PDA

View Full Version : imac 233 original and pc cards for wireless router?

sidio
Sep 11, 2003, 09:24 PM
hi.:rolleyes:
i gave my little sister my old imac233 original. she wants to hook it up to her roommates wireless router, i think it's by "netgear".

i'm not sure if it's even possible but if so,
what does she need?
Her roommate is saying she needs a "pc card"?

This is the old, original imac 233, with 4GB and it has 128Ram installed, cdrom(tray-loaded).
any help would be fine in this area.
thank you.:cool:

Horrortaxi
Sep 11, 2003, 10:39 PM
You can't put a PC card into an iMac--there are no slots for expansion. They sell wireless bridges that should work in this case. For $100-$120 you can get an ethernet bridge or for half that you can get one that uses USB. I'd opt for the ethernet one myself because USB ports on an iMac are few. Also, the ethernet bridge works independently of the OS. Expect a headache or 2 setting it up but it'll work fine.

strider42
Sep 11, 2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by sidio
hi.:rolleyes:
i gave my little sister my old imac233 original. she wants to hook it up to her roommates wireless router, i think it's by "netgear".

i'm not sure if it's even possible but if so,
what does she need?
Her roommate is saying she needs a "pc card"?

This is the old, original imac 233, with 4GB and it has 128Ram installed, cdrom(tray-loaded).
any help would be fine in this area.
thank you.:cool:

No PCI slot, so no card can go in there. There may be some USb wireless solutions (they exist for PC's anyway), but otherwise the 233 is not wireless capable.