PDA

View Full Version : AT&T International iPhone Data Plan, iTunes Radio

jecapaga
Nov 2, 2007, 12:05 PM
Didn't see this posted yet...from AT&T site: EDIT: And what is iTunes radio usage for the iphone?

iPhone International Data

While using data on iPhone is free within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, International data roaming can get expensive quickly. Consider that just 20 minutes of iTunes® radio takes 20MB of data. That's why AT&T has created two iPhone International packages with more reasonable rates in 29 countries*.
There are two packages available:

$24.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 20MB** of usage within 29 countries*
$59.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 50MB*** of usage within 29 countries*

AT&T offers these iPhone International traveling tips to help you keep control of data.

*Discounted countries include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan. These countries are subject to change. Please view DataConnect Global "Select" countries for an accurate list.

**20MB Plan:
Overage rate is $.005/KB within the 29 discounted countries.
Rate outside these 29 countries is $.0195/KB.

***50MB Plan:
Overage rate is $.005/KB within the 29 discounted countries.
Rate outside the 29 countries is $.010/KB except in Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Brunei, Chile, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Macau, Macedonia (former Yugoslavia), Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Venezuela where the rate is $.0195/KB.

Please Note:
1MB = 1024KB
$.0195/KB = about $20/MB
$.010/KB = about $10/MB
$.005/KB = about $5/MB

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp?WT.svl=calltoaction#iphone-international

MacRumors
Nov 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

AT&T has announced new international data plans (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp?WT.svl=calltoaction#iphone-international) for iPhone users who are looking for a more affordable alternative than data roaming (other than swapping out for a local carrier's SIM).

* $24.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 20MB of usage within 29 countries
* $59.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 50MB of usage within 29 countries

The 29 countries mentioned include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan.

AT&T cryptically mentions that "iTunes Radio" can use up data quickly (1 MB/minute) as one of its reasons for offering the service. However, "iTunes Radio" currently does not exist on the iPhone, leaving questions as to what was meant by the reference.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/11/02/atandt-international-iphone-data-plan-itunes-radio/)

spazzcat
Nov 2, 2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe they are going to open up the store to edge?

atari1356
Nov 2, 2007, 03:58 PM
Streaming radio on my iPhone?

Yes, please. :) I'd love to listen to the local college radio with it - along with a reggae station that I like.

... maybe there will be a 3rd party app after the SDK in February to record streaming radio?

naroola
Nov 2, 2007, 04:03 PM
A new Software update for iPhone to come which would include the radio channels we have on iTunes already. A shiny new icon on the iPhone! Could it be true??? :D

Also, are these prices in addition to the $20/month I am already paying on the iPhone AND do I need to sign up for another contract for this?

justflie
Nov 2, 2007, 04:20 PM
Sweet, it sounds like we'll be able to stream internet radio to our phones. I just hope it works over EDGE, that would be hot.

Decrepit
Nov 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
I wonder how well radio would work in the iPhone. It would rule if it works though.

I could use radio access sometimes, and not carrying an extra one would be really nice.

RichP
Nov 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
Not bad...although a better plan would be if you could "pre-purchase" a block of international data usage. Load up your phone before you leave. (otherwise, it would a lot of activating and deactivating assuming you aren't traveling constantly)

zombitronic
Nov 2, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sweet, it sounds like we'll be able to stream internet radio to our phones. I just hope it works over EDGE, that would be hot.

Streaming audio over EDGE? I wouldn't count on it, but I'll gladly stream it through WiFi, for now.

CJD2112
Nov 2, 2007, 05:01 PM
Apple is releasing iTunes 7.5 next week, and every month there is apparently a new iPhone firmware update. Maybe iTunes Radio will be a new application on the iPhone, time will tell.

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 05:01 PM
Streaming audio over EDGE? I wouldn't count on it, but I'll gladly stream it through WiFi, for now.

some guy on these forums was saying he used to stream his slingbox player over edge ....

rafdesign
Nov 2, 2007, 05:12 PM
Sounds like Apple and AT&T are really not listening to each other...
Like this morning, I went to the Apple store in Santa Monica. AT&T told me that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because it's not working properly. So Apple will be kind to replace the 4GB with a 8GB... so the Apple store manager, Mr. Jeff W., said it wasn't true! So I called right back AT&T and they said it was true... But the manager repeats it's not true. Very Kafka scene... So I am back with my 3rd 4GB iPhone... The Apple manager even offered me to buy an 8GB model for the old price of $599!!! That made me not very happy. Can you believe that AT&T confirmed me twice that the 4GB model has been discontinued because it's full of flaws. But Apple denies! Do the test yourself call AT&T...
And I was one of the first to get an iPhone at the store. Crap :(

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 05:16 PM
Like this morning, I went to the Apple store in Santa Monica. AT&T told me that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because it's not working properly. So Apple will be kind to replace the 4GB with a 8GB... so the Apple store manager, Mr. Jeff W., said it wasn't true! So I called right back AT&T and they said it was true... But the manager repeats it's not true. Very Kafka scene... So I am back with my 3rd 4GB iPhone... The Apple manager even offered me to buy an 8GB model for the old price of $599!!! That made me not very happy. Can you believe that AT&T confirmed me twice that the 4GB model has been discontinued because it's full of flaws. But Apple denies! Do the test yourself call AT&T...

I don't buy that ... plenty of people have the 4gb iphone and it works fine.... it was discontinued because it wasn't as popular ....

I also don't trust phone companies...

chr1s60
Nov 2, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hmmm. Streaming radio on my iPhone isn't something I need, but I would use it if it was available.

CBraun53
Nov 2, 2007, 05:25 PM
some guy on these forums was saying he used to stream his slingbox player over edge ....

that would be me, and yea I used slingplayer on my treo 650 on sprint's slow network. Video was decent, but if you turned the video off and just wanted the audio then it worked great, so you could stream radio to the iphone.

rafdesign
Nov 2, 2007, 05:30 PM
I don't buy that ... plenty of people have the 4gb iphone and it works fine.... it was discontinued because it wasn't as popular ....

I also don't trust phone companies...

If you don't trust that story and own a 4GB model, just call AT&T '611' today.
But I agree with you that in the end I don't trust the phone companies, neither Apple anymore.
Rafael, a mac user since 1986.

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 05:33 PM
If you don't trust that story and own a 4GB model, just call AT&T '611' today.
But I agree with you that in the end I don't trust the phone companies, neither Apple anymore.
Rafael, a mac user since 1986.

no, its not that i don't trust you.... i don't trust ATT, and don't believe what they're saying ....

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 05:34 PM
that would be me, and yea I used slingplayer on my treo 650 on sprint's slow network. Video was decent, but if you turned the video off and just wanted the audio then it worked great, so you could stream radio to the iphone.

well hello again :D

rafdesign
Nov 2, 2007, 05:38 PM
Let's start recording our AT&T customers services 'experiences' and make a website with a collection of those "Most funny american AT&T jokes"..

btw, am I the only one complaining about my iPhone?! I love Apple products (usually).

zombitronic
Nov 2, 2007, 05:45 PM

Can you give us any info on the quality, or kbps while streaming audio over EDGE?

If this could work, I'd be a very happy camper. I wonder how this would affect battery life. I'd assume it would drain it a little faster than just playing back audio stored on the phone, since it would be using network resources, as well.

PupnTaco
Nov 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
Still no unlimited int'l data plan. :(

daneoni
Nov 2, 2007, 06:06 PM

Yeah....i don't see that one happening for another few years

Buschmaster
Nov 2, 2007, 06:10 PM
Of course it'd be available over EDGE, or AT&T wouldn't waste their breathe talking about it...

ariza910
Nov 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
maybe ATT is being way to technical and their reference to "radio" is the actual GSM/Edge radio chip in the iPhone not Internet radio as we all assume it is.

So really what ATT could be saying is that 20min of accessing iTunes through the GSM/Edge radio = 20MB of data

I am still holding out for iTunes Radio on the iPhone though - I would love to see that feature. Not to mention it would really mess with the music labels saying that iPods success is somehow dependent on the availability of their music and videos through iTunes.

ben5959
Nov 2, 2007, 06:35 PM
THEY'VE UPDATED THEIR SITE, It doesnt say anything about Itunes Radio anymore!!!!! Either it was a huge typo on their part, or theyre admitting that they let the cat out of the bag about something HUGE and apple made them take it off!!!! so exciting

now all it says is:
"While using data on iPhone is free within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, International data roaming can get expensive quickly. That's why AT&T has created two iPhone International packages with more reasonable rates in 29 countries*.
There are two packages available"

FreeState
Nov 2, 2007, 07:01 PM
maybe ATT is being way to technical and their reference to "radio" is the actual GSM/Edge radio chip in the iPhone not Internet radio as we all assume it is.

Couldn't be - it said "iTunes Radio"

megfilmworks
Nov 2, 2007, 07:28 PM
Maybe you misunderstood. Why would he try to sell you an iPhone for more than the retail price? Something is not right.

neven
Nov 2, 2007, 07:34 PM
Remember that if this iTunes-Radio-over-EDGE feature really appears, it'll mean you won't be able to send or receive phone calls while you're using it. That might make it a little less useful.

megfilmworks
Nov 2, 2007, 07:46 PM
Remember that if this iTunes-Radio-over-EDGE feature really appears, it'll mean you won't be able to send or receive phone calls while you're using it. That might make it a little less useful.

That's a good point.

Dagless
Nov 2, 2007, 07:46 PM
Radio sounds very good indeed. But, alas, in the UK we're limited to 200mb a month so screw that :)

I hope radio makes its way to the iPod Touch for use in Wifi hotspots like.

odedia
Nov 2, 2007, 08:08 PM
This deserves the front page news, don't you think? :)

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 08:23 PM
This deserves the front page news,no don't you think? :)

no

SilvorX
Nov 2, 2007, 08:28 PM
It's cheaper for someone to add the 20mb data package and roam in Canada than it is to get an actual data package in Canada.. wow

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 08:30 PM
It's cheaper for someone to add the 20mb data package and roam in Canada than it is to get an actual data package in Canada.. wow

ha, I think rogers has you by the balls...

Jade Cambell
Nov 2, 2007, 09:13 PM
So, the 20mb data plan is $24.99. Is that in addition to the $20.00 a month i'm already paying for Data?

GTiPhone
Nov 2, 2007, 09:20 PM
Looks like iTunes radio is on its way to iPhone and iPod touch. Thatd be my giess.

And my 4 gig has worked famously since iDay.

boss1
Nov 2, 2007, 09:48 PM

I was under the impression that changed. Somehow, lately my calls have been coming through fine, even while browsing Safari even while pages are loading. Somehow it seems Edge takes a back seat and allows the calls to come in.

about the AT&T blurb:
If my memory serves me right, Isn't this type of thing one of the reasons Apple stopped doing business with ATI for a brief period a few years back? Well in ATI's case, they kept letting out graphic card specs prematurely and it pissed Steve off to the point that he retaliated publicly at a Keynote err something.

Anyway, I would love to see iTunes Wifi be Edge compatible and Radio also. It's very doable imo . Heck if iPhone can load YouTube video fairly quickly over Edge why couldn't it do streaming audio?

Rocketman
Nov 2, 2007, 10:03 PM
I don't want streaming radio.

I want store forward radio programs, from the top 50 syndicated radio programs, available from any iTunes access point, anytime after 5 minutes from when it commences airing. Leave in the commercials, fine.

Satellite radio killer. Broadcast radio killer. Heck, charge me an access fee on a per program basis of 99 cents and pay 70% to the syndicater which is more than they get now. AND the ad revenue.

And radio DVR.

Rocketman

Analog Kid
Nov 2, 2007, 10:12 PM
iTunes Radio is most likely some sort of subscription service, not internet radio. I can't imagine AT&T letting people keep their phones connected continuously without some other revenue to compensate them for the air time.

Does anyone else find it strange that they'd make the futility of their plan so obvious? 20MB for 20min of iTR. Then they go and offer a plan that caps at that same 20 minutes... For $25, you get 20 minutes of iTR a month? After that, it's $5 a minute?

If you're in one of the not-29-countries, you're shelling out $20 a minute for radio.

I've never seen an ad go so far towards proving how silly the whole product is. If nothing else, that's enough reason to pull the iTR reference...

Drumjim85
Nov 2, 2007, 10:16 PM
I don't want streaming radio.

I want store forward radio programs, from the top 50 syndicated radio programs, available from any iTunes access point, anytime after 5 minutes from when it commences airing. Leave in the commercials, fine.

Satellite radio killer. Broadcast radio killer. Heck, charge me an access fee on a per program basis of 99 cents and pay 70% to the syndicater which is more than they get now. AND the ad revenue.

And radio DVR.

Rocketman

and i want to send people to saturn, but you have to start somewhere...

MacinDoc
Nov 2, 2007, 11:50 PM
Looks like iTunes radio is on its way to iPhone and iPod touch. Thatd be my giess.
That could be a new feature of iTunes 7.5, which is due for release any day now.

Edit: I wonder if as a Canadian, I can get an AT&T account and an iPhone. The cost of roaming on AT&T with this new international data feature couldn't be more than Rogers would charge for voice and data anyway, could it? :rolleyes:

Jade Cambell
Nov 3, 2007, 01:23 AM
Where do I view my Rollover Minutes? I should have like, 400 rollover minutes from my first month, but my AT&T account online says "91 of 450 minutes used" for this month.

winterspan
Nov 3, 2007, 01:27 AM
Oh thank you AT&T for the "reasonable rates" for using my iPhone when I go to my aunt's house across the pond.

Buying their "volume discount" package for $59.95 gets you 50 Megabytes of data = $1.20/MB.
Wow, what a ******* deal. Think of all the amazing things you can do while traveling with your iphone.

1) Use this apparent yet-to-be-released Itunes "radio" service over your iPhone.. for the low, low price of $1.20/min. And they created these 'special' plans because of this? WTF?

2) Everyone loves to browse the web right? Lets take a look at that...

Website__________Page Size _____________Cost PER PAGE LOAD
Apple.com________414KB = 0.41MB_________$0.50 [0.41MB * $1.20/MB]
NYTimes.com_____402KB = 0.40MB_________$0.50 [0.40MB * $1.20/MB]
Macrumors.com___235KB = 0.24MB_________$0.30 [0.24MB * $1.20/MB]

Now lets say it's time to get to work, and I need to review a small powerpoint show before a meeting, but I can't find a free wifi hotspot.
Or lets say my friend emails me a small set of vacation photos he took with his digital camera:

Powerpoint attachment OR set of ~10 vacation photos (9MB) = That will cost you $10.80 !!!

Also I love their clever use of kilobyte units in their overage rate to disguise the *REAL* RIPOFF to the average consumer. "wow $.005 can't be too bad"

Well, actually, $.005/KB * 1000 = $5.00/MB. FIVE DOLLARS a megabyte! Seriously, how long does it take to go through 50 Megabytes...
People will be hitting this overage all the time. It's OUTRAGEOUS!
So when traveling, after you have used up your drop-in-the-bucket data allotment, be prepared to have that overage fee make you CRY:

* $5.00/min to listen to iTunes radio
* $2.00 PER PAGE to read Nytimes.com
* $45.00 to download that Powerpoint attachment
* $45.00 to download that set of Digicam vacation photos

And remember, the $59.95 is on top off your already $50-80 bill.
So You are already paying an arm and a leg and then they have the **** nerve to charge you $5.00/MB overage!!!!!!!WTF?

People need to BOYCOTT these outrageous fees! Vote with your wallet!

winterspan
Nov 3, 2007, 01:37 AM
I was under the impression that changed. Somehow, lately my calls have been coming through fine, even while browsing Safari even while pages are loading. Somehow it seems Edge takes a back seat and allows the calls to come in.

Technical specifications can't just "change" on a whim. EDGE/GPRS uses the GSM radio to download data thus negating ANY possibility of being on a phone call (using the GSM radio) while simultaneously loading data. Obviously this would kill the idea of an iTunes radio on EDGE.
Now of course you can receive a phone call while you have Safari OPEN and NOT loading data.

Thats one of the benefits of '3G' UMTS/HSDPA in that you have separate channels for voice and data and both can be used simultaneously.
Even with a 3G iPhone, I can't Imagine AT&T would be encouraging constant streaming of radio on the iPhone. That part baffles me.

winterspan
Nov 3, 2007, 01:41 AM
Where do I view my Rollover Minutes? I should have like, 400 rollover minutes from my first month, but my AT&T account online says "91 of 450 minutes used" for this month.

don't know.. off-topic?

shemp9999
Nov 3, 2007, 03:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that just like the iphone version of the itunes store, itunes radio will be a wi-fi only thing. still nice if it's true.

Orup70
Nov 3, 2007, 04:32 AM
Oh thank you AT&T for the "reasonable rates" for using my iPhone when I go to my aunt's house across the pond.

[... snip ... ]

* $5.00/min to listen to iTunes radio
* $2.00 PER PAGE to read Nytimes.com
* $45.00 to download that Powerpoint attachment
* $45.00 to download that set of Digicam vacation photos

And remember, the $59.95 is on top off your already $50-80 bill.
So You are already paying an arm and a leg and then they have the **** nerve to charge you $5.00/MB overage!!!!!!!WTF?

People need to BOYCOTT these outrageous fees! Vote with your wallet!

Completely agree the prices are outrageous, but what would the price be without the international data plan? The problem is that international data roaming is extremely expensive, in almost any country with practically all the operators – it's not just AT&T.

What would the normal data roaming price be for the above examples? I'm sure they would be quite a lot more. And one of the main reason is that AT&T is beeing charged ridiculous prices by the other carriers (and vice versa of course).

It's a general greed problem of the carrier "community". But device like the iPhone is revealing the issue and will put pressure on the carriers to lower the prices (sometime in a distant future).

Today, unfortunately, only "international business people" would benefit from the new AT&T international data package. They are getting ripped off a little bit less than before... :cool:

/ Påhl

sanford
Nov 3, 2007, 05:29 AM
Let's start recording our AT&T customers services 'experiences' and make a website with a collection of those "Most funny american AT&T jokes"..

btw, am I the only one complaining about my iPhone?! I love Apple products (usually).

Every time I've called ATT and Apple about something new or particular with the iPhone, ATT has known before Apple what's up.

I'd call 611 and ask about 4GB now but they're closed.

As for the international data plans, if they're like the international roaming rate packages, you can just add them and take them off your account as needed, when you travel. Probably a month minimum. That's if they're like international voice roaming packages.

pake
Nov 3, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, about the prices...
Where I live our nice operators charge us the little and manageable price of 0.0033$ per KB and with a data plan it can get as low as 0.0021$/kb
What at&t expects you to play on roaming is not much more; you have to consider that the us has probably the best data plans in the world, we don't know such things as unlimited data....

I don't need to say that I must be really lost or really desperate if I start to use internet over edge.

ciscored
Nov 3, 2007, 08:25 PM
I Predict itunes radio, if it does happen will act much like the announced Starbucks partnership. There will be various stations or streams of music each pertaining to a different genre of music, the user will then be able to download the song they are listening to or even be able to tag it for a future download. Just my thought...

rstansby
Nov 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
Technical specifications can't just "change" on a whim. EDGE/GPRS uses the GSM radio to download data thus negating ANY possibility of being on a phone call (using the GSM radio) while simultaneously loading data. Obviously this would kill the idea of an iTunes radio on EDGE.
Now of course you can receive a phone call while you have Safari OPEN and NOT loading data.

Thats one of the benefits of '3G' UMTS/HSDPA in that you have separate channels for voice and data and both can be used simultaneously.
Even with a 3G iPhone, I can't Imagine AT&T would be encouraging constant streaming of radio on the iPhone. That part baffles me.

Just because you can't download data while making a call doesn't mean that the phone can't pause the download when you receive a call. I don't care if my web page continues to download while I'm on the phone, as long as the call doesn't go straight to voicemail.

CBraun53
Nov 3, 2007, 11:25 PM
Can you give us any info on the quality, or kbps while streaming audio over EDGE?

If this could work, I'd be a very happy camper. I wonder how this would affect battery life. I'd assume it would drain it a little faster than just playing back audio stored on the phone, since it would be using network resources, as well.

I can't remember the kbps but when it was just audio, it was pretty much flawless. When I had video playing for the first minute or two it would be very choppy but then after that it would steady out and the quality was decent. But again, when I turned the video off and it was just streaming the audio, the quality was very very good.

In terms of battery life, it drained my treo pretty quickly. I used slingbox to watch penguins games (hockey) which usually last about 2 hours and 30 min and my battery would be pretty much fully draiend after it. But that was with video, I am assuming it would have lasted longer if it would have been only audio.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, while using it I could not recieve phone calls, but being able to watch the games on the go was worth it for me. If the iTunes Radio can stream the penguins radio broadcasts I will be very happy. I'll be happier if slingbox comes out with Slingplayer for the iPhone.

winterspan
Nov 4, 2007, 04:31 AM
Just because you can't download data while making a call doesn't mean that the phone can't pause the download when you receive a call. I don't care if my web page continues to download while I'm on the phone, as long as the call doesn't go straight to voicemail.

You are correct in theory that the phone could close the data connection and receive the phone call, unfortunately however, this is not the way it works on the iPhone. I don't know if that is a technical problem with the radio technology or just lack of implementation. Obviously the inability to have a data connection and voice connection simultaneously wouldn't be a big deal if it was just a matter of being unable to download data while talking on the phone. Even the 'iTunes radio' would be work just fine. But having calls route directly to voicemail while using the internet is a total deal killer.
I brought this point up many times in discussion about the iPhone lacking a 3G/UMTS radio, but everyone was focusing on the speed difference versus EDGE instead of this point which I feel it much more important, especially with the much enhanced experience of using data services with the iPhone.

I actually wonder how many people know that they are not receiving phone calls when they are using the internet... I bet its easily under half....

SilvorX
Nov 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
ha, I think rogers has you by the balls...
Most data users yep, not myself thankfully, I've wheeled and dealed my way into some awesome services.

$100/month for very minimal data plus a 3 year contract attached to the data plan alone is a just pain in the arse for many users.

bitslap47
Nov 5, 2007, 06:30 AM
2 Quick things.

1 - Audio over EDGE works, and works well, even for 128K Streams.

2 - Some phones on the AT&T network pause data for incoming calls, some do not. It seems on some handsets that firmware upgrades solve the issue and allow incoming calls.

I know these 2 things because I wrote SiriusWM5 which allows streaming of Sirius Satellite Radio both at standard 32K and 128K. I used it daily, for at least 6 hours per day on my Windows Mobile phone prior to purchasing the iPhone.

On my site where the application is available for download (for free) I track user statistics, and one of those stats is whether or not they can receive calls while streaming. A large majority can. The audio pauses, the call comes in, then the audio resumes after the call is completed. There have also been many instances where firmware upgrades enable this on phones which previously could not receive calls while streaming.

I'll know the answer for the iPhone once the SDK is out, as streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC 24/7 to do it will be a priority.

winterspan
Nov 5, 2007, 03:52 PM
2 Quick things.

1 - Audio over EDGE works, and works well, even for 128K Streams.

2 - Some phones on the AT&T network pause data for incoming calls, some do not. It seems on some handsets that firmware upgrades solve the issue and allow incoming calls.

I know these 2 things because I wrote SiriusWM5 which allows streaming of Sirius Satellite Radio both at standard 32K and 128K. I used it daily, for at least 6 hours per day on my Windows Mobile phone prior to purchasing the iPhone.

On my site where the application is available for download (for free) I track user statistics, and one of those stats is whether or not they can receive calls while streaming. A large majority can. The audio pauses, the call comes in, then the audio resumes after the call is completed. There have also been many instances where firmware upgrades enable this on phones which previously could not receive calls while streaming.

I'll know the answer for the iPhone once the SDK is out, as streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC 24/7 to do it will be a priority.

I don't understand... Are you streaming sat radio from a receiver to your phone? for use with headphones while you work or something?

"streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC..."
Why would a PC be involved?

AHHHHH :eek::eek: lol

jtaylr77
Nov 6, 2007, 01:28 AM
What is strange is why would ATT mention anything about charges etc if it was using WiFi? Seems like it could be over EDGE or a 3G feature to come with v2.0

bitslap47
Nov 6, 2007, 06:28 AM
I don't understand... Are you streaming sat radio from a receiver to your phone? for use with headphones while you work or something?

"streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC..."
Why would a PC be involved?

AHHHHH :eek::eek: lol

Currently, the only way to stream Sirius to an iPhone is to run Orb and uSirius on a PC/Mac somewhere, then connect with your iPhone. The reason is that Sirius and XM only stream form their sites over the internet in Windows Media format (asf) which the iPhone cannot play... therefore it has to be transcoded.

Diatribe
Nov 6, 2007, 06:35 AM

In Europe they're actually trying to prohibit high roaming prices by law. One price for calls in entire Europe, now that'd be cool.

Juvenile
Nov 6, 2007, 09:22 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=382534