Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
I am working on a layout for a book type document. I have the pages setup side by side facing each other is a spread type layout in InDesign.

They are separate pages, but when I export to pdf they either join together as one large sheet if I select spread or just vertical individual pages if I export as usual. I want to have the pdf set like the InDesign doc but with a space between the pages so you can see that they are separate pages (hope this makes sense).

so basically you would end up with with a pdf layed out in the following manner: ( | = space between pages)

8.5x11 (page1) | 8.5x11 (page2)

8.5x11 (page3) | 8.5x11 (page4)

8.5x11 (page5) | 8.5x11 (page6)

...and so on. I hope someone gets the idea of what I am trying to explain. If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
I just don't think that's possible. If it is, it would be some function of Acrobat (of which I'm not aware), and not InDesign. Plus you'd have to require everyone who views the PDF to adjust their settings. Check Acrobat help, but I'm not seeing anything with regard to viewing 2-page spreads as you describe.

Sorry.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I don't think it is possible either. I am not sure how your design is, but you can try playing around with a "faux" space. Try and make your document 11x17 plus a 1" or so gap in the middle, so your page will be 11x18. Then when u export it as a spread it should "look" like there is a space. I hope this makes sense, I haven't actually tried it myself.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
well in acrobat 3d (on windows) you can set the view to 2 page viewing, however I don't know of any way to default to it.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
You can export single pages as pdf, then open the pdfs in Photoshop (rasterizing all the vectors) and then manipulate them that way and save as pdfs and join them into one doc in acrobat pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.