PDA

View Full Version : "Over-ramming" an ibook

sstoy
Oct 31, 2007, 08:25 PM
Hello I own a "late 2005" ibook G4 1.33mHz and I saw a previous post explaining to someone about how OS X LOVES ram and that unlike windows machines you can't hurt them by putting a bunch of ram in them. so this post got me thinking:

Is the stated upper limit to the ibook's stated max ram allowance of 1.5 gb set in stone, or would it be possible for me to insert a 2 gb chip and get a further performance boost over the 1.5 gb i have in it right now?

I tried to find something about this in other posts but couldn't, so forgive me if i missed an earlier post about this.

Thank you much

Sean "trying to get the most out of his leopard" S.

ab2650
Nov 1, 2007, 02:24 AM
Hello I own a "late 2005" ibook G4 1.33mHz and I saw a previous post explaining to someone about how OS X LOVES ram and that unlike windows machines you can't hurt them by putting a bunch of ram in them. so this post got me thinking:

Is the stated upper limit to the ibook's stated max ram allowance of 1.5 gb set in stone, or would it be possible for me to insert a 2 gb chip and get a further performance boost over the 1.5 gb i have in it right now?

I tried to find something about this in other posts but couldn't, so forgive me if i missed an earlier post about this.

Thank you much

Sean "trying to get the most out of his leopard" S.

IDK specifically about the ibook's true limit, but I would guess it is what apple claims it is - Unless you google up people putting 2gb in an ibook and it working, I wouldn't even consider breaking the stated limit.

Plus, what real performance are you going to see going from 1.5 to 2gb of memory? Not to sound callous, but at some point your system just won't be able to run the newest and greatest at all.

disconap
Nov 1, 2007, 02:25 AM
Never stick your !*@# in an ibook.

ab2650
Nov 1, 2007, 02:46 AM
Never stick your !*@# in an ibook.

Tempting, but sound advice for sure. I hope you're not speaking from experience? :p

disconap
Nov 1, 2007, 03:31 AM
Let's just say that software ain't that soft.

SmurfBoxMasta
Nov 1, 2007, 04:51 AM
Well AFAIK, if you put more ram in the machine than it is designed to handle, it just won't recognize the excess amount....

However, in some cases like the older ibooks, the max ram limit was posted by apple based mainly on the size of chips that were available at the time the machine was being introduced into the market......... which of course has increased considerably over the past few years.....and have been discovered to support more ram than was originally spec's by apple..........

BUT, if the memory controller on the mobo can only handle 2x 512mb chips max per slot, and you stick 2x 1GB sticks in there, the machine may not even boot.......

HTH :p

CanadaRAM
Nov 1, 2007, 05:09 AM
Asked and answered as recently as 4 days ago. You need to work on your Searching powers, Luke.

The answer again is NO. A suitable 2 Gb chip does not exist. And if it did, the memory controller of the iBook could not read the density of the chip.

THe iBook has some RAM soldered on (128 - 512 depending on the model of iBook) and a single SODIMM socket with a maximum capacity of 1 Gb.