Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
Earlier my palmrest section developed a crack, and the plastic started peeling off. So I panicked, having bought my MacBook a year ago, thinking my warranty must've expired. To my delight I found, as I had ordered on the higher education store, that I had a 3 year limited warranty on parts and labour.
Despite finding this out, I decided to ring up Apple to check I would be able to get it repaired under the warranty. The guy said it'll be fine, and then tried to sell me Applecare, pointing out the advantages. But when I asked him if the only advantages were free telephone support & Apple collecting my computer from me on site, he said yes.

So, my question is, as long as I have no problem going to an Apple store everytime I develop a fault, is there any point in me spending more money on Applecare? :eek:

Cheers in advance!

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I got it when I got my iMac as it was only £50 extra. I thought better safe than sorry. 3 years is a long time after all.

I guess it comes down to what you want. I have no Apple care protection on my Mac Pro for instance as I decided to take the risk and I was not in higher education at the time so had to pay full price (I think Apple care was £250 or something for the Mac Pro).

Retired
May 16, 2006
The documentation is really bad. The £50 seems to be for phone support only, as 3 years is included. Most support people don't know this. In fact, I found out when trying to buy AppleCare after a few months with my Mac, as there was initially a problem :)

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
The documentation is really bad. The £50 seems to be for phone support only, as 3 years is included. Most support people don't know this. In fact, I found out when trying to buy AppleCare after a few months with my Mac, as there was initially a problem :)

Yeah, the guy on the phone had to keep getting me to hold and went to ask his 'team' questions several times.

So you don't think it's worth it? I didn't really think so either. I hadn't really budgeted for that in my student allowance! I think I should be fine with the HE warranty. Cheers!

Retired
May 16, 2006
Yeah, the guy on the phone had to keep getting me to hold and went to ask his 'team' questions several times.

So you don't think it's worth it? I didn't really think so either. I hadn't really budgeted for that in my student allowance! I think I should be fine with the HE warranty. Cheers!

Thats what I did...when my Macbook Core Duo broke down after a year and a half they told me my warranty ran out...I said "I have the education special warranty", and they replaced it with a Core2Duo :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Er there was quite a long thread about this recently.

I THINK that with the HE 3 year warranty, it shows up as only 1 year normal warranty on your personal Apple profile, even tho you do indeed have 3 years, and staff have to look elsewhere to check that.

Some people choose to spend the £50 as then it shows up as 3 years on your profile, and that makes it much easier to resell your computer down the line.

To check your profile, type in your computer's reg number on the apple website.

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
I would agree with you, but I already spent £6 on hold waiting for half an hour to Apple. Luckily the guy rang me back when I ran out of credit!
I only have a mobile phone, as I live at University! Ah well, when I'm older and employed (fingers crossed :p), I'll definitely get Applecare. I won't have the HE Warranty to rely on!

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Er there was quite a long thread about this recently.

I THINK that with the HE 3 year warranty, it shows up as only 1 year normal warranty on your personal Apple profile, even tho you do indeed have 3 years, and staff have to look elsewhere to check that.

Some people choose to spend the £50 as then it shows up as 3 years on your profile, and that makes it much easier to resell your computer down the line. .

This isn't correct. The HE AppleCare does actually show up on apple.com/support. It can take a while though (like months) for Apple UK to update your eligibility :rolleyes: You do also get written confirmation of it too, but again this can take ridiculously long to come through.

We could do with a sticky/guide on the whole Apple UK HE AppleCare subject as there's a lot of misinformation flying around, and Apple themselves don't help as few employees seem to have a clue. OK OK, I should write it :p

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
The Apple profiles report back as saying one year to the support operators.
I had to point out that I had purchased through the Higher Education store, and that the site told me my warranty didn't expire till November 2009.
I can see how a lot of students could end up spending more cash under the false impression of a 1 year warranty.
I'm sure it will filter through in good time and Apple will set it right after a few more people point it out. I've been sent a survey to fill in about my call, so I'll bring it up, so hopefully they'll educate all of the phone support team in the ins and outs of the Higher Education warranty. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.