PDA

View Full Version : NBC's iTunes Alternative Launches Private Beta

MacRumors
Oct 29, 2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

NBC and Universal's joint venture Hulu.com (http://www.hulu.com) has launched (http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/28/hulu-launches-private-beta-first-impressions-very-good/) in private beta. The new video service will feature premium video content delivered over a Flash-based web interface, and is already being syndicated to sites such as video.aol.com (http://video.aol.com/video-category/hulu/110500). First impressions (http://www.ryanblock.com/2007/10/hulu-im-in-and-im-impressed/) have been positive, and Hulu allows you to embed content into other websites. As a private beta, access to the site appears to be limited, but the embeded player allows you to browse other content.

At present it appears the content is ad-supported, with very short ads playing at designated times during playback. Ads are noted on the timeline as small dots.

An entire episode of The Office is embedded below, but the player reportedly does not work outside the U.S:

visit Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/29/nbcs-itunes-alternative-launches-private-beta/) for video content

In August, NBC pulled their television content from the iTunes store due to disagreements in pricing structure.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/29/nbcs-itunes-alternative-launches-private-beta/)

gauchogolfer
Oct 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how acceptance for ad-supported viewing goes. The more models there are out there for consumers to choose amongst, the better.

Martin C
Oct 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
The only thing I appreciate about this is the free Office content.

Lukjohnson21
Does this thing cost money. I f it does, its not as good as iTunes, because it can't be on an iPod!!

arn
the ads are very short and pretty unobstrusive. Obviosuly, the big limitation is you can't watch it on your iPod or whatever.

Does this thing cost money. I f it does, its not as good as iTunes, because it can't be on an iPod!!

It appears to be ad-supported (ie. free)

arn

fraserdrew
Oct 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
I can confirm it doesn't work outside the US, well it doesn't in the UK anyway, screenshot below...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/1800817410_2e45ed9edb_o.png

Eric Lewis
Oct 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
the ads are very short and pretty unobstrusive. Obviosuly, the big limitation is you can't watch it on your iPod or whatever.

arn

doesnt work in Canada at all! stupid iP!

yoman
Oct 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
The player seems to run much better than NBC's own site. My interest has increased to discover more about this.

scottlinux
Oct 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
Ads on nbc.com episode videos are extremely annoying, and the video player takes up a ton of CPU. If this player is not an improvement, most will continue to just pirate higher res, ad-free versions that are freely available.

gauchogolfer
Oct 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
Now all we need is Flash support on the iPhone so we can watch these on the go.

Oh, wait, that'll probably not be high on Apple's to-do list now.

Badandy
Oct 29, 2007, 03:35 PM
I love the Office, and since I haven't been at home for the last 2 episodes, I've been having to watch it on NBC.com, for free. Unfortunately, the whole experience is terrible, and I'd give anything to get episodes back for a mere $2. The whole NBC online interface is clunky, the same ads play constantly, and it's just a worse product. Bring it back to iTunes NBC, I'm no longer going onto your ***tty site.

mirffy
Oct 29, 2007, 03:36 PM
*sigh* yet another service, not available outside of the US - at least with iTunes you could use US vouchers...

longofest
Oct 29, 2007, 03:36 PM
Meh... I have to watch it on my computer. The thing about :apple:TV that I like is that I can watch stuff on my ::gasp:: TV.

I think that's the number one reason why at least I will never get into these studio-run sites. On the other hand, I do hope Apple is working on a studio-acceptable method to keep the video content flowing for iTunes.

arn
Oct 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
I love the Office, and since I haven't been at home for the last 2 episodes, I've been having to watch it on NBC.com, for free. Unfortunately, the whole experience is terrible, and I'd give anything to get episodes back for a mere $2. The whole NBC online interface is clunky, the same ads play constantly, and it's just a worse product. Bring it back to iTunes NBC, I'm no longer going onto your ***tty site.

Did you try the embedded content above?

arn

Thataboy
Oct 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
NBC complained that they only made $15 million from iTunes sales. But sales for permanent ownership and iPod/iPhone transfer are completely different than an online streaming player. Can't they see that?

$15 million may not be a ton, but it is > $0. Hulu would just take away users of NBC.com's own flash player, no? So Hulu and iTunes could coexist and maximize profits for NBC.

I fail to understand the strategy behind this.

aLoC
Oct 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
In the case of music iTunes provides a valuable aggregating service. There are thousands of artists and if they all ran their own websites it would be untenable.

But there are only a few major TV studios, and except for iPod compatibility I don't see why they really need Apple. Maybe in future iTunes could become a home for indie content, but really they have YouTube already.

nigrunze
Oct 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Aah.

"Unfortunately this video is not currently available in your country or region. We apologize for the inconvenience"

I wanted to watch a free episode of The Office.

How does NBC expect people to watch this when they block us from seeing it in the first place?

No love for Canada.:mad:

Peace
Oct 29, 2007, 03:41 PM
NBC complained that they only made $15 million from iTunes sales. But sales for permanent ownership and iPod/iPhone transfer are completely different than an online streaming player. Can't they see that?

$15 million may not be a ton, but it is > $0. Hulu would just take away users of NBC.com's own flash player, no? So Hulu and iTunes could coexist and maximize profits for NBC.

NBC is hoping it will make more money with the ad supported stuff than ad-free iTunes.
This whole debacle is due to advertisers.You can thank good old fashioned greed-based capitalism.

Schnebar
Oct 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
I am fine with office for free with ads.

I never buy movies off iTunes.

I have a DVR so I watch all the office episodes thursday nights and whenever I want. But I would rather save $2 for spending one minute of my time watching a commercial.

Only thing is the iPod thing.

Well competition is only good. Maybe iTunes will offer ad based free shows for download. Or NBC will offer quicktime versions to download with ads.

fregedegpo
Oct 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
ew. advertisements. I disagree that they are inobtrusive. Just because they are short doesn't make them any less annoying. Hideous.
Much better quality than youtube, though. That's a nice thing. :)

Thataboy
Oct 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
NBC is hoping it will make more money with the ad supported stuff than ad-free iTunes.
This whole debacle is due to advertisers.You can thank good old fashioned greed-based capitalism.

Right, but if there were (for illustrative purposes) 10 million users of ad-supported NBC.com and 1 million buyers on iTunes before.... then now wouldn't there be 10 million users of ad-supported Hulu and 0 buyers on iTunes?

NBC seems to think that former iTunes buyers will all move to Hulu, thereby increasing page views for higher ad rates. But those 1 million iTunes buyers already had the option of ad-supported content on NBC.com. Say 500K of those iTunes buyers already used NBC.com in conjunction with iTunes purchases, and the other 500K were not interested in streaming flash ad-supported content. Then there would be a net increase of 0 users of their streaming content. If iTunes users can't find content on iTunes, and they were interested in a streaming alternative, they ALREADY HAD ONE.

Therefore it seems to me that NBC just threw profit away for little to no reason. However, one could counter that the entire point of the removal from iTunes was to create publicity for Hulu. So if their projected net increase due to publicity is > $15 million, then I think we know the REAL reason they pulled out of iTunes (and it has nothing to do with "flexible pricing").

Brianstorm91
Oct 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
.. we aplogize ..

I hope that they spell 'apologise' correctly should it make the leap over here.

American spelling =/= English spelling, therefore it's wrong :)

mrowl
Oct 29, 2007, 04:01 PM

NBC also complained that they didn't get a piece of the Apple hardware sales... give me a break.

Do they get money from every TV manufacturer when a TV is sold?

The NBC president is an idiot. And I doubt they only made $15M.

4ndr3w
Oct 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
If anyone has an invite... I'd love one. PM me.

Also, no full screen view? Are they crazy? Even if it looked horrible in FS, I would still watch it.

brinycbri
Oct 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
I know there are ways to rip content off Youtube into a downloadable video format. Can you do the same to these? Then we can put it on our ipod.

mashinhead
Oct 29, 2007, 04:07 PM

arn

well that's way better than abc media player. which actually wants you to click and close the commercials between chapters of a show. They want you to confirm that you've seen the exact same commercial 6 times. If anyone there is listening here. any product i have to watch and ad of 6 times, forcibly is a product i will go out of my way to not purchase.

jaw04005
Oct 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
NBC also complained that they didn't get a piece of the Apple hardware sales... give me a break.

No, but they get a percentage of sales from every Zune sold. Thanks, Microsoft.

klex
Oct 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Is there a way to watch this in full screen?

magicmoof
Oct 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
Am I missing something? There's no full screen available. What gives? This low quality version is nice to have I guess, but I believe people want to pay for the better quality of DVD box sets and Season Passes from iTunes for their favorite shows commercial free and Full Screen in close to DVD quality. This is good if you want to see a show to get into it a bit. But the really need to add full screen. I'd like to see this model on iTunes that offers this for free with full screen and other Apple touches. They could even put an overlay at the bottom of the commercial, "Buy the complete Season of _____ Commercial for for $26.99"

roland.g
Oct 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
I have a DVR, and I like DVDs of full seasons of my favorite shows, Rescue Me, HBO's Band of Brothers, but for me I have no real reason to buy individual episodes or to subscribe to full season's via iTunes. I like the iTS mostly for music, some music vids and have actually purchased 1 movie. I have an Apple TV and can Handbrake and stream anything out of my DVD library. 1st kid on the way in Dec, so eliminating DVDs to get lost/scratched/trashed and going to a total digital library is ideal for me. But again for my content. No thanks NBC, I didn't need you anyway.

elcid
Oct 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
Aye, can anyone post some info, I'd like to check this out.

ericmooreart
Oct 29, 2007, 04:27 PM
I've watched the Bionic Woman in that format. Its not bad. Full screen quality is good. Ads are are short but annoying. Can't watch it on my ipod touch because of flash (hint hint Apple!:mad:). Scifi.com uses a similar format but quality is very bad

Oct 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
The Office US is great, but NBC sucks. Just another greedy company, no content playable outside the US, and they've just shown that they can't cope with someone else showing them the way.

Apple reinvented the way for them, now they turn their backs...with its much larger financial clout, Apple should just buy that crap and put it on public domain.

Badandy
Oct 29, 2007, 04:36 PM
Did you try the embedded content above?

arn

No, not yet, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. The thing is, it has commercials. The commercials are repetitive and I keep leaving the room and not knowing when to come back, stuff like that. I'd much rather pay 2 dollars to watch some uninterrupted Office.

tk421
Oct 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
I know this has a lot of negatives, but I like it. I'd much rather have free TV shows with ads than pay for TV shows without ads. Movies and music, on the other hand, I prefer ad-free.

At the same time, I don't see why NBC can't simultaneously have this service with ads and iTunes for all those that prefer to pay for ad-free content. Guess folks will just rip their DVDs or pirate it (not that I condone pirating it).

Ads on nbc.com episode videos are extremely annoying, and the video player takes up a ton of CPU. If this player is not an improvement, most will continue to just pirate higher res, ad-free versions that are freely available.

I agree. Fortunately, this player is much better. I wanted to scream trying to watch shows on NBC's site. That was a terrible experience.

Shoesy
Oct 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
Is there a way to watch this in full screen?

Here is a step by step.

1. Turn on zooming by pressing option command 8
2. Zoom in by pressing 'option command ='
3. Get p'd off with your mouse pointer for being in the way / nbc for not knowing how to apologise (apologize) sincerely (country dependent)
4. Zoom out by pressing 'option command -'
5. Swear at monitor for ridiculous lack of content available on mac from BBC.
7. Pay license fee for drm'ed content for windows users
8. Watch regular TV 'til this all sorts itself out

megfilmworks
Oct 29, 2007, 04:42 PM
Good quality, but full screen?

Rocksaurus
Oct 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
I can't believe all the "negatives" on this, lol. Personally I'd rather not pay money for media I don't have control over. Walk out of the room during an ad or two though? That's fine. I didn't realize 9 out of every 10 people (based on the negative votes here) preferred to pay for DRM'd content... If that's really the case, then I'm sure it will make more financial sense for NBC to return to iTunes.

marco114
Oct 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
i love pam.

twoodcc
Oct 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
well there doesn't appear to be much load time, which is good.

spazzcat
Oct 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
Meh... I have to watch it on my computer. The thing about :apple:TV that I like is that I can watch stuff on my ::gasp:: TV.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks/feels this way:)

bpd115
Oct 29, 2007, 04:54 PM
My DVR acted funky last week and some of my series recordings were gone, causing me to miss House and Friday Night Lights.

I went to my Mac and found FNL on NBCs website last night and watched, well my first attempt at 9 PM didn't work. Commercials played with no problem but then the main show wouldn't start.

So I came back at 11 and it finally worked. It sucked.

"Full Screen" just, well, isn't full screen. Then commercials caused the player to minimize again making me 'maximize' the show once it got back under way.

I was never one to buy itunes shows unless I missed an episode, and up until last week, I never did. But I'll tell you this, I would have preferred to pay 1.99 and watch the show on my 61" DLP via Apple TV then to put up with the garbage player and having to watch from my computer.

Jetson
Oct 29, 2007, 05:01 PM
NBC should change its mascot from a peacock to a turkey :D

dogtanian
Oct 29, 2007, 05:02 PM
Here is a step by step.

1. Turn on zooming by pressing option command 8
2. Zoom in by pressing 'option command ='
3. Get p'd off with your mouse pointer for being in the way / nbc for not knowing how to apologise (apologize) sincerely (country dependent)
4. Zoom out by pressing 'option command -'
5. Swear at monitor for ridiculous lack of content available on mac from BBC.
7. Pay license fee for drm'ed content for windows users
8. Watch regular TV 'til this all sorts itself out

Ha! I have to agree. ITV are coming to iTunes it appears though. Wish Channel 4 would drop the whole 4OD service, its cr*p and no-one uses it, just wasting valuable ad time.

Do these companies all actually believe that the consumer is going to go from site to site looking for content direct from the broadcaster? I'm sorry but that is ridiculous and unsustainable. They're getting seriously greedy.

gifford
Oct 29, 2007, 05:08 PM
Apple: please just buy Endemol and the company that makes the simpsons. License the BBC's back catalog. and im happy, I dont really care for anything else.

Stampyhead
Oct 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
NBC seems to think that former iTunes buyers will all move to Hulu, thereby increasing page views for higher ad rates.

That may be the case for some, but not for me. Although I want to download shows on the computer I don't want to watch them on the computer. I had planned on purchasing a season pass this fall for Heros, but since it's not on iTunes anymore I'm not going to Hulu.com. I just won't watch it. This isn't any sort of a protest, but simply a consequence to their content no longer being available in the format I want. If they care, they lost my $29.99 (or however much the season pass would have cost).

jlanuez
Oct 29, 2007, 05:10 PM
So what, I will never sit in front of my computer to watch TV. That's why I have an iPhone & an :apple:TV. I want to watch where (ala iPhone) and when I choose. I won't bother with this just like I do not bother with it on TV.

On iTunes I would have bought them all and watched where & when I wanted - ad free. It's s good sitcom, but only if it fits my schedule & watching needs.

Sell me great content for my :apple:TV!

merman637
Oct 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
No, but they get a percentage of sales from every Zune sold. Thanks, Microsoft.

And I hope they enjoy that $243.67 that they made from Zune sales...
WAY better than $15,000,000.00...

arn
Oct 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
No, not yet, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. The thing is, it has commercials.

The ads that I saw in it lasted 5 seconds.

Supposedly you can do full screen from the actual site.

arn

g-7
Oct 29, 2007, 05:15 PM
Doesn't work in Poland.

Neither does iTunes Store, though.

Darkroom
Oct 29, 2007, 05:16 PM
I can confirm it doesn't work outside the US, well it doesn't in the UK anyway, screenshot below...

same thing from Montreal, Canada

arn
Oct 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
cool. They have Airhawk. (perhaps showing my age)

Other shows if you browse:

Hill Street Blues
Buffy Vampire Slayer
A Team
Bionic Woman (new)
Kojak

arn

Peace
Oct 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
cool. They have Airwolf. (perhaps showing my age)

arn

your age?

hahaha

You're a kid Arnold :D

This whole NBC thing still sucks.Can't save to disk?

karlfranz
Oct 29, 2007, 05:23 PM
"...If we don't take control on the video side, they'll do the same to video."

This from the mouth of Jeff Zucker, NBC Universal CEO. What planet does this imbecile live in? In most people's eyes Apple single-handedly saved the music business.

Link (http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/schatsky/archives/009099.html)

wheezy
Oct 29, 2007, 05:23 PM

arn

HA! I netflixed the first disc of Airhawk, said it had 6 episodes, 3 on each side. Stupid thing is... the front side had the cover on it, so I could never figure out how to watch the other 3. :confused:

The quality on this is much better than the NBC.com joke, which I HATE having to do, but it's still not portable, no streaming to :apple:TV, no iPod watching, and yes there are commercials.

I prefer the $2.

Peace
Oct 29, 2007, 05:25 PM

This from the mouth of Jeff Zucker, NBC Universal CEO. What planet does this imbecile live in? In most people's eyes Apple single-handedly saved the music business.

Link (http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/schatsky/archives/009099.html)

Ya he also said :
"Zucker lamented the lack of flexibility on pricing, and the fact that NBC U wasn't able to get a cut of Apple's hardware sales, saying that "Apple sold millions of dollars worth of hardware off the back of our content." He also dropped the bomb that the iTunes deal netted NBC U "just" $15 million in revenue, despite the fact that NBC's programming accounted for 40% of video sales on iTunes.

Cinch
Oct 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
For every 1 person the wants to buy TV shows, there are 10 people (myself included) that just want to see show (present or past) with or without ads!

Good for NBC and Universal.

bad Apple bad...did you hired the marketing direct from Microsoft?

Bonte
Oct 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
Ya he also said :
"Zucker lamented the lack of flexibility on pricing, and the fact that NBC U wasn't able to get a cut of Apple's hardware sales, saying that "Apple sold millions of dollars worth of hardware off the back of our content." He also dropped the bomb that the iTunes deal netted NBC U "just" $15 million in revenue, despite the fact that NBC's programming accounted for 40% of video sales on iTunes.

Maybe there is something wrong with the pricing. If content providers also get 70% from the profits then they only sold 22 million shows, and iTunes as a whole about 55 million.

Do we have official numbers from Apple?

offwidafairies
Oct 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
i dont understand why it cant work outside the us? :confused:

Spades
Oct 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
The sound quality in the embedded player is terrible. It's too quiet and sounds like it's 96 kbps mp3.

uaaerospace
Oct 29, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ok, am I missing something? I didn't see any ads in the entire episode in the embedded player on the MR homepage. I just passed on by the white dots without anything. :confused:

aranhamo
Oct 29, 2007, 05:47 PM

arn

That's Airwolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf

And I won't be visiting Hulu.com. And I guess I won't be watching Heroes anymore either, except maybe when it comes out on DVD. I can't watch it when it airs, and I don't like trying to watch streaming video, and I want to be able to watch it on my TV, or at the very least full screen on my computer while being able to sit back with my remote. And I really hate watching a show on my computer with ads. I much prefer paying my $2 to get a local, ad-free TV show.

arn
Oct 29, 2007, 05:48 PM
http://gigaom.com/2007/10/29/hulu-hands-on-review/

Now to my first impressions: This is an awesome service, one that worked flawlessly on my Macbook Pro and ThinkPad T61 without a hitch. The quality of the video shows is good enough to enjoy without straining the eyes, and even in the full-screen mode, the Flash video looks pretty amazing.

There is a full screen mode on site itself (still private beta)

arn

darrenemo
Anyone got an invite? Thanks, please PM me. I appreciate it!

Bonte
For every 1 person the wants to buy TV shows, there are 10 people (myself included) that just want to see show (present or past) with or without ads!

Good for NBC and Universal.

bad Apple bad...did you hired the marketing direct from Microsoft?

Apple has podcasts for this, networks can easily provide us with high quality, ad supported shows. They just don't want to do it via iTunes because it helps iTunes an they are afraid of Apple becoming to big. They don't want Apple to become the Microsoft for online content.

karlfranz
Ya he also said :

According to Apple's data here (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/10/17itunes.html) Apple has sold over 100 Million TV Shows. At $1.99US per show, that is a gross profit of $199M. If NBC claims that they were responsible for 40% of all video sales, that would mean 40 Million shows or $79.6M gross. If NBC claims they only made $15M in revenue that would mean that Apple pocketed the remaining $64.6M.

I strongly doubt that NBC would have agreed to a business deal with Apple where they only get approx 19% of the revenue and Apple gets the remaining 81%!

I smell a lie.

arn
Oct 29, 2007, 05:49 PM
That's Airwolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf

er. ya. Stringfellow Hawke, though. :)

anr

koobcamuk
Oct 29, 2007, 05:52 PM

Would a VPN with america IP settings work?

Mr. DG
Oct 29, 2007, 05:58 PM
Re: Karlfranz's comments - i'm not so sure apple have saved the music business, more like the music industry saved apple. The problem now is that the major record labels are beholden to iTunes, and this is something NBC wants to avoid. Imagine a country with only one high street; only one music store and several suppliers. The suppliers have nowhere else to go so the store is able to dictate the terms.

So what do the suppliers do? Set up their own store to compete with the main store. Except really they'd be much smarter persuading that bookstore to sell their music and then play those two off against each other.

This is about leverage. Apple's dominance in digital music means they dictate that market right now, which is a fact that's going to harm their negotiations when it comes to TV content.

donlphi
Oct 29, 2007, 06:01 PM
If this costs a dime to use, it's not worth it.

It would be nice if I could download the content and watch it on a flight or in a place I don't have internet access.

I'm telling you... get slingplayer running on an iPhone and it would put all this garbage to shame. Most of us pay for our content through a dish or comcast. I should be able to watch it no matter where I am.

BTW... maybe I missed part of the post, but I didn't see any adds.

freediverdude
Oct 29, 2007, 06:02 PM
NBC needs to wake up and get a clue. People don't want to sit in their computer chairs and watch their hit tv program on a computer, even for free. It's all about the portability. If they're that dead set against doing business with iTunes, fine, then come out with your own service that works on portable music players and home media centers like xbox360 or something, but don't just sit there and broadcast commercial-interrupted shows over the internet. Good god, we've already got that with an antenna and a DVR.

nigrunze
Oct 29, 2007, 06:05 PM
For the people who asked why there are so many negatives, I can at least explain why I voted negative.

I don't really mind watching a show with ads in it, but they won't even let me watch it in the first place. Therefore, a negative vote from me.

puuukeey
Oct 29, 2007, 06:06 PM
you cant set a velvet rope up on a section of sidewalk and ask people to pay a toll. they'll just walk around.

the internet is as long as a word document.

Whistleway
Oct 29, 2007, 06:06 PM
Good job NBC. All of them are free with little ads. Nice move than $1.99. iTunes video just got the nail on the coffin.

gregdig
Oct 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
NBC needs to wake up and get a clue. People don't want to sit in their computer chairs and watch their hit tv program on a computer, even for free. It's all about the portability.

MacBook Pro + WiFi?

SPUY767
Oct 29, 2007, 06:15 PM
Working without any problems for me. But I'm still hazy, How are they expecting to make any money from this. No company is going to pay the kind of ad dollars for these as they do for broadcast TV, If a million people downloaded an episode of the office, they wouldn't possibly be able to make that in ad revenue??? I just don't get it.

Buschmaster
Oct 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
I got the same error and I'm in the USA...

I have to hand it to them about one thing, though. I was worried it wouldn't work offline. But it appears to work just as well online as it does offline.:rolleyes:

thunderclap
Oct 29, 2007, 06:25 PM
I don't understand all the negativity. If NBC wants to try and provide their content online without the influence of Apple fine. As for me I'd never spend $1.99 per episode to download the video content from Apple. Minimal ads, while annoying, I can live with.

albestar
Oct 29, 2007, 06:34 PM
now this is originality!

Internet blocked by real world borders, lol.
To use familiar words, hello tomorrow! Hope this is not the future.

applejilted
Oct 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
Why is Macrumors giving these maggots (read NBC U) free publicity after the stunt they just pulled asking for a cut of iPod sales? Do they ask Sony or Panasonic etc for a cut of TV sales ... do they ask Dell for a cut of their computer sales due to the fact they're watching their content on Dell Computers? This guy (Zucker) has major cojones!!!!! Please do not give NBC U any more promotional play here or I'll just have to boycott Macrumors as well as all NBC U content !!!!!

jlbrown23
Oct 29, 2007, 06:53 PM
As for me I'd never spend $1.99 per episode to download the video content from Apple. Minimal ads, while annoying, I can live with.

And I can't - if I had a choice between watching TV with ads & never watching TV again I would take the latter. You really have to not watch any TV for a year to realize how awful ads are & what kind of subliminal stress they are creating. Not to mention being tied to an Internet connection, clunky flash player, etc.

I just can't figure out why NBC needs to remove choice from the equation. Offer it for $2 through iTunes AND for free with ad support. If getting it for free with some ads is such a great thing, then why aren't people just watching it on TV in the first place?(or using their VCR/DVR). And wouldn't iTunes sales just dry up and become irrelevant if ad supported flash players were better, making the whole argument moot in the first place? It seems to me the smart thing to do is offer people a choice of how they are going to send their money to you, and let the market decide what method works best. Why limit yourself?

The answer to me is that businesses have an insane drive to maintain a stranglehold on their content. It is the only thing more important to them than money, and they will in fact sacrifice profits to avoid giving up even the slightest amount of control. I haven't quite worked out the motivation for this yet, although I have the suspicion that it might be that deep down they realize they need creative people a lot more than creative people need them, and that if the creative folks ever truly realized this they would insist on actually getting a fair share of the profits. If you lock everyone out of distribution with your economic might, then people don't start to realize that distribution is the EASY part. Look at what is happening to the record companies, and I think music itself is actually seeing a creative resurgence.

Homerun7dh
Oct 29, 2007, 06:54 PM

Hitting "option" and "." hides your mouse :)

deanbo
Oct 29, 2007, 06:59 PM
The days of movie and music companies making fat profits at the consumers expense are fast disappearing. And boy, can you hear the complaints from these companies. No longer will they be able to control their industry and make huge profits for overpriced commodities. What a shame.;)

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 29, 2007, 07:12 PM
er. ya. Stringfellow Hawke, though. :)

anr

Nervous or busy? First Airwolf and then your nick. :)

Hitting "option" and "." hides your mouse :)

OMG!!!11!! :eek: I never knew that. The vanishing is such a revelation. Thank you.

elgruga
Oct 29, 2007, 07:17 PM
Presumably, it will be just as easy to:

(A) switch on tv
(B) set recording device to 'record'. (gasp, faint, put head in ice box, etc)
(C) Watch on 'recording' device through tv screen at later date.
(D) edit out ads if you so choose.

Or if its FREE, then WHY isnt it on iTunes?

Can anyone explain to me why fat old capitalists just CANT let go of their buggy-whip businesses?

I propose a law: When you have $5 million bucks, you MUST quit and go paint watercolours, unless you work for FREE.

We can call it the Greed Modifying Law.

Whats happening is that all the 'stake holders' are threatening each other in a giant and horrible greed-based, media-business cluster-fu*k unimaginable to normal people.....

apple-fun
Oct 29, 2007, 07:24 PM
Apple has that nice little 'hobby' as they call it... the AppleTV, which along with the iPod and Macs and PCs with iTunes are all media display devices. Of course iTunes is the media manager and iTunes is (was) the source for non-NBC (NBC) content.

Now if a particular broadcaster (NBC) doesn't want to support the iTunes model, all that we need from Apple is to connect our Mac or PC to a simple DVR type device that plugs into cable or satellite content sources, a device that is simple and provides seamless content integration like only Apple knows how to do, such that iTunes lets the user record the content DVR-style on their Mac or PC and view it in iTunes, or sync with / view on the user's Apple TV or iPod.

Simple stuff for Apple, or they could easily buy this technology or any of the small companies that have experience.

:)

elgruga
Oct 29, 2007, 07:26 PM
And I can't - if I had a choice between watching TV with ads & never watching TV again I would take the latter. You really have to not watch any TV for a year to realize how awful ads are & what kind of subliminal stress they are creating.

I just can't figure out why NBC needs to remove choice from the equation. Offer it for $2 through iTunes AND for free with ad support. If getting it for free with some ads is such a great thing, then why aren't people just watching it on TV in the first place?(or using their VCR/DVR). And wouldn't iTunes sales just dry up and become irrelevant if ad supported flash players were better, making the whole argument moot in the first place? It seems to me the smart thing to do is offer people a choice of how they are going to send their money to you, and let the market decide what method works best. Why limit yourself?

The answer to me is that businesses have an insane drive to maintain a stranglehold on their content. It is the only thing more important to them than money, and they will in fact sacrifice profits to avoid giving up even the slightest amount of control. I haven't quite worked out the motivation for this yet, although I have the suspicion that it might be that deep down they realize they need creative people a lot more than creative people need them, and that if the creative folks ever truly realized this they would insist on actually getting a fair share of the profits. If you lock everyone out of distribution with your economic might, then people don't start to realize that distribution is the EASY part. Look at what is happening to the record companies, and I think music itself is actually seeing a creative resurgence.

Bloody well said.

ebouwman
Oct 29, 2007, 07:32 PM

arn

I find that the big limitation is that it seems that you have to be in US for this to work.

tyr2
Oct 29, 2007, 07:37 PM
Would a VPN with america IP settings work?

Probably. Can't see why not.

Dimwhit
Oct 29, 2007, 07:53 PM
This is one area where I'm with NBC. Music is one thing...paying for a song is worth it because I'll listen to it over and over. A TV show, however, I'll watch once and delete it. I don't want to pay $2 for that privilege. I watch a lot of shows online, but the quality sucks. Hulu looks pretty good.

And it's not like you get the full 4 minutes of ads every ten minutes. What I've seen so far is only a single ad. I can handle that. Since I'm on my computer anyway, I'll just hit a website during the break. To watch it for free, I can easily put up with that.

Dimwhit
Oct 29, 2007, 07:55 PM
Anyone got an invite? Thanks, please PM me. I appreciate it!

Invites get someone in to Hulu? If so, I'd love one, too, if anyone has an invite to spare.

thecoalition
Oct 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
Not sure if it had already been mentioned, but I feel it's at least pertinent to point out that the partnership is between NBC Universal (One company these days) and News Corporation. If they somehow succesfully tie this into myspace, it has a heck of a lot more staying power than if it's just this random site that offers 7 years-canceled shows like "The Pretender", but man I did love that show.

I for one, want to be able to download it and watch it on my own time. Put ads in it if you want and give it to me free, but I want it so I can watch it wherever. I'm waiting for Google and Apple to just make an ad supported option and have shows all up on You Tube for us to access via Apple TV, iPhones, etc.

gschumsky
Oct 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
The quality isn't any better than on nbc.com, too small to watch, and I can't load it on my iPod (which I can plug into my projector).

I'd rather pay the $1.99 and be able to watch it anytime, whether now or in a year from now (reruns on demand!).

Too bad.

honestimage
Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 PM
i'm super excited to be able to watch my favorite shows again...and for free! who cares if we have to watch an ad here and there-- we do that on regular TV anyway (or at least we fast forward through them on DVR).

with this and amazon's excellent new music store offering, i'm one step closer to doing away with iTunes altogether!! keep the competition coming!

pimentoLoaf
Oct 29, 2007, 08:11 PM
Let's see if I have this correct:

I can flip on my TV and, for the cost of electricity, watch a show.

I can flip on my compute and, for the cost of electricity & DSL, watch a show.

Alternatively, for the latter using a computer, electricity & DSL, plus a small fee, download into a computer player for backup, and a portable player for viewing.

So the first two are variations on each other with no portability, and the latter is the 21st century model of the other two.

Why is NBC living in the past? :D

hugodrax
Oct 29, 2007, 08:20 PM

Actually they do, they get 3 cents per TV sold. All Affiliates get 3 cents on a TV set sales.

Kirkmedia
Oct 29, 2007, 08:26 PM
If hulu will play over wifi on the webrowser on the iphone/ipod touch, that would be very cool. No?

edit: I just realized that hulu is flash based, the iphone doesn't support flash(yet). I think it is in apple's best interest to support flash, so that people who have an iphone can have access to more media, which will sell more iphones.

deannnnn
Oct 29, 2007, 08:44 PM
quality is great..... why cant nbc just freakin put it on itunes?

mac 2005
Oct 29, 2007, 08:44 PM
You can thank good old fashioned greed-based capitalism.

As opposed to altruistically motivated capitalism?

Oct 29, 2007, 08:50 PM
I don't understand all the negativity. If NBC wants to try and provide their content online without the influence of Apple fine. As for me I'd never spend $1.99 per episode to download the video content from Apple. Minimal ads, while annoying, I can live with.

The negativity surrounds the fact that NBC wanted Apple to raise to price per episode from $1.99 to as much as $4.99 AND wanted a cut of iPod and iPhone sales.

princealfie
Oct 29, 2007, 09:22 PM
The negativity surrounds the fact that NBC wanted Apple to raise to price per episode from $1.99 to as much as $4.99 AND wanted a cut of iPod and iPhone sales.

sounds like a zune deal to me... F NBC.

aristotle
Oct 29, 2007, 09:25 PM
I don't get why these sorts of things, even free content is not accessible outside the US? I pay good money for a couple NBC channels in HD as well as several in SD to my cable provider here in Canada so I feel I should be able to access that content online as well.

caj
Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 PM
so how does hulu decide who gets to become a member, I really want to watch arrested development, now that tv-links has closed down

glennyboiwpg
Oct 29, 2007, 09:35 PM
I don't get why these sorts of things, even free content is not accessible outside the US? I pay good money for a couple NBC channels in HD as well as several in SD to my cable provider here in Canada so I feel I should be able to access that content online as well.

americans hate canadains, or at least love witholding things from us.

no itunes tv/movies, no iphone.

UK gets things way before us, and we are their neighbor.

tisk tisk US. Start treating us the same as you treat your other 'allies'

jblakeh1
Oct 29, 2007, 09:41 PM
So... their answer to iTunes is really a YouTube competitor. Brilliant.

YouTube is great for 2-minute shows... forget 30 minutes. No one wants to watch 30 minutes of tv within a browser window. With ads. NBC is approaching the internet with the same lack of creativity that killed the music business - they're approach is simply trying to recreate tv on the internet. And since they lack any software expertise, their delivery mechanism is... Flash video.

The reality is, NBC finally figured out iTunes could very well replace the tv networks. NBC doesn't make the shows, they distribute them, just like iTunes does. Remember that next time Mr. Zucker complains about Apple making money on 'his' content.

macintel4me
Oct 29, 2007, 09:44 PM
NBC, or anyone else, could just make ad-supported podcasts of their episodes. It's free AND it still works on iPods.

pimentoLoaf
Oct 29, 2007, 10:04 PM

Isn't MSNBC Microsoft NBC?

If Bill Gates caved to allowing a cut of Zune profits to the record companies, why can't Steve Jobs see the logic of same with iPod?

Simple: Apple created the iPod in-house. Microsoft glommed on to Zune via Toshiba. MS has no real stake in Zune other than a piece of Apple's action.

Though considering Wikipedia's explanation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune) of Zune's inoperability, why would anyone want one?

X38
Oct 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
Time for Apple to add a DVR to iLife. And give it the ability to edit out commercials.

grandeabc
Oct 29, 2007, 10:29 PM
For me, here in Tokyo-Japan, is not working

Rot'nApple
Oct 29, 2007, 10:51 PM
I hope that they spell 'apologise' correctly should it make the leap over here.

American spelling =/= English spelling, therefore it's wrong :)

Have to love that English off "colour" humor:D

synth3tik
Oct 29, 2007, 11:04 PM
NBC can suck it. Their shows are all crap now anyway seeing as how Scrubs will be no longer.

The Office is NOT funny.
That Chuck show is just the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Maybe NBC needs to work on not sucking so bad before they start whining about Apple.

irahodges
Oct 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
That may be the case for some, but not for me. Although I want to download shows on the computer I don't want to watch them on the computer. I had planned on purchasing a season pass this fall for Heros, but since it's not on iTunes anymore I'm not going to Hulu.com. I just won't watch it. This isn't any sort of a protest, but simply a consequence to their content no longer being available in the format I want. If they care, they lost my $29.99 (or however much the season pass would have cost).

Same here, was planning on purchasing season passes for Heroes, The Office, and Lost. Looks like now I will only be purchasing Lost as long as ABC stays with iTunes *crosses fingers*

Peace
Oct 29, 2007, 11:35 PM
NBC can suck it. Their shows are all crap now anyway seeing as how Scrubs will be no longer.

The Office is NOT funny.
That Chuck show is just the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Maybe NBC needs to work on not sucking so bad before they start whining about Apple.

Funny you should mention that.I just watched "Chuck".And look what I saw on it :
http://homepage.mac.com/cmcdan/.Pictures/newiphoneonchuck2.png

chatin
Oct 29, 2007, 11:51 PM
I've been without any "antique media" feed since the :apple: TV came out. They're not pulling me back so easily... the freedom has been amazing!

irahodges
Oct 29, 2007, 11:52 PM
Time for Apple to add a DVR to iLife. And give it the ability to edit out commercials.

That would be awesome if Apple TV could DVR and then edit through an upgrade to iLife (either through iTunes, iMovie, or possibly even a new Application dedicated to editing/organizing recorded content)! I would buy

Scottgfx
Oct 30, 2007, 12:05 AM
tisk tisk US. Start treating us the same as you treat your other 'allies'

Put a "Tim Horton's" in my backyard and then we'll talk. :)

Fukui
Oct 30, 2007, 12:05 AM
The only thing I appreciate about this is the free Office content.
Glad you liked it, all I got was "This video is not supported in your country"!!
At least with iTunes, if I had an American Credit Card, I could get access. This thing s*cks b*lls.

bretm
Oct 30, 2007, 12:14 AM
No, not yet, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. The thing is, it has commercials. The commercials are repetitive and I keep leaving the room and not knowing when to come back, stuff like that. I'd much rather pay 2 dollars to watch some uninterrupted Office.

Well I can't get any darned commercials to play in the above example. Not on the dots, and I've watched a good bit and still no commercials. Does this one have commercials?

It's by far the most responsive streamed video I've seen in quite some time as well. The quality is great too. Pretty amazing really. Click anywhere on the line and it's instantaneous and sharp as a tack.

Scottgfx
Oct 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
Isn't MSNBC Microsoft NBC?

It started out as a partnership that was going to provide "synergy" between NBC News and the web. The MS of MSNBC was Microsoft, but I believe that they gave or sold that controlling interest back to NBC.

More recently, NBC has moved MSNBC to "30 Rock" from their former studios in New Jersey.

I work in the TV news business. From the people I've talked to, MSNBC was (is?) the "red-headed step child" of NBC News. Apparently, the elite NBC corespondents hate having to *also* do work MSNBC. Perhaps now that they are now in the same building, MSNBC will become less of a drag.

Doesn't change my opinion of their iTunes dealings. Why couldn't they do both iTunes *and* hulu?

gkarris
Oct 30, 2007, 12:16 AM
Funny you should mention that.I just watched "Chuck".And look what I saw on it :
http://homepage.mac.com/cmcdan/.Pictures/newiphoneonchuck2.png

Not to mention "Journeyman" but that's really a Fox show...

bretm
Oct 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
So... their answer to iTunes is really a YouTube competitor. Brilliant.

YouTube is great for 2-minute shows... forget 30 minutes. No one wants to watch 30 minutes of tv within a browser window. With ads. NBC is approaching the internet with the same lack of creativity that killed the music business - they're approach is simply trying to recreate tv on the internet. And since they lack any software expertise, their delivery mechanism is... Flash video.

The reality is, NBC finally figured out iTunes could very well replace the tv networks. NBC doesn't make the shows, they distribute them, just like iTunes does. Remember that next time Mr. Zucker complains about Apple making money on 'his' content.

Well, sorta. In some instances they might commission a type of show and own the whole concept. Other shows are developed by independent companies and shopped to networks. The network then pretty much pays for the production of the show. It's not really like music. If NBC or someone doesn't buy the show nobody is going to actually make them just for posterity.

So when NBC "cancels" a show, they're basically killing it unless the production company can sell it to another network. But it's damaged goods then. And the contract may of course preclude that.

The big difference is that without NBC or ABC or whoever first BUYING the show to be aired and essentially paying for the production of it, then it wouldn't exist for iTunes to distribute. I don't see iTunes/Apple actually paying for the production of a show just so they can distribute it just so they can sell iPods.

bretm
Oct 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
Not to mention "Journeyman" but that's really a Fox show...

AND CSI Miami have switched to the iPhone.

Beanbox
Oct 30, 2007, 12:24 AM
If your waiting for an invite to the site, you can still watch more content through the embedded video in the original post. All you have to do is click menu and more related content is available to watch.

ArmanSLR
Oct 30, 2007, 12:41 AM
wow move tv shows from 1.99 to 4.99 and get % of ipod/iphone sales... who do they think they are...

Scottgfx
Oct 30, 2007, 12:52 AM
NBC is approaching the internet with the same lack of creativity that killed the music business - they're approach is simply trying to recreate tv on the internet. And since they lack any software expertise, their delivery mechanism is... Flash video.

There is one thing to take into account in trying to figure out NBC motives, their affiliates. I used to work for an NBC affiliate at the time MSNBC started up. I remember the kerfuffle when at the end of NBC Nightly News, Tom Brokaw did a pitch for MSNBC. He basically told viewers, if they wanted to see extended coverage of whatever the top story was, to tune into MSNBC. The general managers of the affiliates went nuts! That 7pm to 8pm "early prime" block is a huge part of a station's revenue. How dare the network lead viewers away from it.

As NBC is now in a weaker position, they may be getting pressure from the affiliates to keep shows off of iTunes. The stronger networks are probably feeling less heat. The affiliates expect prime-time programming to lead viewers into their late-night news. You can't do that with iTunes.

I wish NBC had stayed, but I feel it's just a way to keep affiliates happy. Perhaps if there was a way for local affiliates to somehow be included in the intro to a show. It would be targeted introductions for an iTunes program like "The Office" brought to you by NBC and KAPL, where Cupertino's News Comes First".

It's just an educated guess from working in the biz. It could be just greed.

irahodges
Oct 30, 2007, 02:04 AM
with everything revolving around ridiculous lawsuits these days, some over zealous law student should hit the books and start a lawsuit for the people against NBC! :p

aafuss1
Oct 30, 2007, 02:10 AM
Looks the videos aren't available here in Australia or Canada,UK,etc-as other channels have the rights to air NBC content.

pamon
Oct 30, 2007, 04:42 AM
i like hulu. great interface, great shows...

need an invite hulu... please..:)

signed up initially but no info rec'd yet.

princigalli
Oct 30, 2007, 05:11 AM
"You can't vie video from your country/region."

This is quite primitive. Too bad for them, torrent downloads are available in any country in the world.

mcorange
Oct 30, 2007, 05:50 AM
I can verify it doesn't work in Iceland, anyways...

jeremyrader
Oct 30, 2007, 06:04 AM
It's times like this that I really appreciate my Miglia TVMax... If I have to miss a show for whatever reason (or want to keep whole seasons, like Lost), it's right there on my hard drive. I can either fast forward through the commercials (single viewing) or spend a minute or two editing them out (stored shows), then format for the iPod or :apple:TV and send to iTunes.

If iTunes had more of the shows that I watch, I'd probably just cancel my cable service and spend the $2/each for the 20-30 shows the family watches each month (mostly kids stuff, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc.). I don't think there's anything on NBC I would normally watch, so no loss there. Are Food Network and HGTV shows on iTunes yet?...

twoodcc
Oct 30, 2007, 06:09 AM
so can you watch these in full-screen?

dogtanian
Oct 30, 2007, 06:40 AM
Anyone secretly hoping Apple loses more companies from iTunes store so that they'd be forced to start putting DVR's into their products like Microsoft products have had for so long? I certainly am. Plus Apple TV too.

Zucker's comments have been so successful, imagine how many people have gone onto HULA whatever the hell it is dot com since he did the interview. Now thats what I call free advertising.

Uragon
Oct 30, 2007, 07:40 AM

thanks for the link.

At least there's one nice thing about Jeff, his last name is spelled with Z....

Kal-EL
Oct 30, 2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
In August, NBC pulled their television content from the iTunes store due to disagreements in pricing structure.

Uh... Last time I checked it was all still up on iTunes. They haven't pulled it yet. Or were you referring to new seasons and shows?

pkpkast
Oct 30, 2007, 09:01 AM
Everyone needs to hold their horses. This service just came out, and only those with access to the beta have glimpsed it. I have an invite and let me say I was impressed. The interface feels very apple-ish. Let me clear up some of the mis-conceptions:

1. It's not just NBC. Fox has a TON of shows on it, as well as shows from FX, SciFi, Speed, E, etc. off the top of my head.
2. It's not just TV. They've got movies and youtube-ish videos including all the SNL.
3. I've been playing with it for less than 24 hours and I haven't seen a single ad in any of the TV content. The only ad that I did see was before 'The Breakfast Club' movie and it only was 5 seconds.
4. The little dots do NOT represent Ads. They represent where the Ads took place and there are breaks in the show, however I haven't seen an Ad watching ANY shows. This may change later, b/c as of right now, I honestly don't see how they are planning to make any money.

http://web.mac.com/postrs/pb.JPG

http://web.mac.com/postrs/bsg.JPG

This site appears to be better than any other online (in a browser) video repository I've seen. I'm a big apple person, and I don't see hulu directly competiting with apple just yet. If it takes off, who knows. My first impressions are good, and it looks like arn agrees.

It's all cool my babies.

BostonMJH
Oct 30, 2007, 09:19 AM
I like the ability to go and watch a show I missed because something came up and did not have time to set my DVR. But the reason I buy shows off of iTunes is so I can have the content with me and view them when I commute to work.

pkpkast
Oct 30, 2007, 09:31 AM
I like the ability to go and watch a show I missed because something came up and did not have time to set my DVR. But the reason I buy shows off of iTunes is so I can have the content with me and view them when I commute to work.

And hulu won't be able to compete with the portability. I believe the market they are targeting is, say you want to watch it at home b/c you didn't DVR it. Instead of buying the episode for 99cents, you can watch it streaming (immediately). I've done this more times via abc, nbc, or fox.com than I have gone to iTunes. Like you mentioned, I buy from iTunes when I want to watch on the go.

I'd love to see some integration with the iPhone like youtube's app. Heh, bet Apple would never go for it since NBC is a partner...unless, they kiss and make up.

Dimwhit
Oct 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
wow move tv shows from 1.99 to 4.99 and get % of ipod/iphone sales... who do they think they are...

Meh. NBC wanting a cut in iPod sales is not much different that Apple wanting a cut in monthly cell phone rate plans.

happylittlemac
Oct 30, 2007, 10:10 AM
It's very simple reason why NBC is doing all this and many people have missed it. It's all about 'control' NBC wants to keep you right where it wants you. In front of a computer watching embedded adds, in the right countries without choice. It's clear that money is not an object as they are happy to allow you to watch for free if however under their terms.

I really don't like controls like this, it's still got a DRM mentality about it, only the United States just now I doubt that will change anytime soon. The video player market is speeding up with more and more devices every year and just like with music downloads the media industries are dragging their feet screaming and kicking.

For me companies like NBC, Universal and others are like a 12 year old with a crack habit and a rocket launcher.

stompy
Oct 30, 2007, 10:17 AM
Meh. NBC wanting a cut in iPod sales is not much different that Apple wanting a cut in monthly cell phone rate plans.

What % of iPod buyers pay for and watch an NBC show on their iPod? What % of iPhone buyers pay AT&T (even if you count those who are breaking their EULA)?

e-coli
Oct 30, 2007, 10:33 AM
If this is the planned replacement for shows on the iTunes sore, it's a joke. The picture quality is terrible. And I'd LOVE to have to carry my laptop around AND have an internet connection to be able to watch the episodes. Perfect for airplanes too.

Like I said, if this is the planned replacement for content on the iTunes store it shows they couldn't be further from understanding consumers.

leekohler
Oct 30, 2007, 10:46 AM
This blows. I loved to watch Heroes on my way to work sometimes. I don't like trying to catch up on NBCs website either. They should make up with Apple.

Dimwhit
Oct 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
What % of iPod buyers pay for and watch an NBC show on their iPod? What % of iPhone buyers pay AT&T (even if you count those who are breaking their EULA)?

Irrelevant. Both are examples of companies wanting a cut in something they shouldn't get. When NBC is involved in making the iPod, they should get a cut. When Apple is involved in running a cellular network, they should get a cut.

Maybe computer makers should get a cut from high-speed internet providers, since it's their computers being used.

stompy
Oct 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
Irrelevant. Both are examples of companies wanting a cut in something they shouldn't get. When NBC is involved in making the iPod, they should get a cut. When Apple is involved in running a cellular network, they should get a cut.

Maybe computer makers should get a cut from high-speed internet providers, since it's their computers being used.

By anyone's account, the iPhone caused a significant number of customers to switch to AT&T. Has NBC TV content caused a significant number of customers to purchase an iPod?

timothyjay2004
Oct 30, 2007, 12:13 PM
I think the quality of it compared to what iTunes offers sucks. It is somewhat blurry and pixelated at times. I hate it. NBC and the music industry are being very stupid about this. iTunes helped significantly slow the illegal downloading/sharing of songs (I once used limewire, now I only use iTunes-> because of the price) and if they keep raising the prices of songs and shows/videos, they will cause one of two things (or maybe both): 1) People will revert back to the illegal downloading of content (I know I will, I don't care. Only person it hurts is them). OR 2) People will refuse to purchase music, videos, and shows all together over the internet and possibly in stores. 99 cents for a song is great. I usually only buy 1-4 songs per album, the rest are crappy and I don't want them. Why would I pay $15 for CD for 4 songs, when I can get the 4 songs for $4 on iTunes? Same goes for movies and shows. I've personally never purchased/downloaded a movie or show via the web. BUT if I was so rapped up in a show or wanting to badly see a movie, I would at $1.99 and roughly $9.99 respectively. I would not pay a higher price for those, especially if they have ads in them! The damn ads paid for the production and release of the shows, why the hell do I have to watch them if I paid for the episode? It's all about money with these companies anymore. And they will soon find out that we will not tolerate it anymore, but they will realize that after they go under... NBC has been long over due of going under, and hopefully this will push them over the edge.

pkpkast
Oct 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
excuse my ignorance on this issue, but what is wrong with you people.

honestly,
who pays for TV shows that can be seen for free on television?

answer,
people who watch on their iPods or portable media device.

does it suck they took their shows down from iTunes, yes.

does hulu suck b/c they took their shows down from iTunes, yes (albeit transitively).

does hulu as a service suck, no, it's actually pretty decent. it is leaps and bounds better than what is going on at abc, nbc, and fox.com.

perhaps once they get a decent base of people on hulu, they will go back to iTunes. as with any bad marraige, both sides are partially to blame. apple's iTunes model is part of the problem. i think people are forgetting that apple FORCES you to use iTunes and PAY for shows. how is that any different than NBC forcing you to go to their FREE website?

if hulu takes off, I don't see why they wouldn't have downloads in addition to streaming. then you can get your portable media and stop your crying.

pkpkast
Oct 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
I think the quality of it compared to what iTunes offers sucks. It is somewhat blurry and pixelated at times. I hate it.

the quality from what I've seen will look just fine on your iPod/iPhone. on your TV, no. although, i think this is true for content from iTunes.

pkpkast
Oct 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
iTunes helped significantly slow the illegal downloading/sharing of songs (I once used limewire, now I only use iTunes-> because of the price) and if they keep raising the prices of songs and shows/videos, they will cause one of two things (or maybe both): 1) People will revert back to the illegal downloading of content (I know I will, I don't care. Only person it hurts is them)

why would anyone pirate something you can get for free?

itcomesinwaves
Oct 30, 2007, 01:50 PM
I have to say that it's pretty snazzy for a web player. Nice quality, and a widescreen format (no cramming widescreen into a 4:3 box like on youtube). The killer is the lack of a way to watch it on my TV. Web players are great for 5 minutes videos (10 at the most). Full length TV shows are meant to be watched from the couch, especially the recent office episodes that have been an hour or so.

Maybe they'll come up with a system for downloading shows, but that's full of potential hurdles (including ones that Apple is wrestling with right now). Will it have DRM? What players will support it? What's the price? If it's free, how will they enforce ad viewing?

So far it seems like no one has figured out how to make downloadable TV a smooth experience. Apple has made some progress, but even their imperfect system has come under pressure from multiple angles.

VenturaBumm
Oct 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
As someone that travels out of the country regularly i rely on buying shows from iTunes for those that i can get. Its nice to watch the office and others on my mac after a night out and unwinding. There is only so much CNN you can take while in China.

I am upset that NBC has pulled the downloads off of iTunes and have now way to download now without using a special player or online video. Why get rid of choices?

NBC is being greedy but it may be more that its parent Universal is getting greedy and dictating what to do.

TheSpaz
Oct 30, 2007, 02:35 PM
I wanna put The Office on my iPod... that is why I record them with my EyeTV Hybrid but, sometimes I forget to record them so I'm forced to get them some other way because they don't run repeats of The Office very often (unlike MTV where they run the same show for about a week at various times).

Oh yeah... I have a question if anyone can help me out. Say I record The Office with EyeTV. It records at 30fps but, The Office runs at 24.98fps so that means there are extra frames that don't need to be there. Is there any software that can be used to delete the duplicate frames to make a 30fps file run at 24.98fps smoothly?

phelix_da_kat
Oct 30, 2007, 08:02 PM
I cannot seee Hulu from my region, but the idea (i have to admit) is good but limited..
- its basically like a cross between VoD and regular ad laced programming.
At least you have the choice of when to watch it - though not "where" you can watch it.

On the other hand.. (why NBC may not be a great hit)
- many ppl have DVR and VoD is coming in. At least in the UK, some of the channels are now offering us the ability to d/l content up to a week after it has aired and DVR (we have SKY+ etc which is basically a Tivo)
- I dont like ads (US ones are often the tackiest) so I can really feel for you guys when you have to sit through them.

Next.. $1.99 for content on Apple..
- It great you can buy programming BUT... its (often) the same price or cheaper to just by it off Amazon. Better quality and you can just "rip it" (user fair use).
- the same line keeps coming back.. the "utility function" of music is higher, while TV type is not. You constantly listen to music etc, but often the value of the TV decreases quicker once you watch it.
- the plus side is... portability

In the end..
- It's horses for course... some people do not paying $2 for a single episode (for convenience etc).. others are happy to watch ads (though they may get more frequent and longer after time... and hook enough customers.).. and there are people happy to use VoD/TIVO... (note.. have excluded those that use Torrent)
- Still the key is... portability... we want to watch it when and where we want!

jacg
Oct 31, 2007, 11:51 AM
I know there are ways to rip content off Youtube into a downloadable video format. Can you do the same to these? Then we can put it on our ipod.

Sorry if this has already been said but has anyone tried TubeTV. It seems to be able to transcode just about any flash content.

Find it on www.macupdate.com

TheSpaz
Oct 31, 2007, 03:20 PM
Sorry if this has already been said but has anyone tried TubeTV. It seems to be able to transcode just about any flash content.

Find it on www.macupdate.com

I tried TubeTV and the flash content seems to be somehow embedded in the player or something. Cannot save this flash.

sanford
Oct 31, 2007, 04:57 PM
The new video service will feature premium video content delivered over a Flash-based web interface...

Ooh goody, it's Flash. What a step up!

Scottgfx
Nov 1, 2007, 12:03 AM
I get a daily brief of TV news and just saw this:

One size fits all? Not at Hulu
Just-launched online video site Hulu.com is giving advertisers the chance to match the length of their spots to the length of their content. Long-form content, such as a sitcom, has traditional 30-second spots, while shorter clips may get 10- to 15-second clickable video overlays. Advertising Age (10/30)

http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/iRbgephfkIbZzBCibvfHgMpx?format=standard

(AdAge usually requires a subscription, bug-me-not usually has a way in)

napos
Nov 14, 2007, 12:44 AM
What makes people think that Hulu is not going to evolve?

1) It lets you watch the largest collection of professionally made video (not just user content like You Tube)

2) It lets you stream great quality video, watch it full screen.

Now lets think for a moment on how you guys keep comparing Hulu to the iTunes Store. Wrong... the studios will answer downloadable content vs the iTMS separately and very shortly. Watch for that one.

What you should compare Hulu to is You Tube. Now lets think for a moment. What if Apple in their wisdom put a "Hulu" icon on the iPhone or iPod touch. How would that be any different than watching YouTube on your iPhone? Or if it's not Apple.. lets say it's on phones coming next year based on Google's Android platform.... or lots of other "mobile internet enabled platforms". Why not on media players??

Now in terms of the iTMS, there will be a studios answer to that question as well. You will be able to BUY content and keep it. You'll also be able to RENT it. It'll just be interesting how people react when there is choice.

Think about Amazon's MP3 Store... everyone started to find "faults" with DRM-free music they are serving up... people said AAC is better than MP3, no true platform integration, blah blah... guess what? It's a great product that sells DRM-free music to you that you can put on virtually any device. They picked MP3 because it works in MP3 enabled cars, iPods, Zunes, insert_mp3_player_name_here, etc.

The guy running Zulu, was cherry picked from Amazon... they know how to build web businesses. Apple will continue to make great products and offerings... but they too have got a lot of things wrong.. Iphone being locked, AT&T, pricing. .Mac still sucks, etc etc...

I love Apple and Macs and everything in between but people, just be a little more strategic in your thought about this. You say studios are greedy... well guess what? They've made a lot of money because maybe yes, they are greedy but they are also SMART.