Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
Missouri
The title is probably misleading (as there are many people wanting helpon whether to buy a product or not). I am just ranting about the price differenced between the iBook and the 12in Powerbook. For $270 more you get 802.11g, G4 w/ altivec, DDR226 with the 12" Powerbook. Take away the Apple Ram and go 3rd party and these would be closer together. This seems like a blunder on Apple's part.

I did change the specs some, but no more than the average consumer would.

I also apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Attachments

• notebook.jpg
    notebook.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 494

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
are you complaining that the PB is relatively underpowered or iBook is relatively expensive..?

i assume the latter... and i personally believe that unless you are really hurting for cash, 12" PB is a great buy over any iBook. (it can even be argued that 12" PB isn't really a PB but a G4 iBook... i don't really care as it's pretty much a matter of semantics.)

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
And don't forget that your extra $270 also buys you a significant keyboard upgrade and the option to make grilled cheese sandwiches on your toasty left wrist rest.

I've had my 12" PB for 43 days now, and I've yet to go hungry.

skychum

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2003
Sacramento, CA
It seems to me that the screen on the Powerbook is brighter, but I haven't had a side-by-side comparison. The Powerbook has a slot-loading cd-drive, which some people may prefer.

The iBook is a low-power (as in wattage) and cooler (temperature) machine, and is supposedly more durable.

Performance-wise, they are very similar (but dissimilar enough to justify the price difference). The Powerbook only stands out in Altivec tests (see comparison tests here and here), but the faster clock-speed on the iBook gives it an advantage in most desktop tasks.
The 802.11g standard (airport extreme) performs only at about double the speed of 802.11b standard (airport) on mixed a/b/g networks. See slashdot article.

I'd agree that the PB 12" is an iBook with a G4, but a lot pf people want that. In a few months, both lines will be upgraded, and I think that if Apple keeps putting IBM's newer G3's in the iBook, it will soon close the gap.

Deffinately buy memory from a third-party. It'll save you money for other things, like an iPod, or a G4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.