PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3/266 - PCI card info

emeraldstone
Sep 11, 2003, 01:15 PM
I need to buy a video card for my G3. It needs to support OpenGL for games.
I've read some reviews about the Raedon 7000, but some say it won't work with my Beige G3, others say the problem has been sorted. I want to double check before I waste my money and time.

I'm using MacOS 10.2.3
Beige Desktop G3/266

I know it's crap!:-(

Santiago
Sep 11, 2003, 01:55 PM
Frankly, you're not going to be playing any game released in the last two or three years on that thing. No matter what video card you stick in there, your processor speed and memory bandwidth will remain serious bottlenecks.

mymemory
Sep 11, 2003, 02:52 PM
The problem may be the system bus, now I may be saying just crap but...

I had a Miro MOtion DC 30 plus card with and old Power Mac 9600/200 and then on a G3 just like yours. The card was like crap and worked when ever it feels like it, but later on the road I sold booth computers and I got a G4 400 and the card was working just as it should.

I know it is not the same kind of performance. Right now I have my two Pismos G3 500 and I'm playing some games too but they can hardly run with 8MB of VRam. They run but is not that waoooo!

You may spend too much money for some performance, I would sugest you to get any used powermc with 16MB of VRAM, they may be around $500 may be.

MacsRgr8
Sep 11, 2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I agree.
Instead of investing in a "slight" performance increase, I would save a little more and try to get a Blue & White G3, or even a used G4.
BTW, the Radeon 7000 PCI card does work on my G3 266 (AV). The games which are older than 3 years (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake Arena...) run pretty well on it.

applemacdude
Sep 12, 2003, 12:18 PM
Also get the radeon m,ac edition instead of the 7000 its much better