PDA

View Full Version : New Santa Rosa MacBooks in Apple Stores?

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2007, 03:34 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In an unusual move, Apple has quietly shipped boxes of new MacBooks to their retail stores this week, many of which arrived today. Special instructions (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/boxes-of-macbooks-arrive-at-apple-stores/) on these boxes indicated that they were not to be opened at this time. But according to reports, the boxes do contain updated Santa Rosa MacBooks. We've even heard claims that some have already been inadvertantly sold to unsuspecting customers. A blurry spy photo is offered as "proof":

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/11/01/mb_300.png

13.3/2.2/2X512/120/SD - DL White

The specs are said to be as follows:

White 13.3"
2.0GHz/2x512MB/80GB/Combo
2.2GHz/2x512MB/120GB/SD-DL
2.2GHz/2x1GB/160GB/SD-DL

Black 13.3"
2.2GHz/2x512MB/120GB/SD-DL
2.2GHz/2x1GB/160GB/SD-DL

The 2.0/2.2GHz speeds do suggest that these MacBooks are based on the Santa Rosa chipset, and they reportedly do include the X3100 integrated graphics chip that had been spotted (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/28/new-apple-macbook-on-tuesday-gma-x3100/) amongst Leopard's drivers. Note that Apple often sells slightly upgraded models in their retail stores so the 160GB models may be retail configurations.

We can only assume they will be officially announced next Tuesday.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/new-santa-rosa-macbooks-in-apple-stores/)

LondonMacs
Nov 1, 2007, 03:39 AM
Always happens with apple, something new always around the corner!:confused:

jockmock
Nov 1, 2007, 03:42 AM
Hallelujah!

john789
Nov 1, 2007, 03:43 AM
Omg!!! FINALLY SOMETHING RELATING TO THE MACBOOK!!! But by the looks of the news....it doesnt seem as though the macbook is getting a whole new look if some where sold to "unexpected customers". What should i do? Buy a macbook after next tuesday....or wait until next year for the macworld conference and hope they do make a Big upgrade then?

GoD at this rate ill never have a Mac computer!!!!

hsadear
thats hardly proof.

those letters and numbers are the visual form of inaudible (invisual?)

Vidd
I'm glad I opted for the iMac, then. :)
Looking forward to see how these turn out, though.

kresh
Nov 1, 2007, 03:44 AM
Wahoo! The US Apple store is back up! :eek:

naraic
Nov 1, 2007, 03:44 AM
Slightly disappointed that this isn't the aluminum MacBook we've been hearing about, but i've been waiting long enough a this stage... Bring on SR MB!! :D

athanacius
Nov 1, 2007, 03:46 AM
HAIL MACRUMORS!!!

Awesome!!

NicP
Nov 1, 2007, 03:48 AM
thats hardly proof.

illegible

seanneko
Nov 1, 2007, 03:48 AM
Slightly disappointed that this isn't the aluminum MacBook we've been hearing about

I'm glad that it isn't. This means that mine is only very slightly outdated now :p

tr0n86
Nov 1, 2007, 03:51 AM
They"re Up!!!

I'm off by 21 mins. for my countdown.

Analog Kid
Nov 1, 2007, 03:52 AM
So much for my hope that the Mini would be updated at the same time...
(and my prediction they'd wait 3 weeks after Leopard)

stephenli
i'd better cancel my order which havent ship yet....

JSpence
Combo Drive? lol omg Apple, seriously?

iTrin
i can't wait so long till tuesday...

rrijkers
Nov 1, 2007, 03:53 AM
Omg, i can confirm, i was just on the applesote us and the 2.16ghz was changed into 2,2 Ghz (WHY DIDNT I MAKE A SCREENSHOT) When i went to buy it was still 2.16, i went back on the page and the items there were also 2,16...

So yes, it is true! :D

Absolutist
Nov 1, 2007, 03:54 AM
US Store is down:eek:.

tr0n86
Nov 1, 2007, 03:54 AM
It's weird....

They were up.
Now it says "opps"
I'll screen cap before next time...

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 03:55 AM
was the store down?

rrijkers
Nov 1, 2007, 03:55 AM
It's weird....

They were up.
Now it says "opps"
I'll screen cap before next time...

same here, why didnt i screenshot :(

tr0n86
Nov 1, 2007, 03:56 AM
was the store down?

now it is.

MacSA
Nov 1, 2007, 03:57 AM
OMFG at the ComboDrive :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thasan
Nov 1, 2007, 03:58 AM
im disappointed...but atleast, its better than no upgrade :p:p

athanacius
Nov 1, 2007, 03:59 AM
Here is Proof.

It's Official!! Just took this shot.

kresh
Nov 1, 2007, 03:59 AM
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4387/picture1db5.th.png (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1db5.png)

It's back up anyway, but I wonder why they changed the oops screen?

tr0n86
Nov 1, 2007, 04:00 AM
Prices stayed the same.

deadkenny
Nov 1, 2007, 04:00 AM
Why would they downgrade the black one? The 2.16GHz black ones all have a 160GB HD.

tcoleman
Nov 1, 2007, 04:01 AM
Omg!!! FINALLY SOMETHING RELATING TO THE MACBOOK!!! But by the looks of the news....it doesnt seem as though the macbook is getting a whole new look if some where sold to "unexpected customers". What should i do? Buy a macbook after next tuesday....or wait until next year for the macworld conference and hope they do make a Big upgrade then?

GoD at this rate ill never have a Mac computer!!!!

There's always another update around the corner. If you keep waiting for it, you'll never buy one. It's not likely that an updated MacBook would appear at MWSF if it comes out now. Doubly so if MBPs are going to be updated then.

Just go ahead and buy it next week! :)

Piarco
Nov 1, 2007, 04:02 AM
harumpf. I was so hoping for aluminium MacBooks. I'll wait to see what's released on Jan 15th then - and going by 9to5Mac and Thinksecret reports on the thin aluminium laptop, combined with this release, it looks like it'll be a UP MBP...

tr0n86
Nov 1, 2007, 04:02 AM
Why would they downgrade the black one? The 2.16GHz black ones all have a 160GB HD.How are they downgrading them?

john789
Nov 1, 2007, 04:05 AM
Yeah im dissapointed as well.....i guess ill just wait until next year...:(

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 04:06 AM
its something new? i can't see a new mb...

ck2
Nov 1, 2007, 04:07 AM
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Whats new about it?

JSpence
In case anyone was wondering, caught a screencap on edu pricing. They had the speeds at 2.2 when I just checked. I'd post it but it's too large

kresh
Click on thumbnail:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4792/picture2hl7.th.png (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2hl7.png)

Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

hsadear
woo hoo i can still get the black one.

crjeong
Combo Drive? lol omg Apple, seriously?

I know....What the hell?

MacSA
Nov 1, 2007, 04:08 AM
Sigh, 700 for a laptop that still can't burn a DVD. I think i'm just going to get a Windows laptop.

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 04:10 AM
Were the HD's always available up to 250 Gigs?

Detektiv-Pinky
Nov 1, 2007, 04:10 AM
I would not call this an update.

No wonder they do it so silently - this is nothing... :(

^squirrel^
Nov 1, 2007, 04:11 AM
Hang on a sec..... how do we know it's not the new case design?????? All we know is the hardware spec.

EDIT - sorry i hit refresh and about 20 other posts happened after mine....... Forget what i said.

lofight
Nov 1, 2007, 04:13 AM
all nice and well, but no superdrive on the first model??? wt* even from 600 you can get a windows laptop with dvd burner, maybe for even less.

junkmail02999
Nov 1, 2007, 04:17 AM
let the world know!

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_OFFICIAL_updates_Macbook

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 04:18 AM
its nothing new... we must wait till tuesday

ibinco
Nov 1, 2007, 04:18 AM
What i find most interesting on that Screenie is the fact that u can supposedly upgrade a Macbook pro to a 2,6ghz CPU :eek:? Does this mean new speed bumps for MBP are on their way?

Furthermore, i think its most likely, i mean the 2.2ghz 120GB SR Macbook has the same chipset just a different GFX and LCD. Does this account for the $ 700
difference?

Matteh117
Nov 1, 2007, 04:20 AM
Think it's a wise move having a lower spec black, but I also think they look crp.

Wonder if the pricing will remain the same/drop. If that's the case then I guess I'll be visiting a certain place next week. ;)

iGuess
Nov 1, 2007, 04:21 AM
Just checked the apple store and it didn't show the new specs at all. Strange so many others saw it. Even cleared my cache and tried it again...nothing.

I'm a little disappointed we aren't seeing an aluminum MacBook but oh well I like the old (current) design just the same.

ck2
Nov 1, 2007, 04:23 AM
The new specs only appear when you compare specs of all the mac/macbook

ziggyonice
Nov 1, 2007, 04:23 AM
A blurry spy photo is offered as "proof"

return of the spy shots! now where's the elevator pic?

huy
Nov 1, 2007, 04:24 AM
The front page article is incorrect. The black model does not have 2GB of RAM.

ck2
Nov 1, 2007, 04:26 AM
Is it just me or the specs have changed to the old one again?

Quiara
Nov 1, 2007, 04:26 AM
Eh. I bought mine about a month and a half ago. Looking at the update, I'm not disappointed. Quite honestly, the difference between my MacBook running @ 2.16GHz w/3GB RAM is going to be only negligibly different from a MacBook @ 2.2GHz w/4GB RAM.

I honestly didn't expect a huge update - also, I really couldn't wait an extra 6 weeks for a new laptop. ^_^ I have no regrets for buying when I did. Basically, the best idea is to buy one when you need one. If you always wait for the update ... you'll always be waiting for an update. ^_^

ETA: The education store still has the new specs.

Matteh117
Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 AM
Weird... apple US shows the new specs, but apple UK doesn't..

Macmanus
Nov 1, 2007, 04:29 AM
I'm joining this community waiting for the Holy Grail.

I'm telling you this from a reliable source who prefers to remain anonymous : the new Macbook and Macbook Pro will be announced January the 14th, 2008.

The same goes for Office 2008 for Mac, a huge upgrade.

So you've got to be patient. 2 1/2 months to go. Save your money !

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 04:30 AM
that was the update? only the hardware? i will a new design!
i can't understand apple^^
its the final version of the update or comes tuesday a new design perhaps?

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 04:33 AM
The MacBook's website has been updated:

http://apple.com/macbook/macbook.html (Or is that just a new page because of Leopard? I don't know how long it has been there.)

German stores don't show new MacBooks. American Tech Specs outside the store don't show an update either.

Quiara
Nov 1, 2007, 04:38 AM
that was the update? only the hardware? i will a new design!
i can't understand apple^^
its the final version of the update or comes tuesday a new design perhaps?

Now what kind of sense would that make? Release an upgrade to the market and then hand out a redesign less than a week later? This IS the update.

iGuess
Nov 1, 2007, 04:40 AM
The MacBook's website has been updated:

http://apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

German stores don't show new MacBooks. American Tech Specs outside the store don't show an update either.

How was the MacBook page updated? I checked and didn't see anything but the old specs and info. I also used a proxy server just to make sure my ISP isn't caching pages and still nada.

Please be more descriptive.

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 04:41 AM
Now what kind of sense would that make? Release an upgrade to the market and then hand out a redesign less than a week later? This IS the update.

yeah, you are right. it was only a dream, because of a new alu mb.
the mbp is for me to much :(

Quiara
Nov 1, 2007, 04:41 AM
How was the MacBook page updated? I checked and didn't see anything but the old specs and info. I also used a proxy server just to make sure my ISP isn't caching pages and still nada.

Did you read the first post? Or any of the thread? There are screen shots and descriptions all over the place.

Santa Rosa @ 2.0 & 2.2 GHz with x3100 integrated graphics.

iGuess
Nov 1, 2007, 04:45 AM
Did you read the first post? Or any of the thread? There are screen shots and descriptions all over the place.

Santa Rosa @ 2.0 & 2.2 GHz with x3100 integrated graphics.

The first post is in regards to spec updates and the Apple STORE page not the macbook page yout were referencing at www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html and therefore my post and question was valid.

Just because the page is new to you doesn't mean it changed...which it hasn't as of this post. The macbook page was updated last Friday when leopard was released. This tread is about the updated specs...get your facts straight.

Quiara
Nov 1, 2007, 04:47 AM
There are screen shots of the updated MacBook pages and the specs pages.

The first post is in regards to spec updates and the Apple STORE page not the macbook page the poster was referencing at www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html (http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html) and therefore my post and question was valid.

Just because the page is new to you doesn't mean it changed...which it hasn't as of this post. The macbook page was updated last Friday when leopard was released. This tread is about the updated specs...get your facts straight.

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 04:48 AM

Ok, it was just the "new Leopard" MacBook page. As I said, the new specs don't appear there. Compared to the German page, there's a difference:

http://apple.com/macbook/macbook.html (English)
http://apple.com/de/macbook/macbook.html (German)

See the difference? Anyway, just a Leopard-updated page (The screens of the device buttons also show the old Tiger background) :rolleyes:

SORRY!!! I didn't want to confuse anyone! Please forgive me :( :apple:

iGuess
Nov 1, 2007, 04:54 AM
There are screen shots of the updated MacBook pages and the specs pages.

Really? Where are the screenshots of the updated MacBook pages (product description)? The only screenshots posted are of the Apple Store reflecting the new specs on the product selection screen and on the compare page.

The page linked to wasn't changed and neither were the "tech spec" section of the product pages. I wonder if there's more to this update than what has surfaced so far.

Namek: I do see the difference and understand the mix up.

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 05:08 AM
MacBook page updated (really, theres a 2.2 Ghz processor!)

www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

iGuess
Nov 1, 2007, 05:11 AM
MacBook page updated (really, theres a 2.2 Ghz processor!)

www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

Sure enough...there it is. Looks broken as of right now. I'm guessing no other surprises then. Oh well, still a decent upgrade.

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 05:12 AM
Hope there will be a bigger update on the next MacBook Pro :o

Steve Works
Nov 1, 2007, 05:13 AM
thats hardly proof.

loooooooool :D

finally the new macbook...i've been waiting for a year...(1st for leopard, then for the new macbook). If they postponed it to december or january i would have to buy a new vista laptop... at least vista will be around for a decade lool :P

Sun Baked
Nov 1, 2007, 05:16 AM
Hope there will be a bigger update on the next MacBook Pro :o

You didn't consider today's bump to a 2.6GHz MBP option and a bump from 4200rpms to 5400rpms on the 250GB drive huge. :p

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 05:20 AM
You didn't consider today's bump to a 2.6GHz MBP option and a bump from 4200rpms to 5400rpms on the 250GB drive huge. :p

But it's just an option... :)

kresh
Nov 1, 2007, 05:22 AM
I guess the Mini is really dead.

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 05:22 AM
i think, in a few hours, the store goes down. when it comess back, its oficial.

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 05:24 AM
i think, in a few hours, the store goes down. when it comess back, its oficial.

:D What are they going to change then? Ok maybe there's really a new design?

Wait... was that really an update from 2.0 Ghz to 2.0 Ghz and from 2.16 Ghz to 2.2 Ghz? That's not much.

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 05:27 AM

this is my hope :)

Namek Kural
Nov 1, 2007, 05:34 AM
The MacBook Website is still broken. All they changed there is the text. Waiting for the new images... :D:apple:

diamond.g
Nov 1, 2007, 05:36 AM
So, how long till we get benchies? I am curious to see if the x3100 is a great improvement. Also was wanting to know why we all insist on calling the new MacBook Santa Rosa when it isnt. Unless apple has been using Intels wireless chipset as well and hasn't been telling anyone.

Jdot
Nov 1, 2007, 06:10 AM
thats hardly proof.

Hey it's no ones fault that you busted your eyesight in a male orgy.Anyways if you can't make out the 13.3/2.2/ then you need to stop using a 800x600 display or i dunno just stop using computers.

ck2
Nov 1, 2007, 06:27 AM
Hmm...Apple Store UK still displaying the old specs...:(

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 06:38 AM
well those are indeed the new specs. too bad they didn't get rid of the combo drive

Zadillo
Nov 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
So, how long till we get benchies? I am curious to see if the x3100 is a great improvement. Also was wanting to know why we all insist on calling the new MacBook Santa Rosa when it isnt. Unless apple has been using Intels wireless chipset as well and hasn't been telling anyone.

Because everyone knows what people are talking about when they refer to a Santa Rosa laptop, regardless of whether its officially a Centrino laptop or not.

In this case, Santa Rosa is a shorthand for the fact that it uses the newer Intel chipset and the GMAX3100 and CPU's associated with Santa Rosa laptops.

You'll see this all the time with PC laptops, regardless of whether they are fully "Santa Rosa" or not.

Zadillo
Nov 1, 2007, 07:24 AM

Wait... was that really an update from 2.0 Ghz to 2.0 Ghz and from 2.16 Ghz to 2.2 Ghz? That's not much.

No, but it didn't need much of an improvement in CPU speed either, since Apple was already using good C2D chips (compared to some PC laptops where they cram the lowest end 1.5GHz C2D CPU's in there).

aswitcher
Nov 1, 2007, 07:33 AM
Aus still has old specs and no new pricing ;(

diamond.g
Nov 1, 2007, 07:44 AM
Because everyone knows what people are talking about when they refer to a Santa Rosa laptop, regardless of whether its officially a Centrino laptop or not.

In this case, Santa Rosa is a shorthand for the fact that it uses the newer Intel chipset and the GMAX3100 and CPU's associated with Santa Rosa laptops.

You'll see this all the time with PC laptops, regardless of whether they are fully "Santa Rosa" or not.

Well that does make sense.

Anorion
Nov 1, 2007, 08:11 AM
order now? (y/n)

iTrin
Nov 1, 2007, 08:36 AM
order now? (y/n)

sure, why not?

j-a-x
Nov 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
Are there any advantages to Santa Rosa besides a slightly better graphics card?

Does it use less power? Longer battery life?

konquererkarlos
Nov 1, 2007, 09:24 AM
I don't know if this is just a lack for update, but in looking around in the tech specs, they show the 800mhz front bus speed, but still show the memory speed at being 667mhz. Does anyone know if faster memory will work without overheating? (it's probably too soon to tell)

Zadillo
Nov 1, 2007, 09:30 AM
I don't know if this is just a lack for update, but in looking around in the tech specs, they show the 800mhz front bus speed, but still show the memory speed at being 667mhz. Does anyone know if faster memory will work without overheating? (it's probably too soon to tell)

Most all laptops are still shipping with 667MHz RAM. I don't think the faster RAM is even common yet.

diamond.g
Nov 1, 2007, 09:33 AM

Faster memory will work. But it will only be seen at the 667mhz speed.

konquererkarlos
Nov 1, 2007, 09:35 AM
Most all laptops are still shipping with 667MHz RAM. I don't think the faster RAM is even common yet.

DDR2 800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010260381+1309221140&name=DDR2+800+(PC2+6400))
They've got it on newegg :apple:

Zadillo
Nov 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
DDR2 800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010260381+1309221140&name=DDR2+800+(PC2+6400))
They've got it on newegg :apple:

Ahh, interesting.

Those prices aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

I wonder why more laptop manufacturers aren't starting to include it yet then.

Zadillo
Nov 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
Faster memory will work. But it will only be seen at the 667mhz speed.

Why wouldn't they be seen at 800MHz? What's the benefit of the faster FSB then?

mcai3db3
Nov 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
Ahh, interesting.

Those prices aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

I wonder why more laptop manufacturers aren't starting to include it yet then.

i know Bus speed-wise, this new MB should be able to do 800mhz ram... But Motherboard/BIOS-wise, whats the likelyhood of Apple allowing you to do this?

Need someone else to test it.

kristiano
Nov 1, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think I'll wait 2 and a half months.

I was really looking forward to a new MacBook but this smells like 2005 when they upgraded the iMac G5 in late October and released the Intel iMac in Jan.

diamond.g
Nov 1, 2007, 10:06 AM
i know Bus speed-wise, this new MB should be able to do 800mhz ram... But Motherboard/BIOS-wise, whats the likelyhood of Apple allowing you to do this?

Need someone else to test it.

I don't think the latest mobile chipset from Intel supports faster memory.

@Zadillo
The processors connection with the northbridge is 800mhz. The northbridge connection to memory is only 667mhz. It used to be the same but large L3 cache makes it not as needed.

jicon
Nov 1, 2007, 10:21 AM
$1449 CDN for the 2.2Ghz White model... vs $1249 US.

$1449 * the current exchange of $1.06US/CDN = $1536 US

$1536 * tax rates in Canada around 13% = $1736 US

Next time I'm in Seattle, I'll do some shopping. Disappointed that Apple didn't at least match the price point, even with an ever growing 6% difference in currency.

agentkow
Nov 1, 2007, 11:59 AM
$1449 CDN for the 2.2Ghz White model... vs $1249 US.

$1449 * the current exchange of $1.06US/CDN = $1536 US

$1536 * tax rates in Canada around 13% = $1736 US

Next time I'm in Seattle, I'll do some shopping. Disappointed that Apple didn't at least match the price point, even with an ever growing 6% difference in currency.

My first reaction too, especially with a new product. I can understand not lowering the prices of already released products, especially for Apple, but this really sucks.

duke49er
Nov 1, 2007, 01:33 PM
That photo was obviously taken with an iPhone. It's so *****ty.

duke49er
Nov 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
thats hardly proof.

Illegible, is the word you're looking for

mrxyz2006
Nov 1, 2007, 05:25 PM
I am a mac newbie, and just switched over from the dark side today! Indeed, the new upgraded macs with the X3100 card and the 800 FSB are at the apple stores. I purchased mine from the Lenox mall store in Atlanta this afternoon, and they were more than happy to give me the new one....

I have been following this forum for a while, and seriously, some of the opinions were vital in convincing me about the shift - thanks all of ya!

iGuess
Nov 2, 2007, 03:30 AM
If this is the rumored update why wasn't there a press release for it. During the last update and even the Mini's speed bump we at least had little "faster speed" icons on the Apple Store. The MacBook product page doesn't make a single mention of how it's "now" faster. How come there isn't a single mention of the speed bump at all? What I mean is why isn't Apple obviously pointing it out?

It might not be a significant update which is why there wasn't a press event but to not even mention it at all just seems so un-Apple like. At the end of the day Apple is the kind of company that loves to brag (even if just a little) about everything it does. Just seems strange with all the rumors of an update (including so called analyst predictions) that there'd be no mention of it at all. Just a quiet change on the website with nothing to point it out.

Why wouldn't Apple jump at the opportunity for free advertising of the MacBoook? It couldn't possibly hurt sales could it? Actually wouldn't it encourage sales from the "waiting for the next update" crowd?

Am I alone on this one? Is there something more? Is it possible Apple has something up it's sleeve? Would they bring out a new model so quickly after an update, even a silent one actually especially after a silent one? Could that be why they're being quiet about it?

How hard would it have been for apple to update the chipset? Does it require reworking the motherboard? I don't see how it would. In other words is there any investment required of Apple (R&D, engineering, capital, production equipment, etc.) other than to simply use the new chipset (and maybe test it for stability)?

With the increase in MacBook shipments over the last quarter and the expected growth during the holiday season do you suppose Apple had to update the chipset so they'd have enough chips to keep up with demand while still supplying the Mac Mini? Could Intel have forced the update by giving Apple better pricing on the new chips thereby increasing Apple's profit margin slightly and putting more focus on Intel's current technology? Could Apple just have bought a huge quantity of the new chips to be used in the next revision of the MacBook, guaranteeing better pricing, increasing current margins and building up inventory for the MacBook that hasn't surfaced yet? What if there really is a new case design, but the motherboard, production equipment and testing isn't complete...could that be why this "silent" update happened?

I know, I've asked a lot of questions. Hopefully I got a few brain cells working on this forum. It'd be interesting to discuss it further.

aprilfools
Nov 2, 2007, 05:19 AM
I bought the new macbook today from the Pasadena, CA Apple Store. I got the low end model. I did get a great deal as far as I am concerned.

$1000 - Macbook
$69 - .Mac
$189 - Applecare for Macbook

1258 + CA Sales Tax

Not a bad deal. Not sure why they gave me such a good deal but the sales guy really pushed Applecare, so he disounted the macbook from $1099 to $1000 and than dropped the price of Applecare too!

Matteh117
Nov 2, 2007, 05:32 AM
I bought the new macbook today from the Pasadena, CA Apple Store. I got the low end model. I did get a great deal as far as I am concerned.

$1000 - Macbook
$69 - .Mac
$189 - Applecare for Macbook

1258 + CA Sales Tax

Not a bad deal. Not sure why they gave me such a good deal but the sales guy really pushed Applecare, so he disounted the macbook from $1099 to $1000 and than dropped the price of Applecare too!

Probably because AppleCare isn't an item so doesn't really cost them much at all - big margin and big commission.

Selenolycus
Nov 2, 2007, 08:06 AM
I wish my MacBook C2D 2.0ghz were upgradeable to 4gb RAM. :(

Aside to that - shame one Apple for maintaining a combo drive in the lower-end MacBook. I can't imagine the cost-to-Apple on a superdrive is anymore than $40.

The BlackBook has the exact same configuration as the 2.2ghz white MacBook, except a larger HDD - a 40GB difference that Apple would charge someone $75 to upgrade their white MacBook to. They essentially charge customers $125 to paint their MacBook black. Imagine if iPods were priced by their colors.

Lastly, their RAM prices are exorbitant. For 2x1GB RAM, Crucial charges $60, Apple charges $150. For 2x2GB modules, Crucial charges $200 - Apple charges $850. Not to mention, there are 320gb HDDs on the market for $200 as we speak, but Apple charges $300 for a 250GB model.

Now, I can understand a 10-20% premium as being reasonable, but realistically, parts bought from a computer manufacturer should be discounted as the computer dealers buy in bulk and get pricers on hardware than what a consumer can typically get. I'm not even going to mention the Canadian price discrepancies, though, to be fair, I don't know if cost of business is higher there than in the US.

I like Apple's products, but the cost of their upgrades are far too high. It just rips-off consumers inexperienced enough to upgrade their hardware themselves, and gives those of us capable of upgrading our components just another chore added to our lists.

slackpacker
Nov 3, 2007, 05:23 AM
Just make a Mid Tower Quad Core with expandable Graphics already!!!!:D