PDA

View Full Version : Hackers Install Leopard on Intel PCs

MacBytes
Oct 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Hackers Install Leopard on Intel PCs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071029085224)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Foxglove9
Oct 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
I noticed this on torrent sites a few days ago. I knew it wouldn't be long before it got cracked. My friend is probably very happy, though he seemed content running his Tiger hack. Pretty cool.

twoodcc
Oct 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
you knew it would happen, though i'm surprised this soon

flopticalcube
Oct 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
Once again :rolleyes:, the underlying DailyApps article (which was first seen here on Saturday), implies piracy. You have to start with a "patched" version of Leopard. Old news.... very old news... even for MacBytes which has already posted a previous article pointing out the hack.

ttopp
Oct 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
I noticed this on torrent sites a few days ago. I knew it wouldn't be long before it got cracked. My friend is probably very happy, though he seemed content running his Tiger hack. Pretty cool.

how does a "hacked tiger install" preform on a pc?

Mudbug
Oct 29, 2007, 09:46 AM
even for MacBytes which has already posted a previous article pointing out the hack.

I _thought_ I'd posted one already, but couldn't remember, so I ran with it again. I've pulled it off today now - thanks for pointing it out.

flopticalcube
Oct 29, 2007, 11:43 AM
I _thought_ I'd posted one already, but couldn't remember, so I ran with it again. I've pulled it off today now - thanks for pointing it out.

You're very welcome. I appreciate your contributions.

Eidorian
Oct 29, 2007, 11:44 AM
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Mac OS X Server Software. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Mac OS X Server software (the “Mac OS X Server Software”) on a single Apple-labeled computer. You may also install and use other copies of Mac OS X Server Software on the same Apple-labeled computer, provided that you acquire an individual and valid license from Apple for each of these other copies of Mac OS X Server Software.Oh Snap!

jblodgett
Oct 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
This is great news, IMO.

I don't know why Apple doesn't open up its OS to allow for installation on other machines.

I am sure they would lose out on some hardware sales - so I understand that part of it. But wouldn't that cost be ofset by software sales?

Foxglove9
Oct 29, 2007, 02:22 PM
how does a "hacked tiger install" preform on a pc?

Well lets just say he built the whole machine for $400 (Already had a case and hard drive), and running Tiger SMOKED my Macbook out of the water, especially with Photoshop CS3.

It was originally a hobby/experiment (we had 3 other computers in the apartment) but it ran so well that he used it as a main computer.

Now the downside is.. you can't just perform software updates. That will crash the OS. And certain things you can't do and some tinkering with the OS will cause Kernel panics. I don't know much more about it, but i know it was rock solid in the year that he lived here running it.

He offered to build me one but I'm happy with my Apple made product.

ttopp
Oct 29, 2007, 04:23 PM
oh rite i was thinking o trying it out tay just as a c if i kin do type thing..

neonblue2
Oct 30, 2007, 05:27 AM
This is great news, IMO.

I don't know why Apple doesn't open up its OS to allow for installation on other machines.

I am sure they would lose out on some hardware sales - so I understand that part of it. But wouldn't that cost be ofset by software sales?

Only if they sold enough to compensate

Killyp
Oct 30, 2007, 07:51 AM
This is great news, IMO.

Because OS X is next to useless on third party hardware, it's so restrictive in what hardware you can use. The beauty of OS X is that it's designed to work on specific hardware (unlike Windows). It does a fantastic job with hardware 'just working'. It wouldn't quite be the same if Apple opened it up.

Also, Apple did open up the OS for a while, back in the days when they were losing buckets of money. Look where that got them. It took SJ to stop that practice and get Apple going again.

steviem
Oct 30, 2007, 08:42 AM
Oh Snap!

So thats what those Apple stickers included are for!

vffikoncer
Nov 3, 2007, 07:54 AM
oh rite i was thinking o trying it out tay just as a c if i kin do type thing..