PDA

View Full Version : 26 Station G5 Lab almost Setup - PICS!

adamfilip
Sep 10, 2003, 11:36 AM
Here is a pic of the new g5 lab in my school (sheridan institure in ontario AKA sheridan College) for my New Media Design Course

been waiting a while to get the machines
all 1.6 g5s with 512mb ram

they will be setup tomorrow

http://www.filipowicz.ca/g5lab1.jpg

http://www.filipowicz.ca/g5lab2.jpg

http://www.filipowicz.ca/lcds.jpg

Mr. Anderson
Sep 10, 2003, 11:38 AM
Ha, nice - now if you could just get them all out of the boxes....;)

You doing the set up?

D

adamfilip
Sep 10, 2003, 11:41 AM
i unpacked the LCd's

but tomorrow the class will be unpacking the systems. installing ram and installing the apps.

this is only to get the lab setup faster.. we are already falling behind. since classes started on the 2nd of sep.

been without computers for a while now

Powerbook G5
Sep 10, 2003, 11:49 AM
Can I help? I'd love to unpack and set up one of those beauties :) I hope you wouldn't mind if I were to steal one of those boxes, either!

edesignuk
Sep 10, 2003, 11:59 AM
OMFG the envy!!!!

adamfilip
Sep 10, 2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Can I help? I'd love to unpack and set up one of those beauties :) I hope you wouldn't mind if I were to steal one of those boxes, either!

the thought crossed my mind aswell but i know better (unfortunately) :)

stoid
Sep 10, 2003, 04:44 PM
That's quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I helped to set up a lab of 24 eMacs, and to see them all lined-up was breath-taking.

Go Apple for make products that not only perform well, but also look go too. ;)

MrMacMan
Sep 10, 2003, 05:33 PM
Ahh Too many!

How is your school district so rich?

:(

Vlade
Sep 10, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
OMFG the envy!!!!

Thats what i'm thinking :eek:

Ryan1524
Sep 11, 2003, 12:18 AM
not bad. shame i don't plan to go to media designs. althou it sounds like a cool program. :p

benixau
Sep 11, 2003, 12:49 AM
what course was that - stuff it being interesting - i want to play on some g5s.

man - now i really want one. Just that my DP1G is faster than a 1.6 that I would be able to afford (and that I will never again have a single processor desktop). DARN IT.

adamfilip
Sep 11, 2003, 04:11 PM
K folks here is the lab setup :)

http://www.filipowicz.ca/g5lab3.jpg

http://www.filipowicz.ca/g5lab4.jpg

and its New Media Design at Sheridan College (Sheridan Institute) in Oaville, Ontario, Canada

Macmaniac
Sep 11, 2003, 04:46 PM
AHHHHH I hate you your so lucky!!!!! I wish my school did that for my TV class!:mad: :mad: :mad: Very jelaous

dstorey
Sep 11, 2003, 04:54 PM
the g5's look sweet, but come on...them canadian girls look sweet ;) well from what i can tell from a distance... i met a lot of canadians when i worked in switzerland...boy i love canadians :)

MacsRgr8
Sep 11, 2003, 04:56 PM
O M G !
W O W !

That's one class I would NEVER skip!!!!!!

What beauty..... (also the blonde... :D )

bennetsaysargh
Sep 11, 2003, 05:06 PM
i think that's really cool. how does your school afford it?
and am i the only one who doesnt want a G5?

Phazer80s
Sep 11, 2003, 05:26 PM
Jealous as Hell over here!

I went to George Brown College in Toronto. Not sure if they've updated their labs with anything this year. The last I saw (summer 2002) they were getting 867mHz G4s. Considering they were running OS9, there wasn't much to differentiate them from the other old G4s (some with semi-blurry monitors, puck mice and orig.-iMac-style keyboards.)

A bunch of shiny new G5s with Panther would put the Dells in their St. James campus labs to shame.

Stike
Sep 11, 2003, 05:34 PM
I would really like to know what the noise level is like in that room...?

Ultra-quiet?

ecino1
Sep 11, 2003, 06:06 PM
Hey adamfilip nice lab pics from sheridan. I am actually from Hamilton (Ancaster) and I know a few people attending sheridan for media. I've actually done work with some guys there editing video for weddings. I don't remember names however. All I know is that getting into sheridan college for media is nearly impossible and you need a killer portfolio. Just so others here know, sheridan collage is the place that everyone wants to go for media studies and student pay a good buck to go there, so I am sure they can afford a few G5's.

Rezet
Sep 11, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ecino1
Hey adamfilip nice lab pics from sheridan. I am actually from Hamilton (Ancaster) and I know a few people attending sheridan for media. I've actually done work with some guys there editing video for weddings. I don't remember names however. All I know is that getting into sheridan college for media is nearly impossible and you need a killer portfolio. Just so others here know, sheridan collage is the place that everyone wants to go for media studies and student pay a good buck to go there, so I am sure they can afford a few G5's.

LOL. AHA... And my friend goes to local community college and they just got 3.0Ghz p4s from dell. With 19 or 20" displays.
I can take a pic of their lab lol. I'm pretty sure those dells cost just as much or even more than 1.6 g5's...

And it costs around 1200 bucks for a full time student to get in... So how about them apples?

zer0army
Sep 11, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Phazer80s
Jealous as Hell over here!

I went to George Brown College in Toronto. Not sure if they've updated their labs with anything this year. The last I saw (summer 2002) they were getting 867mHz G4s. Considering they were running OS9, there wasn't much to differentiate them from the other old G4s (some with semi-blurry monitors, puck mice and orig.-iMac-style keyboards.)

A bunch of shiny new G5s with Panther would put the Dells in their St. James campus labs to shame.

Yes George Brown College has updated their computer labs quite a bit this year. New this year is an eMac print lab with about 20 1Ghz eMacs. The real Lab is going to have about 30 G5 Duals with 17'' Apple displays. The lab is ready to go, we are just waiting for the Duals to show up. In addition to that there is still a G4 400 lab on OS X and a G3 350 lab on OS 9.

Phazer80s
Sep 11, 2003, 07:20 PM
zer0army,

thanks for the update. It's nice to see GBC keeping pace with new Mac technologies. I should re-enroll! How are the students taking the adoption to OSX? Any word on how soon they'll install Panther (upon release?)

It must be an adjustment for the techs there and in any academic setting. Good on Sheridan and GBC!

zer0army
Sep 11, 2003, 07:36 PM
Phazer,

All the students seem to really like OS X. Most of the Mac users I know at school are using 10.2 so its nice to be using the same OS everywhere. It's also great for the windows people who seem a lot more impressed with the apple products at school now just by checking out the UI. So much better then a lab full of OS 9 machines.

The techs defiantly prefer OS X over 9, and I know they won't be complaining when all the Dual G5's come in and they get to set up that lab. As for Panther, my best guess would be maybe during the Christmas break but probably next summer. With the addition of the new G5 lab I would say now is a great time to be taking Graphic Design at GBC.

Abstract
Sep 11, 2003, 07:46 PM
I went to McMaster............I used 900MHz Dell computers. :(