Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, was interviewed by LaptopMag.com about various topics surrounding Apple.

Wozniak provides his insight into Leopard, Mac Marketshare, as well as some disappointment at the direction computers have gone:
Early on with the first Apples, we had these dreams that the computer would let you know what you wanted to do. .... The real dreams of how it will work for someone who knows nothing about the computer have been lost and don't get addressed anymore.

Also of interest, Wozniak is specifically asked about what his opinions are on the iPhone. Woz is clear that he feels that the iPhone should be "more like a computer" and Apple should allow anyone to develop applications for it. Regarding jailbreaking the iPhone for 3rd party applications:
[Apple has] a right to lock [the iPhone]. But I am really for the unlockers, the rebels trying to make it free. I'd really like it to be open to new applications. I'd like to install some nice games. Why in the world can I not install a ringtone that I've made? How would that hurt AT&T's network? Here is Steve Jobs sending letters to the record companies saying [they] should provide music that's unprotected, but here he is taking the opposite approach with the iPhone. I don't know to what extent AT&T is involved in the thinking and direction.

While Apple has announced they are working on a Software Development Kit to be released in February 2008, the details of the restrictions have not yet been announced.

Steve Wozniak co-founded Apple in 1976 along with Steve Jobs.

Article Link

exigentsky

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
It's always nice to see a legend like Woz candidly speak about these issues. I mostly agree with him, especially on the iPhone. It's ridiculous that it is so locked down in almost every way. He is spot on that you should be able to install new programs and your own ringtones. It's also disgusting that Apple is charging an extra 99c just for using A SONG YOU ALREADY OWN to make a 30 sec ringtone. It's as if I purchase pepper from the store and I have to buy a separate one for every food. I have to buy one for soup, one for steak, etc. Apple shouldn't be allowed to do this; we shouldn't tolerate it.

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Woz makes valid point. His opinions are often valid, as he has the benefit of being an insider, as well as being removed from the corporate voice of Apple, thus providing wonderful insight into Apple's products and policies.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
It's always nice to see a legend like Woz candidly speak about these issues. I mostly agree with him, especially on the iPhone. It's ridiculous that it is so locked down in almost every way. He is spot on that you should be able to install new programs and your own ringtones. It's also disgusting that Apple is charging an extra 99c just for using A SONG YOU ALREADY OWN to make a 30 sec ringtone. It's as if I purchase pepper from the store and I have to buy a separate one for every food. I have to buy one for soup, one for steak, etc. Apple shouldn't be allowed to do this; we shouldn't tolerate it.

this may have been addressed one time or another but, re: iPhone, apple is partnering with att. don't you think it is att's idea of locking the phone? don't you think it is the riaa's idea of selling the songs again to create ringtones? maybe apple signed an nda to not discuss this. not defending apple, but this is one possibility.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
He seems perhaps more lucid to me in this interview than in some I've read. His point of view is always refreshing, however.

john789

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
awesome

I really think he is a cool guy. I like the way he thinks about computers. MAybe she should take more lead and take Apple a whole new level.....of course i dont think jobs will be too happy about it. :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Oh, if only Woz could replace Mr. Jobs. That would be the day.

yeah I agree. I think it is getting time for Jobs to step down. While Jobs is a good CEO when the company was in trouble right now with the company doing great I think he is a poor CEO and likes to have to much control. I do agree apple is rather very hypercritical in how they act. I can not stand hypocrites and that is what apple has become. Jobs is leading them down that path and it is getting time for him to step down and let some else take control and lead the company. It needs fresh leadership and some one who is less of a control freak. Apple is a huge control freak of a company.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Oh, if only Woz could replace Mr. Jobs. That would be the day.

Woz is a brilliant engineer. He's also quite insightful on many technical issues. But he's not a brilliant businessman. And the CEO of Apple needs to be a brilliant businessman rather than brilliant engineer.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
yeah I agree. I think it is getting time for Jobs to step down. While Jobs is a good CEO when the company was in trouble right now with the company doing great I think he is a poor CEO and likes to have to much control. I do agree apple is rather very hypercritical in how they act. I can not stand hypocrites and that is what apple has become. Jobs is leading them down that path and it is getting time for him to step down and let some else take control and lead the company. It needs fresh leadership and some one who is less of a control freak. Apple is a huge control freak of a company.

I couldn't disagree with you more. While Jobs may be turning into a control freak, I think him stepping down would do much more bad than good.

TheBigMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I remember in the recent Steve Jobs and Bill Gates interview when Jobs was asked about regrets and if he could have done anything different his response was along the lines of " I wish I hadn't been so restrictive with software".

Jobs was also a phone phreaker/hacker back in college. Now like so many successful businessmen, Jobs is more than likely paranoid that all he has built may collapse as he is only to aware of how he started in the first place.

Whilst Apples restrictions may make good short term financial sense, I feel that Steve Wozniak is more accepting that todays hackers and 3rd party developers are tomorrows innovators and need an open platform to experiment with.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i like to think that the steve jobs is actually trying to change the music and cell phone industry, and to do so apple's gotta play the big-business-game full of phony back-pats, cigars and hearty-laughter for a while... woz is a smart man, but he seems a bit... well... naive... :eek:

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
ok ok. Woz............. is in a position............ where he doesn't have to be held accountable for what he says.

He may truly mean what he says but I think it's no coincidence the things he says garners support towards him as a 'leader' of the computer/mac movement ;) . It's pretty apparent he has support from people on the boards at least. Awesome politics; that's all I have to say about his interview(s).

I wonder if Steve J. is banging his forehead on the desk while reading his statements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.