Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Well we should have guessed, but if you are building a USB patchstick it seems you can't use Leopard.

The patchstick pulls files from the Mac OS on an intel mac to install in the AppleTV kernel.
The Leopard Kernel is 10.5, the ATV Kernel is 10.4.X.
Accordingly, it just doesn't work!

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Well we should have guessed, but if you are building a USB patchstick it seems you can't use Leopard.

The patchstick pulls files from the Mac OS on an intel mac to install in the AppleTV kernel.
The Leopard Kernel is 10.5, the ATV Kernel is 10.4.X.
Accordingly, it just doesn't work!

I ran into this problem over the weekend (silly me ran out and bought Leopard before installing Patchstick) - any ideas how to work around this??

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Is that an offer? (said Billy-no-Mac-friends)<wry grin>

I don't have an apple tv, but I can maybe make a patchstick tonight and image it if you want. PM me your email address and a link to how to make it. I'll see what I can accomplish before I load Leopard. I'll do my best to email you back an image.. though I've never done any of this before.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Ok, I had a bit of a time getting the patchstick to work. It kept writing to /Volumes/Patchstick-root, which was nothing more than a directory the installer kept writing.

I had to rename my thumbdrive to Patchstick-root to get the installer to create the image on the thumb drive.

Then I just took the files off and put them into a DMG. It's a 100 meg image though,and I'm not sure how it'll work being pushed back to a thumb drive as far as bootability?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Were you able to create a working patchstick?

I have no idea if it works. I don't have an appletv to test it.

As I said above I had to rename my thumbdrive to Patchstick-root, so the ./createPatchstick script would copy files and the boot.efi to /Volumes/Patchstick-root (thumbdrive), which it would not do until I renamed it.

I then made an 100MB dmg and moved everything from the thumb drive to the dmg. So whether or not you can move it back to an empty thumb drive and boot off it I have no idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.