Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Hi Folks

I made a .DMG file on a PPC G4 Mac-mini & G4 Imac with both tiger & panther installed on it.

The DMG was created through the following command

sudo hdiutil create -size 201m -fs HFS+ -volname "Dummy" /Volumes/Boot/Dummy.dmg

Then i attached a shadow file to the dmg through following command

sudo hdid /Volumes/Boot/Dummy.dmg -shadow /Volumes/Boot/Shadowtrial1

Now the problem starts

The moment i attached the shadow file to the DMG the available space of the drive that was mounted by DMG through the above command was 0kb

But if I double clicked the DMG then the drive that was mounted was showing 197.8MB as available space

This was the case with PPC

But I tried the same steps on a intelmac there the mounted drive was showing 197.8MB even if I mount the drive through the above command

Also on PPC machine if I create Files or Folders on the drive which was attached a shadow & rebooted the machine & after reboot i tried to again attach the same shadow to the drive thropugh the following commad

sudo hdid /Volumes/Boot/Dummy.dmg -shadow /Volumes/Boot/Shadowtrial1

Then I m was able to see the file or folders which I created before reboot i.e the changes are getting lost even if i am retainig the same shadow file .

But i tried same thing on an intelmac & I was able to see the files or folders even after reboot .

So why there is such a great difference batween Intelmac & PPC for a command which is provided by mac.

If any one has any suggestions or any clues then please help me.

Thanks in advance
Sunil Prajapati

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.