PDA

View Full Version : MacBidouille is no longer going to publish rumors.

MacBytes
Sep 9, 2003, 01:06 PM
Category: Mac Websites
Link: MacBidouille is no longer going to publish rumors. (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-09-09#543)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

noverflow
Sep 9, 2003, 01:16 PM
at least they left right after getting something correct.
ipod imac

Balin64
Sep 9, 2003, 01:18 PM
They note some vary valid points for pulling out of the rumors scene. I read MacRumors every day (although I don't post much) and I think they were mostly accurate in their rumors, I mean, journalism reports.

mangoman
Sep 9, 2003, 01:18 PM
Yayyy. More power to MacRumors!

Ambrose Chapel
Sep 9, 2003, 01:21 PM
ah well, at least they are going out on the G5 high. good to see the site itself isn't folding.

Wonder Boy
Sep 9, 2003, 01:22 PM
Odd. I kinda trusted them if not for solid info, then as a conversation starter.

e-coli
Sep 9, 2003, 01:25 PM
huh?????????

After reading the article, I can understand why, especially if it wasn't the true intent of their site.

But they made for some good rumors, and their exit is very unexpected. :(

arn
Sep 9, 2003, 01:31 PM
Unlike some sites, I'll be sad to see Macbidouille leave the rumor scene.

They did have real sources. But they also posted a lot of uncertain stuff too.

As someone mentioned, it made for a lot f interesting speculation at the least. :)

arn

Mr. Anderson
Sep 9, 2003, 01:44 PM
wow, they were a great site for rumors - when they got it right - it will be sad to see them stop that.

Maybe their resources will filter over to MacRumors now ;)

D

mainstreetmark
Sep 9, 2003, 02:09 PM
Oh well - I could never say their name anyways.

Is there some sort of rating for the various rumor sites? A success-rate kind of thing? MacRumors has rumor rating and hardware buyer guide and all sorts of neat analytical tools. Be nice to see a rumorsite-centric one.

mmmbop
Sep 9, 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
But they made for some good rumors, and their exit is very unexpected. :(

I for one hope they'll be back. They added a valuable global angle to the rumour scene, plus their source/sources really didn't give a damn about NDAs.

Which was nice.

Photorun
Sep 9, 2003, 02:38 PM
Drat.

I always wished I had the time, or someone else the wherewithal, to track all the different Mac rumor sites and find out who has the highest percentage of accuracy. Overall I wonder how MacBidoodie faired in right vs. wrong vs. close.

chazmox
Sep 9, 2003, 02:38 PM
Too bad... they were a good source... while not always accurate... they seemed to be right more than they were wrong.

And they generally contributed new info.

sedarby
Sep 9, 2003, 03:03 PM
It's never good to lose a source for rumors. Hope they do well in their future endeavors. :)

iPC
Sep 9, 2003, 03:04 PM
No more MacB is a sad thing.

ThinkSecret is the only other place I bother to check anymore (aside from here of course).

:(

Best of luck to MacB in their traditional service!

MrMacMan
Sep 9, 2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by arn
Unlike some sites, I'll be sad to see Macbidouille leave the rumor scene.

They did have real sources. But they also posted a lot of uncertain stuff too.

As someone mentioned, it made for a lot f interesting speculation at the least. :)

arn

Yeah, this is unexpected.

Also you should contact them about their informant.

Get in contact with this 'person' and take their info...

I mean if they aren't gonna publish it... who will?

:p

NicoMan
Sep 9, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by e-coli
especially if it wasn't the true intent of their site
Well their speciality is hardware and software hacks for the Mac. They love to go and modify config files to make their hardware (and software) work, and work faster. Overclocking too... They even make scripts to help people make those hacks...

I, for one, find it sad that they leave the rumour scene. I hope that their sources make it to MacRumors (It might be a good idea for you, arn, to stay in touch with them...)

Powerbook G5
Sep 9, 2003, 03:32 PM
They always seemed to add a positive touch to the rumor scene, but as they say, c'est la vie.

bikertwin
Sep 9, 2003, 03:34 PM
They're not the only ones giving up on rumors--so am I.

No site has gotten the PowerBook rumors right at all. This is the only machine I've actually waited for in great anticipation. We've all been thinking "any day now" for weeks, nay, months.

While fun, rumor sites have been a huge sinkhole for my time--and they're not right often enough to help with planning purchases accurately. I guess it would be more fun were I still in college. :p

Jerry Spoon
Sep 9, 2003, 03:46 PM
Looks like I can drop those French classes I just started. :( Actually, I'm sad to see them go. They made for interesting conversation.

fred
Sep 9, 2003, 03:54 PM
Good Riddance , Sayonnara, Hasta la vista, arrivederci, au revoir, RIP ...did I forget any ?

Doraemon
Sep 9, 2003, 03:58 PM
I never liked MB, therefore, I won't be missing them.

Chisholm
Sep 9, 2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah, this is unexpected.

Also you should contact them about their informant.

Get in contact with this 'person' and take their info...

I mean if they aren't gonna publish it... who will?

I kinda' wonder if their source(s) perhaps dried up or was otherwise removed from their position of insight. Maybe Steve is already in France and has personally tracked MacB down and threatened them in person. Or used the Reality Distortion Field on them. What's the range he has with that thing anyway?

cheers!
-john

Peej
Sep 9, 2003, 06:00 PM
I'll especially miss the choppy Frech-English translations that made all the rumors sound as if they had been hastily scribbled out on the back of a massage parlor receipt and dropped in a garbage can for pick-up.

peej

scem0
Sep 9, 2003, 06:12 PM
that's sad. They were one of my fav rumor sites. :(

scem0

MrMacMan
Sep 9, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Chisholm
I kinda' wonder if their source(s) perhaps dried up or was otherwise removed from their position of insight. Maybe Steve is already in France and has personally tracked MacB down and threatened them in person. Or used the Reality Distortion Field on them. What's the range he has with that thing anyway?

cheers!
-john

Dunno, but this *did* just release that iPod info...

Weird.

It was a good site, I will miss it even w/ the weird translations.

ibjoshua
Sep 9, 2003, 09:01 PM
credit to them. their reasons are very sound.

i_b_joshua

cb911
Sep 9, 2003, 09:29 PM
they were an interesting site, especially with their rumors. but i guess they'll still have interesting stuff, minus the rumors.

from what they say it sounds like Apple was really putting the pressure on them, not inviting them to product lauches, Apple employees not wanting to be seen with them...

Phil Of Mac
Sep 9, 2003, 09:36 PM
It's the end of an era.

ThinkSecret takes themselves too seriously and, as a result, makes idiots of themselves ("Hot rumor! iCal's gonna be updated! Big bug fix!"). MacOSRumors' glory days are over, and AppleInsider is not what it once was. But we had MacBidouille's old-school, publish-everything approach to carry us through. No longer.

Farewell, MacBidouille. You were so young...

bwawn
Sep 9, 2003, 11:05 PM
I really have no opinion on this. Just thought I'd note that this isn't too unexpected: MacB announced they were most likely going to leave the rumor scene no matter what shortly before the G5s were announced. I'm too lazy to look it up, but they mentioned right before WWDC that if they got the G5 predictions right or wrong, they'd still be likely to leave the rumor scene.

SeaFox
Sep 9, 2003, 11:12 PM
Does anyone find it odd they post they are leaving the rumor scene as a rumor. Talk about double-talk.

Phil Of Mac
Sep 9, 2003, 11:19 PM
Maybe if they publish more rumors they could say that the rumor that they would stop publishing rumors, was a bad rumor.

rog
Sep 10, 2003, 12:40 AM
Hmmm Did they ever actually get anything 100% right? I mean, who didn't know the G5 was coming? Has anyone done the research to see if those benchmarks from May held up? Specifically the ones using the nonexistant Bryce 6 with DP support. I won't miss them. They were a speculation only site like MacOSrumors. Very little to no credibility whatsoever. At least they didn't claim to have hundreds of emails a day or plead for donations to their paypal account.

arn
Sep 10, 2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by rog
Hmmm Did they ever actually get anything 100% right? I mean, who didn't know the G5 was coming? Has anyone done the research to see if those benchmarks from May held up? .

I don't know if the benchmarks were ever validated.

They did get somethings right. Early on, they posted early photos of the MDD PowerMacs. The rumors surrounding the G5's were not quite accurate... but they did predict that the G5s would be released at WWDC -- which was one of the first sites to do so. (Note, they also said they were already produced and sitting in warehouses back in May.)

arn

Doraemon
Sep 10, 2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
ThinkSecret takes themselves too seriously and, as a result, makes idiots of themselves ("Hot rumor! iCal's gonna be updated! Big bug fix!").

I think ThinkSecret does a great job.
Unlike MacB they don't post a new PowerBook rumor every week.
And the fact that they're trying to be professional is good, IMO. They had a pretty good accuracy lately.

NicoMan
Sep 10, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
Looks like I can drop those French classes I just started. :( Actually, I'm sad to see them go. They made for interesting conversation.
It's always good to learn a new language...

On a side note, you know they have recently opened an english version of their site called www.hardmac.com (http://www.hardmac.com) ?

Kalomir
Sep 10, 2003, 02:57 PM
I'll especially miss the choppy Frech-English translations that made all the rumors sound as if they had been hastily scribbled out on the back of a massage parlor receipt and dropped in a garbage can for pick-up.

Well you're a genius ! How did you know, been reading over my shoulder huuu ?

vulturecentral
Sep 10, 2003, 04:05 PM
Having been on the end of Apple's ire myself, I can understand their decision.

The Register is persona non grata as far as Apple is concerned - so my inside sources tell me - and we don't get invited to gigs either. But, hey, we show up anyway.

It should be enough for a company not to comment on rumours, not to attempt to make life difficult for sites and magazines (even pro-Mac ones) that do.

I cover a wide range of hardware, semiconductor and Wi-Fi companies (others too) and Apple is the *only* one with a 'don't talk to those guys' policy.

It's silly - and short-sighted.

In the meantime, though, MacBidouille sources are welcome to email me (tony.smith@theregister.co.uk) at The Register and, I'm sure, Arn here at MacRumours.

macnews
Sep 15, 2003, 05:32 PM
I think it is sad that basically they are shutting down because they can't get invited to any Apple events. You do have to play the game but why does Apple hate these rumors sites with such a passion?