Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Instead of lugging a 17" MacBook Pro across town when I lecture, it would be great just to be able to pocket an iPod Touch (and leave a cable to hand) and drive a presentation like that.

is that possible??? There doesn't, for example, seem to be a cable sold taking video out from an iPod to a VGA connector that could be linked up to a data projector.

cwolves

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Instead of lugging a 17" MacBook Pro across town when I lecture, it would be great just to be able to pocket an iPod Touch (and leave a cable to hand) and drive a presentation like that.

is that possible??? There doesn't, for example, seem to be a cable sold taking video out from an iPod to a VGA connector that could be linked up to a data projector.

just get a normal TV-out cable for the touch (actually I'm not certain that there are any, but there will be soon if they're not out yet) and hook it up to the projector like that.

As of right now you'd need to convert your presentations to videos and play them, but that'll probably be changed soon with some random 3rd party app.

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
just get a normal TV-out cable for the touch (actually I'm not certain that there are any, but there will be soon if they're not out yet) and hook it up to the projector like that.

Ah ... can't be done unless I dangle off the ceiling at the back of the lecture theatre. :rolleyes: I'm reliant on the connection available on-stage at the front, which is a VGA cable. Fine for plugging in a laptop (as long as you remember your DVI-to-VGA cable); but not, it seems for an iPod???

timclarke07

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
I have not personally tried this solution but it might work.

1) Purchase an Apple iPod Video Cable (Apple Store $19.99)
2) Purchase an Up Converter (AV Toolbox AVT3300) to convert the composite video to VGA (B&H Photo Video $74.95)

This is a low cost solution that may or may not give you the best quality. Call B&H. They have helped me numerous times with other AV/computer issues.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

(800) 606-6969

Good luck!

bolen78

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Use this adapter for ipod to VGA projecotr

hey guys I had the same issue, so I finally found this connector, it allows me to connect the ipod touch with the component output to the VGA projector, it's cheap too, only $15
I searched forever then finally found this. It has female RGB conectors so you can just plug the male end of the RGB cable into the cable.
http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/H79760-InFocus-SP-VESA-ADPT-R.html/froogle/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.