PDA

View Full Version : Apple Updates MacBooks to Santa Rosa, GMA X3100

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2007, 04:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As rumored, Apple has quietly updated the MacBook tonight to the Santa Rosa architecture with mild speed bumps and the new GMA X3100 integrated video.

White 13.3"
$1099.00 2.0GHz/2x512MB/80GB/Combo/GMA X3100
$1299.00 2.2GHz/2x512MB/120GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Black 13.3"
$1499.00 2.2GHz/2x512MB/160GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

The new MacBooks use the Santa Rosa chipset which boasts a faster 800MHz front side bus over the previous MacBook models. The new specs can be seen at the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/apple-updates-macbooks-to-santa-rosa-gma-x3100/)

taliz
Nov 1, 2007, 04:12 AM
Hrmf.. No LED backlight? :(

DaveTheGrey
Nov 1, 2007, 04:12 AM
sooner than I thought :D

isoMorpheus
Nov 1, 2007, 04:13 AM
I am sorry, but I don't see any change at all from the page, what was changed?

Can somebody give me a before and after comparison here?

Thanks

CmdrLaForge
Not a really spectacular update but a nice speedbump. Not aluminum ? Maybe the next revision.

What is strange - if I go into the store right now - the old Macbooks show.

queshy
yawn...I guess we kinda saw it coming though.

LMAO at combo drive still being there...how pathetic. Why would they do that? Go into any big box store and you'd be hard pressed to find a single laptop with no DVD burner - it's become so mainstream now that it's really weird Apple still hasn't fully adopted it across the line.

JSpence
No LED, but now upgradable HD is maxed at 250gb. small speed bump, up to 4 gig RAM now though.

I'm content. Combo Drive is still around, wtf.:mad::mad:

lyzrd
Nov 1, 2007, 04:14 AM
now that's surprising^^. nice surprise though.

Looks like Apple is milking the cow, and we'll see major updates in January.

What do you think

john789
Yeah im soooooooooooooo dissapointed. Whatever happened to the aluminun casing..Grrrrrr:(

Sam0r
Not a really spectacular update but a nice speedbump. Not aluminum ? Maybe the next revision.

What is strange - if I go into the store right now - the old Macbooks show.

Yeah, same for me on the UK store. How much better is the x3100 than GMA950 anyway? I heared there was quite a difference.

zign
Nov 1, 2007, 04:15 AM
Looks like an error, as the macbook description page nor the models on sale have been updated....

lofight
Nov 1, 2007, 04:15 AM
no superdrive on the first , lame.

sp!tf!re
Nov 1, 2007, 04:16 AM
According to the specpage the new models do not sport the new x3100... I hope that's a typo?

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 04:17 AM
Think the new Alum MB that was seen was probably something for MWSF, not a MB but a MBP or the new slim jim MBP. They have also added a few options when purchasing for software like iWork and Final Cut and Logic Express (or I think thats new) and Aperture as well.

arn
Nov 1, 2007, 04:18 AM
According to the specpage the new models do not sport the new x3100... I hope that's a typo?

Apple hasn't updated their product pages yet.

Here's a screenshot from the store

kresh
Nov 1, 2007, 04:18 AM

The "compare specs" page on the store website has been updated, just not the product info pages on apple.com

BornAgainMac
Nov 1, 2007, 04:19 AM
Relax. Apple never has a big update in November. The real update to the Macbooks will happen in the spring next year. They like to put the good stuff out after Christmas so the money keeps rolling in. They are going to have a good December anyways.

[Edit:] Check out the specs. They finally included a real graphics card for the mid and high end Macbook just for you gamers.

phatspider
Nov 1, 2007, 04:20 AM
Odd - it was showing in US store and now its not

Maybe someone dropped a clanger and put the new content live early - and it should have been next tuesday!

thies
Nov 1, 2007, 04:20 AM
Looks like an error, as the macbook description page nor the models on sale have been updated....

don't see it either. still lists the GMA 950 throughout the site.

:confused: :mad:

Edit: I see a 4GB option on the order page though...

taliz
Nov 1, 2007, 04:21 AM
I'm guessing there will be new MBPs in january, but these MBs will remain the same for at least 6 months.

crjeong
Nov 1, 2007, 04:22 AM
Non-gloss/anti-glare screens gone?

MacSA
Nov 1, 2007, 04:22 AM
Any sign the Mini got a stealth update too?

I still can't believe the combodrive is still there. TOTALLY unacceptable.

john789
Nov 1, 2007, 04:23 AM
yeah for me as well....it shows the old description. on the graphics it says "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sun Baked
Nov 1, 2007, 04:24 AM
don't see it either. still lists the GMA 950 throughout the site.

:confused: :mad:

Edit: I see a 4GB option on the order page though...

It is on the compare specs link on the MacBook order section, until they update the Mac Hardware link.

At least they updated the share memory to 144MB. :p

stakis
Nov 1, 2007, 04:24 AM
I really didn't expect them to release a crazy new macbook before Macworld... I think now they can do a whole new design for Macworld.... Lets see what happens

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 04:25 AM

Haha. 3rd post and already someone is disappointed.

It's strange you know, the MB design is not even two years old yet and people are expecting an entire design change. Maybe that would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath for at least another year!

huy
Nov 1, 2007, 04:25 AM
The black model does not have 2GB of RAM by default. It is still 2x512MB.

deadkenny
Nov 1, 2007, 04:26 AM
No Update in Germany yet.

arn
Nov 1, 2007, 04:27 AM
yeah for me as well....it shows the old description. on the graphics it says "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Product pages not updated yet. Click on MacBook in the store, then click on "Compare Specs" near the middle of the page. it shows the new specs.

arn

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 04:27 AM
Yeah im soooooooooooooo dissapointed. Whatever happened to the aluminun casing..Grrrrrr:(

Wait a year or so. MWSF08 if you're lucky. I doubt it though. Keep complaining... :rolleyes:

Cloudane
Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 AM
Wonder if this means the Mini will get another bump (so soon)

I think you've been LED up the garden path on that one.

/coat

goodtimes5
Nov 1, 2007, 04:30 AM
More like a refresh than an update

john789
Nov 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks arn. Yeah the whole site os not yet updated. here is the link to the update part: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook&nnmm=browse&tg_tabcontroller=tab2&mco=5EAFB58E&family=MacBook

Yeah i might as well get excited and buy after next tuesday. I think i would do it just for the sake of having leopard. :)

rdowns
Nov 1, 2007, 04:32 AM
It's there.

Macmanus
Nov 1, 2007, 04:33 AM
I'm joining this community waiting for the Holy Grail.

I'm telling you this from a reliable source who prefers to remain anonymous : the new Macbook and Macbook Pro will be announced January the 14th, 2008.

The same goes for Office 2008 for Mac, a huge upgrade.

So you've got to be patient. 2 1/2 months to go. Save your money !

Vaphoron
Nov 1, 2007, 04:34 AM
The MacBook Pro just got a 2.6GHz upgrade option! This is definitely just a small refresh and I'm expecting something bigger by January or March.

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 04:34 AM
Wow, I just had the 2.2 in my cart and I put in my card info, and they told me I had been logged out due to inactivity. :mad::mad::mad:!!

So I go back to my cart and find it stuffed with a 2.16 ghz thingy that I don't want. Boo you Apple lol

john789
Nov 1, 2007, 04:36 AM

I'm telling you this from a reliable source who prefers to remain anonymous : the new Macbook and Macbook Pro will be announced January the 14th, 2008.

Really!?!?!?! hmmmmmmmmmmmm its hard to trust anonymous sources......but i think all advises relating "save you money for the best" are always good.

Matteh117
Nov 1, 2007, 04:38 AM

Waited long enough for an update. This one will do.

arn
Nov 1, 2007, 04:39 AM
Guess it was an accident. Oh well, next tuesday if not in the am.

arn

Zargot
Nov 1, 2007, 04:40 AM

You do realize the wireless reception sucks with aluminum casing as compared to plastic, right?

The main reason I have a Macbook is because of the superior wireless reception where I live when compared to the 1.67 PowerBook and the MacBook Pro I previously owned. I wish Apple would give an option for the matte screen on the MacBook, as that's my main dislike with my current one.

Sun Baked
That is funny, everyone was so busy reading and cropping the pics for the MacBook they missed the 2.6GHz MBP. :p

And I know it was there when arn posted his picture, since Apple had already updated the specs then.

thies
I'm fine with the case. Less chance to dent but the crumbling wrist rest has me slightly concerned.
LED backlight or not is not a huge deal for me. Would have been nice but whatever.
Still a combo drive on the low end makes me sad.
A BTO "real" GPU would have been awesome but was sadly a pipedream.

Anyway, I'll be on my way to Atlanta from Europe in two weeks, take advantage of exchange rates and pick one up. Hope the 3100 can keep up with WoW ;) come on, someone rush to a store, buy one and report back how the GPU is faring :D

lofight
Nov 1, 2007, 04:41 AM
belgium no update, even not compare specs, probbaly an accident

Phooto
Nov 1, 2007, 04:41 AM
You gotta laugh!

* You are chatting with Deborah, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Deborah. Welcome to Apple!

Deborah: Hello, how can I help you?

You: When will the new MacBooks be available in the UK?

Deborah: What new MacBooks

You: the 2.2GHz/Santa Rosa and with the new graphics chip

Deborah: ..

You: Intel GMA X3100 instead of the old GMA 950

Deborah: I haven't heard anything about a new MacBook

Deborah: What do you need your Mac to do?

You: They are in the US store!

You: just I don't want to buy end of line right now.

Deborah: ..

Deborah: I have just seen it

Deborah: on the US store

You: Up to 4MB of memory as well!

You: I was told yesterday nothing was coming!

Deborah: I've no information as to when it will be released on the UK store

You: But now you know there is one!

You: ;)

Deborah: Yes thank you!

You: ah well, I'll carry on waiting, maybe later today then.

You: Thanks

Deborah: I'd advise you

Deborah: to keep an eye on the Hot News section of our website

You: No problem, but good to see that Apple staff are kept in the dark as much as the rest of us! ;)

Deborah: May I help with any other product or order questions before you proceed?

You: no that's fine thanks and bye.

Deborah: You're welcome.

Deborah: If you would like more help, please chat with us again.

jockmock
Nov 1, 2007, 04:44 AM
It does say 2.2ghz when you add it to the cart now

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 04:46 AM
Just placed my order!! 2.2 Ghz To be here between the 5th-8th!!! Wooojvvbffv!1:):):)

lofight
Nov 1, 2007, 04:46 AM
You gotta laugh!
Apple tries always too keep it as secret as they can, but many times they just put it accidentally on their site.

jockmock
Nov 1, 2007, 04:48 AM
why are you talking about "accidentaly"? The specs are still there

Sceneshifter
Nov 1, 2007, 04:48 AM
4GB RAM = YES! This is p e r f e c t

lofight
Nov 1, 2007, 04:49 AM
why are you talking about "accidentaly"? The specs are still there

maybe it's not ment to be there., and in other cases.

dadudeness
Nov 1, 2007, 04:50 AM
does anyone know if they updated the MB's iSight to the MBP's 1.3mpx res?

no update on the german site yet :-(

thasan
Nov 1, 2007, 04:52 AM
What a legend. :D

he he he...im disappointed too.... but it might be a bit harsh for the disappointed ppl ;)

timmillwood
Nov 1, 2007, 04:52 AM
I have a 17" MBP and want to go down to a 13" for portability but dont wanna loose speed, im on a 2.33ghz C2D with 2GB now, so was hoping for a MB of that spec, not far off.

Will i notice it being slower if I got for a Black book with extra ram??

KingScooty
Nov 1, 2007, 04:53 AM
Awesome!! I'll be buying one from UK store when it's updated :)
What is this LED backlight that everyone keeps talking about tho? Does the screen not light up anyway? lol

athanacius
Nov 1, 2007, 04:54 AM
My question is this:
If you bought the old one, let's say yesterday, are you supposed to pay the 10% fee to get this the next day? Consider that you have OBVIOUSLY opened the box to use your machine.

??

xUKHCx
Nov 1, 2007, 04:55 AM
Would this take the same ram as the white iMacs by any chance.

DGG
Nov 1, 2007, 04:55 AM
Hi, I just joined...

So, while this thing plays out and we see if it goes up today or not, could one of you guys who understands the details of the hardware perhaps explain how significant the improvements are?

For instance, the clock speed on the 2,16 has gone up and the one on the cheap one hasn't, so does that mean that the gap between the two of them has widened?

And 4 GB of RAM, will that show significant improvement? Etc.

And the graphic cards? What would be the before and after comparison?

Please enlighten the less knowledgable of us!

Thanks!!

amiskwia
Nov 1, 2007, 04:56 AM
No update on the spanish site yet :-(
Have the prices remained the same? Or have they bumped them up? I don't remember the old prices.
It's not the greatest update, but I think it's good enough.

But, untimely me, I just made an order yesterday for the 2,16 GHz. Hopefully as I ordered the laptop at a retail store and not online, and that I payed via bank transfer instead of credit card, I am hoping that when I go back to the store to pick the MacBook up I will be able to get the newer one. That is if the prices remain the same, of course.

Saludos.

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 04:56 AM

If the white iMacs use the same ram as the 'older' models of the MB, then yeah. SSD DDR2, the ram hadn't changed on the page when I placed my order :D

Wild-Bill
Nov 1, 2007, 04:57 AM
The MacBook Pro just got a 2.6GHz upgrade option! This is definitely just a small refresh and I'm expecting something bigger by January or March.

Yeah. 200 MHz speed bump for the low low price of only $250.00

Way to fleece the customers, Apple. :rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Nov 1, 2007, 04:57 AM

This new machine should be using PC2-5300

There's also the option of a 5400rpm 250Gb hard drive on the MB and MBP that I'm sure wasn't' there before!

SL

That would be a bump up from the 4200rpm drive?

superleccy
Nov 1, 2007, 04:58 AM
There's also the option of a 5400rpm 250Gb hard drive on the MB and MBP that I'm sure wasn't' there before!

SL

Telefonkiosk
This is great!
Going to ask some questings in Buying tips-forum and buy as soon as the norwegian applestore updates!

Too bad about the combodrive, guess i'll have to go for the middle one then.

DoFoT9
wwwwwwoooooooooohhhhhhooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

about time. nothing intersting really, but it will do me :D

Pressure
Nov 1, 2007, 05:00 AM
The Apple Store in Denmark is still selling the old MacBook, nice...

nja247
Nov 1, 2007, 05:01 AM
I was hoping for something lighter as happened with the MBP's and SR, thus I'll be waiting for Gen 4! My bejeweled and snood games won't really take advantage of that new integrated chip, lol.

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 05:03 AM
hmph havent even updated the aust stores... :(

superleccy
Nov 1, 2007, 05:05 AM
That would be a bump up from the 4200rpm drive?
Yes, and about time too! I know this because I'd have paid for that upgrade in August when I bought my MBP if it had have been available.

SL

mcai3db3
Nov 1, 2007, 05:05 AM

Ok, so we're talking the exact same type of ram that current macbooks use yeah?

DDR2, 5300, 667Mhz, 200-pin etc?

koentje.k
Nov 1, 2007, 05:06 AM
Dutch Store is also still selling "old" MacBooks... To bad! Really want to order a new one now.

BossHogg
Nearly spit my cup of coffee reading this ! Nice surprise ! Although the US pages now seem back to the old MB with a 4GB option....mmmm....c'mon new specs - come to papa ! :D

timmillwood
Awesome!! I'll be buying one from UK store when it's updated :)
What is this LED backlight that everyone keeps talking about tho? Does the screen not light up anyway? lol

The LED backlight gives a purer brighter light, normal LCDs use some sort or other light panel to light them. LEDs also last longer and use less power.

kresh
Nov 1, 2007, 05:07 AM
Apple just updated the spec sheets on the website (not only in the store).

Freegrout
Nov 1, 2007, 05:07 AM
The Ireland store is still selling the old one too... This is a little confusing. I wonder would it be cheaper to buy 4GB of RAM yourself rather then adding 500 euros to the price. The 250GB 5400rpm hard drive is welcome. That old 200GB option that was running at 4200rpm was a bit of a joke.

xUKHCx
Nov 1, 2007, 05:08 AM

Which I believe is the same RAMa sthe last white iMacs.

superleccy
Nov 1, 2007, 05:09 AM
No LED
Where does it say that the new MacBooks don't have LED backlit screens?

Or, where does it say that the 15" MBPs Do?

SL

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 05:10 AM
..because the blackbooks cost $200 more but only offer an upgrade of 40 gigs and the black color. Wow. Maybe a $100 price differential?:rolleyes:

MIDI_EVIL
Nov 1, 2007, 05:12 AM
UK store still displaying old models. Be patient!

This quite a nice upgrade. Santa Rosa with 4GB RAM is enough for me to consider the MacBook now, but I suppose the iMac has FW800...:rolleyes:

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 05:16 AM
I wonder would it be cheaper to buy 4GB of RAM yourself rather then adding 500 euros to the price.

I think it's significantly cheaper. Especially if you're in the UK. Apple like our bottoms...

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 05:22 AM
Where does it say that the new MacBooks don't have LED backlit screens?

Or, where does it say that the 15" MBPs Do?

SL

Tech Specs. If you go to them specs for the display on the Pro, it states they use an LED display, but on the new specs page for the MB, TFT display?

TechSpecs for MBP (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html)

Matteh117
Nov 1, 2007, 05:26 AM
US store now shows "up to 2.2GHz" in the overview..?

superleccy
Nov 1, 2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Specs. If you go to them specs for the display on the Pro, it states they use an LED display, but on the new specs page for the MB, TFT display?

TechSpecs for MBP (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html)
Ah, cheers. It hadn't been updated last time I looked.

SL

dago
Nov 1, 2007, 05:31 AM
New manual on-line:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_Late2007_UserGuide.pdf

samh004
Well my MacBook is now out of date but I don't think the difference is too big for now. I'll be interested to hear how the new graphics perform, but I'd guess a 133MHz bus increase and 40MHz processor increase wont matter too much.

Thankfully they didn't do something stupid with the case :D

chrislp
200GB 7200rpm HD option now listed for MacBook Pro

mosx
Nov 1, 2007, 05:32 AM
Glad to see they didn't bother with ugly aluminum casing.

But still an Intel GPU? Yawn :rolleyes: I guess they decided that a card that performs on par with low-end dedicated GPUs from 2002 (Intel comparing the X3100 to the GeForce4 Ti 4200) is good enough for now.

Come on Apple. Is it really so hard to put a GeForce 8400M GS in there? If you must use a shared/integrated GPU, why not an ATI Xpress 1150/1250 or nVidia GeForce 7150M?

sonusfaber
Nov 1, 2007, 05:32 AM
Why would someone be dissapointed? I mean we all knew it was just gonna be a small update anyway to boost sales a little for the holidays. Next "major" updates will come spring 2008 (as it always goes with the MB updates, spring vs. fall) and will probably be the backlit LED and alu cases. The point now is everone who almost got killed by the waiting, can stop whining now and finally get their new MB, and that's a good thing.

The lowest model doesn't have a Superdrive and hasn't gone up in CPU speed but I think apple made a logical choice there, otherwise the lowest and middle model would be too close to each other. I mean why would you get the middle model for just those 200Mhz's and 40GB HDD extra? I wouldn't pay $200 for that... ever.

The Ireland store is still selling the old one too... This is a little confusing. I wonder would it be cheaper to buy 4GB of RAM yourself rather then adding 500 euros to the price. The 250GB 5400rpm hard drive is welcome. That old 200GB option that was running at 4200rpm was a bit of a joke.
It would be cheaper indeed to get your own RAM, add getting your own HDD to that as well.

samh004
Nov 1, 2007, 05:33 AM
..because the blackbooks cost $200 more but only offer an upgrade of 40 gigs and the black color. Wow. Maybe a $100 price differential?:rolleyes:

As I have found with my purchase, the black case is different to the white case and shouldn't just be treated as pouring a different colour into a mixing machine.

kresh
Nov 1, 2007, 05:34 AM
As I have found with my purchase, the black case is different to the white case and shouldn't just be treated as pouring a different colour into a mixing machine.

Do you men better or worse quality wise?

king756
Nov 1, 2007, 05:38 AM
GRRRRR

My Apple Student Developer discount expired on Wednesday. Going to have to wait now till next payday before I renew it and get a new Mac Book. Maybe Java will be sorted out in the next month to so I will be able to get some work done instead of dual booting it into ubuntu.

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 05:39 AM

I'm sure you're right. I've never owner a blackbook so I wouldn't know the difference. I guess it's just the 'window appeal' type of difference. Maybe an everyday usual consumer wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

fadethis
Nov 1, 2007, 05:40 AM
a bit upsetting.. i'm officially one of those 'bought a MPB 4 days before refresh' people. literally. my first mac too!

oh well.

i suppose i'm better off having spent $150 maxing out the RAM at 4gb (purchased at newegg) than spending $250 on .2ghz anyway. according to the website L2 cache is still 4mb

originally upgraded the HD to 7200rpm.. would definitely have spent 50more bucks on the new 200gb 7200rpm which is really my only real gripe

that's ok, looks like an upgrade to the processor and/or HD would take 2-3 weeks to ship! no thanks.. ill take my MBP now and wait for a more substantial upgrade!

rph105
Nov 1, 2007, 05:41 AM
4gb ram can't be bad eh?

un1ty
Nov 1, 2007, 05:47 AM
I found one difference with the newer models from skimming the manual. They are using the new media keys like the new keyboards. Here is a grab from the manual.

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 05:48 AM
I found one difference with the newer models from skimming the manual. They are using the new media keys like the new keyboards. Here is a grab from the manual.

looks like they are following the new imac keyboard layout..

i like the old order...hmph

Cuckoo
Nov 1, 2007, 05:50 AM

LMAO at combo drive still being there...how pathetic. Why would they do that? Go into any big box store and you'd be hard pressed to find a single laptop with no DVD burner - it's become so mainstream now that it's really weird Apple still hasn't fully adopted it across the line.

Well, to be honest, if it were an option, i would take 50 euro's off to get a combo drive.. i never ever ever burn a dvd, and hardly ever a cd...

so there are some folks who just don't care about how many multiple layers, colors and sides a dvd has

and to be even more honest, i'd pay 100 euro's more for a macbook (pro) with no optical drive and more battery life ... for the instances were i'd need to burn something i'd just use some el-cheapo usb thingy

Umbongo
Nov 1, 2007, 05:50 AM
Hi, I just joined...

So, while this thing plays out and we see if it goes up today or not, could one of you guys who understands the details of the hardware perhaps explain how significant the improvements are?

For instance, the clock speed on the 2,16 has gone up and the one on the cheap one hasn't, so does that mean that the gap between the two of them has widened?

There is minimal difference anyway. I certainly wouldn't buy for the extra processing power, the superdrive yes, hard drive maybe. The processor is there to further difference in the eyes of the customer rather than giving you a real benefit under regular use.

And 4 GB of RAM, will that show significant improvement? Etc.

If how you use the system will benefit from more memory then yes. Probably best to try 2GB first and resell and buy else where if that isn't enough.

And the graphic cards? What would be the before and after comparison?

It's better than the old one, but still it's a lowend solution, more for video than games. Though games were taken in to account when it was designed I believe.

BossHogg
Nov 1, 2007, 05:57 AM
Now......my local Apple Store best have 'em in stock ! ;)

Freegrout
Nov 1, 2007, 05:59 AM
It would be cheaper indeed to get your own RAM, add getting your own HDD to that as well.

I just realised how cheap the Macbooks in the US actually are; do you guys realise that the most basic Macbook you can buy in Ireland costs $1515?

DGG
Nov 1, 2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks Umbongo!

I let the "free IPod-back to school" offer go waiting for this, I hope it's worth it.

bilbo--baggins
Nov 1, 2007, 06:00 AM
Wake me up when the new Mac Pros are announced...

DoFoT9
I just realised how cheap the Macbooks in the US actually are; do you guys realise that the most basic Macbook you can buy in Ireland costs $1515?

lol havent u heard of different economies??? and exchange rates/?

mcai3db3
Now......my local Apple Store best have 'em in stock ! ;)

ditto.

Off to King of Prussia tomorrow... gonna be annoyed if they dont have them...

If i set off @ 1am EST i should get there before closing

webmong
Nov 1, 2007, 06:02 AM
They had better remember that the Dollar has fallen by over 10% since the last product refresh.

There needs to be a cut in UK/Eurozone pricing:

£650/£770/£899 would be approaching fairness. Why do I know this isn't going to happen though... :rolleyes:

tjcampbell
Nov 1, 2007, 06:05 AM
Still no sign of them on the UK store, hopefully they will surface in the next day or two. I need to pick up one for my ladies folks. They are switchers. Very excited for them. Their PC has given them nothing but grief. It'll be nice for them to have the latest and greatest.

NYmacAttack
It seems the new macbooks lost a little weight too 5.2lbs->5.0lbs

EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Well, if the past rumors that the Macbook will be the last update for the lineup this year.... then that Mac Pro update has eluded all those in waiting. Now what am I going to do about my itch to buy and the saved $3,000 in the bank?

samh004
Nov 1, 2007, 06:09 AM

So you've got to be patient. 2 1/2 months to go. Save your money!

I've tried Office 2008, it's all right, nothing spectacular at this stage.

As for your source, ask him why they'd release an update again in only two and a half months time. Seems a bit silly to most people. Regardless, if Apple changes the MacBook to al aluminium design I'll be sticking with mine until they come to their senses.. if they move away from aluminium on both lines, I might become a Pro purchaser...

Do you men better or worse quality wise?

Definitely better, I think it's better quality of plastic.

Don't forget that tax isn't on the official price as it varies by state over there, but if you want the cheapest deals, looks at some of the Asian prices, like in Hong Kong :p

Well, if the past rumors that the Macbook will be the last update for the lineup this year.... then that Mac Pro update has eluded all those in waiting. Now what am I going to do about my itch to buy and the saved $3,000 in the bank?

Keep saving, get a better spec'd machine when they're finally released. Surely that's an even better deal, because they HAVE to be released soon, and if you have more money, you can buy more processors... etc... :D ;)

Freegrout
Nov 1, 2007, 06:10 AM
^ I guess you'd expect it from Hong Kong though, right?

Well I converted it by the current exchange rate, which admittedly is skewed by the tumbling value of the dollar as a result of the collapsing sup-prime mortgage market in the US. The GDP per capita in Ireland is only seven hundred dollars more then it is in the US ($43,800 to $44,500). That kind of difference doesn't warrant a 50% price hike, does it?

But then hey, you're right. What would I know about differing economies? :confused:

Macmanus
Nov 1, 2007, 06:15 AM
As I've written before (see page 2), if you want the Holy Grail, then wait January the 14th, 2008.

Also, there's three reasons not to buy right now :

1) the mac book is still a rather heavy laptop : 5 pds. The tendancy right now is to go under 4.5.

2) the optical drive becomes useless, especially for those who want a region free one (on a Mac it's pretty hard to watch DVDs from different zones), so a laptop without an optical drive with an external drive is the future.

3) last but not least, leopard will be much more operational on the new 2008 plateform.

deadkenny
Nov 1, 2007, 06:17 AM

Well I converted it by the current exchange rate, which admittedly is skewed by the tumbling value of the dollar as a result of the collapsing sup-prime mortgage market in the US. The GDP per capita in Ireland is only seven hundred dollars more then it is in the US ($43,800 to $44,500). That kind of difference doesn't warrant a 50% price hike, does it?

But then hey, you're right. What would I know about differing economies? :confused:

While the GDP per capita in Germany and the largest part of the Euro Zone (exceptions are Ireland, Belgium etc.) are much lower than the ones in the US.
Even though it is right, in Germany the MacBook is 1449€ incl. 19% tax so it's 1217€ net which is still quite a difference to 1040€ in the US.

The dollar was humbeling before the sup-prima mortage accident. The sup-prime story only made things a little worse.

Aquila
Nov 1, 2007, 06:18 AM
The Apple Store (Netherlands) isnt updated yet. Neither are the specifications when you compare the models..

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 06:19 AM

ok good for you. point proven. i wasnt sure if you were quoting your $1515 price in Euro's still (thats what you use isnt it???)

Schut
Nov 1, 2007, 06:19 AM
I can't believe combo drives still exist.

VaDor
Nov 1, 2007, 06:20 AM
Here is a review comparing intel gma 950 , intel x3100 and others in terms of performance and boost

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=39568

This chart ranks every current notebook GPU's performance from least at the top to greatest at the bottom.
Quote:
Intel GMA900
Intel GMA950
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
Nvidia GeForce Go6100/6150
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100/1150
ATI Radeon Xpress 1200/1250
Intel GMA X3100
Nvidia GeForce Go6200
Nvidia GeForce Go7900GTX
Nvidia GeForce Go7950GTX

samh004
Nov 1, 2007, 06:22 AM

There's no GST/VAT being the main reason ;)

As I've written before (see page 2), if you want the Holy Grail, then wait January the 14th, 2008.

1) the mac book is still a rather heavy laptop : 5 pds. The tendancy right now is to go under 4.5.

Yes, I can't wait for Apple to make it even more compact and light by limiting breathing spaces and removing fans. I also can't wait to become sterile from using a laptop on my lap.

2) the optical drive becomes useless, especially for those who want a region free one (on a Mac it's pretty hard to watch DVDs from different zones), so a laptop without an optical drive with an external drive is the future.

While your quite true that a world traveller such as myself has issues with which DVD's I can and can't play, why do you think the "Apple-approved external DVD drive" will be region free ? It would still be locked to your region, lets face facts here.

3) last but not least, leopard will be much more operational on the new 2008 plateform.

That goes both ways, machines that are designed FOR Leopard will surely run it better and be able to take advantage of new features, however at the same time, continued development and bug fixes in incremental updates shall also make older machines work better with Leopard.

My two machines run fine :)

Here is a review comparing intel gma 950 , intel x3100 and others in terms of performance and boost

Thanks, that had absolutely no specs or real comparisons at all. I'll wait for some head-to-head benchmarks and such. All I'm interested in is what the difference in graphics is really like.

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 06:23 AM
i knew they'd come thru. not expecting this timing though. but, an update is better than no update

Freegrout
Nov 1, 2007, 06:23 AM
ok good for you. point proven. i wasnt sure if you were quoting your $1515 price in Euro's still (thats what you use isnt it???)

Yeah, most of the EU does, except the UK. I didn't mean anything by that ^, I was just yanking your chain. :p :rolleyes:

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 06:26 AM

nice nice

Yeah, most of the EU does, except the UK. I didn't mean anything by that ^, I was just yanking your chain. :p :rolleyes:

ha ok i see. smartarse :P. yea i understand the economy. just not that much of it. i think i could only understand the "the, and, result, a" parts of ur paragraph. went straight thru my head.

but then again. i am only 18.

erik89
Nov 1, 2007, 06:28 AM

In Denmark the cheapest macbook costs 7999 dkr = $1503

and the black one costs 11999 dkr = $2113

no wonder apple doesn't sell that much in Europe !

Stella
Nov 1, 2007, 06:29 AM
Wasn't expecting a Thursday update! This is what most were expecting - S.R - an OK update.

The Canadian pricing is disappointing.

babboxy
Nov 1, 2007, 06:29 AM
FANTASTIC!!!

...just a little speed bump.

so all the development went into the macpro that I'll buy next tuesday... sorry guys :D

Aquila
Nov 1, 2007, 06:31 AM
I will probably buy one of those updated MacBooks, but when will the other stores update?

I live in the Neterhlands and you still see the old Macbook. Thanks!!

thies
Nov 1, 2007, 06:33 AM
November 1st. Guess that means Multimedia was wrong. :rolleyes:

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 06:34 AM
I will probably buy one of those updated MacBooks, but when will the other stores update?

I live in the Neterhlands and you still see the old Macbook. Thanks!!

id say within the next coupla days.
the australia store still hasnt updated it. because its not official yet. (isnt it?)

depi
Nov 1, 2007, 06:35 AM
Cool that the upgrade is finally there.
Anyways is there any difference between 2.16GHz and 2.2Ghz C2D processor? :D

Also if I'm right, the new MacBooks now support a higher resolution?!

mosx
Nov 1, 2007, 06:36 AM
It's better than the old one, but still it's a lowend solution, more for video than games. Though games were taken in to account when it was designed I believe.

Thats not true at all. The X3100 finally has full MPEG-2 decoding capabilities. But it has no deblocking capabilities for any form of video, no hardware acceleration or decoding of H.264/WMV/DivX/XviD.

In regards to video, the X3100 is only slightly better than the GMA950 in that it will lower CPU use SLIGHTLY because it can do more of the decoding work. But when you take overhead and bandwidth into account, because it is a shared/integrated GPU, that point becomes null and void.

The current crop of nVidia and ATI integrated GPUs DO have advanced video features, like video deblocking. Just about every dedicated GPU available, including the ones designed for systems like the MacBook such as the GeForce 8400M GS, offer deblocking, H.264 decoding, acceleration, and deblocking, etc.

That list is based on synthetic benchmarks and paper specs listed on another website. Not exactly what I would call accurate. Intel themselves have put the performance at about on par with the GeForce4 Ti 4200. Basically, a low-end desktop GPU from 2002.

You can also look at that list referred to in that thread, which is the basis of that threads list, and see that the Intel GMA950 places higher thanks to those synthetic benchmarks than the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.

I had a Radeon Xpress 200M (with 128MB of dedicated memory) powered by a Turion64 ML-37 (2GHz). Compared to the GMA 950 in my MacBook (backed by a Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz), the ATI card mops the floor with the GMA 950 in real world situations. There were several instances where the Radeon Xpress 200M could push 60fps in UT2k4 with everything set to full running at 1280x800. While the GMA 950 on my MacBook can barely choke out 30fps with everything set to medium at 800x600.

If you browse around notebookreview, you'll find that the X3100 drivers are still very immature and most games do not even function properly yet. Some play, but the majority wont. And you won't get newer games like UT3 or Gears of War. Which the GeForce 8400M GS (that Apple should offer in the MacBook) can play.

It really is sad that Apple is using the worst of the worst GPUs and still charging a premium for it.

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 06:37 AM
Cool that the upgrade is finally there.
Anyways is there any difference between 2.16GHz and 2.2Ghz C2D processor? :D

oh only of about 0.04ghz lol

gerrycurl
Nov 1, 2007, 06:37 AM
why are the first 30-40 comments so mind numbingly useless?!

every comment is either:

- there not being aluminum case mods
- yawn for the boring update
- some stupid shout for joy by some idiot that's been holding out for the *next* update cycle before he buys.

how about some real comments, how about what the performance comparison is between x3100 and gma 950?! how about battery performance difference? how about resolutions, x264 native decoders, etc?

mklnz
Nov 1, 2007, 06:38 AM
Costs $1417 USD here in New Zealand..pretty bad too :(

In Denmark the cheapest macbook costs 7999 dkr = $1503

and the black one costs 11999 dkr = $2113

no wonder apple doesn't sell that much in Europe !

Muzzway
Nov 1, 2007, 06:42 AM
Wow, that was a really quiet update (same with MacBook Pro 2.6GHz); makes you think it was a leak.

Roba
Nov 1, 2007, 06:42 AM
This is a good link. The x3100 is still a class 5 graphics card but it is a bit better and ranked higher than the GMA 950 card.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-X3100.2176.0.html
The graphics card on the last iBook and PowerBook's are still better than the x3100 card though.

drchipinski
Nov 1, 2007, 06:49 AM
No aluminum, no need to buy. :mad:

samh004
Nov 1, 2007, 06:50 AM

If the display spec was upped, you'd be on par with a much more expensive machine, so it's staying where it is. Also appears as though you still wont be able to connect to a 30" display.

oh only of about 0.04ghz lol

40MHz sounds better, and don't forget 133MHz bus speed increase :p

This is a good link. The x3100 is still a class 5 graphics card but it is a bit better and ranked higher than the GMA 950 card.
The graphics card on the last iBook and PowerBook's are still better than the x3100 card though.

That last bit of information is useful to know, however I still will eagerly wait a head-to-head comparison between the old and new. That'll really show the difference.

No aluminum, no need to buy. :mad:

That's a good thing if you like a smooth, ding-free surface and good wireless capabilities... oh, that's right, I forgot, no one here likes those two features. They like the surface of the moon, wires, and of course, style from 4 years ago...

mosx
Nov 1, 2007, 06:50 AM

Those two links are going by synthetic benchmarks. Not real world performance. 3DMark is an absolutely terrible way to judge your system's performance. You can run the benchmark twice in a row and get two completely different scores.

And just look at that list. The ATI Xpress 200M scores LOWER than the Intel GMA 950. I can tell you from experience, having owned systems with both, that the real world performance is completely opposite. I ran UT2k4 on my Turion64 ML-37 (2GHz) system with 1GB of RAM, the Xpress 200M (had 128MB of dedicated memory, but was still an "integrated" card), and XP MCE. I ran it at 1280x800x32 with everything set to the highest, and some levels were able to run at 60fps. Most around 40. The GMA 950 in my MacBook, with 1GB of RAM, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, and XP Pro can barely choke out 30fps at 800x600 with everything set to medium.

Synthetic benchmarks mean absolutely nothing. Go read what the users with the card have posted and you'll find that the X3100 is extremely disappointing, if the drivers allow it to run at all.

Plus it still has no advanced video features, like H.264 decoding, deblocking, etc.

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 06:51 AM
40MHz sounds better, and don't forget 133MHz bus speed increase :p

lol true. 40mhz tahts like 1/10th of a graphite imac!!! pretty crazy.
the bus speed increase it good ill admit that. quite nice :) nummy

amiskwia
Nov 1, 2007, 06:53 AM
Have the prices remained the same? Or have they bumped them up? I don't remember the old prices.

But, untimely me, I just made an order yesterday for the 2,16 GHz. Hopefully as I ordered the laptop at a retail store and not online, and that I payed via bank transfer instead of credit card, I am hoping that when I go back to the store to pick the MacBook up I will be able to get the newer one. That is if the prices remain the same, of course.

Saludos.

Bye Bye Baby
Nov 1, 2007, 06:58 AM

Absolute rubbish- not everyone needs a DVD burner. Actually not everyone needs an internal dvd drive. Some would be happy if it was external. If it keeps the price down, I'm happy.

djellison
Nov 1, 2007, 06:58 AM
It's 2007, machines that cost less than HALF the £700 Apple charge for the low end Macbook include a DVD writer. They did away with the combo drive in the iMac...the time to do the same with the Macbook is long, long gone. The profit margin per unit is very healthy as it is - the issue of 'saving' money doesn't enter into it - it's piss poor marketting.

"Hmm - £700's not bad"
"It doesn't burn DVD's"
"WHAT? I'd have to get the £829 one to burn DVD's?"

Doug

samh004
Nov 1, 2007, 06:59 AM

Saludos.

Prices have remained the same, seeing as you haven't even opened the new computer, haven't even picked it up, I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade at no additional cost.

There's normally a restocking fee for opened computers, but seeing as you've yet to even receive it, I can't imagine you'll have any issues. If there are, just return it and buy again.

OK - here's one. What the HELL are Apple thinking selling a machine without a DVD Writer. It's 2007, machines that cost less than HALF the £700 Apple charge for the low end Macbook include a DVD writer. They did away with the combo drive in the iMac...the time to do the same with the Macbook is long, long gone. This sort of corner cutting is very very hard to justify.
Doug

Yet they'll still sell a bundle of them to many people that wont even care that they can't burn their home movies.

jellomizer
Nov 1, 2007, 06:59 AM
I wouln't expect too much at MacWorld Apple's sudden popularity has made them a bit more conservative in case redesigns. Even the lastest change of the Aluminum iMac is the same design but with new casing. I think long are the days of really interesting products like the G4 iMac (I sill love that design, even over the current one) They are going to stick with the designs that work. for much longer, Apple will probably make most of its invocation on new products and not as much on existing products.

aliquis-
Nov 1, 2007, 07:00 AM

What is strange - if I go into the store right now - the old Macbooks show.No weird touchpad either. Why would they be made in aluminium?

Old ones here in Sweden aswell.

LMAO at combo drive still being there...how pathetic. Why would they do that? Go into any big box store and you'd be hard pressed to find a single laptop with no DVD burner - it's become so mainstream now that it's really weird Apple still hasn't fully adopted it across the line.To fool people into buying/paying even more of course? Same thing as with 128MB vram. Apple suck.

now that's surprising^^. nice surprise though.

Looks like Apple is milking the cow, and we'll see major updates in January.

What do you thinkI think macbook pro will update in jan and macbook way later, may?

Yeah, same for me on the UK store. How much better is the x3100 than GMA950 anyway? I heared there was quite a difference.It's still crap compared to a real GPU but supports more features and I've think I've read that it is around 2 times faster. There was also some talk about DX10 drivers, I have no idea how they would fix that but probably by using the CPU a lot I guess.

[Edit:] Check out the specs. They finally included a real graphics card for the mid and high end Macbook just for you gamers.no?

moracity
Nov 1, 2007, 07:01 AM
Exchange rates have little or nothing to do with retail pricing. Otherwise, retail prices would be in a constant state of flux. Import tariffs and other import costs have a much greater impact.

Exchange rates also have little to do with the buying power of given currencies in a local economy. The only time the exchange matters is if you are making a purchase in a foreign country.

The price of a MacBook in Ireland is 866.94 euro (ex VAT). The price of a MacBook in the US is 1099 (ex sales tax). Even using the current exchange rate, that's only a 150 dollar difference, which is easily accounted for by import/shipping costs. Sure, the Apple stores says "free shipping", but nothing is free..it's simply built into the price. Certainly, it costs Apple more to ship a MacBook to Ireland than to anywhere in the US.

Regardless, exchange rate conversion is not the proper way to compare those prices because the exchange rate has nothing to do with an Irish citizen making a purchase in his local economy.

On the other hand, the current weakness of the dollar against the euro could potentially result in savings if an Irish citizen were to do a currency exchange and purchase MacBook in dollars from the US. You would probably only see savings if you happened to be in the US, since shipping costs may cancel out any savings.

In the end, it's best to just not worry about what people are paying for goods in other countries because there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

samh004
Nov 1, 2007, 07:06 AM
No weird touchpad either. Why would they be made in aluminium?

All the other products have some aluminium in them, so everyone assumes that the MB has to have some too, even if that sort of design is from 4+ years ago... although the point above about being a little more conservative with designs is a good point too, regarding this whole aluminium issue.

mavherzog
Nov 1, 2007, 07:06 AM
This is exactly what I was hoping would happen. Exactly what I wanted...SR, x3100, and being able to address 4GB of ram. The perfect MacBook update in my eyes.

DoFoT9
Nov 1, 2007, 07:07 AM
This is exactly what I was hoping would happen. Exactly what I wanted...SR, x3100, and being able to address 4GB of ram. The perfect MacBook update in my eyes.

yes 2nd that. rremembering that its only a MINOR update. its not like its june/july and theyr gonna re-do the whole computer. a nice small update to keep cutomers interested is good enuf for me

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 07:08 AM

well it would be if they made one a little smaller. but it's still a good update. the 4GB of ram is a big deal in my eyes

nilk
Nov 1, 2007, 07:08 AM

Agreed, DVD burner needs to be standard. I wonder what will happen once there are Blue Ray/HD-DVD drives. Will they put the DVD burner in the base model then?

m.d.
Nov 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
The PowerBook was last updated in October 2005, with Apple planning the transition to Intel starting in the new year. So, thinks myself, great time to invest in a Mac laptop, seeing as they won't be getting updated til the end of that transition... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the MacBook's on its way out, but the minimalist nature of this upgrade means I'll be sticking with my PowerBook for a few Next Tuesdays yet.

mcai3db3
Nov 1, 2007, 07:14 AM
In the end, it's best to just not worry about what people are paying for goods in other countries because there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

Im getting education prices when I goto the US (im a UK resident), on the 2.2Ghz MacBook with a Mini-DVI Adapter for about $1,280 inc tax aka £640. It'd be £793.13 in the UK on an education deal.

£150 difference.

My flight is only £280.

Now technically, I believe customs rules dictate you have to declare your purchases etc.. Which may well involve added taxes.

Either way, its a decent amount of cash if you're actually in the country, if you were trying to ship it in - i'd say don't bother with the hassle.

Mackan
Nov 1, 2007, 07:22 AM
To fool people into buying/paying even more of course? Same thing as with 128MB vram. Apple suck.

Yeah, it is so ridiculous. Have to pick the middle model just to get a dvd burner on macbook, or more than 128 MB vram on macbook pro, but then you also have to pay much more... More people should react on this. Again, it is ridiculous.

djellison
Nov 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
To fool people into buying/paying even more of course? .

Unfortuantely, I know of a few cases where it's fooled people into buying something other than a Mac.

They see £349 laptops that have dvd writers....I'm there saying 'look at my Macbook, it's great' - and they're interested. 'How much?'. The basic one is twice the price of the PC Laptop you were looking at - but you'll have to pay nearly two and a half times the price if you want to be able to burn DVD's as well. It makes a hard sell just about impossible. If Apple are doing it to save money ( probably about £5 less profit margin on a machine with a very very healthy margin already ) then they're screwing themselves over more than their customers.

Doug

bigandy
Nov 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
oh great. now this is something else i have to resist buying :o

desenso
Nov 1, 2007, 07:26 AM
Yeah, it is so ridiculous. Have to pick the middle model just to get a dvd burner on macbook, or more than 128 MB vram on macbook pro, but then you also have to pay much more... More people should react on this. Again, it is ridiculous.

Congratulations, you are a finalist for the "whiniest comment ever" award. Here's hoping you get it!

Apple allows you to upgrade your computer for what they deem to be an acceptable price. They also offer a way to make the computers cheaper if you don't need 256mb vram, or a superdrive.

amiskwia
Nov 1, 2007, 07:26 AM
Prices have remained the same, seeing as you haven't even opened the new computer, haven't even picked it up, I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade at no additional cost.

There's normally a restocking fee for opened computers, but seeing as you've yet to even receive it, I can't imagine you'll have any issues. If there are, just return it and buy again.

It's good to know the prices haven't changed. Hopefully they won't change here in Spain either and I will be able to get the updated MacBook.
I couldn't wait any longer to buy my laptop because I need it for work, and I was a bit mad with all these rumors about upgrades because I feared I was going to buy the MB and I was going to miss the upgrade.
But it looks like I'll be able to make it! :)

Saludos.

ezekielrage_99
Nov 1, 2007, 07:27 AM
About time they updated the GMA950.....

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 07:28 AM
oh great. now this is something else i have to resist buying :o

yeah i've gotta resist as well.....

DanB91
Nov 1, 2007, 07:29 AM
is the x3100 comparable to a dedicated graphics card?

Freegrout
Nov 1, 2007, 07:29 AM
Exchange rates have little or nothing to do with retail pricing. Otherwise, retail prices would be in a constant state of flux. Import tariffs and other import costs have a much greater impact.

Exchange rates also have little to do with the buying power of given currencies in a local economy. The only time the exchange matters is if you are making a purchase in a foreign country.

Regardless, exchange rate conversion is not the proper way to compare those prices because the exchange rate has nothing to do with an Irish citizen making a purchase in his local economy.

That's a fair point, in some respects I'd admit to being hoist by my own petard (as Stewie Griffin might say). There's not a huge financial loss involved in moving Mac's to the EU though, the import tax is high for a reason, and that I can accept. It's the idea that there's a price hike without just cause that really... grinds my gears.

jackc
Nov 1, 2007, 07:35 AM
Wow, that really is a quiet update. It even says "Same lovable MacBook" on this page:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 07:36 AM
You want facts? Read a newspaper.

Couldn't help but highlight this near-oxymoron. And I don't mean you're a moron.

blisters
Nov 1, 2007, 07:38 AM
[Edit:] Check out the specs. They finally included a real graphics card for the mid and high end Macbook just for you gamers.

no they didn't. it's still integrated. gamers should stay away from the macbook. it's not really meant for that sort of thing.

web, email, word processing...that's pretty much all the macbook is designed to handle.

aafuss1
Nov 1, 2007, 07:38 AM
The new MacBook's now get 144MB of shared RAM with the X3100-nice.

And I'm happy to see the MacBook's finally get the Santa Rosa chipset.

Although-still waiting to see if the mini will also get another silent update with SR and X3100.

Hattig
Nov 1, 2007, 07:39 AM

No. It's better than the previous integrated graphics in the MacBook, but it won't make any modern games playable unless they were bearable on the MacBook already (with reduced settings, etc). I think there are some reviews online. It will also depend on Apple's drivers for Mac OS X and if they use all the hardware (it took Intel a year to get their drivers to be fully featured, and hopefully Apple's drivers are based off of these final drivers).

ck2
Just asked Apple UK:

When will the new MacBook available in UK?

They said:

Sometime definitely in the next couple of days.

wooo hooooo..........:)

blisters
no. not even close.

In Sams World
Nov 1, 2007, 07:40 AM
Hey everyone.

I must say its pretty neat to come home from work to a Macbook update....but....

I currently have a 2.16 Macbook on order here in australia, it is not yet shipped, reckon I will be able to change it for the new one?

Sam

Plumbstone
Nov 1, 2007, 07:41 AM
Just asked Apple UK:

When will the new MacBook available in UK?

They said:

Sometime definitely in the next couple of days.

wooo hooooo..........:)

But I want one now!!!!

(throws toys from pram)

chicagostars
Nov 1, 2007, 07:41 AM
Seems like some of the negative comments are from folks expecting the MacBook to morph into something more comparable to a MacBook Pro. Come on folks, that's not going to happen unless there's an update to the MacBook Pro itself. I'd love to have seen a bit more in the upgrade than the bump that did occur, but we've got to be realistic.

I don't want to jump all the way to the flipside and be out and out snarky and condescending to people who's hope seem to have been dashed, but it seems like some people heaping on negatives aren't necessarily the target market for the lower end MacBooks. There are many people out there who are in the market for the MacBook who don't care about an aluminum enclosure, who don't have a need for non-integrated graphic processing, and who still in this day don't miss not having a DVD burner who will still be over the moon with their MacBook purchase. (though SuperDrives across the board would be great, especially if these entry level folks decide in a year or two that they want one)

Wish this update were more spectacular, but gotta keep one foot on the ground while reaching for the stars. (Okay, you may now stone me for paraphrasing Casey Kasem. :)

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 07:43 AM
Couldn't help but highlight this near-oxymoron. And I don't mean you're a moron.

lol there are facts in there, more so than what you could run into here. Newsweek Magazine? TIME Magazine? College Textbook?

franky4fingers
Nov 1, 2007, 07:44 AM
this whole update seems to me like someone pushed the button a bit too early... I mean why is only the US Store up2date and still a little ..cked up? Couldn't it be that the specs that are currently shown aren't complete? I mean maybe the macbook has LED now but they just didn't manage to fully update the page yet?! smells funny

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 07:45 AM
web, email, word processing...that's pretty much all the macbook is designed to handle.

I do photoshop on mine. It's fine...

Using Exposť with the ACD can be a bit juddery, but apart from that, I can use photoshop, Aperture, surf the net, use data analysis tools and watch porn. It does a lot more than you give it credit to do...

blisters
Nov 1, 2007, 07:48 AM
I do photoshop on mine. It's fine...

Using Exposť with the ACD can be a bit juddery, but apart from that, I can use photoshop, Aperture, surf the net, use data analysis tools and watch porn. It does a lot more than you give it credit to do...

big deal. i can do photoshop on a 5 year old pc/apple laptop.

nyprospect
Nov 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
Apple has created a buzz over a speed bump.Thats exactly what they want.Either you buy it or you dont.It is still an upgrade.I vistied the apple site 35 times this past hour.Yep they got me.

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 07:50 AM
lol there are facts in there, more so than what you could run into here. Newsweek Magazine? TIME Magazine? College Textbook?

Goof (http://www.jointhemediacircus.co.uk/mediacircus/2007/10/the-times-makes.html)

"Surprisingly, at 72, he composed with Cathy Dennis the hit Reach which made No2 in the British charts for teen-pop group S Club 7 in the summer of 2000"

I know what you're saying and he sounded like a loser.

Back to MacBooks... I think the design is too new to go Aluminium and they'll keep the MBP for ages more...

big deal. i can do photoshop on a 5 year old pc/apple laptop.

Erm...?? I was responding to someone that made out the MacBook is only good for email, surfing and itunes... What's your problem?

Apple has created a buzz over a speed bump.Thats exactly what they want.Either you buy it or you dont.It is still an upgrade.I vistied the apple site 35 times this past hour.Yep they got me.

They're unlikely to care unless you bought 35 MacBooks during all that repeated surfing :)

Cloudane
Nov 1, 2007, 07:51 AM
The difference in manufacturing costs for CD and DVD technology are so ridiculously small that I don't see why they still do combo drives either.

scan.co.uk...

CD-RW: £8.80
DVD-RW: £15.26

They don't even sell combo drives any more, but they'd probably sit somewhere around £12. That's £3.26 more for DVD writing capability. Nothing like skimping on £3.26 and then kicking yourself for it when you finally do need to write a DVD one day! Besides, since when are Apple buyers the sort to enjoy corner-cutting for the sake of a few pennies?

Of course, we're not considering Apple's extortionate markup, where the difference between a combo drive and a "Superdrive" (when it was a single option on some Macs) is somewhere in the region of £70!! And no it's not some magic version of a DVD drive, it's just Apple ripping people off like they do with the RAM, hard drives and graphics cards so that by the time you're done making it a decent machine you think "hmm for another £200 I could buy a Mac Pro"

^squirrel^
Nov 1, 2007, 07:54 AM
Internal GMA..... what a joke!

I really cant understand why Apple sign deals with EA and other gaming companies and then release a Macbook with an Internal Graphics option. Dell offer almost the same spec machine with the option of the GMA X3100 or 8600 dedicated nvidia card!

Basically Apple have lost of again on the mid range laptop market, which is the biggest growing market in the computer range!

Sorry to sound like a moaning old hag, but IMO this is the most ridiculous update Apple have done in a long time!

Hattig
Nov 1, 2007, 07:54 AM
And my opinion? Not much more could have been expected for the MacBook. The Combo drive at the low-end is rather embarrassing in this day and age and is clearly there to push people up to the next level rather than actually make the device appealing (the cost differential is minute, I think they would have been better to have a slower CPU with Superdrive).

We all know that as an overall product the MacBook is worth the price even if the specs alone aren't so hot compared to PCs (that fall apart, and having to use a Windows XP machine at work, really, is it worth all that frustration to save a couple of hundred quid? Never mind the Mac hopefully lasting longer...). I would love to see a MacBook-level machine with discrete graphics of course, but Apple does like to clearly separate their products.

blisters
Nov 1, 2007, 07:55 AM
Erm...?? I was responding to someone that made out the MacBook is only good for email, surfing and itunes... What's your problem?

That someone would be me.

marantz
Nov 1, 2007, 07:55 AM
does anyone know when will the update happen in the uk?

cause i just been to the mac store and there is no sign ( also on the uk website)

dying to get my macbook...

Squonk
Nov 1, 2007, 07:57 AM
I think this is a great refresh update! A chassis change (alum) will not happen during a silent update - look for that 2nd quarter of next year. SR platform was certainly expected eventually.

This puts the MB right on the heels of the MBP. I'm looking forward to what is in store for the MBP at MWSF! :D:apple:

nyprospect
Nov 1, 2007, 07:57 AM
Goof (http://www.jointhemediacircus.co.uk/mediacircus/2007/10/the-times-makes.html)

I know what you're saying and he sounded like a loser.

Back to MacBooks... I think the design is too new to go Aluminium and they'll keep the MBP for ages more...

They're unlikely to care unless you bought 35 MacBooks during all that repeated surfing :)
Apple should care that anyone would pay a grand on their products.Unless prefer to be dell.

ck2
Nov 1, 2007, 07:58 AM
does anyone know when will the update happen in the uk?

cause i just been to the mac store and there is no sign ( also on the uk website)

dying to get my macbook...

read post #180

The Truth
Nov 1, 2007, 07:59 AM
Did the prices change at all? I'm in Australia, even if the US price doesn't change I'm hoping ours will due to exchange rates.

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 08:00 AM
That someone would be me.

Why are you saying the MacBook is worse than a 5 year old Mac/PC then? If you can do photoshop on those, then you can on a MacBook... I don't get what you're going on about really.

blisters
Nov 1, 2007, 08:01 AM
We all know that as an overall product the MacBook is worth the price even if the specs alone aren't so hot compared to PCs (that fall apart, and having to use a Windows XP machine at work, really, is it worth all that frustration to save a couple of hundred quid? Never mind the Mac hopefully lasting longer...). I would love to see a MacBook-level machine with discrete graphics of course, but Apple does like to clearly separate their products.

Well yes, yes it is.

I don't like having pay to pay a premium for dated hardware just because it has an apple logo on it. That's called getting "ripped off"

whirlpool
Nov 1, 2007, 08:02 AM
Did the prices change at all? I'm in Australia, even if the US price doesn't change I'm hoping ours will due to exchange rates.

I certainly hope so... seeing as AUD is worth 0.93 USD I don't see why we should still be paying the same price as we have been, with our dollar being treated as if it's only worth 0.65USD...

Orng
Nov 1, 2007, 08:02 AM
Wasn't expecting a Thursday update! This is what most were expecting - S.R - an OK update.

The Canadian pricing is disappointing.

No kidding! Canadian pricing needs to get in line with the exchange rate, pronto!

Ironic that iTunes put an end to my music piracy, but the current price of Macbooks is going to turn me into a smuggler.

Although for what it's worth, I hear the Canadian price for dotMac has dropped $30 :)

marantz
Nov 1, 2007, 08:05 AM
cheers ck , i missed that post...

i told one of the staff that im waiting for the update and she looked at me

as if she didnt know what im talking about , she replied : update?????????

darthraige
Nov 1, 2007, 08:06 AM
Wow. What a speed bump that is. lol

blisters
Nov 1, 2007, 08:07 AM
Why are you saying the MacBook is worse than a 5 year old Mac/PC then? If you can do photoshop on those, then you can on a MacBook... I don't get what you're going on about really.

what i'm saying is the macbook is nothing special. an entry level laptop that's incredibly overpriced compared to the rest of the market.

Cloudane
Nov 1, 2007, 08:09 AM
The Combo drive at the low-end is rather embarrassing in this day and age and is clearly there to push people up to the next level

Forgive the rants, but this is the crux of what I dislike about Apple.

Don't get me wrong, in general I love their stuff and their innovation is second to none.

But they always insist on artificial differentiation (I think that's the term). Cripple the low end to force you to go higher, even though it'd cost nothing (or pennies, or in some cases LESS) to leave it uncrippled.

Recent examples:
iPod Touch - artificially crippled to give people more reasons to buy an iPhone. By this I mean removal of notes, read-only calendar etc.
iMac range - no choice but glossy screens, to force graphic designers / photographers / etc onto Mac Pros.
iMac 20" - bargain basement LCD, possibly the worst TN in history, to force people onto the 24"
... and of course the usual crippled internals such as combo drives which are just unnecessary and save them pennies at best.

If only they'd cut out the artificial differentiation and just do things naturally.

koobcamuk
Nov 1, 2007, 08:09 AM
what i'm saying is the macbook is nothing special. an entry level laptop that's incredibly overpriced compared to the rest of the market.

You in the US or UK? If it's overpriced for the USA, it's about twice as overpriced here. I can get a 'decent' laptop here for £300 ($600). It'll have more things that the MacBook, but won't look as nice or run OSX. It's the running of OSX that glues me to Mac hardware.

I still want one of those teeny-weeny ASUS notebooks. Ultraportable from Apple? Not happening any time soon :(

Surely
Nov 1, 2007, 08:11 AM
As of right now, it looks like Apple hasn't changed their pricing in the Canada Store to reflect the strong Canadian Dollar. I call B.S. on that one.

Here is what I mean:

U.S. Store Prices for the three new MacBooks:
US Prices............ In Canadian Dollars after conversion:
$1099 USD............ $1039.22 CAD
$1299 USD............ $1228.34 CAD
$1499 USD............ $1417.46 CAD

Canadian Store Prices:
$1249
$1449
$1649

And let's not forget sales tax- in Canada, we're talking 14% tax on top of those high Canadian prices. If I take a quick drive down to Buffalo, NY, I can pay the U.S. price and only approximately 8% sales tax. Even if I have to declare the MacBook at the border, the duty fees I would have to pay would not come close to the more than $200 difference (over $320 difference including taxes). Oh, the cost of gas would only be around $50-60 to drive there and back, so it's still a big savings.

When Leopard was released, Apple priced it competitively in Canada to the US price, at $129 CAD. I expected them to do the same with the MacBook, considering our dollar is stronger than the U.S. and is still going up. I think that they've dropped the ball here. The price differences between products in Canada vs. the U.S. is a big story right now in Canada, and it's only a matter of time before this story appears on the news.

Guess where I'll be driving in the next couple of weeks? At least I'll be able to eat at The Cheesecake Factory.....

bobber205
Nov 1, 2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah, same for me on the UK store. How much better is the x3100 than GMA950 anyway? I heared there was quite a difference.

My PC motherboard has the x3000 and there's a huge difference.

HowEver
Nov 1, 2007, 08:14 AM

Have you ever heard of Canada?

Apple sells a lot of MacBooks here, but apparently has no idea that the dollar is worth 106 of your pennies today.

Go figure.

Adamo
Nov 1, 2007, 08:16 AM
Ironic that iTunes put an end to my music piracy, but the current price of Macbooks is going to turn me into a smuggler.

How the HECK did iTunes stop your piracy? Paying for music in poor quality, compared to getting it much earlier and not paying in a high quality.. there's no comparison, iTunes is balls for buying music.
Then you're clearly clueless. Find me a laptop of the same specification for the same price or cheaper. That's X3100, Santa Rosa 2.2Ghz, 120-160GB HDD, slot-loading DVD drive, remote, a sleek design to encompass it all, plus iLife and OSX of course (but can't really put that on a Windows laptop, it's extra for music and video editing software that's as good as iLife).

Thomas2006
Nov 1, 2007, 08:17 AM
I really didn't expect them to release a crazy new macbook before Macworld... I think now they can do a whole new design for Macworld.... Lets see what happens
I doubt we will see a whole new design at MacWorld because that would anger a great many people. I know I would be upset if I bought a new MacBook now and then saw a new design two months later. I don't think we will see a new design until the MacBook moves to the Montevina platform using the "Cantiga" chipset.

beg_ne
Nov 1, 2007, 08:17 AM
THIS is what I was holding off buying Leopard for? I was hoping to get a decent update with new LED screens and potentially slimmer and aluminum casing so both me and my SO could get new Macs. It's really disappointing since i've been waiting forever for Leopard to come out to get her her first Mac . Just can't help feeling that this upgrade is kind of second rate...

jholzner
Nov 1, 2007, 08:18 AM
no they didn't. it's still integrated. gamers should stay away from the macbook. it's not really meant for that sort of thing.

Yep...oh and iMovie and iPhoto and iDVD and Logic Express and Photoshop and a crap load of other programs. Just not high end 3D games. But it's certainly not just good for email and word processing.

Consultant
Nov 1, 2007, 08:19 AM

1. wintel laptop power supplies are bulkier and adds additional weight and require additional space. So the Mac Book has the same weight as 4.5 pound wintels, and may even take up less space due to the efficient cord management.

2. There are no region-free optical drives for either macs or pcs. Region Free is possible, but you need to work to get it either on a Mac or Wintel.

3. Speculation, but it's obvious the Mac OS will improve over time.

serpico
Nov 1, 2007, 08:19 AM
Apple won't see my money until they adjust their pricing to reflect our dollar. That goes for any big purchases from any retailer. The government has warned retailers to adjust their pricing but it falls on deaf ears. If I need anything, I'll be taking a drive over the border. Good luck when the holiday shopping arrives. A few hundred in difference can go towards Applecare or extra ram.:confused:

jackc
Nov 1, 2007, 08:22 AM
Apple won't see my money until they adjust their pricing to reflect our dollar. That goes for any big purchases from any retailer. The government has warned retailers to adjust their pricing but it falls on deaf ears. If I need anything, I'll be taking a drive over the border. Good luck when the holiday shopping arrives. A few hundred in difference can go towards Applecare or extra ram.:confused:

****** the government!

timmillwood
Nov 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
As i type I have open safari, mail, iTunes, dreamweaver, photoshop, bittorren, ftp and skype.

This is on a 2.33ghz C2D with 2gb Ram Macbook Pro 17", i want somthing smaller but dont know if the Macbook will handle it.

What do you think? is 15" smallest I will get?

Anorion
Nov 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
Buy now? (y/n)

Ilovemygeek
Nov 1, 2007, 08:24 AM
Sniff, man that hurts. My Macbook Pro 160G 7200rpm hasn't even arrived yet and they now have the 200G 7200rpm for the same price. I wouldn't be so mad except my second MBP had yellow screen issues, the first shipped with the wrong hadrive 200G 4200rpm and now this. :( sucks to be me

EagerDragon
Nov 1, 2007, 08:26 AM
After all these hours the web site is still a mix match of information.

I really hope there is a better update in Jan, this is nice in the mean time.

The Truth
Nov 1, 2007, 08:27 AM
So the US and UK prices DID stay the same then?

And what's everyone complaining about lack of LED for? The LCD looks better (it's just worse for the environment).

Macmanus
1. wintel laptop power supplies are bulkier and adds additional weight and require additional space. So the Mac Book has the same weight as 4.5 pound wintels, and may even take up less space due to the efficient cord management.

2. There are no region-free optical drives for either macs or pcs. Region Free is possible, but you need to work to get it either on a Mac or Wintel.

3. Speculation, but it's obvious the Mac OS will improve over time.

I beg to differ, especially on point 2. Looks like you don't have a Pc and/or different zone DVDs. On a PC you have a lot of software that actually works to read them (anydvd for example). On a Mac, it's really difficult, VLC doesn't work anymore, you have to flash your drive. To lighten you up, go check this out : http://lowendmac.com/fishkin/af07/0907.html

From your answers to point 1 and 3, looks like you're working for an apple retailer. A Macbook is heavier, hands down, than a PC laptop of a same price. And the new Macbook that will see the day in January will be a REAL upgrade, not a "silent" update like this one.

So again, if you can wait 3 months, save your money, you'll be rewarded.

koobcamuk
As i type I have open safari, mail, iTunes, dreamweaver, photoshop, bittorren, ftp and skype.

This is on a 2.33ghz C2D with 2gb Ram Macbook Pro 17", i want somthing smaller but dont know if the Macbook will handle it.

What do you think? is 15" smallest I will get?

My MacBook can handle that.

JSchwage
Of course, they update it right before I want to buy a refurb. Now I have to wait for the updated Macbook to show up in the refurb section. :(

EagerDragon
Nov 1, 2007, 08:28 AM
Sniff, man that hurts. My Macbook Pro 160G 7200rpm hasn't even arrived yet and they now have the 200G 7200rpm for the same price. I wouldn't be so mad except my second MBP had yellow screen issues, the first shipped with the wrong hadrive 200G 4200rpm and now this. :( sucks to be me

Call them and find out if they will upgrade you specially with the trouble you had.

jackc
Nov 1, 2007, 08:28 AM
Are quiet updates always this quiet? Unless you're a Mac geek, you wouldn't even know from looking at the web site.

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 08:30 AM
Of course, they update it right before I want to buy a refurb. Now I have to wait for the updated Macbook to show up in the refurb section. :(

you might be waiting awhile...

Are quiet updates always this quiet? Unless you're a Mac geek, you wouldn't even know from looking at the web site.

no they aren't usually this quiet. i wonder if that means anything?

tripwire
Nov 1, 2007, 08:32 AM
Guess where I'll be driving in the next couple of weeks? At least I'll be able to eat at The Cheesecake Factory.....

That's the right thing to do.
Apple (and rightly so!) doesn't care whether their customers 'feel' like they're being ripped off.
They just look at salesfigures.
If sales are up in a market, there's no incentive for them to lower their prices to bring them more in line with the prices in the US.

Stella
Nov 1, 2007, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by serpico
Apple won't see my money until they adjust their pricing to reflect our dollar. That goes for any big purchases from any retailer. The government has warned retailers to adjust their pricing but it falls on deaf ears. If I need anything, I'll be taking a drive over the border. Good luck when the holiday shopping arrives. A few hundred in difference can go towards Applecare or extra ram.

****** the government!

More retailers are adjusting their prices:
http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/272499

Shame certain other stores aren't!

I don't expect $CA prices to been on par with US prices for Apple computers due to import taxes ( if they are any, due to NAFTA ), however, its obviously Apple aren't taking into account the parity of the $CA.

If companies think they can get away with stuff like this - inflating prices - they will. For example, car prices in the UK compared to mainland Europe, high drug prices in the US etc etc.

Farani
Nov 1, 2007, 08:39 AM
Ok someone help me! Which model do I need. I'm hitting the Apple store ASAP! DO I drop another $400 for black and another 200MHz? I will never burn DVDs and I don't need a big hard drive for my laptop so the base would work also.

Mackan
Nov 1, 2007, 08:39 AM
Congratulations, you are a finalist for the "whiniest comment ever" award. Here's hoping you get it!

Apple allows you to upgrade your computer for what they deem to be an acceptable price. They also offer a way to make the computers cheaper if you don't need 256mb vram, or a superdrive.

And you just made it to the finale of finding the most blind Apple fanboy. How about I want the lowest MacBook model, but with a superdrive? I don't need a faster cpu, bigger harddrive or whatever. But I am forced to pay for that, just to get a superdrive, which should by now be there as standard.

dcorban
Nov 1, 2007, 08:41 AM
I placed my order for the mid-range macbook within 15 minutes of waking up and reading this news.

I have been waiting for almost a year for the Leopard + fresh MacBook combo. Estimated delivery date is Nov 12.

Finally I can dump Windows!

I was also mildly disappointed about the CAD -> USD conversion rate, or should I say lack of conversion. I am using a 2% Canadian rebate and want the MacBook ASAP, so I am not that concerned at the moment.

Farani
Nov 1, 2007, 08:41 AM
I think this is a great refresh update! A chassis change (alum) will not happen during a silent update - look for that 2nd quarter of next year. SR platform was certainly expected eventually.

This puts the MB right on the heels of the MBP. I'm looking forward to what is in store for the MBP at MWSF! :D:apple:

At least someone isn't disappointed. I just woke up and is the consensus here disappointment (which isn't surprising).

Everyone kept imagining aluminum and all this crazy crap and they subconsciously were expecting it even though they consciously knew it wasn't going to happen. I can't bitch AT ALL! I'm getting my macbook before Nov 6th woooo!

macintel4me
Nov 1, 2007, 08:42 AM
Compared to the upper end White MacBook, Dell is $100 less expensive. I surprised (somewhat) that Apple isn't more price competitive. The Dell also has a 14" screen versus Apple's 13.3".

EDIT: I forgot about the $40 802.11n wireless card. That makes the difference at $100.

timmillwood
Nov 1, 2007, 08:43 AM
My MacBook can handle that.

Good maybe I will get one.<p>

I want a similar setup to you, a little macbook that is portable enough to take everywhere, an ACD to use when at home.

Also an unlocked iPhone to use on Orange UK

Eidorian
Nov 1, 2007, 08:45 AM
Compared to the upper end White MacBook, Dell is $140 less expensive. I surprised (somewhat) that Apple isn't more price competitive. The Dell also has a 14" screen versus Apple's 13.3".Compare it against the Dell XPS M1330 with the GMA X3100 and you'll see that the MacBook isn't that bad.

You can get XP on it much more easily with Apple's drivers too! :D

2.2 GHz model at $1199 education you tempt me so.

Any comments Zadillo?

Foxglove9
Nov 1, 2007, 08:45 AM
Wah, my 2 month old MacBook is now outdated. Bummer, I really wish I could have 4 megs in my macbook and a faster video board to run Leopard. But I wasn't able to wait. Oh well, the wonderful world of computers.

At least Apple updates their machines now, unlike the old PPC days. And a pretty nice upgrade as predicted too.

foidulus
Nov 1, 2007, 08:47 AM
Compared to the upper end White MacBook, Dell is $140 less expensive. I surprised (somewhat) that Apple isn't more price competitive. The Dell also has a 14" screen versus Apple's 13.3".

The Dell also doesn't have n wireless and doesn't state what resolution the screen is it. Also, being 14" probably makes it LESS desirable as it is bigger to lug around. Furthermore, Dell doesn't state the weight. I briefly considered PC laptops, but it's hard to find one that isn't a cow....

You also forgot to include the bluetooth, and if you include the 802.11n and the bluetooth, you are looking at less than $100 difference. Not to mention that if you want the "ultimate" version of windows, the Dell is MORE expensive. You get the ultimate version of Leopard with the macbook :)

That being said, how long does it usually take for the laptops to get out to resellers? Because of my situation(long story) I pretty much have to order from a reseller.

JSpence
Nov 1, 2007, 08:47 AM
Compare it against the Dell XPS M1330 with the GMA X3100 and you'll see that the MacBook isn't that bad.

You can get XP on it much more easily with Apple's drivers too! :D

2.2 GHz model at $1199 education you tempt me so.

Any comments Zadillo?

I'm no Zadillo, but I was tempted. And I gave in. I also have an edu discount. I'm really pleased with the update as well. I think it's a quiet fresh update that will get it through the holidays

Consultant
Nov 1, 2007, 08:49 AM
For those outside of US and compare your prices to the US prices.

There is a price difference not because Apple likes to do it that way, it's because of higher import taxes from your government. Apple is based OUTSIDE your country, thus will pay a higher import tax than companies based IN your country.

(Sidetrack: you have to consider that citizens of most countries DO get better services than those in the USA, such as inexpensive universal health care. In addition, be thankful you don't have a president who is not very bright, but I digress).

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 1, 2007, 08:49 AM
At least someone isn't disappointed. I just woke up and is the consensus here disappointment (which isn't surprising).

Everyone kept imagining aluminum and all this crazy crap and they subconsciously were expecting it even though they consciously knew it wasn't going to happen. I can't bitch AT ALL! I'm getting my macbook before Nov 6th woooo!

I'm disappointed. The MacBooks now on the heels of my four month old MacBook Pro. At least I've got my 15" screen to keep me comforted.

zioxide
Nov 1, 2007, 08:50 AM
Why couldn't Apple have added the 250GB BTO 2 months ago. Stupid. Now I'm stuck with a 120GB drive and I can't upgrade without voiding the warranty.

Eidorian
Nov 1, 2007, 08:50 AM
I'm no Zadillo, but I was tempted. And I gave in. I also have an edu discount. I'm really pleased with the update as well. I think it's a quiet fresh update that will get it through the holidaysYeah a MacBook to please my beloved's desire for a laptop and mine for a gaming rig.

Cheaper and more portable then a Mac Pro and I get an iSight.

gomakeitreal
Nov 1, 2007, 08:51 AM
it is always mind-boggling to me that some people want apple's design but do not want to pay extra for the design, and evaluate a laptop only by its parts. it is kinda like demanding designer brand clothes to the same price as some generic brand because they use the same material! :confused:

hagjohn
Nov 1, 2007, 08:52 AM
Looks great, except for the combo drive... who wants that anymore.

I really do not need it though... My macbook is fine for what I use it for.

RSharma
Nov 1, 2007, 08:53 AM
hi, first of im new here, i'm a windows user (sadly!!!)
i would love to buy a macbook one day, it's just that apple's own hand is in the way. why would you have such a great company (and undiscussable good products) as apple, and NOT be able to let your CUSTOMERS decide on what comp specs they want to have for their own mac.

or atleast 3,4,5 options to choose from. maybe a petition would be right here !!!! i say go for a petition and let apple see the results of what customers would like to see in near fure, and im sure im not the only person on earth thinking this should be done !!!!!

and on another note, i HATE steve jobs ! :cool:

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah a MacBook to please my beloved's desire for a laptop and mine for a gaming rig.

glad to see that you finally joined us :)

so you think this new updated graphics is a nice update?

Digital Skunk
Nov 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
--YAWN--

(-_-) Zzzzzz Zzzzzz

Wake me up when there is a real update to the MacBook Pro, like a 2.8GHz standard on the 17" Model. This better not be the update that I have been waiting for. If it is then I will spending more time with my current model and waiting for a solid update in the Pro laptop line.

Surely
Nov 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
I don't expect $CA prices to been on par with US prices for Apple computers due to import taxes ( if they are any, due to NAFTA ), however, its obviously Apple aren't taking into account the parity of the $CA.

I agree with that, I don't necessarily expect the prices to be equal, but I think they should be a little closer than a $200-300 difference.

Even the upgrading that you can do is priced unfairly.
Upgrade to 4GB Memory:
US Store: $850 USD ($807 CAD)
Canadian Store: $935 CAD ($985 USD)

Wow. I'd sooner buy a MBP than pay that for extra memory.

EDIT: the big price differences are NOT due to import duties. They are based on the old exchange rate when the Canadian Dollar was weaker than the US Dollar. Import duties would not be $200-300 on a $1200 product. Apple is pricing this way because they CAN and really enjoy the extra revenue. It's good for the bottom line.

Consultant
Nov 1, 2007, 08:56 AM
Compared to the upper end White MacBook, Dell is $140 less expensive. I surprised (somewhat) that Apple isn't more price competitive. The Dell also has a 14" screen versus Apple's 13.3".

Except the battery on the dell only lasts 50% of the duration of the MacBook (they try to sell you a battery with capacity comparable to the MacBook for more $$$), and the Dell is heavier, has LOUD fans, frequently does not go to sleep / hibernate when the lid is closed.

Le Big Mac
Nov 1, 2007, 08:58 AM

It's all marketing/pricing strategy. They want a machine they can price at $1099 to draw people in to the idea. But at that price, for "just $200" look at all the upgrades: faster processor, superdrive, bigger HD, etc. But if they put those features in the lowest model, a bunch of people would be scared off by the minimum price of $1299.

jockmock
Nov 1, 2007, 08:58 AM
As of right now, it looks like Apple hasn't changed their pricing in the Canada Store to reflect the strong Canadian Dollar. I call B.S. on that one.

Here is what I mean:

U.S. Store Prices for the three new MacBooks:
US Prices............ In Canadian Dollars after conversion:
$1099 USD............ $1039.22 CAD
$1299 USD............ $1228.34 CAD
$1499 USD............ $1417.46 CAD

Canadian Store Prices:
$1249
$1449
$1649

And let's not forget sales tax- in Canada, we're talking 14% tax on top of those high Canadian prices. If I take a quick drive down to Buffalo, NY, I can pay the U.S. price and only approximately 8% sales tax. Even if I have to declare the MacBook at the border, the duty fees I would have to pay would not come close to the more than $200 difference (over $320 difference including taxes). Oh, the cost of gas would only be around $50-60 to drive there and back, so it's still a big savings.

When Leopard was released, Apple priced it competitively in Canada to the US price, at $129 CAD. I expected them to do the same with the MacBook, considering our dollar is stronger than the U.S. and is still going up. I think that they've dropped the ball here. The price differences between products in Canada vs. the U.S. is a big story right now in Canada, and it's only a matter of time before this story appears on the news.

Dude, you shouldn't be complaining. look at the european prices.. Here is the prices from the swedish store:

2.0ghz: 9.995kr = $1557
2.16ghz 11.995kr = $1869
2.16ghz 13.995 = $2180

So our cheapest model is more expensive than the blackbook

deathshrub
Nov 1, 2007, 08:59 AM
Where are the Mac Pros :mad:

caseys
Hi,

I'm based in the UK and can anyone confirm if the 2.2Ghz 15 MBP is changing in any way? The UK site nor my employee purchase program apple site (we have a deal with apple) show updates for either the MB or MBP.

I ordered a new one two days ago with optional 160Gb HD with a quote of 3 days shipping (which would be the 2nd November). I now have my order with shipping date of the 5th, delivery by the 14th-15th. It's tempting to go for the 200Gb 5200rpm if it's not too much extra.

I am wondering if there's any update to the model I'm getting and that's pushing out delivery. I bought under an apple employee purchase program scheme, so got a good discount but wondering what's happening and if I should cancel my order and wait a week to see if the specs improve?

Cheers
Si

Eidorian
glad to see that you finally joined us :)

so you think this new updated graphics is a nice update?The GMA X3100 is fine for my Sims 2 addiction in OS X. :p

I build a nice little Windows mini-tower for my Windows games. $500 looks good right now.

Farani
Nov 1, 2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah a MacBook to please my beloved's desire for a laptop and mine for a gaming rig.

I'm picking up the mid-range model with my education discount any minute here lol

Consultant
Nov 1, 2007, 09:01 AM
Why couldn't Apple have added the 250GB BTO 2 months ago. Stupid. Now I'm stuck with a 120GB drive and I can't upgrade without voiding the warranty.

If you have MacBook, you can do it yourself.

If you have MBP, you can have the drive upgraded by apple certified technicians without voiding warranty.

If you are in nova, I know apple certified technicians.

twomiracles
How does the educational discount typically compare to the reduced price for the older models? Does anyone know? Just wondering if it's worth a trip to CompUSA to see if I can get a midlevel one with the old specs at a great price (I really think it will meet my needs).

Surely
Dude, you shouldn't be complaining. look at the european prices.. Here is the prices from the swedish store:

2.16ghz 11.995kr = $1869
2.16ghz 13.995 = $2180

Dude, I should be complaining (especially since the closest US Apple Store is a 90 minute drive from Toronto). You should just be complaining WAY more.

berkleeboy210
Nov 1, 2007, 09:02 AM
ughhhhhhhhhh I ordered the of the "old" one's Tuesday Night. - is it worth sending it back for a "new" one. And if it's a stock model, Could I bring to the store with a packing slip for an even exchange?

RSharma

2.16ghz 11.995kr = $1869
2.16ghz 13.995 = $2180

WHOA !!!!!!!!! :eek:

that's a shame !!!! what i said in my previous post, apple is in its own way !!!!!!

it's like you could have a nice baked apple pie but they're giving you unpealed apples telling you that this is the only way to go ! same with the hardware specs !!!!

Farani
How does the educational discount typically compare to the reduced price for the older models? Does anyone know? Just wondering if it's worth a trip to CompUSA to see if I can get a midlevel one with the old specs at a great price (I really think it will meet my needs).

Education discount knocks $100 off the price of all 3 MB models.

I was comparing edu to older refurbished MB's like a week ago and edu was still cheaper.