PDA

View Full Version : PowerBooks in Paris?




MacRumors
Sep 9, 2003, 12:17 PM
PowerPage.org claims (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11373) that PowerBooks aren't like to be announced at Apple Expo. They also claim that it was not the Motorola Processor which is the bottleneck, but instead the assembly factory.

Previous reports from PowerPage (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/05/20030521115723.shtml) claimed the 15" PowerBooks were ready and waiting, just waiting for stock to deplete... in May.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is LoopRumors.com (http://www.looprumors.com/) -- with new PowerBooks "a certainty". LoopRumors recently was incorrect about details of the iMac update, claiming FW800 and case revisions would be accompanying yesterday's update.



chazmox
Sep 9, 2003, 12:24 PM
I really couldn't understand O'Grady's first point. First he says they have 10.2.7 installed, then a modified version of Panther... which is it???

He's has been wrong before about PB's. Also, remember he gave an outside chance to them being announced at MacWorld.

Hmmm... I'd fault LoopRumors less on their miss. They got the iMac updates right ( timeframe, if not the specs ) and they were saying it for several weeks.

Geez, lets HOPE they have PB's at Paris - if they don't what is Apple going to sell? MacPrices shows out-of-stocks everywhere.

One good note, the 17 inch has always been in stock - yesterday it went to 3-5 days on the Apple Store. The iMac did this the week before it's update...

mmmbop
Sep 9, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
[B]They also claim...

Previous reports...

On the opposite end of the spectrum is...

Oh brother, it's powerbook rumour time again!

arn
Sep 9, 2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by chazmox

Hmmm... I'd fault LoopRumors less on their miss. They got the iMac updates right ( timeframe, if not the specs ) and they were saying it for several weeks.


ThinkSecret said it first, though. The only "new" information they posted was incorrect.

arn

GrizzlyHippo
Sep 9, 2003, 12:30 PM
Finally the UK Apple Store has changed the 15" PB availability from next day to now 6-8 days.

Please Dog, let it be true.

Grizzly

Stella
Sep 9, 2003, 12:35 PM
Another PB rumor.. <big yawn/>

Maybe this one will be guessed correctly...

CmdrLaForge
Sep 9, 2003, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I really think that Steve will release the new powerbooks and more in Paris.

He will not stand on the podium with nothing in his hands and just make a Panther presentation. That will not happen. So if he hadn't another big thing he would at least have announced the new iPods and iMacs in Paris. But that didn't happen. They have been released this week. That means he has something to release next week.

Powerbooks are coming.

crees!
Sep 9, 2003, 01:19 PM
fack!

nagromme
Sep 9, 2003, 02:15 PM
I'm not saying PD updates are certain, but I doubt PowerPage's sources. They say PowerBooks may ship with a modified version of Panther that lacks the new Finder?!? I don't think so. Panther will be released complete and to everyone, not incomplete just to PowerBook buyers.

Lanbrown
Sep 9, 2003, 02:27 PM
PowerPage is definitely wrong about the processor. If the processor wasn't the holdup, then why doesn't the iMac have it? It is faster, consumes less power, has twice the cache and a faster bus, all of which would contribute to a better performing system. The 7457 has not been seen and was due this quarter. If it was available, I think Apple would be using it, especially since it was suppose to be cheaper then the 7455.

noneis
Sep 9, 2003, 02:43 PM
this had BETTER be wrong, i cant take much more of this stuff. i will buy anything they release a this point,

please apple deliver me from the valley of the shadow of death.

cubist
Sep 9, 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
PowerPage is definitely wrong about the processor. If the processor wasn't the holdup, then why doesn't the iMac have it? It is faster, consumes less power, has twice the cache and a faster bus, all of which would contribute to a better performing system. The 7457 has not been seen and was due this quarter. If it was available, I think Apple would be using it, especially since it was suppose to be cheaper then the 7455.

100% right, Lanbrown! And following from that, since the iMac just came out and doesn't have it, if there are PBs coming out, they won't have it either... and that makes no sense, so therefore there are no PBs coming out!

Jackrabbit Slim
Sep 9, 2003, 02:49 PM
any idea when PB G5s would be coming out? I find it unlikely that if 15" PBs were released in Paris would be G5s, but is it possible? Why would apple wait so long in between making two new powerbooks and a third one without some major upgrade?
On a different note, I think I'm going to upgrade from my ibook soon, but I'm wondering if I should hold off and then get a G5. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thanks!

-jesse

SiliconAddict
Sep 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Slim
any idea when PB G5s would be coming out? I find it unlikely that if 15" PBs were released in Paris would be G5s, but is it possible? Why would apple wait so long in between making two new powerbooks and a third one without some major upgrade?
On a different note, I think I'm going to upgrade from my ibook soon, but I'm wondering if I should hold off and then get a G5. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thanks!

-jesse

Depends on where they are at designing the chipset. If its close to being done 1st quarter. If it still in development (Who does development anyways? Apple or IBM?) It could be the summer. Simply...no one knows. Its total speculation at this point.

I do hope its 1st quarter. Mmmm 17" PowerBook G5. Yummy.

Plutoniq
Sep 9, 2003, 03:11 PM
Just because the Imac updates didn't sport the new 7457 G4 doesn't mean Apple won't throw 'em into the Powerbooks.

If yields are a problem with the 7457, I'd see Apple using every precious one they can get there hands on for the Powerbook line........ It is there where heat is much more of an issue, not to mention the Powerbook is Apple's "Pro" portable.....the Imac is "intended" to be a consumer machine, where would u throw the flagship G4 if you've only got a few to play with?

p

SiliconAddict
Sep 9, 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by cubist
100% right, Lanbrown! And following from that, since the iMac just came out and doesn't have it, if there are PBs coming out, they won't have it either... and that makes no sense, so therefore there are no PBs coming out!

Not quite. If the 7457 is truly in short supply they are going to go with their higher end product to ship them in. Apple has to pick and choose where to place these chips because Moto is composed of a bunch of idiots. :mad:

sonofslim
Sep 9, 2003, 03:14 PM
i have to say, the "why release iMacs/iPods a week before the expo if there's nothing bigger in the pipeline" is the most solid argument re: updates that i've seen in the past... what, six months now?

i'm not going to go so far as to say PBs are arriving next week (i refuse to play the PB rumor game any longer) but i do think this is good evidence that we'll see something worthwhile next Tues.

Powerbook G5
Sep 9, 2003, 03:29 PM
Damn logic!

Puppies
Sep 9, 2003, 03:31 PM
(Who does development anyways? Apple or IBM?)

Apple developed the PowerMac G5's chipset.

I'm not holding my breath for updates, but they HAVE to be coming soon now. They'd better have good GPUs, and good prices if they're just G4s...

Marble
Sep 9, 2003, 04:37 PM
Everyone's just wrong. No one seems to know anything. Whoever Loop Rumors and Power Page get their rumors from is most likely a decrepit transient who camps out in a can on Infinite Loop, maybe filters through some trashed documents once and a while. So far, that's all we've gotten out of these rumor-mills so far: Trash.
The Register seems to have it in order, Think Secret is on the ball, and Mac Rumors does a great job putting all the rest in perspective. The amount of salt that I've been taking with these new rumors has made me sick. Ugh.

crees!
Sep 9, 2003, 05:12 PM
From Macbidouille:

"We mentionned a few times the more than tense relationships between Apple and Motorola. Things are not getting better, quite the contrary. Steve Jobs allegedly came down a few days ago at Motorola main offices. One says that strong words would have been exchanged. Very Angry And Not Happy Steve is said to have called the G4 a "Tonka Truck Processor". (To explain this, you might remember the Tonka toys, cranes, trucks, ...) By this, Steve hinted that he considered the G4 a toy compared to the G5."

Tonka Truck Processor.. that is just the laugh I needed.

tizza
Sep 9, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hi,

I really think that Steve will release the new powerbooks and more in Paris.

He will not stand on the podium with nothing in his hands and just make a Panther presentation. That will not happen. So if he hadn't another big thing he would at least have announced the new iPods and iMacs in Paris. But that didn't happen. They have been released this week. That means he has something to release next week.

Powerbooks are coming.
I agree. The very fact that iMac updates have come out now means Apple have more up there sleeve for Paris. In fact it looks even less likely now that the PB updates will be simple speedbumps - MAY IT BE SO!

job
Sep 9, 2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Marble
The Register seems to have it in order

The Reg? Heh, surely you jest. That's the same page that floated the first few G5 rumors years ago, G5s which were apparently just a few months away (in 2000/2001.) :p

Marble
Sep 9, 2003, 06:03 PM
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about..

job
Sep 9, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Marble
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about..

It's all cool... :p

The Reg has a lot of articles, most of which sound plausible. Most of them we would like to be true as well. ;)

Mineral
Sep 9, 2003, 06:47 PM
I tried to place an order for a 15" Powerbook from PowerMax today, and I got a prompt reply saying that I should wait, because they'll be updated soon to be more like the 12" and 17" ones.. and that they were out of them anyway. (and had been for a while)

QCassidy352
Sep 9, 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Mineral
I tried to place an order for a 15" Powerbook from PowerMax today, and I got a prompt reply saying that I should wait, because they'll be updated soon to be more like the 12" and 17" ones.. and that they were out of them anyway. (and had been for a while)

but i wonder if they know that for a fact, or are just jumping to the logical conclusion like the rest of us...

crees!
Sep 9, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
but i wonder if they know that for a fact, or are just jumping to the logical conclusion like the rest of us...

My guess is that they used the "jump to conclusion" mat from Office Space.

Phil Of Mac
Sep 9, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Slim
any idea when PB G5s would be coming out? I find it unlikely that if 15" PBs were released in Paris would be G5s, but is it possible?

I would say that it would be unlikely that any PowerBook that WASN'T a G5 would be released in Paris. Unless Steve wants an uncomfortable silence followed by polite clapping after the introduction, at least.

Apple know about the G5 long enough ahead of time to make a PowerBook G5 chipset. I would rate G5's as a very, very strong possibility.

Originally posted by crees!
From Macbidouille:

"We mentionned a few times the more than tense relationships between Apple and Motorola. Things are not getting better, quite the contrary. Steve Jobs allegedly came down a few days ago at Motorola main offices. One says that strong words would have been exchanged. Very Angry And Not Happy Steve is said to have called the G4 a "Tonka Truck Processor". (To explain this, you might remember the Tonka toys, cranes, trucks, ...) By this, Steve hinted that he considered the G4 a toy compared to the G5."

Tonka Truck Processor.. that is just the laugh I needed.

That sounds like Steve Jobs all right...

cb911
Sep 9, 2003, 09:32 PM
okay, this is just weird. now there's different sources saying completely different things.:confused:

he he. Scum-o-rola is now making Tonka Truck Processors. :D LOL.

Sun Baked
Sep 9, 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by cb911
okay, this is just weird. now there's different sources saying completely different things.:confused:

he he. Scum-o-rola is now making Tonka Truck Processors. :D LOL. Hopefully they ARE using the Motorola processor in the Tonka Truck (http://www.mytonka.net/) ...

I thought the big yellow Ford Tonka Truck was a decent looking brute.

Mineral
Sep 9, 2003, 10:39 PM
The thought of Steve going into Moto's office and yelling at people just makes me smile :D

We need to drop Moto altogether.. just stick with IBM and let them know how good we'll make it for them if they decide to ramp-up processor production/development for Apple!

Mac Dummy
Sep 9, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Slim
any idea when PB G5s would be coming out? I find it unlikely that if 15" PBs were released in Paris would be G5s, but is it possible? Why would apple wait so long in between making two new powerbooks and a third one without some major upgrade?
On a different note, I think I'm going to upgrade from my ibook soon, but I'm wondering if I should hold off and then get a G5. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thanks!

-jesse

I heard it might be as late as June 2004, when they finally ship that is. I have to check my sources though.:(

Mineral
Sep 9, 2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Mac Dummy
I heard it might be as late as June 2004, when they finally ship that is. I have to check my sources though.:(

@*&#%!!!!

I don't care anymore about G5's.. I just want faster, cheaper aluminum powerbooks (15") with backlit keys and bluetooth/airport standard.

Schtu
Sep 9, 2003, 11:55 PM
Read into what you want, but I just received the newest catalog from Microcenter and there were NO 15in. PBs advertised. Only 12 and 17in. ones, as well as 12 and 14in G3s. The new G5 towers WERE advertised. Personally, I'd like to think that it means something, but like everyone here ... it's been a long wait so far.

Mineral
Sep 9, 2003, 11:59 PM
All I know is I just sold my iMac on EBay and I need a new powerbook to replace it ASAP!!!!!

COME ON APPLE!!!!!! :mad:

Schtu
Sep 10, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Mineral
@*&#%!!!!

I don't care anymore about G5's.. I just want faster, cheaper aluminum powerbooks (15") with backlit keys and bluetooth/airport standard.

Agreed Mineral. The G5 PB - in my opinion - is not a priority purchase for me. The priority is a reliable machine that has some of the great features that were introduced with the 17in PB this year (such as what you mentioned) that will help productivity and enhance the user experience.

Also, it had been reported in MacWorld and other magazines that Steve thought that the G5s would reach the 3 GHz mark by summer of 2004. Regardless of whether this is accurate or not, giving a platform some time to develop and stabalize is always the smartest approach to purchasing a Mac. But again, that's my opinion, and some would argue that the G4 is extinct and a dinosaur compared to the G5.javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:') But the facts remain that the G4 is a very solid computer, is fast for most practical applications (I'm a graphic and web designer) and "get's the job done." With price slashes, and added features, I'll await a G4 15in PB and then look at a replacement 1 1/2-2 years from now when the G5 is proven, solid, and hitting benchmarks that far supersede any PC in the market.javascript:smilie(':)')

hmmm
Sep 10, 2003, 04:03 AM
I ordered a PB 12" at the end of last week and Apple have said that the extimated shipping date will be in two weeks - Does this mean that they're waiting to send out an updated PB? I know that's how apple work, if an update comes out while an order is live, the newer version is shipped - But it still leaves me with the question whether I cancel the order and wait, or whether I get lucky -

cb911
Sep 10, 2003, 05:33 AM
mineral, you just sold your iMac on eBay? i sold my TiBook before WWDC! and now i'm getting really desprate!! ggnnaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!:mad: :eek:

hmmm asks the question:

Q: Should i cancel my order and wait? Or hang in there and hope i get a new PowerBook?

well, that's a good question hmmm. i would have to say without a doubt that the best thing to do is keep your order. if they ship your PowerBook as a current model, well at least you'll have a Mac. if you cancel and nothing is released, then it will probably be quite a wait.

tpjunkie
Sep 10, 2003, 08:52 AM
Here we go again...I mean, COME ON Apple. :rolleyes:

Mathieu
Sep 10, 2003, 09:15 AM
ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com) reports:

PowerBook upgrades are expected any day now, also prior to Panther's release.

They seem to agree with LoopRumors, which is a _very_ good news indeed :D!

sonofslim
Sep 10, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Schtu
The G5 PB - in my opinion - is not a priority purchase for me. The priority is a reliable machine that has some of the great features that were introduced with the 17in PB this year (such as what you mentioned) that will help productivity and enhance the user experience.

right on! in a nutshell, reliable machines with great features that help productivity and enhance the user experience are what make me pro-mac.

although, this thought has been quietly nagging at the back of my mind: what if apple released the iMac/iPod now to make way for a giant star-of-the-show bling-bling shazam release of the new PBs in a blinding flash of pure white light in an effort to distract us from the fact that it's going to be just a speedbump and a case rev?

you know, dress it up like a superstar and give it center stage at its very own expo, not sharing the spotlight with anything, and everyone falls for the hype and oohs and ahs over what is really nothing more than an unexcuseably long-overdue update... like, the emperor's new laptop has no clothes!

sorry, that's just the cup-is-half-empty part of my brain speaking.

petey
Sep 10, 2003, 10:46 AM
I just started graduate school this week and am desperately waiting to order a 15" PB. Ive been waiting since WWDc. The way I figure it, if they arent released next week, Ill order anyways.

Logic suggests though that an update is coming SOON, PB's are out of stock everywhere, ship dates on the current models and being pushed back, I just hope that all this speculation leads up to me purchasing one next tuesday morning. My fingers are crossed!

cadester
Sep 10, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by hmmm
I ordered a PB 12" at the end of last week and Apple have said that the extimated shipping date will be in two weeks - Does this mean that they're waiting to send out an updated PB? I know that's how apple work, if an update comes out while an order is live, the newer version is shipped - But it still leaves me with the question whether I cancel the order and wait, or whether I get lucky -

I'm in the same boat...waiting on a 12" Powerbook for several weeks now. I contacted Apple yesterday and they said the computer was being built and is scheduled to ship by Friday...and my credit card was charged today. You have to consider that back to school sales have probably backed up shipments somewhat...given the 12" is listed is one of the most popular items on the Apple Store website.

If there are updates, you could always ship it back to them (unopened) and get a revised model. If you believe any of the rumors, most of them are saying it's the 15" and the 17" that are being updated, not the 12". Bright side is, you'll likely know something concrete by next Tuesday...either a revision is announced or your current order will ship.:) (Just think, if you keep the current 12" for a year you can sell it to the back to school crowd next year and purchase, dare I say, a G5 PB!!...which we KNOW will be out by then.)

Romanesq
Sep 10, 2003, 01:13 PM
I really feel for all these people that have been awaiting a 15" update. I would like to get one myself but am living okay for now.
If I was an Apple stockholder I'd be not feeling so great though.

It's clear that Steve is going to make some splash and not go to Paris without some hardware in hand. That must mean a Powerbook update and as usual these rumors build to a crescendo and this one peaked weeks ago.

I'll tell you one thing. I certainly don't expect any G5 PBs when the desktops haven't even been hitting shelves for any length of time. If in some miraculous fashion this did occur, I think there would be riots at Apple Stores around the globe.

I'd have to get in on that miracle too.

Dive, Dive, Dive... the credit card goes in.

What a crazy ride for the 15" PB.:p

Romanesq
Sep 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
Also,

The Apple Store now shows a 3-4 week shipping time for the 15".
Sounds to me like the new boy with the moto chip.

That's my guess.

crees!
Sep 10, 2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Romanesq
Also,

The Apple Store now shows a 3-4 week shipping time for the 15".
Sounds to me like the new boy with the moto chip.

That's my guess.

3-5 Business Days (Apple Store US) .. been like that for months

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 10, 2003, 03:09 PM
I'm just not even going to bother with speculation any more. If they're updated, great, if not, oh well. I'm happy with what I have now.

hose this!
Sep 10, 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by sonofslim
right on! in a nutshell, reliable machines with great features that help productivity and enhance the user experience are what make me pro-mac.

Well if that's the case, why should anyone be excited about a G5 PowerBook - ever?

Maybe Apple should just keep pumping out the same TiBooks until 2006, I mean, they'll still be reliable, sport a nice interface, and have an extremely stable OS, right?

For $2.5K, I want a machine that is reliable, has great features, and has a great future. The Mac OS and apps are moving to 64 bits, why would I invest that kind of money in a 32 bit laptop now?

Somebody please put a bullet in that G4 - it's pulling up lame.

eric67
Sep 11, 2003, 09:12 AM
I think many people here forget one point, but a key one.
Steve was announcing the year of portable computer for Apple, probably because info from Motorola were optimistic about the PPC 7457... well now I think it is quite clear that motorola can not deliver large volume of PPC7457...so if there is a speep bump it might be only with the new G4 found in the brand new iMac revision, and to get 1.25GHz in a PB, then you need a bigger cooling system, so you need more space, so expect it only for the 17", that's all I think we can postulate here.
as simple as that :
no PPC7457 = no major PBG4 update, at least for the processor.
only solution for Apple : get the G5 working in the PB, which means, control heating and battery life problems... and the latest rumors on that subjects were positive, but not for a release in 1 week....
We should stop expecting the moon from Apple, otherwise we will be disappointed, one should not forget, that most od the tech & dev resources have been lately concentrated on the PM G5, and this was a major shift for Apple.
one week to go

Schtu
Sep 11, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hose this!
Well if that's the case, why should anyone be excited about a G5 PowerBook - ever?

Maybe Apple should just keep pumping out the same TiBooks until 2006, I mean, they'll still be reliable, sport a nice interface, and have an extremely stable OS, right?

For $2.5K, I want a machine that is reliable, has great features, and has a great future. The Mac OS and apps are moving to 64 bits, why would I invest that kind of money in a 32 bit laptop now?

Somebody please put a bullet in that G4 - it's pulling up lame.

You're very right - if you can wait for a 64 bit computer, then that's the best bet. However, with Apple promising a 3 GHz G5 by next year, and knowing that machines take time to get perfect (remember the fan issues on the dual G4??), the smart money is waiting until this time next year for any kind of G5 - PB or tower.

And, like myself, some people need a laptop soon - for school or work - or like myself before the end of year for tax purposes. If the G4 has the needed updates, I'll purchase that solid machine.

Being caught up in the frenzy of "new" and "most powerful" is ridiculous. I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of people out there actually need all that machine. I'm a graphic designer and was working on my 9500 until this time last year when I updated to a dual G4. Granted, things moved much slower with the 9500, but I was still able to get work done. It (a new machine) only became necessary when my workload quadrupled.

Purchase the machine that fits your lifestyle and you'll be happy. Besides, as soon as you buy one, they're obsolete anyways...

:rolleyes:

Puppies
Sep 11, 2003, 03:20 PM
Hey, I'm a gamer, and given how much power Doom 3 needs, the dual 2Ghz G5 with a Radeon 9800 Pro is practically outdated :D

Schtu
Sep 11, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Puppies
Hey, I'm a gamer, and given how much power Doom 3 needs, the dual 2Ghz G5 with a Radeon 9800 Pro is practically outdated :D

LOL:D