Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Hi, I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem, and what they did to get their good 'ol TiBook running again.

Over the past few months I've been using my TiBook and hooking it up to the power adapter without a battery pack installed (to save my old battery from cycling too much). Everything was working fine in that situation and my only complaint was that the time would reset to default every once and awhile. I figured this was the BIOS battery but didn't bother to replace it as it was a minor annoyance.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when try to start it up again (again with the power adapter plugged in with no battery) and I get no response from pushing the power button (i.e. no lights, no fan noise, not even a beep).

To see if I could fix the problem myself I've tried:
  • Starting it with one of my batteries, albeit with a weak charge. :eek:
  • Trying my Dad's power adapter, which I know works with his TiBook.
  • Resetting the PMU at the back, as the Apple support page suggests.
None of the above made any difference. :( I should also note that I left my Dad's power adapter hooked up to my TiBook to see if it would charge my battery and it didn't seem to have any effect.

If you have an idea what's going on please let me know. It seems strange to me that it was in perfect running condition before and now it seems to be bricked!

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Problem Solved

After a lot of searching through forums I finally found the answer!

Apparently when the backup battery dies Tibooks may not start up even when plugged into their adapters. The good news here is if you remove the main battery and leave Tibook plugged in via the AC adapter for 48 hours, it should recharge the backup battery. After resetting the PMU then try to boot up the computer. If it works, you can put the main battery back in and leave it overnight to charge.

I gave this a shot with my Tibook and mine finally started up this evening! I'm so glad to have this working again! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.