Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fixed up north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
I have a pc external hard drive that I have ripped all of my CDs onto as MP3s for listening purposes. I used to run it through a PC laptop hooked up to my stereo, but because of an apartment shift, I want to run it through a Mac with OS9. Do I have to reformat the drive, or will it read it? I have hooked it up and the Mac appears to not recognize it all. I am brand new to Macs and my roommate is pretty unhelpful, even though it is his machine. Thanks in advance for any help.

I just had another idea, what about hooking the hard drive up to my PC in my bedroom, and sharing the files over the wireless network. I just hooked the wireless up yesterday and I am not very savvy so if this is my best bet, I would love some quick advice. Thanks again.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Sharing across your wireless is about the way to go.

I don't think Mac OS will support mounting a hard drive locally with a non-Apple filesystem on it (i.e. anything other than Mac Extended).

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sharing is one way.

A program called MacDrive (runs on windows) allows a Windows computer to read Mac harddrives (especially usefull for USB or FireWire drives) I believe, though, that the drive is first formatted in Mac FS and then the PC handles it like any other drive. If there was a Mac counterpart, it would solve your problems.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Mac OS 7 could even mount PC-formatted disks... come on guys... Just plug that baby into your Mac. Even if it doesnt work, it cant do any harm.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
Mac OS 7 could even mount PC-formatted disks... come on guys... Just plug that baby into your Mac. Even if it doesnt work, it cant do any harm.

:D :D :D

I bought a 20 dollar CD burner at staples and it worked fine, I love OS X and its compatibility. As for 9, it should still work

fixed up north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
If it matters, the hard drive is formatted NFTS. The Mac might be reading the drive, but there is no icon on the desktop (if that is what it is called on a Mac). Will it automatically show up, like on XP, or do I need to do something? Thanks.

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Oh well I'm fairly certain Macs don't read NTFS natively (not sure because I think they DO read HDFS). If thats the case, I think the only way to get files off it is to share over wireless.

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
OS 9 and OS 10.2 won't recognise an NTFS drive, and Panther reportedly can read NTFS but not write to it. If you really need to physically connect the drive to the Mac you can use PowerQuest Parition Magic 8.0 to convert it to Fat32 which the Mac can recognise (probably what crazzyeddie was referring to), but this can be unreliable and you risk corrupting your files. The wireless option is definitely the way to go.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
call me crazy but all you need to read essentially any PC formatted disk is a little control panel called "PC Exchange" (which is, i believe, installed by default).

right?

i have a USB drive (formatted in Ms-DOS format) that i used in os 9. i thought that was all there is to it

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
It's a bit more complicated than that. There are different PC disk formats, and your drive must be in Fat32 which the Mac can recognise. NTFS incorporates a form of journaling which makes it unreadable by the Mac, but as I said earlier, Panther will be able to see these drives, just not write to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.