Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
'EVE Online, has announced the release of a Mac client for the game next week.

The update will come in the form of a new patch for the client (called Trinity), which will also feature new ingame ships, lots of new items, and updated graphics textures. I've only just recently gotten into EVE Online, but it's a good time for a space-based MMO-- really complex economy, harsh PvP, and excellent skill system. I know some Mac users have already been playing it with Boot Camp and Parallels, but it'll be nice to finally have a native Mac client.'
http://www.tuaw.com/http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=626236&page=2#53

forrestmc4

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Washington, DC
I might be interested in EVE could someone who has spent some time with the game give me some info regarding say PvP style, community, and skill system. Is this an easy game to pick up and play casually?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
You can download the Mac client right now for Multiplicity (the test server). Doesn't work unless you had an active account on Oct 2nd though.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Downloading it now.

As for whether it's casual and easy to play.. Uhm, the simple answer is no.

Technically it IS casual, due to the skill system. You can progress your character while offline because you 'learn' new skills in real time.

Still, it's not a basic game but nearly endlessly complex. EVE is also highly PvP-centric, with most of the game revolving around alliances (corporation/guild conglomerates) at war. Of course, you can be a 'carebear' and stick to the safer high-security areas as well, but heed the notion of Risk Vs. Reward.

Don't let all this stuff put you off though. Once you get into it, get someone to help you (loads of people are ready to spend currency on new pilots) and start finding a direction for yourself, you'll love it.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
This sounds very interesting and I am going to consider this for my next game.

It almost seems like that online game of Escape Velocity everyone wanted.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
This sounds very interesting and I am going to consider this for my next game.

It almost seems like that online game of Escape Velocity everyone wanted.

Something to that effect, yeah. It really depends on what you want to do. You can mission grind, trade, manufacture, pirate, etc... I wind up doing traiding to make ISK and put around with whatever I want to do outside of that time... PvP, Pirating, doing deep-space trading through pirate gate camps, etc.

voyagerd said:
You can pay for different time intervals, the longer you pay for, the cheaper per month it is. It is $14.95 for one month.

Also, there is no fee to try, and all releases/expansions are free. So the upshot is that they don't charge you twice (once to buy the dead dinosaur disc, and another time to connect to the server).

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Yeah, you can get a 2-week trial without the use of a credit card.

I think the fee works out to about £6.50 per month. Although the drop is quite dramatic if you buy in 3-month wedges.

Btw, be warned, space is harsh and the loss of a ship can be costly. Due to some magical cloning technology you yourself can't die outright.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Mac client is a fabulous news. Finally I will be able to get rid of my Boot Camp partition for good.

EVE is possibly the best MMO out there bar none.

It is really focused on player interaction, not on world resource farming and playing against the computer. What I really like about EVE is that you actually have to risk something in order to gain something. A ship or equipment loss can be quite costly, and there is even a possibility that your character will lose some of the skills.

Unlike many other games, EVE does not make "rogue" strategies illegal. You can steal, plot, scam, back-stab - all of this is within the game rules. I have tried WoW, and found it quite limiting and repetitive in comparison (though it is not a bad game, of course)...

Speaking of subscription cost, you can actually pay for your game time with in-world currency (i.e. you can theoretically play for free!). Of course, that takes a fair amount of currency (ISK).

Finally, a shameless plug... Check out Ebay for my recently written guide to EVE (designed on the Mac in Pages!). It documents the methods I used to build a "nest egg" of about 400 billion ISK. I do not want to link to this guide directly, but it is the... more expensive one. One last copy remaining :D

DrBunsenHoneyde

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
OK I may aswell respond here seeing as I am a long term player of eve, I played through the beta of eve and ever since that, so that works out at something like 4-5 years I have been in the game with the odd break here and there.

It is a very complex game, if you want it to be. Simply you can make of the game what ever you want of it. You can make it a simple game that you log into a few times a week and just go around shooting things or you can make it the most complex game which could involve being a corporate director running industrial operations, controlling player outposts, trading, pirating, being a fleet operator, CEO of a corporation and so on untill your brain explodes. You could even do all that at once lol.

If any new gamers to eve would like any help or some body to talk to while playing please contact me via eve-mail (you will know what that is once you start playing) I can help with pretty much anything, I was part of a new player corporation for around a year where we helped train people in the ropes of the game and get used to what was happening.

My ingame name is Scorp again you will know what to do to contact me once you are in the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.