PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Sweetens Office 2008 Upgrade Deal

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Microsoft has sweetened the deal (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/supersuitedeal/) for imminent Office for Mac buyers that don't want to be left behind come the January launch of Mac Office 2008.

From now on, a purchase of ANY version of Mac Office 2004 product (Student and Teacher, Standard, or Professional Edition) will be eligible for an upgrade to the top of the line Mac Office 2008 Special Media Edition for only the price of shipping and handling.

While Microsoft had previously had a technology guarantee in place after announcing the Office 2008 packages (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/25/microsoft-unveils-mac-office-2008-packages-pricing/), the update applied only to the comparable updated version (Standard Edition 2004 would be updated to Standard Edition 2008).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/microsoft-sweetens-office-2008-upgrade-deal/)

Lord Nerdos
Nov 1, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm looking forward to kissing another Rosetta app goodbye. But what's this different version? Why oh why do MS love so many versions. I have an aversion to their versions:p

hankolerd
Nov 1, 2007, 10:24 PM
hmm...interesting...:apple:

sellitman
Nov 1, 2007, 10:31 PM
Too late...I found Neo Office.

The price was right, it works great and it is up to date.

breal8406
Nov 1, 2007, 10:32 PM
Who cares! They were slow and now they're gonna miss out on my business because of it. Maybe they'll be able to sell me once iWork 08's gets old and I'm looking to upgrade productivity suites again.

swmooretiger
Nov 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
Why even use MS Office though? Since iWork '08 came out, I've only used MS apps at work where I'm forced to. Just seems to me like MS can't deliver a true competitor, so they have to sucker people in with deals.

Grimace
Nov 1, 2007, 10:41 PM
well, for those of us that have to use MS Office, this is actually a cool deal.

I can get the Student/Teacher version for very cheap right now ($39 through my university) and I'll only pay $7 to upgrade to the newer version that will no-doubt cost much more.

overanalyzer
Nov 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
This is not so unlike Microsoft's current academic deal to buy Office Ultimate for Windows, which retails for $679, for $59 (see http://www.microsoft.com/education/ultimatesteal.mspx). It seems like they'll do anything to increase the install base these days.

jackc
Nov 1, 2007, 11:15 PM
This is not so unlike Microsoft's current academic deal to buy Office Ultimate for Windows, which retails for $679, for $59 (see http://www.microsoft.com/education/ultimatesteal.mspx). It seems like they'll do anything to increase the install base these days.

Wow, that's a pretty good deal (if you must use it, that is)

overanalyzer
Nov 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
Wow, that's a pretty good deal (if you must use it, that is)

Which is probably exactly why it's so cheap. I use Office 2000 and Office 2003 on various computers, and the functionality differences are minimal for my use. And I'm not aware of anything new in Office 2007 that has made me want to run out and buy it.

At a certain point, it's really just ridiculous. Who on earth would pay almost $700 for Office these days? I just don't think of Office as being on par with other software suites in that price range for video editing or graphics, for instance. When you've got free open source options, Google developing free online office apps, and things like iLife for $79, where's the market? It seems like Microsoft realizes they should drop the retail price $500 but doesn't want to devalue the suite that much...so instead they find all these reasons to run insane 90%+ discounts.

SiriusExcelsior
Nov 1, 2007, 11:35 PM
Just wondering... how good is the Automator support in Office 2008 standard and special media editions? Is it worth getting it over Office 2008 student&teachers?

sboots
Nov 1, 2007, 11:35 PM
Too late...I found Neo Office.

The price was right, it works great and it is up to date.
Absolutely. For anyone who has to use Microsoft Office formats for their job or school, NeoOffice is totally the answer. It's slick, decent looking, and handles both-way Word and Excel conversion like a charm. I've set mine to automatically save in doc and excel format, with no issues to date. (Wait - once, images in a text document lost their border padding. That was the one issue I had over a year and a half now. Pretty serious, I know.)

And it's free. Try it out - you might like it!

(Disclaimer - I haven't used Microsoft Office on my own computer in 6 years. I'm sure it's a nice bunch of programs, though. Just not indispensable.)

dvince2
Nov 1, 2007, 11:54 PM
I'm looking forward to kissing another Rosetta app goodbye. But what's this different version? Why oh why do MS love so many versions. I have an aversion to their versions:p

Not that I'm complaining, but remember that Apple has put out a new version every year since 2004 (im counting 08 as 07, as it was released then)

But yeah... this is a good move. I hate having to buy something, knowing that a new version is just around the corner.

EDIT: Oh...now i see what you're talking about with versions. haha... yeah... not a big fan of that myself :)

katanna
Nov 2, 2007, 12:28 AM
I have to use PowerPoint for my job, and can't risk using NeoOffice.

I will see how much I can get it from my school (I just paid $69 for Leopard). I can't wait to use it at full speed! ARGH!

Matthew

CANEHDN
Nov 2, 2007, 01:47 AM
Now that I have iWork '08, I don't need Office. That makes me very happy.

balahir
Nov 2, 2007, 02:53 AM
Does anybody know if MS will offer an upgrade price from 2004 to 2008?

bigandy
Nov 2, 2007, 04:42 AM
ah yes, the usual great Microsoft promotions available in the US and Canada only.

not that i care.

rdowns
Nov 2, 2007, 04:50 AM
This is a sweet deal. While I own Office 2004, I can buy the student and teacher edition for under $125 and get Office 2008 for S&H. Even better since I have a bunch of Amazon gift certificates lying around.

AndyMulhearn
Nov 2, 2007, 05:25 AM
Now that I've got iWorks 8 I'm less than interested in this upgrade. Of course that may change if I run up against something I just can't do in iWorks.

Or alternatively I can just get the cheapest Office 2007 offer and run it in Parallels. Choices are good things to have.

twoodcc
Nov 2, 2007, 05:47 AM
nice deal indeed. but i think i'll pass on this one. i like iWork 08. it does the job for me

seclusion
Nov 2, 2007, 06:45 AM
Is there a setting in iWork to save stuff in .doc etc?
It seems everytime I save something someone emails back saying they can't open it.
Most everyone I communicate with are on windows machines.
Might try that neo office too.
I get weird stuff in Mail as well, sending info gets messed up.
A slight headache that I haven't really sorted out... Yet.
Later

OllyW
Nov 2, 2007, 07:28 AM
ah yes, the usual great Microsoft promotions available in the US and Canada only.

not that i care.

Not such a good offer as the US & Canada.

UK Upgrade (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=2327BD6C&nclm=office2006)

oldMac
Nov 2, 2007, 07:31 AM

Looks like the announced upgrade price is $239.95 for the "core" version which includes everything except for Expression Media.

Sources
---------------
http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/24/microsoft-announces-mac-office-2008-pricing-upgrade-details

Bern
Nov 2, 2007, 07:42 AM
Not that I use MS Office, but Australia misses out again it seems.

Detlev_73
Nov 2, 2007, 07:46 AM
Like it won't be available on torrent sites the day it's released. I have NO ethical issues in borrowing software from Micro$oft. :mad:

mudbug99
Nov 2, 2007, 08:17 AM
Are they nervous, have they been getting feedback from many beta testers that the new version sucks? I've seen it, and it does suck. Not as bad as the new windows office, but it has some very serious issues for those of us who value productivity above "features". After a few months now using the windows version (I have not had direct access to the mac version to try it for myself), I'm still fighting to find commands that used to be obvious, it still takes me seemingly forever to format a graph in excel the way I want it, it still is almost impossible (and takes forever) to format a powerpoint slide, I am still trying to figure out how to turn off all the MS "do it the way we want it" auto reformatting defaults, etc, etc. I suppose this ribbon idea made sense to someone, but I clearly don't know that person judging by the regular screams of frustration/demands of IT carnage I hear echoing up and down the halls. Not that this is anything new.

OR, are they being true to MS form, and this version contains a full compliment of crapware, intrusiveware, and spyware, which MS can then turn into a revenue stream that dwarfs the original purchase price. At least I'm guessing that's what they do with it, or Bill Gates really does have a megalomania complex and is storing all this data for his personal amusement. I for one won't be testing this theory, my mac is my own and no corporate IT hack will be touching it with this piece of junk. iWork opens the new office documents just fine, better than MS's converter in my experience, so I feel no need.:apple:

liv4Mac
Nov 2, 2007, 08:28 AM
Hmmm
From 2004 to 2008 wow 6 years for an update. So the next update will be in 2014? :rolleyes: NO THANKS!

illicium
Nov 2, 2007, 08:43 AM
Wow. My university has some special contract where they can sell M$ products at nearly nothing to the students. For Example, I just bought XP Pro 32 & 64 bit versions, yes two separate CD's & licenses for $10 total. I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade for $20.

I can buy Office 2004 for Mac for $10 then do this upgrade thing to Office 2008 for apparently $8 ish. So I can have a legit copy of Office 08 for under $20. Sure why not?

I too really like iWork 08 and use it about 90% of the time at school, but for under $20 why not also have Office 08 too?

It needs to be noted that I am angry with my school even tho I can get M$ crap for pennies because they don't sell anything pertaining to the Mac, except for Office 2004, which is only because it is a M$ product. All they have in the school software sales department is a poster rerencing the Apple on-line store for education. GRRR! If only they had a similar deal with Apple where I could choose from a vast selection of Apple software for $10-$20, that would be awesome.

TimTheEnchanter
Nov 2, 2007, 09:16 AM
Wow. My university has some special contract where they can sell M$ products..... I can buy Office 2004 for Mac for $10 then do this upgrade thing to Office 2008 for apparently $8 ish.....

Wow! Only $10 fricken buck? I was going to buy my daughter the student ed. soon, but for way more! :eek:

Umm... you taking orders? :D

lwcoffer2
Nov 2, 2007, 09:32 AM
I can buy Office 2004 for Mac for $10 then do this upgrade thing to Office 2008 for apparently $8 ish. So I can have a legit copy of Office 08 for under $20. Sure why not?

Same here. :)

OllyW
Nov 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hmmm
From 2004 to 2008 wow 6 years for an update. So the next update will be in 2014? :rolleyes: NO THANKS!

Six years???? :D

Stella
Nov 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
Why even use MS Office though? Since iWork '08 came out, I've only used MS apps at work where I'm forced to. Just seems to me like MS can't deliver a true competitor, so they have to sucker people in with deals.

Not a problem if your a home user. Macs in a business environment - is different - when you have a mixture of PC / Macs, they've probably standardized on Office - iWork / OpenOffice just won't cut it, sadly. The file format conversion between iWork -> MS Office, OO <-> MS Office isn't perfect especially if you've got embedded objects.

mags631
Nov 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
I bought iWorks 08 only to hold me over until Office 2008 is released. I have been using it, especially Keynote and Pages, for papers and presentations in school. I have only used Numbers for personal use (e.g., budgeting).

Coming from a long professional experience with Office (>12 years), I was expecting iWork to be too simple for my needs and only a transitory solution given the release date timing and my return to school.

As of now, I have produced plenty of content in iWorks, and I no longer intend to buy Office 2008, even with a generous academic discount. I love the simplicity of iWork and the price is perfect. I get a lot of writing done, as opposed to fighting Word through its machinations of styling.

Numbers appears a bit light for a spreadsheet jockey, but I'd probably wait for my work to buy me a copy, instead of buying for it my own use.

Hope my testimony is useful to someone.

thedudeAbides
Nov 2, 2007, 10:55 AM
I have to use PowerPoint for my job, and can't risk using NeoOffice.

I will see how much I can get it from my school (I just paid $69 for Leopard). I can't wait to use it at full speed! ARGH!

Matthew

how did you get leopard for $69? i asked the rep at my school (Vanderbilt University) and he said the cheapest was the online student discount of $116. thanks.

thedudeabides

weckart
Nov 2, 2007, 11:03 AM
Hmmm

Wow, this is one maths cock-up you cannot blame on the Excel bug :D

freediverdude
Nov 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
omg......there's now a media version AND ultimate version of Office too? You've got to be kidding. Talk about branding gone awry. And $679??? I doubt they will get a whole lot of bites at that price.

And just wait til some big corporations find out they can't do something because they didn't purchase the "ultimate" version, lol.

FoxyKaye
Nov 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
Not a problem if your a home user. Macs in a business environment - is different - when you have a mixture of PC / Macs, they've probably standardized on Office - iWork / OpenOffice just won't cut it, sadly. The file format conversion between iWork -> MS Office, OO <-> MS Office isn't perfect especially if you've got embedded objects.
Couldn't have said it better. And yet for all that, Office 2008 won't be supporting Macros - M$ is really being a bunch of punks about it, too. So you're upgrading to an inferior product, especially in environments where Macros are used daily (notably, Excel), they have a "Beta conversion" for Office 2004 but they won't add the functionality to read .docx & etc. right to the applications, and now they've managed to transplant their recent fetish for multiple product variations to the Mac. Oh yeah, and everyone says Office 2008 is a nightmare to work with.

I'm really hoping that Neo/Open Office gets more significant development in the coming years, or for that matter iWork. I'd love to drop M$ alltogether.

Stella
Nov 2, 2007, 12:08 PM
Couldn't have said it better. And yet for all that, Office 2008 won't be supporting Macros - M$ is really being a bunch of punks about it, too. So you're upgrading to an inferior product, especially in environments where Macros are used daily (notably, Excel), they have a "Beta conversion" for Office 2004 but they won't add the functionality to read .docx & etc. right to the applications, and now they've managed to transplant their recent fetish for multiple product variations to the Mac. Oh yeah, and everyone says Office 2008 is a nightmare to work with.

I'm really hoping that Neo/Open Office gets more significant development in the coming years, or for that matter iWork. I'd love to drop M$ alltogether.

The windows version of office '08 won't support VBScript either..

plickfu
Nov 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
Just a note to students who get Office (and other heavily discounted MS products through their student select licensing program) through university:
To actually to qualify for this program, you have to send in the UPC code and box top of your Office 2004 program. Usually, when you buy through school, you only get the media disc, no box or documentation. They don't tell you this up front (of course!), so I found out after the fact (and "returned" my Office 2004). I now use iWork and I love it.

Airforce
Nov 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
Like it won't be available on torrent sites the day it's released. I have NO ethical issues in borrowing software from Micro$oft. :mad:

Uh, it's already out there.:rolleyes:

I use it daily :) Much better than iWork! iWork's spreadsheet software pales in comparison.

harmonium
Nov 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
how did you get leopard for $69? i asked the rep at my school (Vanderbilt University) and he said the cheapest was the online student discount of $116. thanks.

thedudeabides

Apple changed the online price for Students which thus makes competition. So your university gets to choose how much it wants to sell it for (They buy it from Apple for $69 still). My school decided to make $20 bucks off of their Mac users, so I bought it from my friends University for $69. I hate how capitalism works sometimes.

apple_iBoy
Nov 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
I didn't realize that so many people had to pay even a nominal fee for software at their colleges. My school generally posts its software (including Office) on a secure site for free downloading, with sections for Mac and Windows machines.

I hope parents sending their kids off to school are checking up on exactly what is available from the college, and at what price, before buying it elsewhere.

Bern
Nov 2, 2007, 03:33 PM

iWork is not just for home users. I own my own design business and was using MS Office for a long time up until iWork came about. Now with '08 version iWork is that much more useful. I prepare all my invoicing and correspondence with iWork and email to PC clients almost every day.

vicious7
Nov 2, 2007, 03:47 PM
Six years???? :D

lol...hence the need for the education discount. :)

I think MS is dropping the ball. But they make too much $$$ so they don't really care.

arkmannj
Nov 2, 2007, 06:12 PM
question: so if I buy the student edition and then I upgrade to the uber mega ultimate media edition of Office 2008 how many usage licenses do we get. the student edition comes with multiple license keys (3 or 5 ?) If I installed all those licenses then upgrade:
* can I upgrade only 1 machine,
* can I upgrade all of them,
* do I have to uninstall office 2004 off of all but one machine then upgrade,
* or can I pay S&H for each of the license keys and upgrade all of them ?

Stella
Nov 2, 2007, 08:08 PM
iWork is not just for home users. I own my own design business and was using MS Office for a long time up until iWork came about. Now with '08 version iWork is that much more useful. I prepare all my invoicing and correspondence with iWork and email to PC clients almost every day.

No, your right - iWork isn't only for home use. HOWEVER, there a difference between you and a mixed windows / Mac environment. Compatibility is key - which was my point.

iWork file conversion is not perfect. For a business ( in the *majority* of cases, they'd buy MS Office for both Mac and windows.

Nov 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
Are they nervous, have they been getting feedback from many beta testers that the new version sucks? I've seen it, and it does suck. Not as bad as the new windows office, but it has some very serious issues for those of us who value productivity above "features". After a few months now using the windows version (I have not had direct access to the mac version to try it for myself), I'm still fighting to find commands that used to be obvious, it still takes me seemingly forever to format a graph in excel the way I want it, it still is almost impossible (and takes forever) to format a powerpoint slide, I am still trying to figure out how to turn off all the MS "do it the way we want it" auto reformatting defaults, etc, etc. I suppose this ribbon idea made sense to someone, but I clearly don't know that person judging by the regular screams of frustration/demands of IT carnage I hear echoing up and down the halls. Not that this is anything new.
:apple:

I have MS Office 2007, and I actually find the ribbon somewhat helpful. It only took me a little while to get used to, and now I find its layout relatively simple. However, it isn't perfect as I still find formatting graphs to be overly complicated, but overall, I think office 2007 is fine.

EricNau
Nov 2, 2007, 10:54 PM
question: so if I buy the student edition and then I upgrade to the uber mega ultimate media edition of Office 2008 how many usage licenses do we get. the student edition comes with multiple license keys (3 or 5 ?) If I installed all those licenses then upgrade:
* can I upgrade only 1 machine,
* can I upgrade all of them,
* do I have to uninstall office 2004 off of all but one machine then upgrade,
* or can I pay S&H for each of the license keys and upgrade all of them ?
That's a great question. How many licenses does the current edition of student and teacher come with? ...If it's 3, do all of them carry over?

Also, will we be getting a full version of Office 2008, or is it some funky upgrade?

EricNau
Nov 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
Looks like I found the answer to my own question:

On the mail-in rebate form, you can chose between two options:
*OPTION ONE: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition (includes 1 license for business or personal use, also includes Exchange Server support , additional Automator Actions plus Microsoft Expression Media for Mac)
*OPTION TWO: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac

If you want three licenses, you have to chose the home edition.

puckhead193
Nov 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
i'm happy with office 04 or whatever is out now.. it does the job... i don't even notice its "slow-ness"

janstett
Nov 5, 2007, 06:28 AM
Exchange (Entourage) is the piece missing from iWork, et al. I have to have Entourage. And I'm looking forward to eliminating another Rosetta app.

jeremyschultz
Nov 9, 2007, 08:44 AM
I just talked to Microsoft and even they don't know if Office X will be upgradeable directly to Office 2008. It's probable that it will be because Office 2004's upgrade path goes all the way down to Office 98.

My rep also said the mid-January date may shift as we get closer to that date, and the first quarter is the only (fairly) definite timeframe.

thefourthpope
Nov 9, 2007, 09:56 AM
Is there a setting in iWork to save stuff in .doc etc?

Try the "export" option in the file menu instead of "save." You get the choice of .pdf, .doc etc. Great for all those not yet following iWork. The same thing works in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. It's not automatic (that I know of) but it solves the problem.

Kilamite
Nov 11, 2007, 03:44 AM
Try the "export" option in the file menu instead of "save." You get the choice of .pdf, .doc etc. Great for all those not yet following iWork. The same thing works in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. It's not automatic (that I know of) but it solves the problem.

Formatting issues for some things unfortunately.

Exporting to PDF is the only reliable format to share between PC's and Mac's (if it is read-only).

MikeTheC
Nov 12, 2007, 01:28 AM
I dunno about the rest of you, but I heard Microsoft was including a Ginsu Knife Set, regularly valued at $59.99, at no extra cost.

"It slices. It dices. And wait'll you see what it does to our stock prices."

johnharbo
Nov 12, 2007, 04:29 AM
Pretty scary that Mister Softee has taken 4 years to get this out -- despite the macintel transition 2 years ago. They will be the last software company on the planet to convert to universal. You'd think with their billions in r&D they could do better.

Roderick Usher
Nov 12, 2007, 04:32 PM
Pretty scary that Mister Softee has taken 4 years to get this out -- despite the macintel transition 2 years ago. They will be the last software company on the planet to convert to universal.
No, you mean Intuit. A UB of Quicken would arrive long, long after Office 2008, assuming it even materialized.

chillywilly
Nov 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
Exchange (Entourage) is the piece missing from iWork, et al. I have to have Entourage. And I'm looking forward to eliminating another Rosetta app.

Entourage user here. This is a good deal to move to the latest version once it ships.

lampdeskchair
Nov 12, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm not too fond of iWork after trying the trial. Very much prefer Office, more features and I'm more used to how it works. I'm using Office in Bootcamp though, since 2004 on intel is rather slow. Rather excited for 2008. :D

Kilamite
Nov 13, 2007, 06:48 AM
I'm not too fond of iWork after trying the trial. Very much prefer Office, more features and I'm more used to how it works. I'm using Office in Bootcamp though, since 2004 on intel is rather slow. Rather excited for 2008. :D

Why not use Parallel's Desktop and use Office 2007 in that, save you restarting..?

impierced
Nov 13, 2007, 12:23 PM
Entourage user here. This is a good deal to move to the latest version once it ships.

Actually, truth be told, Office 2008 is merely a native version of Office 2004 with features that were too time consuming to re-write removed. To be fair, MS did throw a new skin over it.

The day I see a Mac version of Office that's fully compatible with the Windows version and has an Outlook client will be the day I actually get excited for a Mac Office suite from MS.

This might not be the last version we see of Office for the Mac, but with "upgrades" like this, one wonders how MS can actually label this Office. I'm thinking honest marketing like - Office Lite 2008 for the Mac.

chillywilly
Nov 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
Actually, truth be told, Office 2008 is merely a native version of Office 2004 with features that were too time consuming to re-write removed. To be fair, MS did throw a new skin over it.

The day I see a Mac version of Office that's fully compatible with the Windows version and has an Outlook client will be the day I actually get excited for a Mac Office suite from MS.

Not having seen or used Office 2008 yet, I'll take your word for it.

As for having Outlook on the Mac, I could see that as a good thing, but the one downfall of Outlook is that it's missing some email compliancy such as multi-mode emails (sending both text and HTML in the same formatted message). Entourage supports this.

Granted, if you need an email client for corporate use, then Outlook is it. But I've grown to like Entourage and hoping that 2008 doesn't change all that much. Especially when it comes to synching my Treo 755p to it, which if it didn't work, that would be a deal breaker and have me start looking for another solution (Mail.app, Address Book, iCal).

Like Outlook, Entourage supports categories, which I've been using for 10+ years now. That was one of the perks of using it under Outlook then moving to Entourage.

As far as being compatible with Office for Windows, I've not had too many issues. Just about every Word and Excel file I moved/move over from Office 2003 has come in without a problem. Some minor formatting issues have cropped up here and there, but that's about it.

I've not used Office 2007 yet, so not sure on how the file formats work and all that.

lampdeskchair
Nov 13, 2007, 02:57 PM
Why not use Parallel's Desktop and use Office 2007 in that, save you restarting..?
Meh I can wait a few months for a native Office 2008. I only have a 1gb of ram too, so parallel's will run pretty slow.

-and I'm pretty strapped for cash. :p

impierced
Nov 14, 2007, 10:16 AM
Granted, if you need an email client for corporate use, then Outlook is it. But I've grown to like Entourage and hoping that 2008 doesn't change all that much. Especially when it comes to synching my Treo 755p to it, which if it didn't work, that would be a deal breaker and have me start looking for another solution (Mail.app, Address Book, iCal).

Prepare for the first disappointment... the Palm Conduit for sync'ng is no more.

Entourage via Sync Services -> iCal/Address Book -> Treo is the method now.

chillywilly
Nov 14, 2007, 02:46 PM
Prepare for the first disappointment... the Palm Conduit for sync'ng is no more.

Entourage via Sync Services -> iCal/Address Book -> Treo is the method now.

Oh wow. That is a disappointment. So have you actually done a sync from Entourage to a Treo? Is it difficult to setup? I've not used the Sync Services yet (i know Entourage 2004 supports it). There's several other items I sync that use HotSync (ie. Pocket Quicken, Documents To Go) that I don't want to lose until I know how to do them under the new Office and Leopard.

Looks like I'll have to start thinking of other options to make this work before moving to Office 2008 and Leopard.

Dillenger
Nov 14, 2007, 03:22 PM
Unless I'm doing something wrong here is the problem I have with Pages (and believe me I want to leave Mac Office) 1. No automatic back-ups in case I screw up. 2. When I save (export a document to a Word.doc format) it will not default to that type of save again. In other words I can't click on the save button and it saves to Word.doc, no I have to click on export again. Why not an option to save it as a Word.doc .pdf or what ever as the default save. 3. Where is the spell check button I can put in the task bar, and how can I set up my spell check so it will track, show misspelled words and suggestions as I type? Now again if It's me then I'm open to suggestions, but if not then I'm stuck using Word for a while.

davidwarren
Nov 14, 2007, 07:58 PM
Apple changed the online price for Students which thus makes competition. So your university gets to choose how much it wants to sell it for (They buy it from Apple for $69 still). My school decided to make $20 bucks off of their Mac users, so I bought it from my friends University for $69. I hate how capitalism works sometimes.

uh, sounds more like you don't understand how it works.....

bluedevil14
Nov 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
this is awesome news

this will prob be the last version of office ill buy because google docs is getting better and better

majordude
Nov 17, 2007, 07:06 PM

Palm? That's sooo 2000.

psychofreak
Nov 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
I love Pages, I sometimes use Neo, but the first question asked by potential switchers is "Does it have MS Office", and I have to show them it, and explain why its so slow etc. Its too much for many to comprehend using another word processor. Having a better MS:Office will greatly increase Mac sales, even if only a minor percentage of those convinced to switch by it actually buy Office:08 :)

majordude
Nov 17, 2007, 07:33 PM
Does Entourage read RSS feeds? Does it crash all the time like it did in 2004?

I'm not a fan of the ribbon. On the PC I use 2003 even though I have access to 2007 at work. I find everything about 2003 faster and easier to find.

What is the cheapest OS X MS Office available? I think I'll pick up a copy if I get a free upgrade to a top of the line 2007.

chillywilly
Nov 17, 2007, 07:34 PM
Palm? That's sooo 2000.

It may be outdated, but it's stable and keeps my day organized (Treo 755p). And without Entourage syncing the majoring of my data to it, I'm pretty much lost.

I'll be trying the Sync Service / Address Book / Treo with my old 650 on the Mac mini to see what kind of data syncs over from Entourage 2004. If Entourage 2008 is pretty close, I may be able to make that work.

.adam
Nov 20, 2007, 04:51 AM
Given that Pages '08 supports MSWord docs (both saving and editing, I believe?), is there any reason nowadays to run MSOffice for Mac? I've been happy with Pages '08 and don't see any reason to buy Office, I have NeoOffice as backup incase Pages ever decides not to open a document.

n8236
Dec 1, 2007, 02:58 AM
Looks like Excel 2008 still needs some fixes, I can't open an xlsx file that I have a pw lock on, spits an error msg at me.

Overall, Mac Office 2008 is nice, but not nearly as good as the PC version.

PCMacUser
Dec 1, 2007, 03:13 AM
Does Entourage read RSS feeds? Does it crash all the time like it did in 2004?

I don't know about the RSS feeds, but I can say that Entourage in Office 2004 does not crash all of the time. I use it both professionally in my place of work as well as privately at home and find that it is remarkably stable. Perhaps there were issues with the earlier versions?

PCMacUser
Dec 1, 2007, 03:13 AM
Given that Pages '08 supports MSWord docs (both saving and editing, I believe?), is there any reason nowadays to run MSOffice for Mac? I've been happy with Pages '08 and don't see any reason to buy Office, I have NeoOffice as backup incase Pages ever decides not to open a document.

EMAIL (with exchange support)

surferfromuk
Dec 1, 2007, 05:44 AM
Microsoft is like one of the tripods from H.G Wells War of the Worlds and Office is one of it's legs - if that goes the whole thing will come tumbling down.

They've been treating Mac users like dirt for decades keeping a token offering of Office on the platform, always one version behind, under the illusion of some charitable act but mainly it was to stop a competitor establishing itself on the Mac platform and becoming a serious contender in the Office market - knowing it would finally leak over into the Windows world and reveal Office for the head pickling junk it truly is.

Well, it seems like Apple has recognized this and iWork08 is as much as any sane productive person needs.

and it seems like Microsoft has recognized this too and has gone on the defensive...

Interesting times...

chillywilly
Dec 1, 2007, 08:58 AM
I decided to take advantage of the Best Friday Deal offer that MS did for Mac Office 2004. Amazon had it for $124 and with the $100 rebate, it made it cheap enough to get the upgrade to 2008.

Still many unknowns to the 2008 upgrade, especially in the area of handheld syncing. But it will be good to have it for cheap.

PCMacUser
Dec 3, 2007, 05:02 AM
Well, it seems like Apple has recognized this and iWork08 is as much as any sane productive person needs.

and it seems like Microsoft has recognized this too and has gone on the defensive...

Interesting times...

I look forward to seeing the Windows version of iWork08 then...

elcid
Dec 3, 2007, 06:13 AM
Office 2k4 and Office 2k8 together were cheaper than iWork08. Not to mention they are the industry standard whether you want to admit it or not. That and exchange support is very useful to a lot of corporate workers.

Put that all together and Im surprised anyone passed up $30 Office. They may be trying to off load it, but if they are I will be first in line to pick it up.

Quillz
Dec 3, 2007, 02:31 PM
Microsoft is like one of the tripods from H.G Wells War of the Worlds and Office is one of it's legs - if that goes the whole thing will come tumbling down.

They've been treating Mac users like dirt for decades keeping a token offering of Office on the platform, always one version behind, under the illusion of some charitable act but mainly it was to stop a competitor establishing itself on the Mac platform and becoming a serious contender in the Office market - knowing it would finally leak over into the Windows world and reveal Office for the head pickling junk it truly is.

Interesting times...
Yes, they've treated Mac users like dirt for decades. That's why they invested $150 million in Apple, settled all patent disputes with them and have been committed to releasing major version updates of Office on the Mac platform.

DiamondMac
Dec 4, 2007, 10:25 AM
I love Apple but plan on sticking with Microsoft's Office suite's.

I bought iWork and just am not a fan of it.

Roy
Dec 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
They've been treating Mac users like dirt for decades keeping a token offering of Office on the platform, always one version behind, ......

When Office Mac 2008 comes out, won't Mac Office be ahead of Windows Office 2007 until Window Office 2011? My Windows friends always say Mac gets the latest version of Office and some Mac people tend to think we are alway behind. Office 2003, then Mac had the latest Office version from 2004 until Office 2007 came out for Windows. It's all according to how one looks at it. Glass half full or half empty.:D

Roy
Dec 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
Office 2k4 and Office 2k8 together were cheaper than iWork08. Not to mention they are the industry standard whether you want to admit it or not. That and exchange support is very useful to a lot of corporate workers.

Put that all together and Im surprised anyone passed up $30 Office. They may be trying to off load it, but if they are I will be first in line to pick it up.

At $125 from Amazon and a $30 credit for opening up an Amazon.com Visa card, plus free shipping and no tax, with a $100 rebate, my Mac Office 2008 is costing me about $2.50. (I already had bought a 2004 version a few years ago, but Microsoft's offer for Office 2008 for $2.50 looked extremely good).

I don't know if I'm going to buy iWork and/or use it. After Apple let Appleworks die on the vine the way they did, somewhere down the line they might just do the same with iWorks. I'm not a fan of Word, but I have a strong feeling that it has just as good of a chance as being around long term as a Mac product as does iWork.

bonafide
Dec 6, 2007, 12:21 AM
Can someone please redirect me to a link from Apple that supports this claim. I would like to get on the bandwagon before it is too late.

Man.. I need to log into these forums more often. Ever since buying my iMac I haven't the need to come here and dream of Mac.

overanalyzer
Dec 6, 2007, 06:48 AM
Can someone please redirect me to a link from Apple that supports this claim. I would like to get on the bandwagon before it is too late.

Man.. I need to log into these forums more often. Ever since buying my iMac I haven't the need to come here and dream of Mac.

It's too late. The $100 off was a November 23rd deal only. You can still get 2008 for the price of shipping ($10) if you buy 2004, however. Here's the info: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/supersuitedeal/

paulbaker
Dec 6, 2007, 04:21 PM
I too am an iWork advocate, but...

For those of us who use excel professionally (IE not for lists, etc.), Numbers crashes 90% of the time trying to open a complex sheet. Excel is still the gold standard.

I like pages better than word, and I think it is now really just as good at WP'ing, but I use word so I don't have to have two copies of my dang documents.

Why doesn't Apple (since they want us to use Pages) make it so that the Pages file is already recognizable by Word so that we don't have export unless we want a PDF? That might seal the deal for a lot of people.

The speed of 04 sucks, so I am looking forward to the new release, I just wish they would make the Projects section of Entourage more robust and less soccer mom, since most people that buy office use it in some sort of work function.

Also, the rendering of HTML email in Entourage sucks, are they going to make it on par with Mail? Does anyone know? Thanks, you've been great.

johnyip
Dec 12, 2007, 05:02 AM
Is there anyway of participating in this offer while residing in Australia? Cheers

overanalyzer
Dec 12, 2007, 07:55 AM
Is there anyway of participating in this offer while residing in Australia? Cheers

It says US and Canada on the site, plus I came across this article: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Microsoft-ignores-Australia-in-Mac-Office-deal/0,130061733,339283462,00.htm

So I think unfortunately they've excluded you from the deal. Apparently you can only get the much cheaper version for free. The article has more info, and here's the Australia deal page: http://www.microsoft.com/australia/office/mac/upgradeguarantee.mspx

EDIT: Oh wait, I misread. It's only a crappier deal if you buy the Student/Teacher version (like I did). So I guess you can actually take advantage of the same deal, assuming you're not buying the academic version. I'm also not sure if the price is the same since I don't know the exchange rate.

MikeTheC
Dec 12, 2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, but have you folks seen this?

Microsoft To Sweeten Office '08 Deal Even Further
Deal to allegedly include free 24" iMac

Redmond, WA, Dec. 12, AP -- In a stunning move, Microsoft chairman Steve Balmer announced Microsoft's plans to give away a free iMac with the purchase of Microsoft Office 2008, a port of their flagship product for users of Mac OS X-based Apple computers.

This comes as a stunning move by the software giant, which has had a number of troubled product releases in the past 18 months, such as the failed "Zune" iPod competitor, and Windows Vista -- the first product in Microsoft's history where users and volume OEM resellers such as Dell and HP have been clamoring for previous-version OSs instead, touting them as an "upgrade". The Office '08 product has also had it's share of set-backs, having seen it's release delayed well into Q1-Q2 of 2008.

"It's something we've been considering," said Balmer in a telephone interview today from his private 500' long yacht. "Hey, can you turn that damn 'Monkey Boy' music video down?" he suddenly shouted, trying to mute the phone as he did so. "Sorry. Where was I? Oh, yeah. Bill and I have been in conference calls with several senior members of our Macintosh Business Unit, as well a number of our domestic partners, and the consensus has been this will be beneficial to our premium product placement."

Analysts have been critical of Microsoft in recent months, given numerous delays to Microsoft's Mac version and the fact that two of it's most serious competitors -- namely, Apple's iWork 08 and the free OpenOffice.org project -- have been slowly but steadily gaining both market-, as well as mindshare.

"I'm absolutely shocked," says MacRumors.com's own Arnold Kim, who was on retreat at his palatial Naples, Italy winter home and spoke with us via video chat. "Although when viewed in the context that Microsoft will go to seemingly-incredible lengths to promote their products, it's not as unforeseeable as it might otherwise be. Really, this is just a next-level move, considering their X-Box and X-Box 360 strategies."

"It's totally crazy," says fellow veteran MacRumors.com poster MadJew. "I'm reminded of something MikeTheC has used as an analogy, though. It's what they used to say about the F-4 Phantom -- 'with enough thrust, you can fly a brick.'"

Sources close to Apple CEO Steve Jobs have hinted Mr. Jobs will have something even more incredible to announce to counter this at his annual MacWorld trade-show keynote address in January. "G5 MacBook Pros this Thursday," commented one source who asked not to be identified.

chillywilly
Dec 12, 2007, 03:09 PM
Nice... LOL

Is it still 8-12 weeks before we get our iMac?

onomatopoeia
Dec 13, 2007, 05:00 PM
Has anyone ran through the online redemption of this deal?

I don't see how they verify you actually purchased a version of Office 2004 using the online method. Using the coupon method you need to send a copy of your valid receipt and the top of the Office 2004 box.

However, I'd rather do the online order (as it seems like it would be faster) so I did a mock sale. I only see a typical checkout process with no requirement of proof of purchase. There must be a step I'm not seeing, right? Otherwise, one could simply order a copy of Office 2008 for $6.00 without every purchasing Office 2004.

chillywilly
Dec 13, 2007, 07:20 PM
I did the online order. After you checkout, print out a form that tells you to send in a copy of the receipt and the top of the Office 2004 box.

Sir Tony
Dec 13, 2007, 08:36 PM
I did the online order. After you checkout, print out a form that tells you to send in a copy of the receipt and the top of the Office 2004 box.

Top of box?!?! Grrrrrrr, I got my copy through my school for dirt cheap, no box!

Roy
Dec 13, 2007, 09:01 PM
Top of box?!?! Grrrrrrr, I got my copy through my school for dirt cheap, no box!

Me too, but I figured it was cheaper to buy another copy of Mac Office 2004 and have to pay only a total of about $2.50 for another copy of Office 2004 and Mac Office 2008. Can't beat that price.

just02
Dec 13, 2007, 09:04 PM

You probably won't be able to get Office '08 through this offer.

Hrm. I threw in the Super Sweet Deal paper, receipt from both Newegg and Microsoft, and the box top. Maybe something else too? Need to get all of your bases covered! :o

zakee00
Dec 13, 2007, 09:13 PM

Buy a new copy of 2004- thats your upgrade ticket :D

DesignerOnMac
Dec 13, 2007, 09:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Microsoft has sweetened the deal (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/supersuitedeal/) for imminent Office for Mac buyers that don't want to be left behind come the January launch of Mac Office 2008.

From now on, a purchase of ANY version of Mac Office 2004 product (Student and Teacher, Standard, or Professional Edition) will be eligible for an upgrade to the top of the line Mac Office 2008 Special Media Edition for only the price of shipping and handling.

While Microsoft had previously had a technology guarantee in place after announcing the Office 2008 packages (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/25/microsoft-unveils-mac-office-2008-packages-pricing/), the update applied only to the comparable updated version (Standard Edition 2004 would be updated to Standard Edition 2008).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/microsoft-sweetens-office-2008-upgrade-deal/)

M$ made this announcement a few days BEFORE Black Friday! Prices are a little different if your not a student or teacher...$100 back on Office 2004, and free upgrade to the new 2008 Special Media Edition for $10.00, ( I think)

Roy
Dec 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
M$ made this announcement a few days BEFORE Black Friday! Prices are a little different if your not a student or teacher...$100 back on Office 2004, and free upgrade to the new 2008 Special Media Edition for $10.00, ( I think)

Anybody can buy the Student and Teacher Edition of 2004. It is being replaced with Office Mac 2008 Home Users and Students edition. Microsoft did not ask you to prove that you were a "student or teacher of life" to buy the 2004 Office Student and Teacher Edition and then get a free upgrade to the 2008 edition. You just can't use either one of them (Student and Teacher Edition of 2004/2008 Home Users and Students edition) in a commercial application.

Spikeanator6982
Dec 13, 2007, 11:48 PM
this is disapointing, when i saw the title, i thought yes, their giving you iwork when u buy office 08.:p

DiamondMac
Dec 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
I am pretty happy with my current Word Mac 2004

Is there an actual reason for NEEDING to get this new upgrade?

Roy
Dec 14, 2007, 05:35 AM
this is disapointing, when i saw the title, i thought yes, their giving you iwork when u buy office 08.:p

Nah. iWork is a little bit more expensive this time around.

kaiwai
Dec 14, 2007, 07:46 AM
Who cares! They were slow and now they're gonna miss out on my business because of it. Maybe they'll be able to sell me once iWork 08's gets old and I'm looking to upgrade productivity suites again.

By that time the short comings in Numbers will be addressed - and Pages/Keynote will be so far ahead, going to use Office will be like a downgrade.

The thing i can't stand is this approach of having such a crappy bundle; if they really want me to buy Office 2008, how about feature/application parity with the windows counterpart - Access anyone? VB and .NET support?

chillywilly
Dec 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
Anybody can buy the Student and Teacher Edition of 2004. It is being replaced with Office Mac 2008 Home Users and Students edition. Microsoft did not ask you to prove that you were a "student or teacher of life" to buy the 2004 Office Student and Teacher Edition and then get a free upgrade to the 2008 edition. You just can't use either one of them (Student and Teacher Edition of 2004/2008 Home Users and Students edition) in a commercial application.

Yep, you are correct. When I bought the version from Amazon on 11/23, there was no proof of being a student. I bought it, they sent it to me, I installed it.

Plus it made the upgrade to Office 2008 the cheapest deal around.

swearbymac07
Dec 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
Remember when Apple released Leopard??

Someone bought a Mac and Leopard wasnt on it??

They got to upgrade for the Shipping and Handling Price.

They also need to sweeten the deal because they feel threatened by iWork lol

overcast
Dec 16, 2007, 07:24 AM
Remember when Apple released Leopard??

Someone bought a Mac and Leopard wasnt on it??

They got to upgrade for the Shipping and Handling Price.

They also need to sweeten the deal because they feel threatened by iWork lol
Wrong, the upgrade price was $10 and shipping was free, and this is not even the same situation. You were buying a $1500 Apple computer and had to login to the website to spend more money on an OS that should have been there in the first place. Not to mention, the version you received was an upgrade disk which REQUIRED Tiger to already be installed already. Disk failure = install TWO operating systems. Of course you could get around this with the restore from time machine backup menu trick , but what percentage of people knew that?

weg
Dec 16, 2007, 07:34 AM

Of course, a lot of people only need the functions of WordPad or iWork. In that case, buying Microsoft Office is an overkill. However, the comparison of Gimp and Photoshop comes to my mind.... bottom line: If you don't need it, don't buy it, but don't say MS can't deliver a true competitor only because all you ever needed a word processor for was writing a letter to your mum.

weg
Dec 16, 2007, 07:47 AM

First: Office for Windows and Office for the Mac are developed by different teams, use a different codebase, in order to be able to address the features of the two operating systems better (e.g., floating translucent palettes). When Office 2004 was released, it wasn't "one version behind", it had some features that weren't available in Office for Windows at that time (project center, dictionary/thesaurus etc.). And: Microsoft doesn't treat Mac users like dirt. If Microsoft decides not to support the Mac anymore, they won't lose a lot of money, but the lack of MS Office would keep a lot of people from buying a Mac (don't tell me that they can use open office - if somebody asks you whether he can edit Office files with the Mac and you have to answer "yes, with a few restrictions" then that's a deal-breaker).

heatmiser
Dec 16, 2007, 10:34 AM
I love the sense of entitlement so many Mac users seem to have toward Microsoft. You'd think MS needed Apple's userbase more than the userbase needed MS :^)

chillywilly
Dec 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
I think one of the main reasons Microsoft has kept up the Mac version of Office has been for business users, which I know there is a small percentage when compared to Windows use in the business. But I'm sure it's important to those companies that use both Mac and Windows machines and need to have compatibility with the sharing of documents between users.

I know being able to move all of my Word and Excel docs that I created under Windows and have them work without issue on the Mac (with some minor formatting adjustments) has been nice. It's pretty slow at times, especially if I have more than one program open (Word, Excel Entourage), but that's Rosetta translation working.

My friend has moved to iWork 08 and finds that most Word and Excel docs come in just fine under Pages and Numbers, respectfully. But complex Excel files tend to choke Numbers and there's some complex Word docs that have major formatting issues under Pages that need more than just a few tweaks.

As for Entourage users, I wonder how many people (like myself) that are tied to that program for PIM functions. I know categories are a BIG reason I stay with Entourage and have not moved to the iCal/Address Book/Mail solution. The few work arounds that I've found are too kludgey and don't offer anything that's smooth enough to work well on a regular basis.

As for Office 2008 solving any of these issues, I think the biggest will be speed, thanks to Universal Binary for Intel users. For Office 2007 Windows users, cross documents compatibility will be nice. The only large unknown is handheld synchronization, which so far seems to not have produced any definite answers as to how it will work.

I would image that once the official release gets into people's hands, we'll start to see some answers. But by then, those of us that still need to work, may just stick with 2004 or find another solution.

Roderick Usher
Dec 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
I love the sense of entitlement so many Mac users seem to have toward Microsoft. You'd think MS needed Apple's userbase more than the userbase needed MS :^)
While some of their demands reflect ignorance of certain realities within the MacBU, on the whole I think it's healthy to keep demanding improvements - as long as it's done in a constructive way. I only wish they did it more often with Apple itself.

DiamondMac
Dec 28, 2007, 01:40 PM
I am actually giving iWork's a 3rd chance with my most recent document report that needs to be finished on the 4th of January.

If I like it, I just may NOT buy Office '08 :)

First two run-through's with iWork's did not go over well with me pain-wise

BrianKonarsMac
Dec 28, 2007, 04:47 PM

Very amusing that you claim to have no ehtical issues...and then say your "borrowing" the software...:rolleyes:

Just say you're stealing it, don't try to sugar coat it.

Back on topic, I'll be picking up the student edition for cheap and then upgrade to 2008 for like $10...not a bad deal. If I read this correctly I will be able to upgrade from the Student Edition to the full version? Even better.

Digital Skunk
Dec 28, 2007, 05:01 PM

Neither of them needs each other. I don't see too many "In Too Deep" Apple users clamoring on about how they need much of anything from Microsoft other than games. Not that it takes away from the company, just that MS isn't a staple in their daily lives or workflows.

And we all know that MS doesn't need the few hundred thousand Apple users either. If MS went out of business I bet many Apple users would still get up and go to work just fine, and in all reality, many people would get along just fine without Apple or MS.

BaronvdB
Jan 3, 2008, 01:03 PM
Looks like I found the answer to my own question:

On the mail-in rebate form, you can chose between two options:
*OPTION ONE: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition (includes 1 license for business or personal use, also includes Exchange Server support , additional Automator Actions plus Microsoft Expression Media for Mac)
*OPTION TWO: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac

If you want three licenses, you have to chose the home edition.

I'm new to Mac and my question about this Office 2008 is if I take option ONE above can I REALLY only install it on one machine??

Ethics aside, is it possible to install the special media edition on my TWO apple machines or will the software not even allow it if I tried?

Domofloge
Jan 8, 2008, 11:02 PM

Roy
Jan 8, 2008, 11:21 PM
Sorry but I do not think this information is correct. As of now, there is no upgrade from '04 to '08 for the Home and Student edition. However, there is an upgrade for the Professional edition for the price of $240..

This really sucks for me, b/c i just picked up a Macbook for Christmas, along with Office '04 and was stoked when '08 was coming out... now i cant even upgrade.. soooo stupid if you ask me..

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=86F5DDFE&node=home/mac/campaigns/ms_office_2008_landing

Not quite sure what you are saying or if you know what you are talking about.

I already have Office Mac 2004. I ordered it again on Black Friday from Amazon for $125. Amazon gave me a $30 credit if I opened up a Visa/Amazon.com card with them. I received a check from Microsoft yesterday for $100. So I'm already ahead by $5.00. I've already filled out the paperwork and when Office Mac 2008 comes out, my credit card will be charged $6.99 or $9.99 (I forgot which) and Office Mac 2008 will be mailed to me.

I don't quite understand the " soooo stupid if you ask me.." part. Are you talking about yourself or Microsoft or ????

zacksparky
Jan 10, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm new to Mac and my question about this Office 2008 is if I take option ONE above can I REALLY only install it on one machine??

Ethics aside, is it possible to install the special media edition on my TWO apple machines or will the software not even allow it if I tried?

I have both a student and standard version of Office:mac 04. The standard only has 1 key and the student has 3. You can install the standard on as many machines as you like but when you connect them to each other on a LAN then the programs "see" each other and 1 of them shuts down.

Roy
Jan 10, 2008, 05:00 PM
Got this email from Microsoft today:

Thank you for your Microsoft order. We have received your order.
Below is a summary of your order.

Your Order Number: 1055xxxxxxxx10
Order Date: 01/10/2008

Ship to:
Roy Me
Somewhere Steet
Somewhere, FL 33XXX USA

Sold to:
Roy Me
Somewhere Steet
Somewhere, FL 33XXX USA

Item(s) ordered.

Description: OFFICE MAC HOME STUDENT 2008 EN DVD (Part No: GZA-00006)
Qty: 1
Price: $0.00
Ext. Price: $0.00

SubTotal $0.00
Shipping/Handling $6.99
Tax $0.49
------------------------------------------
Total $7.48

majordude
Jan 10, 2008, 06:13 PM
Ship to:
Roy Me
Somewhere Steet
Somewhere, FL 33XXX USA

Wow, you live right across the street from me. :rolleyes:

kaiwai
Jan 10, 2008, 07:12 PM
Why does Microsoft only allow that special for US and Canadian customers? Xenophobia anyone? example of Americanism entering business in the form of 'ignorance of things outside the US'?

macaco74
Jan 11, 2008, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know how to verify, with MS the receipt of the suite deal package? I heard some people mention that they received an e-mail. I had not so I am begining to get concerned.

Thanks!
Scott

Quillz
Jan 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
Why does Microsoft only allow that special for US and Canadian customers? Xenophobia anyone? example of Americanism entering business in the form of 'ignorance of things outside the US'?
What? It's nothing more than simple convenience. Microsoft is an American company, so they will tend to have special promotions in their operating country.

kaiwai
Jan 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
What? It's nothing more than simple convenience. Microsoft is an American company, so they will tend to have special promotions in their operating country.

So hang on, they mark themselves as a global company and yet they act like some sort of 2 man band? geeze, no wonder the the trade deficit looks so bad with that sort of isolationist attitude.

majordude
Jan 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
I ordered 2008 online. It took my credit card. Do I have to send something to MS? They didn't ask for it!

chillywilly
Jan 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
I ordered 2008 online. It took my credit card. Do I have to send something to MS? They didn't ask for it!

If it's the upgrade, then you will have to print out the order and send in proof of previous version.