Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Has anyone tried loading TinyXP in Boot Camp? The same disk I have used to install TinyXP on my Dell Laptop (successfully), I am trying to use to install it on my new iMac but it won't install. Always says, Disk error.

Should I format the partition to NTFS? On the setup screen where I pick where I want to install TinyXP, the BOOTCAMP partition is already set to FAT32 and I don't have the option to change it. I then proceed to install TinyXP, but on reboot I always get Disk Error. Anyone know why or how to correctly install TinyXP on my mac?

I have my legit copy of XP PRO but would rather not install all 3GB+ of it.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and the fix or work-around.

On another note, has anyone gotten TinyXP running in Parallels?

BTW, it's TinyXP Beast Edition.

Peace

M

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You MUST reformat the partition during the install process - whilst boot camp formats FAT32, it's not bootable.

I don't know TinyXP, but regular XP gives you the option to re-format during the install...

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
You MUST reformat the partition during the install process - whilst boot camp formats FAT32, it's not bootable.

I don't know TinyXP, but regular XP gives you the option to re-format during the install...

so i must format the new partition to NTFS? if yes, then say in the future I don't want XP on my mac anymore, can I just go to bootcamp settings and delete the partition?

Also, if i don't have the option to set it as NTFS and the only option I have is FAT32, the question is, in windows setup, what happens if i delete the BOOTCAMP partition, and recreate a new partition in its place, or should I not even go there....

Jkilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
It works

Just go through with it like you were going to install on the Fat32. After that you get an option on how you would like to format it. Weird, but it works. TinyXP does work on bootcamp. I don't know about parallels, but it does work on vmware... I know someone who is using it if you have anymore questions..

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Ok, so i'm at the screen where you select what partition you want to install Windows

the first is like 200MB (mac
the second is like 220G (mac)
the third says, "BOOTCAMP FAT 32"

I have the option to delete any partition and create a new one in windows setup

but I don't seemingly have the option to reformat it to NTFS.

Jkilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
do not delete any partitions.. select the bootcamp one as if u were going to install and after that u should have an option to format as ntfs.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Always interested in a custom better version of XP

Thanks in advance

I think it's a customized windows install cd...
you can customize your install cd yourself though using a tool called nlite.

augustgarage

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
Working?

Has anyone got TinyXP working via Boot Camp in Leopard? I have a legit copy of windows but the disk just spins indefinitely when I try to start up from it.

I have TinyXP on a disk which boots any PC I have put it in.

On my Macbook, after setting up a partition using Boot Camp, I put the TinyXP CD in, I get the TinyXP splash screen, and then a screen that says:

Error Booting From CD/DVD drive. Press any key to restart...
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][].........................................[80082900]

If I press anything it goes to a blank screen with a cursor and has to be powered down to restart.

Any clues? Thanks.

Crash-n-Burn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Always interested in a custom better version of XP

Thanks in advance

Tiny XP is basically XP with almost everything taken out of it. They get rid of most of the services, applications, and updates. Most people use it on really old machines, or for speed.

The only place that I can seem to find it though is on torrents.

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
Not sure if it works or not, but remember it has to be SP2 or later, so Tiny needs to have that at least... I'm interested as well.

esd

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I haven't tried it with Boot Camp, but I can confirm that TinyXP Platinum works. And somebody put a whole lot of time into customizing it.

You are correct, no key is needed.

maxz2040

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
CONFIRMED install of tinyXP on boot camp OSX 10.5.2

Hi all, i am a mac newb, just bought a macbook Pro 3 weeks ago for street cred as a producer, i inuitively use Fruity Loops for PC, so have been trtying for the past few weeks to run VmWare and parallels but finding the power not sufficient as natively running. so i have been for the past three days attempting tinyXP installs to the amount of say 50 times.

I am posting this just incase there is anyone in a similar situaion?

Fact: normal XP Pro SP2 will install without ahitch on boot camp

My hardware: Macbook Pro 2.2/2GB/10.5.2

To install Tiny Xp natively you will need:
Hirens Boot CD 9.2 or greater
OSX 10.5
Parallels Build 5xxx
TinyXP, ( i used platinum 2)
Bootcamp (duh)

Post Install Requirents:
Bootcamp Drivers (torrent bootcamp drivers 1.4)
Graphic drivers (for XP) via apple support

Instructions:
Run Bootcamp: Creat a Partition( i suggest 17Gb)
Click install windows later

Run Parallells
load the bootcamp Real Drive as the VM
load your hirens 9.2. iso
setup parallels to boot via CD
run acronis partition software, locate bootcamp drive and format to NTFS
exit when complete

Restart your mac with TinyXP in the drive
hold down the option key
boot from tinyXP CD

Install,
select the unknown drive (size allocated via bootcamp) and REFORMAT to NTFS, windows begins to install.
there will be a few reboots during installation, all of which you will have to be at the computer to hold the optioni key as you need to select the Windows HDD to run.

Once your on TinyXP
instsall my recomended drivers and you are set,

direct any questions you have at me, but i am happy to have figured out this issue and being a mac newb, it helps to know it can be done.!+:)

flomid

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
Hi all, i am a mac newb, just bought a macbook Pro 3 weeks ago for street cred as a producer, i inuitively use Fruity Loops for PC, so have been trtying for the past few weeks to run VmWare and parallels but finding the power not sufficient as natively running. so i have been for the past three days attempting tinyXP installs to the amount of say 50 times.

OSX 10.5
Parallels Build 5xxx
Bootcamp (duh)

Post Install Requirents:

Instructions:

Run Parallells
exit when complete

hold down the option key
boot from tinyXP CD

Install,
select the unknown drive (size allocated via bootcamp) and REFORMAT to NTFS, windows begins to install.
there will be a few reboots during installation, all of which you will have to be at the computer to hold the optioni key as you need to select the Windows HDD to run.

Once your on TinyXP

direct any questions you have at me, but i am happy to have figured out this issue and being a mac newb, it helps to know it can be done.!+:)

i have the same mbp as you with leopard 10.5.2 and the platinum 2 edition of tinyxp, but i cannot install it for some reason. i did everything you outlined in the post, but whenever i boot from disc using tinyxp i get to the tinyxp splash screen and it freezes. i thought i might be able to just install the whole thing using parallels and i got past the splash screen freezing and it went through to copy the setup files to my computer, but after that it can't boot from the partition. either way, i'm very stuck and would like some help if at all possible to get tinyxp running on bootcamp

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've never heard of it before, but I'm intrigued. Especially so because it states "you do not need any product key in this release".

Hmmm...bloat free version of Windows. Free. No product key required.

With out using your own product key it is illegal. It might be bloat free but it is definitely not free, pirated and stolen rather. No different than down illegialy loading a copy of OS X from the Internet.

meanrobot

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Hey,

just wanted to let you know that installing TinyXP Rev 09 via Boot Camp was a piece of cake. The instruction posted above is way to complicated.
You only have to format the Boot Camp partition once again while installing Windows, because Boot Camps way to format leads to booting errors with TinyXP.
You can use TinyXP for that (just choose "Delete Partition" in the installer) or, and thats what I did, just use your own copy of Windows to format the drive. When the Windows installation restarts the computer the first time, just hit the option key and switch the cds, from the "original" Windows to the TinyXP cd and just do a new install on the partition. This takes maybe 10 minutes.
I can only recommend you to install TinyXP because it is blazing fast and free of all the bloatware. I'm running as well high-end games (Mass Effect) and pro-audio stuff (USB audio interface and Ableton Live software) on a Macbook Pro (bought 8 weeks ago) and had not problems yet.
As long as you have a copy of windows i wouldn't mind to get the TinyXP torrent (which needs no CD-Key or activation).

BUT: Loading the Boot Camp partition into VMWare or Parallels did not work and destroyed it for me. After trying to install "VMWare tools" and "Parallels tools" I had no mouse or keyboard anymore when booting in XP so I had to delete it, create a new one and to reinstall XP the way described above.

Regards,
/M

aggieguard719

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Hey,
You can use TinyXP for that (just choose "Delete Partition" in the installer) or, and thats what I did, just use your own copy of Windows to format the drive.
/M

Is there any way to format the drive without using your own copy of Windows? Yes it is illegal... but I talked to a MAC genius and he suggested just to borrow Windows from a friend, I just happen to be borrowing Tiny XP from a friend.
Please help.

lich707

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
When I try to load TinyXP it says I have bad drivers and need to reinstall, when I try to load the disk to repair the installation, it won't go past the tiny xp intro page (the picture screen). Using TinyXP Rev 09 installation option 1 and Macbook Pro...
How do I install the drivers pack without loading XP? I was under the impression you had to load it to install them.

antistereo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
Cannot install tinyxp on 10.5.4

Has anyone got TinyXP working via Boot Camp in Leopard? I have a legit copy of windows but the disk just spins indefinitely when I try to start up from it.

On my Macbook, after setting up a partition using Boot Camp, I put the TinyXP CD in, I get the TinyXP splash screen, and then a screen that says:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][].........................................[80082900]

If I press anything it goes to a blank screen with a cursor and has to be powered down to restart.

Any clues? Thanks.

I'm having exactly this problem and I simply can't seem to get the tinyxp cd to work. Can anyone help?

Thx

kyubiboi

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008

OSX 10.5
Parallels Build 5xxx
Bootcamp (duh)

Post Install Requirents:

Instructions:

Run Parallells
exit when complete

hold down the option key
boot from tinyXP CD

Install,

Once your on TinyXP

Hey, I tried following these instructions, but when I can't get the option to format the bootcamp partition to NTFS when using acronis tool thing. I select the partition and press the format button, but nothing happens. Any help??

"roll your own" (nlite)

i'm mixing together what i've read here.
problems often seem to be home-burns and/or the cdrom that's reading the cd:
i googled bits related to that tinyxp err msg, and "intuitively" it appears related to the cd.
in my brief but intense experience with Linux livecds, older cdrom (pre2001) have trouble reading home burns.

i'd suggest trying to do this as lofi as you can. so, burn at slow speed, and perhaps to cd (not dvd). if the problem is with the cdrom reading, not sure what you can do.

instead of prefab nlite (eg, tinyxp), you can nlite your own (though nlite runs only on win). It's worth slipstreaming sp3 and choosing some "nobrainers".
Or, install your regular xp cd, then spend more time researching how to slim it down.

for some clues: each alt-install in the tinyxp iso includes "LastSession.ini" from the nlite process. it's a (suggestive) list of junk that nlite excluded.
After reading those, good chance you'll rather choose what *you* want to exclude.

i think the main slimmings in xp can be grouped as:
1) reg edits/tweaks (google those)
2) cp, add/remove, win components (easiest. self explanatory, eg: messenger)
3) services.msc (depends on your situation: single computer, or LAN, etc. google each service)

http://msfn.org/board/nLite-f89.html
btw, I suspect fat32 vs ntfs makes no diff.

flomid

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
FINALLY GOT TINYXP TO WORK ON MACBOOK PRO, HERE'S HOW:

All right so I am now posting from TinyXP Rev09 installed on my macbook pro. Its a little bit tricky but it can be done.

The main problem is that Boot Camp is an *******. When you use the boot camp assistant to partition the hard drive and start the installation the disc will either freeze at the tinyxp splash screen or you will get a disc error. However, if you have a regular copy of windows (still can be pirated, but just non-altered such as tinyxp) you can get it to work with a little swap trick.

So here's what to do:
Run the boot camp assistant from osx and hit start installation with your regular copy of windows inserted. With this it should start the DOS-like installation. When it gets to the choice of where to install windows you will see a boot camp partition. You need to format that partition to NTFS, but do not confuse formatting with deleting! Make sure you select the boot camp partition to install windows onto and when it asks if you would like to format choose NTFS. Afterwards it will copy a few files over and restart. Upon this restart hold the Option key and you will arrive at the boot screen. At this point switch the disc to your Tiny XP Rev 09 and boot from that disc. You will no longer get the disc read error or freeze at the splash screen. Continue to choose whichever version of the installation you like and it will goto that same windows DOS-like installer again. When prompted with the choice of where to install windows choose the boot camp partition once again. It will tell you that there is already a windows folder on the partition (from when it copied files over with the regular windows disc). Select the option to delete these files and install again. Now you will be installing from TinyXP and you should be completely unattended from here on out. Enjoy!

atstockland

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
tinyxp bootcamp install

I have followed all of these posts and I can not get past the disk error when trying to boot from the tinyxp disk. I burnt it to a dvd....does that matter.

Anyone figure this problem out???

Any clues? Thanks.

walldawg84

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
xp format issue

I posted this on another thread, but when i was using an xp pro installation disc (legit), it wouldn't give me the option to format the drive after using boot camp then restarting into the installer

i got around it by copying a lot of files (mainly music 'cos i had a load of it) onto the partition, essentially filling it up. then when the mac restarts and you choose the partition to install to, the installer finds there's not enough space and is forced to format the partition ... after this it worked like a dream for me ... does this help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.