PDA

View Full Version : Time's Invention of the Year: iPhone

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Time magazine has named (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1678581,00.html) the iPhone the Invention of the Year.

The reasoning behind the high honor is broken down into five different reasons:

1. The iPhone is pretty
2. It's touchy-feely
3. It will make other phones better
4. It's not a phone, it's a platform
5. It is but the ghost of iPhones yet to come

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/11/01/times-invention-of-the-year-iphone/)

shecky
Nov 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
how totally unpredictable and surprising!

oh... wait... nevermind. :)

eenu
Nov 1, 2007, 02:40 PM
link to here from the front page doesn't work

atari1356
Nov 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
4. It's not a phone, it's a platform
5. It is but the ghost of iPhones yet to come

I find it a bit odd that two of the reasons it is the best invention for THIS year is for what it will become NEXT year. :p

cheese1113
Nov 1, 2007, 02:50 PM
It's a platform
...only if you jailbreak it

mainstreetmark
Nov 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure if Time giving awards like this is all that prestigious. After all, I was Time's man of the year recently, and I'm a piece of crap.

Besides, the year isn't over yet. There's still an entire sixth to go.

atari1356
Nov 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure if Time giving awards like this is all that prestigious. After all, I was Time's man of the year recently, and I'm a piece of crap.

Besides, the year isn't over yet. There's still an entire sixth to go.

True. Google might have something nifty up their sleeves.

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 02:56 PM
With 32GB and a good SDK, it would be the invention of the century so far...right now, its a great possibility waiting to happen...

zombitronic
Nov 1, 2007, 03:02 PM
I find it a bit odd that two of the reasons it is the best invention for THIS year is for what it will become NEXT year. :p

The flames of revolution begin with a spark.

pacohaas
Nov 1, 2007, 03:13 PM

No way, it's a totally revolutionary way of application development...webapps!

tgildred
Nov 1, 2007, 03:57 PM

But so was I, and I'm awesome.

savar
Nov 1, 2007, 04:22 PM
With 32GB and a good SDK, it would be the invention of the century so far...right now, its a great possibility waiting to happen...

If it had 32GB at the same price point...that would be unreal. It's already cheaper than any blackberry and even the motorola Q (which is a piece of crap).

Of course it also needs some kind of exchange server adapter so that folks can get their outlook email and calendar. At that point the iphone steamrolls all other phones out there.

Mr. Zorg
Nov 1, 2007, 05:05 PM
Or wait until February when the SDK will be out. Sheesh...

Telp
Nov 1, 2007, 05:43 PM

Thats what i keep telling everyone. Everyone says i should just jailbreak it, but i refuse to until FEBRUARY.

megfilmworks
Nov 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
Nothing anyone who owns the iPhone doesn't already know:
Groundbreaking, a new paradigm, and just a whisper of things to come.
You simply can not compare the iPhone to anything else, it stands alone and leads the way.

Darkroom
Nov 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
Nothing anyone who owns the iPhone doesn't already know:
Groundbreaking, a new paradigm, and just a whisper of things to come.
You simply can not compare the iPhone to anything else, it stands alone and leads the way.

i was nervous that this years man of the year would be our faces... glad the iPhone got it... however, i'm kinda disappointed that Nintendo Wii didn't grab the prize.

EDIT: wait, Wii came out last year! WHA?! youtube won this over wii? please... this "prize" is a total joke...

rph105
Nov 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
i got the ipod touch, and i know what the iphone can do, so yh i think it deserves it, again apple delivers

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
Invention of the year? It's only November. I guess they must know the rest of the year is going to be a drag. I guess Person of the Year will probably be Al Gore.

On a separate note, why isn't this front page?

boss1
Nov 1, 2007, 09:54 PM
I'm surprised by the lack of content in this Time magazine article. It's as if the writer had 5 good points to go on and quickly typed out 5 short paragraphs which are mildly thoughtful at best.

Anyway this is my favorite part of the article:

<begin painful kick in the @$@! to design engineer folks at other cellphone companies >

Most high-tech companies don't take design seriously. They treat it as an afterthought.

</end kick>

chicagostars
Nov 1, 2007, 10:09 PM

Jailbreak it and then cry and moan if Apple makes another update that doesn't jibe with your jailbreak efforts.

artjr
Nov 2, 2007, 12:34 AM
Thats what i keep telling everyone. Everyone says i should just jailbreak it, but i refuse to until FEBRUARY.
I agree. I wont jailbreak either. I rather till feb to see comes out.

yustynn
Nov 5, 2007, 03:24 AM
Next year's Time's Invention of the Year: iPhone 2G

MacQuest
Nov 10, 2007, 07:36 PM

:rolleyes:

No way, it's a totally revolutionary way of application development...webapps!

Exactly. ;)

boss1
Nov 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
Next year's Time's Invention of the Year: iPhone 2G

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Next year's Time Invention of the Year: "iPhone PDA" or "iMobile" or "Apple PDA" etc

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think its great to be holding what Time considers to be the invention of the year. And its only going to get better from here when more updates and the sdk arrive