Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stadidas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Kent, United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been writing an application in which I have an NSArrayController binding an instance of NSMutableArray to a NSTableView. When I insert objects using the insert: action of the array controller, a new object appears in the table view as expected. However, I have another method which adds objects directly to the mutable array. The problem is when I do this the table view does not update until the insert: method is called again. I assume this is because I am bypassing the bindings layer.
Is there any way of accessing the array controller’s insert: method programmatically? If not, how can I have the table view refresh itself when a new object is added to the mutable array?

Thanks for any help you can give, if you need any more detail just ask.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Use the array controller's add: method to add objects to it directly, not to the array. If you setAutomaticallyPreparesContent:YES (can be enabled in IB), then you don't even need to manage an array - you just have to work with the array controller, and it'll update automatically.

stadidas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Kent, United Kingdom
Use the array controller's add: method to add objects to it directly, not to the array. If you setAutomaticallyPreparesContent:YES (can be enabled in IB), then you don't even need to manage an array - you just have to work with the array controller, and it'll update automatically.

Thanks kainjow, that sounds great.
How do I access the array controller from my document class? At the moment I was using the insert: method by attaching a button in IB (but this isn't how I want to do it, it was just to check it worked). Once I can access the array controller from code I will be able to implement your solution.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Just setup an IBOutlet for the NSArrayController, and then you can access it directly.

Edit: it might be better to use addObject: or addObjects:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.