PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Apple Employee Slams Company

asphalt-proof
Sep 12, 2003, 12:13 PM
I found this article on OSnews. It is linked from Wired news. Interesting insight into Apple's corporate culture during the late 80's to late 90's. Thought it might me of interest.
Pete

amin
Sep 12, 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by asphalt-proof
I found this article on OSnews. It is linked from Wired news. Interesting insight into Apple's corporate culture during the late 80's to late 90's. Thought it might me of interest.
Pete

:confused:

link?

sparkleytone
Sep 12, 2003, 12:45 PM
i think one of the funniest thing about this article is the fact that now he WORKS FOR PALM. talk about a complete lack of credibility in my opinion. still, i think he does shed some interesting light on apple without jobs.

http://apple.computerhistory.org/stories/storyReader$72

amin
Sep 12, 2003, 12:50 PM
I guess it wasn't that hard to find after all :o.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,60407,00.html

mainstreetmark
Sep 12, 2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah? So? Wasn't this mostly under the Scully administration?

avus
Sep 12, 2003, 01:41 PM
Two words: SOUR GRAPES :o

Frohickey
Sep 12, 2003, 01:55 PM
It could have been SOUR GRAPES, but he does make a point there.

Also, remember, this was all prior to 1997. Scully and others didn't really know how to lead the company, and how to rein in some of the talent. When you have a lot of prima donnas around, you need to focus them or else you end up getting lost.

I think things are better since Steve Jobs came by, though, there is still the overemphasis on industrial design.

Bob Knob
Sep 12, 2003, 04:41 PM
So, Michael Mace was at Apple during the dark days, now he's at Palm Source... I guess the the second rule of business is "Don't hire Michael Mace"
The first rule of course is "The customer is always right"

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 12, 2003, 05:24 PM
Wow. Such bitterness. I worked at an Apple Store for 18 months, and my experience there was nothing short of wonderful. They were great too employees and gave us a lot of free reign as to how to help customers. We even had Apple Store executives frequently visiting, talking to us, asking how things were going, and what we felt needed changing. Things have definitely improved since Mr. Miserable worked at Apple. He should exceedingly pleased with where Apple is now.

redAPPLE
Sep 13, 2003, 01:46 AM
the guy was not happy. that is basically it.

it happens. hope he is happier now, where he is.

killing time, till tuesday :rolleyes:

---

jefhatfield
Sep 15, 2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by avus
Two words: SOUR GRAPES :o

wha???

did you read the article?

it's not sour grapes at all...he's right in saying that apple didn't work together well, compete effectively against microsoft, but still had brilliant people

i like how, at the end of the article, apple is compared to lou reed...innovative and influential, but not the top commercial success

apple has spent most of their history as winners in the innovation sense and losers in the business sense...even now, macs are not more than five percent of the current market share and apple's stock value is very low...and that is likely to remain unchanged...in the war of the personal computer, the PC side won...if there is any sour grapes, it's mac users who can't stomach that we were outfoxed by evil bill...and evil mike dell ;)

i see apple as more like the great musicians on the buena vista club...great and influential, but largely unknown and not at all rich

steve jobs and steve wozniak may be worth somewhere between hundreds of millions up to a little over a billion, and that is good, but neither are worth tens of billions like microsoft co-founders paul allen and bill gates and when it's all said and done, what did bill and paul ever invent or who did they influence in the computer field?

and even many microsoft windows users often know that os x is way better, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that xp followed the look of os x's aqua

the two steves chose to make a great computer and operating system to empower the populace, microsoft chose to be the powerhouse of the industry...even if that meant they borrowed almost everything that made them money:p

ps...i also live just south of the silicon valley, and with the exception for four years away at school, i have been here 40 years and met many apple employees or ex-employees (and many other computer industry people on the pc side) and they have said the same thing...apple - great computers, but bad business sense