Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I got a black refurb MB a few days ago, and the moment I turned it on I got the screen flickering issue within a minute of booting it up. If you're not familiar with this, just do a search for "macbook screen flickering" here, or in Google. I guess that's why it was a refurb. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Anyway, so I wasn't aware of this issue before I made my purchase. It doesn't affect all MBs, but from all that I've read around the web it's an issue that isn't being acknowledged by Apple, and there's just too many reports from people waiting up to 2 weeks while it's repaired, only to have the problem come back.

So I'm looking for opinions on what to do, as I'm not that familiar with Apple's return policies, etc.

On the one hand, I'm ready to just return it and eat the 10% restocking fee ($100 in my case), then just grab one of the new white MBs and be done with it.

On the other hand, I just don't feel this is right. I just bought this, and it's got issues out of the box. The $100 restocking fee itself isn't the issue, it's the principal of it. When I checked the return of defective items section of Apple's website (I still have 12 days to return it for a refund) they just refer you to their service centers to have it repaired. And I won't go into the plethora of nightmare stories I've heard from people showing up at the Apple store to have the issue not occur, because it is random. They just get sent home with a big SOL. Also, two weeks is a chunk to wait for them to fix it, only to have the problem re-surface again. Not to mention the risk of anything else happening to it during the actual repair.

So I guess my question is, if I call the Apple store and plead my case, do you think they would be willing to take it back for a full credit towards another new MB? I'm just concerned over giving them my info, denying my request, and then flagging that MB as defective and un-returnable. I feel like I just fell for a trap, so I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
You may be able to convince them to allow you to use that as a credit towards a new MacBook, but I wouldn't be surprised if they want to charge you shipping to have it sent back (unless you bought it at a retail store, and I honestly have no idea whether or not they even sell referbs out of their stores).

I had a 23 inch cinema display that had 4-6 stuck pixels right out of the box. I was annoyed and tried to just have it serviced, but they wouldn't do anything. SO, I returned it but got screwed with the 75 dollars I had to pay to ship the POS back. :)

With that said- Good luck!

WOZhipper

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Mexico
take it to the genius bar and ask them to change the Inverter cable and the inverter board..... no more flicker...

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
DOA it with Applecare? It's a hardware malfunction ffs you shouldn't even consider talking about restocking fees or paying shipping charges back. You got a DEFECTIVE unit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.