PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a good ergonomic keyboard?


ZildjianKX
Sep 10, 2003, 12:22 AM
I was looking at the Apple switch site for compatible ergonomic keyboards (http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peripherals/input.html) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one that they've used. The atadesktech keyboards were looking nice, but I can't find any reviews on them, and I couldn't figure the difference between the USB5000 and the SB5000, since I thought all mac keyboards were USB...

ZildjianKX
Sep 10, 2003, 03:01 PM
bump... no one has one? :confused:

TEG
Sep 10, 2003, 03:32 PM
Check out the website, on the Apple site. I don't see what you're talking about, and most USB KBs will work.
They do have some older KBs that use ADB, don't buy them, get the USB ones.

TEG

Sun Baked
Sep 10, 2003, 03:40 PM
guide.apple.com

like mice, trackballs, and pads -- the keyboards are a personal choice.

What one person likes, you may hate to use.

Kitano
Sep 10, 2003, 04:30 PM
I know it is a faux pas around here, and I would never support one of there products if there was a real alternative, but I would recomend the Microsoft extended natural keyboard. For real ergonomic design (i.e., putting your hands and wrists in the best position) it's the best I've seen. The software also gives you a lot of options to change certain keys (Alt to Cmd).

MattG
Sep 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Kitano
I know it is a faux pas around here, and I would never support one of there products if there was a real alternative, but I would recomend the Microsoft extended natural keyboard. For real ergonomic design (i.e., putting your hands and wrists in the best position) it's the best I've seen. The software also gives you a lot of options to change certain keys (Alt to Cmd). I use a MS Natural Keyboard with my Mac too. It's the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used, and I've found that I can type faster and more accurately on it.

The only real downside to it (compared to the Apple keyboards at least) is that they seem to be quite a bit louder.

joeyjojoe
Sep 10, 2003, 05:40 PM
I agree with the MS keyboard pick. I've been using one for the last 6 years and they are the best out there in terms of ergonomics. They are pricey though.

ZildjianKX
Sep 10, 2003, 07:40 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I really like MS keyboards for PCs too, but the only problem is the only ergonomic keyboard that MS makes that shows mac compatibility is "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro"... which is wireless. Do you know if any wired keyboards that are ergonomical that MS makes that are mac compatible?

MCPeck
Sep 10, 2003, 07:50 PM
Check out the Logitech boards n mice.

Most are Mac compatible, and are pretty swank! :D

http://www.logitech.com

edit: and you can get em cheap on pricewatch.com

crazzyeddie
Sep 10, 2003, 07:56 PM
Almost any USB keyboard is Mac compatible... USB stand for universal serial bus after all.

ZildjianKX
Sep 10, 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by MCPeck
Check out the Logitech boards n mice.

Most are Mac compatible, and are pretty swank! :D

http://www.logitech.com

edit: and you can get em cheap on pricewatch.com

Yeah, I looked at logitech too, but for some reason their only ergo mac keyboard is wireless like MS.

If all USB keyboards work on a mac, would the window's key work as the "Open Apple" key? I was sort of wanting a mac specific keyboard with eject and volume control. Oh well, looks like the first keyboard I posted may be the only one.

ZildjianKX
Sep 14, 2003, 05:43 PM
So, I looked and looked thanks to a lot of your advice, and I guess the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is my best choice... kind of funny since I'm using one right now on my PC.

Anyways... I currently don't have a mac at home (since I use one at work)... with the MS Intellipoint drivers for OS X, will the volume keys actually work properly on the keyboard? Even during a game?

MattG
Sep 14, 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
So, I looked and looked thanks to a lot of your advice, and I guess the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is my best choice... kind of funny since I'm using one right now on my PC.

Anyways... I currently don't have a mac at home (since I use one at work)... with the MS Intellipoint drivers for OS X, will the volume keys actually work properly on the keyboard? Even during a game? Yes, the volume keys do work properly! Also once you install the drivers, the keys that are specific to Windows functions will work with your Mac too. Like the Windows key for example becomes (I believe) the Apple/Option key...whatever it's called. I don't have one in front of me right now :)

colinet
Sep 14, 2003, 06:10 PM
I've got the Microsoft Cordless Professional Keyboard and mouse and they are very nice. The 'professional' version has the keyboard divided down the middle so the two halves face slightly outwards which really makes a big difference with RSI if you type a lot. Also the software runs perfectly in Mac OSX so you can program the extra keys and mouse buttons to do anything you want in any program.

When my G5 arrives my wife will use its keyboard and mouse on her iMac and I'll keep this one.

Sun Baked
Sep 17, 2003, 12:04 AM
Seems Apple has a list of the switchers page...

http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peripherals/input.html