Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Ok here goes. I use bittorrent frequently. When I set up a static IP Adium lags and won't connect with Google talk OR MSN. What gives? Internet is also very sluggish.

Letting the router take charge and going the route of DHCP and what not Adium is fine, everything is ok. I often have to click a page multiple times (over wireless) for it to actually load. When it does load it's lightning fast though.

I'm on leopard and a brand new 2.4 MBP.

Thanks.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Ok here goes. I use bittorrent frequently. When I set up a static IP Adium lags and won't connect with Google talk OR MSN. What gives? Internet is also very sluggish.

Letting the router take charge and going the route of DHCP and what not Adium is fine, everything is ok. I often have to click a page multiple times (over wireless) for it to actually load. When it does load it's lightning fast though.

I'm on leopard and a brand new 2.4 MBP.

Thanks.

Three possibilities:
1) You're saturating your connecting with BT, and it's probably the amount of upload traffic. If you're on cable you'll see a HUGE drop in network performance when your upload becomes saturated.

2) Your ISP is doing something funny to you, and judging by Comcast's recent press about what they're doing to BT traffic, It wouldn't shock me.

3) You may be running something like peer guardian, which would interfere with traffic (but usually blocks, not slows it down).

I can say with about 95% certainty that "Static vs. DHCP" is not the issue. I'd look really closely at your upload volume and how saturated it may be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.