PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my iBook clock.

Eniregnat
Sep 10, 2003, 05:20 PM
My revB tangerinE iBook keeps loosing the date and time information.
Pop up window reads ďÖis set before 1973 use Date and Time to ÖĒ
Shortly after the error window shows it then locks up (seconds later). After 5 hard resets I managed to change the date to 2003, and I though everything was fine, but it keeps loosing the date and time. Oddly, it looks as though the time is about an hour slow with each reboot. The information loss seems to be random. The computer works fine for a while, but on the next start up I often find that the date and time have reset to 1/1/1903 and some time after midnight.

revB tanterinE iBook
OS 9.2 (Reinstalled less than a month ago)
Airport Card
3 Working batteries that hold a charge for 2.5 hours.
1 Working AC adapter

Any thoughts?

joeyjojoe
Sep 10, 2003, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure about this, but I know PCs have batteries that keep the bios clock up even without power, so if the same is true for iBooks, then you battery might be dying/dead. Of course, I've never seen this in a PC, but it probably happens.

crazzyeddie
Sep 10, 2003, 05:47 PM
Its def. the PRAM battery. You can find out what kind battery you need by calling your apple store...

Although, im not 100% sure that laptops would have PRAM batterys... since they have batteries...

Mblazened
Sep 10, 2003, 06:03 PM
they have 2 batteries, obviously the logic board battery is screwing around.

jamall
Sep 11, 2003, 04:01 AM
I know the white iBooks don't have motherboard batteries - you have about 30 seconds to swap out the battery before all PRAM settings are lost, but I'm not certain on the clam shell iBooks. I keep losing the date on my G4 despite having installed a new battery (I still have no idea what is causing it), so it could be something else.

Eniregnat
Sep 11, 2003, 11:21 AM
Thank you. I attempted to thank you last night, but my iBook froze and died while I was at Starbucks. I think that there is something wrong with the motherboard. The airport causes crashes and I can't wake the computer from sleep. I have tried loading all the OS 9.x versions and updates and nothing seems to stop the problem. The extensions don't seem to be a problem either.

Well, a call to apple and hope that my AppleCare is still good.
I really can't believe that my iTang has lasted this long.
It's a good workhorse.

Eniregnat
Sep 15, 2003, 11:04 AM
Despite my assurances that I did a clean install of OS 9.2,
I need to reinstall the OS with the tech.

In addition the clock problem, the computer now locks up and displays a vertical bar across the bottom. I also canít use my USB port, so I canít back up my system to a CDR. Life pretty much sucks today!

Update: We need you to reinstal the software one more time.
Any ideas as to how I can back up my computer with out a working USB or Airport?

TEG
Sep 15, 2003, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you need to reset the PMU. On clam shells it involves shutting down, removing the power cord, removing the battery, and pressing the reset switch located near the fan slits from the top, near the screen on the kb side. Hold it for 5-10 seconds and then put the machine back together and check it out, you will need to set the clock. If that doesn't work, check out Apple Support http://www.apple.com/support/
They should have directions and senarios to try there.

TEG

AngryAngel
Sep 15, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jamall
I know the white iBooks don't have motherboard batteries

I have stripped down my clamshell iBook, and I didn't see a PRAM battery. See: http://phoenix.jr2.ox.ac.uk/angryangel/ibookhd.html for photos.

Eniregnat
Sep 15, 2003, 01:40 PM
TEG I would love to reset the PMU, but my iBook doesnít have any fans. The Tech guy said he thought there was a battery on the early iTang's, but he thought it was a software problem. It still doesnít solve the backup problem, the no-wake from sleep, the random crashes that put black bars along the bottom of the screen. Perhaps I should remove the Hal Theme.

It's not the extensions. I much expect that there is something wrong at the component level. But we will see tomorrow.

AngryAngel
Sep 15, 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
TEG I would love to reset the PMU, but my iBook doesnít have any fans. The Tech guy said he thought there was a battery on the early iTang's, but he thought it was a software problem.

Mine was one of the first iBooks into the UK, I had to wait longer than if I had ordered a blueberry one. Your tech guy is wrong about early ones having PRAM batteries. In fact, the motherboard in the iBooks didn't even change when they added FireWire, because the solder points for the firewire socket are on mine.

All clamshell iBooks have the PMU reset button between the slots in the hinge section (when the book is open), on the right. It doesn't have a fan, but those are the computer's vents.

Anna
Sep 15, 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
the clock problem, the computer now locks up and displays a vertical bar across the bottom. I also canít use my USB port, so I canít back up my system to a CDR.

The first problem you had about the time is a battery issue. The problem above is charachteristic of when you try to install firmware... try the latest firmware update. The USB problem is a powerup issue. Try updating the computers firmware and you should be crusin'

goodluck

Eniregnat
Sep 15, 2003, 05:35 PM
I'll trouble shoot it with the Apple techs. I don't think that the early iBooks had upgradable firmware. I may be wrong, but there is no reset (other than the power switch) and there isn't a way to do a firmware upgrade like the iMacs or G4's that I am aware of.

Anna
Sep 15, 2003, 08:52 PM
Actually, yeh, you are right about the firmware, try ringing up your local applestore people and discuss with them...they may be able to help you out on this one

AngryAngel
Sep 16, 2003, 04:40 AM
No, he is not right about the firmware. I definately have the earliest version of the iBook, and I was forced to do a firmware update when I installed OS X for the first time. I was worried that my RAM would disappear. It is definately able to take a firmware update.

Also, I am sure your iBook will have the reset switch for the PMU. It is a small pin-hole, with a white triangle next to it.

DXtrMStDrD
Sep 16, 2003, 11:27 AM
My clock stops keeping time sporadicaaly while i use my 15" Powerbook 1ghz. my time also skips senocnds when my Ipod is plugged into it. when the time locks the whole menu bar is inoperable and i have to restart to fix, but it keeps happening.

any feedback would b greatly appreciated

Eniregnat
Sep 17, 2003, 12:32 PM
For documentation:

In a pinch, one could use just about any NAS to back up a computer. (Ethically I canít use the machines at work for my own purposes.) So with out a working USB port, no Firewire, and no way to transfer files via an ethernet cable I am left using my Airport.
If you have to back up via the Airport, like I am doing, it takes roughly 30hrs to reliably copy 6gb to an iMac.

I did find the reset button by the hinges. From the pencil led marks I must have used it in the past, but I canít remember when.

Step 2: Nuke the drive and reinstal OS 9.2 for the 4th or 5th time this month. Then back to AppleCare.

Post Script: Thank you for the help!

Eniregnat
Sep 23, 2003, 12:00 AM
removed by a friend