Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotsauce3868

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I was on the facebook, macrumors, and engadget, when all of a sudden i got the beach ball and everything froze. I shut the computer down by holding the power button because there was no other way to shut down the computer. I waited 10 minutes for the beach ball to stop but it did not. I went to turn my computer on and nothing happened. I only got the gray start-up screen. I was like, "Damn, this can't be good." So I put in the OS X install disc and went to disk utility and this is what I got:

Verify and Repair disk "Macintosh HD"
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

I was told this was a software related issue and to do a complete erase of the hard drive and install of OS X.
I did that and zeroed out all the data on the drive to get a fresh start.

When I went to install OS X on the formated "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" internal hard drive, on the screen for the install that says "Select a Destination," there are no volumes (hard drives) present. When I hook up my 160 GB Western Digital external drive, it appears as a volume but my internal hard drive does not. So I went online to find out what S.M.A.R.T. is and found that I could put a certain command in Terminal to find the S.M.A.R.T. status.

In Terminal I put diskutil info disk0.

I got:

Device Node: /dev/disk0
Device Identifier: disk0
Mount Point:
Volume Name:

Partition Type: GUID_partition_scheme
Bootable: Not Bootable
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: SATA
SMART Status: Verified

Total Size: 149.1 GB
Free Space: 0.0 B

Read Only: No
Ejectable: No
OS 9 Drivers: No
Low Level Format: Not Supported

I also tried to mount the internal disk using disk utility from the OS X install disk but I receive an error saying the disk could not be mounted.

I have a SR Macbook Pro. Does this mean my hard drive is dead because it is "Not Bootable."

This is an internal drive. Came with my Macbook Pro. It is a Fujitsu MHW2160BHPL Media. It had OS X installed.

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
We need a bit more information: Is this a new drive? Internal or external (it does say SATA but it's worth making sure)? Does it have OS X installed?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
FYI using the same command my results

Device Identifier: disk0
Device Node: /dev/disk0
Part Of Whole: disk0
Device / Media Name: WDC WD2500JS-40TGB0 Media

Volume Name:
Mount Point:

Partition Type: GUID_partition_scheme
Bootable: Not bootable
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: SATA
SMART Status: Verified

Total Size: 232.9 Gi (250059350016 B) (488397168 512-byte blocks)
Free Space: 0.0 B (0 B) (0 512-byte blocks)

Read Only: No
Ejectable: No
Whole: Yes
Internal: Yes
OS 9 Drivers: No
Low Level Format: Not Supported

And my drive is fine, totally bootable.

hotsauce3868

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Sure it matters because I cannot do anything with my hard drive. I get stuck at the gray start up screen.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, what are you actually doing? You're opening Terminal from somewhere, and you say you can't install the OS. Please explain everything from scratch :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
That is interesting because I cannot even install OS X.

Perhaps this is a different issue then. How are you trying, are there any errors. Yours doesn't say that it is an internal drive so is it external, if so what interface are you using. Basically any information you can think of that may be useful post and perhaps we can come up with a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.