PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to return my recalled Powerbook G4 battery? (Apple Battery Recall)

RR08EvoX
Nov 2, 2007, 03:18 PM
I got a replacement apple g4 12" battery shipped to me after putting in my battery, computer, and shipping info into the apple support site. The notice in the box says I should return the recalled battery. Do I really need to do this?

They don't have my credit card information or anything so how would they charge me if I didn't return it. I want to just keep it as a backup in case I ever need it. I've never had any problems with it so I'd rather not return it.

Has anyone kept the recalled battery? Did apple ever contact you about it?

mrkramer
Nov 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know if the will contact you, but that battery would be a bad idea to keep since I think those were the ones that sometimes blow up.

RR08EvoX
Nov 2, 2007, 03:38 PM
I just talked to my friend who said he got a replacement ibook battery about 2 months ago and kept the old one. He says he still hasn't heard anything from apple.

Has anyone ever been contacted by apple after keeping their old battery after getting a recall replacement?

WildCowboy
Nov 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
Why would you want to keep a product that has been known to explode/catch fire? Sure, it probably wouldn't happen to you, but they issued the recall for a reason. It's not worth it...just return the thing and be happy they're taking it off your hands and out of your house.

polycat33
Nov 2, 2007, 04:53 PM
I agree, they're taking it for you as a service, to dispose of correctly since it should not be used. It would be pretty bad for you to have gone through the whole recall process, gotten a new battery, and then burnt down your house while using the old battery as backup.

Anorion
Nov 2, 2007, 05:06 PM
Laptop batteries contain lithium, which can be pretty nasty to clean up, once it gets out of the casing. By sending it back to Apple, you have some assurance that it will be disposed of properly, and not become a hazardous mess.

e12a
Nov 2, 2007, 05:12 PM
this is like deciding to keep a car that has been recalled because it can explode at any time. Dumb idea, but if you want to deal with the consequences of it then go ahead.

RR08EvoX
Nov 3, 2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, lets take this from the standpoint, I dont care about safety issues. I'm simply asking if anyone else has not returned the battery and did apple ever contact you?

Fimo
Nov 4, 2007, 01:14 AM
Ok, lets take this from the standpoint, I dont care about safety issues. I'm simply asking if anyone else has not returned the battery and did apple ever contact you?

I still have mine, but I am in Canada and AFAIK, Apple doesn't send us those prepaid return shipment labels to send back the old battery, well they didn't send me one and I haven't heard from them as yet!

Of course with over 600 cycles on that battery I don't use it anymore, not as efficient as it used to be and not worth the risk of it blowing up in my face!