imagine that it required removing the cooling device and removing screws from the bottom of it.

http://homepage.mac.com/thunderaudio/.Pictures/Web%20Quad/Top.jpg

You can see the insides there of one revision. The items on the left side are the radiators, on the far right the heatsinks for the L3 cache. The black devices are the pumps and the waterblocks look to be the grey boxes on the bottom of the device.

In My Professional Opinion® the putty looks suspect. I've never seen a system use that. Instead loops are generally kept water tight thanks to hose clamps (the silver things). Usually we use the automotive type. Possibly the putty dries over time and cracks. One solution to cracking there would be to give it a healthy dose of GOOP brand Marine RTV silicone (or any other, I just like GOOP). You'll want to literally smear it all around the barb connections.

The two pumps are Laing DDC pumps, also sold as the Swiftech MCP350. These are extremely dependable pumps used in many PC water cooling setups. I myself use the Liang D5 which you could almost consider to be the DDC's big brother... though that really has to go to the DDC+. Note that all three of the pumps I've mentioned have been revised so the original specs are not the same but for this purpose will function the same.

Replacement parts (http://www.petrastechshop.com/pumps.html)

You can also get replacement tubing, anticorrosion additive, and hose clamps from there as well.

Laing's website (http://lainginc.com/) (IIRC they're a devision of Delphi, as can be seen by the Delphi logo on the pump)

amemoryoncelost
Nov 2, 2007, 04:30 PM
My first year of applecare expired in sept. Got it until sept of 2009. Hopefully nothing happens between then..

AdeFowler
Nov 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
Hows that possible... unless you're talking about the standard 1 Year that comes with any Mac.. after 3 years (add on 2 Years) thats it, game over... right?
Sadly you're right - I never realised that :(