PDA

View Full Version : How fast do the G5s boot?

ZildjianKX
Sep 10, 2003, 11:59 AM
I've never heard anyone mention this, so how long does it take you guys to boot your new G5 to the Jaguar desktop?

ZildjianKX
Sep 11, 2003, 01:14 PM
bump... someone has at least turned on a G5 before, right?

fugeelama
Sep 11, 2003, 01:42 PM
i went to my local CompUSA a few days ago and was shocked to see that someone had somehow locked up the G5! i couldn't even bring up the force-quit menu, let alone click on anything, so i pulled the plug (when the salesman wasn't looking) and restarted it. it was fast, but not mindblowingly fast: somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 seconds from power to clickable Finder...

Wes
Sep 11, 2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by fugeelama
i went to my local CompUSA a few days ago and was shocked to see that someone had somehow locked up the G5! i couldn't even bring up the force-quit menu, let alone click on anything, so i pulled the plug (when the salesman wasn't looking) and restarted it. it was fast, but not mindblowingly fast: somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 seconds from power to clickable Finder...

But remember, after a hard restart Mac OS X 10.2 + automatically runs Fsck -y, that more than doubles my restart time on a Dual Ghz MDD.

TEG
Sep 11, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by fugeelama

WHY DID YOU PULL THE PLUG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hold down the power button on the front for 5-10 seconds and it shutsdown. Also, according to Apple's Knowledge Base (I don't remember which article) actually says you can use the Eject key on newer KBs to act as the "old school" power button, including restarting the machine.

Use discression next time Please, you don't want to pay for a dead G5.

TEG

tomf87
Sep 11, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by TEG

Hold down the power button on the front for 5-10 seconds and it shutsdown. Also, according to Apple's Knowledge Base (I don't remember which article) actually says you can use the Eject key on newer KBs to act as the "old school" power button, including restarting the machine.

Use discression next time Please, you don't want to pay for a dead G5.

TEG

It wouldn't be dead, maybe just a corrupt OS. Even still, if you hold down the power button, it just powers off, just like pulling the plug. I've tried the eject button for powering on my iMac 800, and it doesn't work.

Makosuke
Sep 11, 2003, 03:33 PM
So far as I know, the eject button works something like the old keyboard power buttons, but only when the computer is running properly.

For example, if you hit control-eject, it brings up the Restart/Sleep/Cancel/Shut Down menu that hitting the keyboard power button on older keyboards does. Really handy, if you ask me.

Hitting control-command-eject will force an immediate restart, although I believe it's still a soft restart (like selecting "restart" from the Apple menu), not an abrupt kill.

Neither of those will work if the OS is locked, though, since they're just software commands.

adamfilip
Sep 11, 2003, 04:37 PM
it was about 57 seconds on a 1.6 with 256mb ram and nothing else installed.

Bluefusion
Sep 11, 2003, 05:58 PM
Don't even bother using Jaguar as an example. Panther takes half the time on almost everything, and it's got G5 optimization in it. Jaguar boots SLOOOOW on absolutely anything, and most machines don't boot it significantly faster at all.

iJon
Sep 11, 2003, 06:40 PM
i dont think panther has g5 optimization, panther acted like s*** on a g5, half the apps wouldnt open and things just were f'd up. although i could be wrong, it just didnt seem the same as my powermac g4.

iJon

PowerBook User
Sep 11, 2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by TEG
Also, according to Apple's Knowledge Base (I don't remember which article) actually says you can use the Eject key on newer KBs to act as the "old school" power button, including restarting the machine.
TEG
Awesome! I didn't know you could do that. I miss the power key on the keyboards.

Bluefusion
Sep 11, 2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i dont think panther has g5 optimization, panther acted like s*** on a g5, half the apps wouldnt open and things just were f'd up. although i could be wrong, it just didnt seem the same as my powermac g4.

iJon

lol, what beta version were you running? Panther will work FINE on G5s, I'm sure. It's possible that the build you played with wasn't installed correctly or didn't have G5 optimization at all (remember, Apple announced Panther dev prev before G5s were freely available, and there would have been no need to put in G5 optimizations at that time, since no one outside of Apple had one...)

Panther's going to ROCK on the G5... I guarantee that. Apple's not going to let it be at all screwy in any way if they can help it.

iJon
Sep 11, 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Bluefusion
lol, what beta version were you running? Panther will work FINE on G5s, I'm sure. It's possible that the build you played with wasn't installed correctly or didn't have G5 optimization at all (remember, Apple announced Panther dev prev before G5s were freely available, and there would have been no need to put in G5 optimizations at that time, since no one outside of Apple had one...)

Panther's going to ROCK on the G5... I guarantee that. Apple's not going to let it be at all screwy in any way if they can help it.
i was running 53

iJon

Bluefusion
Sep 11, 2003, 07:44 PM
Interesting.. that's quite recent. Hmm.

Well, I still stand by my remarks before. Apple will make sure the G5 runs Panther EXCEEDINGLY well. Maybe that's why it's still in dev (as far as I've heard, it's essentially perfect at the moment on most systems)...

Maybe the G5's just screwed up? :P First-gens always have SOME problems... but that seems unlikely.

Dunno...

iJon
Sep 11, 2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Bluefusion
Interesting.. that's quite recent. Hmm.

Well, I still stand by my remarks before. Apple will make sure the G5 runs Panther EXCEEDINGLY well. Maybe that's why it's still in dev (as far as I've heard, it's essentially perfect at the moment on most systems)...

Maybe the G5's just screwed up? :P First-gens always have SOME problems... but that seems unlikely.

Dunno...
oh i know, i really didnt care. just checking it out. it seemed to work fine. safari would only let me go to about half the pages i chose, xbench wouldnt load and a whole lot more. i also repaired permissions and everything. i have taken it off since then , i just wanted to check it out.

iJon

bousozoku
Sep 11, 2003, 10:45 PM
I was just wondering why it's so important for a fast boot up sequence when you may only do it every 60 days or so.

sparkleytone
Sep 11, 2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I was just wondering why it's so important for a fast boot up sequence when you may only do it every 60 days or so.

exactly. as many may remember im not too keen on using this 'benchmark' with Macs. its *nix. it doesnt boot fast. end of story. in return you hardly ever have to reboot it.

ZildjianKX
Sep 11, 2003, 11:38 PM

I can't afford a big power bill after an expensive mac :)

And besides, critical updates do come out and you have to reboot.

bousozoku
Sep 11, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I can't afford a big power bill after an expensive mac :)

And besides, critical updates do come out and you have to reboot.

It's not that expensive. Besides, you should turn off your tv. If it uses a CRT (or 3 in the case of rear projection), it's using a lot of energy. :D

Powerbook G5
Sep 11, 2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by PowerBook User
Awesome! I didn't know you could do that. I miss the power key on the keyboards.

That's the nice thing about PowerBooks, you have the power button less than an inch from your keyboard. :)

Fukui
Sep 12, 2003, 12:34 AM
So Bill Gates can't make any more jokes about it :D

Powerbook G5
Sep 12, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Fukui
So Bill Gates can't make any more jokes about it :D

Longer boot times...But longer is better. His is too short so he has to compensate for our longer...uh...where was I going with this again? :D

Jerry Spoon
Sep 12, 2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by TEG
Also, according to Apple's Knowledge Base (I don't remember which article) actually says you can use the Eject key on newer KBs to act as the "old school" power button, including restarting the machine.
TEG

Good to know. Still wish they had the power buttons on the keyboards.

EDIT: Oops. Didn't notice someone else was already having fond memories of the power buttons on the old keyboards.