Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEASTMAN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Hello all, I just got my new macbook and I am having a problem with the bootcamp assistant. I put in a 160gb hd.

I have two partitions, my main drive is 115gb and my second is about 34gb. The smaller partition is set up for time machine so if I accedentally delete something I can recover it (not if my hd dies).

I want to set up about 25gbs for bootcamp and planned on using bootcamp assist to partition from the main partition. When I start the program up it tells me: The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

so does this mean I cannot have a time machine partition and bootcamp? I will have to reformat the whole drive to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Bootcamp requires that the drive is formatted as a single partition. Use disk utility to delete your current bootcamp partition, then expand your OS X partition to fill the whole drive. This shouldn't damage any data.

Then run Bootcamp assistant again.

BEASTMAN

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
after windows is installed i should be able to partition the time machine backup again correct? And if yes can i transfer what's on the backup already to an external hd and back again after the installation without problems? Thanks for the help even though these questions seem obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.