PDA

View Full Version : Help! iBook HD Dead???

MacBoyX
Sep 10, 2003, 10:48 PM
Hey All,

HELP! I woke my iBook 900MHz back up from sleep 2nite and...the HD was clicking and the Finder locked up. Rebooted, and now i get the folder with the alternating question mark and finder Icon.

I booted off of my Hardware Test CD and it says NO MASS STORAGE DEVICE FOUND!

HELP? HOW HOSED AM I?

Arghhhhh!

MacBoyX

jamall
Sep 10, 2003, 11:55 PM
It sounds like your HD has died (that clicking noise is never good), and you'll have to take your ibook to a tech to be fixed. If it's still under warranty and the disk is dead then Apple will pay for your data to be recovered from the HD platters and you've got nothing to worry about (except maybe lost time).

rainman::|:|
Sep 11, 2003, 12:12 AM
it's possible that certain blocks of the HD went corrupt, you might invest in disk warrior or something, boot from that CD and see if you can repair the disk... otherwise it might let you reformat... if the clicking you heard was a rythmic, non-activity related pattern, it could be a dead disk.

pnw

MacBoyX
Sep 11, 2003, 06:29 AM
I am pretty sure the disk is dead since it just sounds like it's trying to spin up but doesn't..kinda of a Whirr...click whirr...click over and over again argh!

I am sure it's dead. I have to take it to the Apple store.

The sad part is I always back my drive up to my portable FW HD but helping a friend (i think i already said this...) I formatted my FW HD to copy his system over to it...

I am most upset my iPhoto library is gone.

Oh well..

thanks for replying...i'm off to the Apple store.

MacBoyX

saint
Sep 11, 2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by jamall
It sounds like your HD has died (that clicking noise is never good), and you'll have to take your ibook to a tech to be fixed. If it's still under warranty and the disk is dead then Apple will pay for your data to be recovered from the HD platters and you've got nothing to worry about (except maybe lost time).

I don't think this is correct. AppleCare only covers hardware, so data loss is your own problem, not theirs (even if the data was lost as a result of hardware failure).

There is a chance your data may be recoverable, but only if you are willing to fork out some $$$.

MacBoyX
Sep 11, 2003, 09:28 AM
Yah....

I am not expecting my data to come back. I am chalking it up to OH WELL...

I'll beg the boyfriend for his files (he jut told me has alot of images I lost) and what I can't find there will just be kissed up to the Hardware Gods as a sacrifice!

Thanks!

MacBoyX