Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I'm wondering with the coming of FontBook for Panther (built in from Apple) whether this version of Suitcase will be as well adopted as previous versions.

Kinda one of those "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free" type of things...

Just wondering. The folks at Extensis said they were really suprised by Apple's font app and that it came out of left field. I would think this is their way of trying to seed the playing field before the competition, although there is no specific mention of panther support on the website. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It is nice to see the Quark 6 XT inclusion, tho.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I was surprised to see that they also own Font Reserve. I would expect that professionals will go buy a tool to manage their font files while the majority will be satisfied with Panther's enabling/disabling font file management.

I suppose this does end the debate about Suitcase and Font Reserve though. :D

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Apple unveils Font Book: The free alternative to big corporations' price inflating even-while-upgrading font utility programs.

Coming soon free with an OS near you.

Suitcase X was the last font proggie I'll ever buy. What's with the price increase? I'll be quite happy with Font Book I'm sure.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Call me a sucker...

I pulled the trigger on this update from Extensis. I sent their support gang a few questions and they responded very quickly. As a design pro', I own (yes, own) a boatload of fonts, so I'm sticking with Suitcase. Go ahead, laugh...

:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I get the feeling that as much as Apple is doing, we'll find that a lot of us with hundreds or thousands of font files will find ourselves out of luck. Suitcase may be the only way to go.

I've got to check again, but they had the very useful Font Doctor packaged with SuitCase 10.1--is it still with X1? (X1?!?!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.