Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i have an ibook and i started folding last spring...i enjoyed folding although i didn't get a whole lot done, i liked being involved though and i think its a great thing to do...however

after i had been folding for some time my computer's battery pretty much died. it would freak out and go to sleep at like 80% then it would say it was at 0% if i tryed to wake it up. i got a new battery under 1 year warranty and now its been working fine. i was curious if it died cause i was folding on it almost constantly. i would usually turn folding off if i unplugged my ibook however there were a few times when folding ran while i was on battery power. anyway when i joined macrumors folding initally we were pumping out a measly 2000 points a week and now its gotten ridiculous. i would like to join back up but i fear my battery will die again and i don't have apple care so it would come out of my pocket to replace....

what do you think?

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
I think you should be fine.

I doubt that the folding killed your battery, it was most likely defective.

I don't fold on my laptop while it is unplugged because otherwise it would run out too soon (but not any faster than if I was running any other apps at 100% cpu usage!).

I suggest using mc68k's scripts to start and stop it when you are switching back and forth.

(note to mc68k: think you could make a version of the script that doesn't have the -advmethods tag? that way the G3's won't get gromacs as often -- I think)

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by bertinman
I think you should be fine.

I doubt that the folding killed your battery, it was most likely defective.

I don't fold on my laptop while it is unplugged because otherwise it would run out too soon (but not any faster than if I was running any other apps at 100% cpu usage!).

I suggest using mc68k's scripts to start and stop it when you are switching back and forth.

(note to mc68k: think you could make a version of the script that doesn't have the -advmethods tag? that way the G3's won't get gromacs as often -- I think)

huh? his script will stop and start it when you switch from battery to power?? sheesh it has come a long way since i last used it if that is the case

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by howard
huh? his script will stop and start it when you switch from battery to power?? sheesh it has come a long way since i last used it if that is the case

No no no.

You can acually type 'stop' and 'start' to do this.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
I'm finally going to swallow my pride and ask:

What is folding?

A thousand pardons begged for my ignorance.

Folding uses your extra CPU cycles to research protein folding. Actually click the Distributed Computing sub-forum and then click the FAQ thread, it will give you a much better idea.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by bertinman
there's a option when u install that asks whether you want to run gromacs.

basically there's a switch statement and an alternate crontab w/o the -advmethods.

as for -advmethods on the fly, that could be done too...but i don't see much need for it.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by mc68k
there's a option when u install that asks whether you want to run gromacs.

basically there's a switch statement and an alternate crontab w/o the -advmethods.

as for -advmethods on the fly, that could be done too...but i don't see much need for it.

doh. (not the first doh of today...)

Your script has been running so nicely on my mac that I forgot all about the install sequence :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.