PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini G4 presumed dead...

bigandy
Oct 31, 2007, 03:13 PM
We've got a G4 mini at work used for some testing stuff.

Last week it just decided not to turn on.

I've zapped PRAM and all that jazz, the only thing left it could be (before the burial) would be to confirm if it's the power brick.

So, is the Intel mini power brick the same? Can I plug one of them in to test it without fear of bringing doom on company equipment?

And on a similar note, where in the heck could we get a replacement for a reasonable cost?

ADent
Oct 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
My C2D mini power supply looks identical, but it rated for more watts than the G4.

Haven't using the C2D power supply on the G4 though.

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 04:15 PM
I had a Core Duo 110w power supply on a G4 for a few weeks before I noticed I was missing one.

I even labeled the damn thing with FOR INTEL ONLY. :rolleyes:

I wasn't the one to install it though.

bigandy
Oct 31, 2007, 04:55 PM
riiiight, so does that mean it works?

:confused:

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 05:31 PM
riiiight, so does that mean it works?

:confused:I never said I had a fried Mac mini G4. :rolleyes:

psonice
Oct 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
I do lots of testing, and you just can't beat vmware. It has a snapshot button.. it's like having a big UNDO button for the whole OS - you install stuff, change your settings, break stuff, hit the revert button and within seconds it's a fresh install ready for more! Plus you can do everything on your own box and not mess around moving to a new one.

The downside? No 'official' support for osx as a virtual machine (i use windows at work). You could of course buy a copy of osx, then use one of the 'osx on pc' type installs from the net.

Lots of catches and inconveniences, but it might still be better than having a dedicated box, monitor etc.

bigandy
Nov 1, 2007, 07:46 AM
I never said I had a fried Mac mini G4. :rolleyes:
i know - i just wanted to confirm, because you could have had a fried G4 :p

I do lots of testing, and you just can't beat vmware. It has a snapshot button.. it's like having a big UNDO button for the whole OS - you install stuff, change your settings, break stuff, hit the revert button and within seconds it's a fresh install ready for more! Plus you can do everything on your own box and not mess around moving to a new one.

The downside? No 'official' support for osx as a virtual machine (i use windows at work). You could of course buy a copy of osx, then use one of the 'osx on pc' type installs from the net.

Lots of catches and inconveniences, but it might still be better than having a dedicated box, monitor etc.
cheers. wrong thread? :p

psonice
Nov 1, 2007, 07:58 AM
cheers. wrong thread? :p

Nope, just suggesting an alternative :D I do lots of testing at work, and after years of having various testing computers vmware is soooo good. Depends on what you're testing though, and of course it's not so easy with osx.