Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killa88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Scrubs has been on iTunes for a little over a day now and the first episode is already the 6th most downloaded TV episode and the season pass for Scrubs is the most downloaded out of any show. I'm sure this would be the case with Heroes and The Office if they were still on iTunes..

Stupid move NBC taking your content off of iTunes...

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I really don't get the problem everyone has with NBC.

So what if they don't want to sell their shows via iTunes? There's no law forcing content creators to distribute via iTunes; if they'd rather create their own network or stream the shows for free, let them. You can still watch them if you'd like.

NBC is in business to make money and they're trying to make more of it; if what they're doing doesn't work as they expected, I'm sure we'll see their stable of shows back on iTunes and I'm sure everyone complaining will start buying them again...

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Scrubs is produced by ABC Studios, so it really is owned by Disney. And we all know who sits on Disney's board of directors.

As far as iTunes is concerned, there is no conflict of interest because the majority of the show's rights are owned by Disney - NBC Universal only owns a minority of the show's rights. The iTunes contracts are with the company who produces the show, not with the network on which they are broadcast.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I really don't get the problem everyone has with NBC.

So what if they don't want to sell their shows via iTunes? There's no law forcing content creators to distribute via iTunes; if they'd rather create their own network or stream the shows for free, let them. You can still watch them if you'd like.

NBC is in business to make money and they're trying to make more of it; if what they're doing doesn't work as they expected, I'm sure we'll see their stable of shows back on iTunes and I'm sure everyone complaining will start buying them again...

You're right, NBC can do what they like. And all the anti-NBC threads are getting old... My thing is that, because of my schedule, iTunes is the only way I can watch the TV shows I want. So if they aren't on iTunes I can't watch them. I really got into Heros last season, but this season I just had to give up on it. It's no big deal, I just found other stuff to watch.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
You're right, NBC can do what they like. And all the anti-NBC threads are getting old... My thing is that, because of my schedule, iTunes is the only way I can watch the TV shows I want. So if they aren't on iTunes I can't watch them. I really got into Heros last season, but this season I just had to give up on it. It's no big deal, I just found other stuff to watch.

There's always streaming.

Of you could invest in a low cost VCR (or higher cost EyeTV).

But the fact of the matter is, if NBC sees their action are causing folks like you to stop watching the shows, they'll probably realize their mistake.

If it happens that they actually get more viewers somehow, then they'll feel justified.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

Who ever said they couldn't? Of course they can. And of course we can complain about it and give the opinion that we think it's stupid.

Personally, I think they're just encouraging people who were willing to pay cash to pirate the shows instead. It's cool that they have streaming versions, even with the commercials, but without a way to watch it on a *television* (much less on any portable devices) it's a non starter for me.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Does anybody else have a problem acccessing shows on NBC.com as of this weekend? Suddenly it stopped working on my macs. Go to nbc.com in Safari and roll over the 'watch video' dropdown. It doesn't seem to drop down anymore. And if you get to the right page by other means, it says you don't have the latest version of flash.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i just pulled up the most recent 30 Rock from the NBC.com website, so it still works for me. for the record, i'm running Safari 3.0.4 in Mac OS X 10.5 and i have the latest version of Flash.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Does anybody else have a problem acccessing shows on NBC.com as of this weekend? Suddenly it stopped working on my macs. Go to nbc.com in Safari and roll over the 'watch video' dropdown. It doesn't seem to drop down anymore. And if you get to the right page by other means, it says you don't have the latest version of flash.
About a week or two ago, NBC.com was down for many folks, Windows and Mac alike. I did some searching on the internet and found that there were problems with IE and Safari. I downloaded Firefox and it worked.

Last week, it worked fine with Safari.

ft

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
NBC hit now with double whammy

How poetic that NBC is getting ready to launch their own video download service, after pulling their videos from iTunes, and this little writer's strike just comes along. Oh man that has got to hurt... they get greedy and bail on Apple, and now they're launching a service and... OOPS! The threat of "no new content" is just too perfect.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
How poetic that NBC is getting ready to launch their own video download service, after pulling their videos from iTunes, and this little writer's strike just comes along. Oh man that has got to hurt... they get greedy and bail on Apple, and now they're launching a service and... OOPS! The threat of "no new content" is just too perfect.

Perhaps I'm too easily drawn into conspiracy theories, but what about this thought?

The writers demand higher compensation due to increased revenues from DVDs and online download/streaming services. NBC comes out and claims that their venture with iTMS netted only $15 million in revenues (no claim about profits). Their Hulu venture is bound to lose money for a little while.

So when the whole Writer's Strike debacle goes into arbitration or something, NBC (and I suppose the other Networks) can claim that there is no money in DVDs and downloads.

Things get straightened out and the shows are back on iTunes.

ft

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage

Just go to NBC.com and watch any of their shows anytime. That's what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.