Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I got a Windows XP partition working on my MBP under Tiger and Boot Camp (Beta), but the Apple drivers for Keyboard, trackpad, IR and bluetooth did not work. The built-in keyboard and trackpad worked with default Windows drivers, but no Mac-specific key functionality (like brightness, volume, etc).

I was hoping Boot Camp 2.0 in Leopard would have better drivers, but they still didn't work. I don't know if this is a MBP-specific problem or not.

Has anyone with a MBP gotten Apple drivers to work in Windows?

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Yes, I used the Leopard disc and let it go through the setup. As soon as the keyboard driver installed, the keyboard went dead, and the same with the trackpad. When I rolled back the drivers and reverted to the default Microsoft drivers, they both returned.

I just checked my Boot ROM version- it is MBP31.0070.B02. Do I need to apply a firmware update? I thought I did that soon after receiving my MBP. Maybe it didn't actually apply the update.

I'll check that when I get an internet connection.

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I tried to install the update to firmware version 1.4, but it said my machine didn't need it. So, I'm going to do Windows Update and look for anything that hadn't updated automatically.

burnhamish

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Solution, sort of

Finding VERY little about this issue other than a few others experiencing driver problems, I decided to chuck the whole Windows partition and re-do it under Leopard's Boot Camp. I didn't have much installed on it, anyway.

All the apple drivers installed this time, and I have full keyboard functionality, including the Fn keys that control volume, brightness, etc.

I have not gone through the whole security updating process, so we'll see what happens after that...<key portentious music>

LauraCarlos

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
No Internet Conection on XP Pro SP2

Please help me anyone! I installed the drivers from my leopard cd (10.5.3) in windows after boot camp did it's thing, but I cannot access the web. The network connections shows that I am connected, but I can't even validate or register my windows xp or other installed programs, so I get the 30 day period message. I don't want to use windows to surf the web as I have read that leopard leaks. All I want to do is register my software installations but I can't! Ugh! So frustrating! Can someone please help me? Thank you kindly =)

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Please help me anyone! I installed the drivers from my leopard cd (10.5.3) in windows after boot camp did it's thing, but I cannot access the web. The network connections shows that I am connected, but I can't even validate or register my windows xp or other installed programs, so I get the 30 day period message. I don't want to use windows to surf the web as I have read that leopard leaks. All I want to do is register my software installations but I can't! Ugh! So frustrating! Can someone please help me? Thank you kindly =)

What do you mean "Leopard leaks"? Anyway, the Windows XP activation wizard explains exactly how to activate Windows over phone. As a last resort, you can use one of many cracks available online; I've had to do that before on perfectly legal installations.

price777999

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Hello .........im having the same problem ,its driving me nuts ...volume keys and eject button etc just will not work !!!!!

when i first installed the leopard cd they did work some of the time but now there just not working .

really dont want to install windows again but i suppose ill have to?

price777999

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
fixed it .........just put the windows cd in and did a repair ....same product key worked and all my stuff still there.

same problem

in installed xp onto an aluminium macbook yesterday, and had to put the leopard disc in to install all the drivers. i promptly lost keyboard and trackpad after that. restarted - same thing. so i thought i would try an external mouse. it all came to life as soon as i plugged it in. weird, i wonder what was going on there.

a quirk - i had to tap with three fingers to right click. i didnt try two finger scrolling.

it wasnt my computer, it was a mates so i havnt spent any time seeing if theres any other issues.

price777999

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
ok volume and light keys stoped working again so i did a restore to yesterday and that fixed it ........im sure its gona screw up again:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

Mixu

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Try this

Since you are using XP, try this: Input Remapper

Replaces Apple Keyboard driver (is crappy). I have read positive things about it, but since I have windows vista 64-bit, I haven't tried it myself... I just have to live without special function keys at the moment. :( (It was bootcamp 2.1 upgrade that broke the keyboard for me, but I needed the upgrade for other reasons too (more important than keyboard is chipset driver support!)

I've found instructions to fix function keys that BC 2.1 update broke. See this.

price777999

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
thanx mate .........i found C:\Program Files\Bootcamp\Kbdmgr.exe and just double clicked on it and it fixed it strait away.

price777999

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
after restart it stooped working again so now iv pined the kbd file to the start menu and just click on it to get the keys working.

Euphemism

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
I got a Windows XP partition working on my MBP under Tiger and Boot Camp (Beta), but the Apple drivers for Keyboard, trackpad, IR and bluetooth did not work. The built-in keyboard and trackpad worked with default Windows drivers, but no Mac-specific key functionality (like brightness, volume, etc).

I was hoping Boot Camp 2.0 in Leopard would have better drivers, but they still didn't work. I don't know if this is a MBP-specific problem or not.

Has anyone with a MBP gotten Apple drivers to work in Windows?

Hello, first post but I think I have the answer after much strife on my own MacBook with troublesome Boot Camp drivers. This is not a MBP specific problem, my MB is just the baby one.

You'll need your OSX/Boot Camp install disc and an extraction program like WinRAR to do this:

Short answer: extract the installer exes from your OSX disc's Drivers folder. Then use the Hardware Update wizard and specify the folder you extracted them to to search for the drivers.

Long step-by-step answer (same thing, more detail).

1. Insert OSX install disc with Windows running.
2. Open My Computer and right click the CD. Select Explore.
3. Find and open the folder called Drivers. Inside will be lots of folders titled with different manufacturer/developer names like Apple, Asix, Broadcom, Nvidia etc. Inside these folders are executable installers.
4. Using your extractor software, extract the installers into a new folder on your desktop. You might need to do them all, or you might know which ones you'll particularly need. Most users should at least be able to make an educated guess (e.g. Broadcom for wireless drivers, Apple for integrated iSight camera or keyboard, etc) but if not, just take a bit more time and extract everything.
5. Launch Control Panel and the Add Hardware Wizard. When prompted, select yes, you have already connected the device.
6. Select any of your yellow question-marked adapters/devices, and click next.
7. You will get a message saying the drivers have not been installed. Click finish.
8. The Hardware Update Wizard will launch. select no, not this time when asked about connecting to the internet, and click next.
9. Select install from a specified location.
10. On the next page, check Search for the best driver in these locations, uncheck Search removable media, and check Include this location.
11. Either enter the directory for the folder on your desktop in the drop-down box, or use to Browse button to navigate to it. Assuming you've done this right, you should just be able to select the desktop folder and click OK.
12. Click next.
13. The wizard should simply locate and install the drivers.

NOTE: it's possible that some drivers will overwrite some others if your are extracting every installer one by one. I recommend that you bear this in mind if your first attempt fails.

Although all the drivers are on the OSX disc, they can't be read by the wizard because they are bundled up and compressed in installation exe's, which in turn don't seem to work very well. By extracting them, you make it possible for the wizard to just find the relevant drivers.

This has worked for my ethernet and wireless drivers, my bluetooth drivers and my iSight drivers. The only one I'm still having some trouble with is the Video Controller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.