Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I was looking at the Apple switch site for compatible ergonomic keyboards (http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peripherals/input.html) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one that they've used. The atadesktech keyboards were looking nice, but I can't find any reviews on them, and I couldn't figure the difference between the USB5000 and the SB5000, since I thought all mac keyboards were USB...

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Check out the website, on the Apple site. I don't see what you're talking about, and most USB KBs will work.
They do have some older KBs that use ADB, don't buy them, get the USB ones.

TEG

Kitano

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2003
I know it is a faux pas around here, and I would never support one of there products if there was a real alternative, but I would recomend the Microsoft extended natural keyboard. For real ergonomic design (i.e., putting your hands and wrists in the best position) it's the best I've seen. The software also gives you a lot of options to change certain keys (Alt to Cmd).

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by Kitano
I know it is a faux pas around here, and I would never support one of there products if there was a real alternative, but I would recomend the Microsoft extended natural keyboard. For real ergonomic design (i.e., putting your hands and wrists in the best position) it's the best I've seen. The software also gives you a lot of options to change certain keys (Alt to Cmd).
I use a MS Natural Keyboard with my Mac too. It's the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used, and I've found that I can type faster and more accurately on it.

The only real downside to it (compared to the Apple keyboards at least) is that they seem to be quite a bit louder.

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with the MS keyboard pick. I've been using one for the last 6 years and they are the best out there in terms of ergonomics. They are pricey though.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Hi, thanks for the reply. I really like MS keyboards for PCs too, but the only problem is the only ergonomic keyboard that MS makes that shows mac compatibility is "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro"... which is wireless. Do you know if any wired keyboards that are ergonomical that MS makes that are mac compatible?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by MCPeck
Check out the Logitech boards n mice.

Most are Mac compatible, and are pretty swank! :D

http://www.logitech.com

edit: and you can get em cheap on pricewatch.com

Yeah, I looked at logitech too, but for some reason their only ergo mac keyboard is wireless like MS.

If all USB keyboards work on a mac, would the window's key work as the "Open Apple" key? I was sort of wanting a mac specific keyboard with eject and volume control. Oh well, looks like the first keyboard I posted may be the only one.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
So, I looked and looked thanks to a lot of your advice, and I guess the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is my best choice... kind of funny since I'm using one right now on my PC.

Anyways... I currently don't have a mac at home (since I use one at work)... with the MS Intellipoint drivers for OS X, will the volume keys actually work properly on the keyboard? Even during a game?

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
So, I looked and looked thanks to a lot of your advice, and I guess the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is my best choice... kind of funny since I'm using one right now on my PC.

Anyways... I currently don't have a mac at home (since I use one at work)... with the MS Intellipoint drivers for OS X, will the volume keys actually work properly on the keyboard? Even during a game?
Yes, the volume keys do work properly! Also once you install the drivers, the keys that are specific to Windows functions will work with your Mac too. Like the Windows key for example becomes (I believe) the Apple/Option key...whatever it's called. I don't have one in front of me right now :)

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I've got the Microsoft Cordless Professional Keyboard and mouse and they are very nice. The 'professional' version has the keyboard divided down the middle so the two halves face slightly outwards which really makes a big difference with RSI if you type a lot. Also the software runs perfectly in Mac OSX so you can program the extra keys and mouse buttons to do anything you want in any program.

When my G5 arrives my wife will use its keyboard and mouse on her iMac and I'll keep this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.