Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
I'm not really a gamer, but I'm curious to see what my nice shiny MBP with its 256 MB 8600M GT can actually do. I also get hooked on a game every couple of years (the last ones were Sim City 3000, Shogun & Quake II/III... yes I know that was a while ago:eek:) and I'm thinking it's about time I wasted some more quality time.

So please can someone recommend a game or two for me to try? My other requirements are:
  • Doesn't have to be free, but I should at least be able to download a free demo before parting with any cash.
  • I want to run it in OS X, not Windoze.
  • It must run well on my MBP (see sig).
  • Preferably something fairly up-to-date and not "retro".
Cheers :)
SL

EDIT: I'm not that bothered about any online/multiplayer stuff either. Thanks.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
world of warcraft-you can get the 10 day free trial
Empire earth 3

and if you want to use windows emu
try
Counter-strike source

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Civilization (demo) is a fun game if you're into strategy. Best strategy game I've ever played.

The Sims 2, and The Movies (demo) are also great, but there is no demo available for the Sims 2.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
Mac: Rally Shift by Code Blender. short, but fun nonetheless if you like rally games at all, and has a demo.

Windows: The Orange Box would give you hours of fun I am sure. Portal is a really fun/funny game.

Mac: Warcraft 3 is fun if you can find alot of people to play it with, like at LAN party's and stuff(i do this at my college about once a month, it's pretty cool with 8-16 people)

Mac: Diablo 2 is a classic.

Windows: Call Of Duty 4 has a demo out. It is getting really good reviews. Will probably be $50 for quite some time though since it just released. Played the demo though, and I was impressed.

Mac: Xmoto is a free game with hundreds of levels that people make. Pretty fun because it is challenging. Also it is free, so that is a plus.

Mac: other than that. UT2004, Gears of War(just wrote in the Epic forums today hoping to get some insight from Mark Rein what their plans for bringing it to the mac are, he posted in the forums a month ago and said they still plan to, but didn't say anything besides that), Guitar Hero 3

I don't know of many good racing games for the mac....sadly.:apple:

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I loved Prey and Doom 3.

There is also Freespace 2. That might not be as demanding, but the enhancements that you can download it let that old game shine again.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
I'm not really a gamer, but I'm curious to see what my nice shiny MBP with its 256 MB 8600M GT can actually do. I also get hooked on a game every couple of years (the last ones were Sim City 3000, Shogun & Quake II/III... yes I know that was a while ago:eek:) and I'm thinking it's about time I wasted some more quality time.

So please can someone recommend a game or two for me to try? My other requirements are:
  • Doesn't have to be free, but I should at least be able to download a free demo before parting with any cash.
  • I want to run it in OS X, not Windoze.
  • It must run well on my MBP (see sig).
  • Preferably something fairly up-to-date and not "retro".
Cheers :)
SL

EDIT: I'm not that bothered about any online/multiplayer stuff either. Thanks.

Bioshock(it's boot) but you will be glad you played it.game of the year and definitly great game.loved it
cheers!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
UT2004 is great. UT3 is coming, BUT UT2004 already has tons of free add-ons. (Demo is NOT Intel-friendly and will run slowly.) If you buy one game, buy this.

OR buy Quake Wars, which is coming soon apparently.

Prey is a lot of fun and looks awesome. That, Quake 4, and Doom 3 all have free demos.

World of Padman looks quite good and is totally free. It's based on Quake 3 if you liked that--but the graphics are better.

luffx

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
WI
I'm thinking it's about time I wasted some more quality time.

Well, if you want to waste your time and go down in a blaze of glory, I'd recommend an MMORPG.

Mac: World of Warcraft

Windows: Age of Conan (when it comes out).

Otherwise I'd say go for an FPS...

Mac: UT3 (when it comes out)

Windows: The Orange Box.

I would consider myself a hxc gamer, and to be honest, if you aren't looking to play on Windows....you aren't looking @ much. :(

vsp

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2004
Chico, Ca
Prey is a lot of fun and looks awesome. That, Quake 4, and Doom 3 all have free demos.

I looked all over but couldn't find a working Intel demo for Doom 3. I tried loading the PPC demo and running the revision update but that, apparently, isn't allowed.

Is there a Doom3 Intel demo I missed? I'd love to give it a try.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
'Hide The Sausage' or 'Naked Twister' although the game play is very similar to be honest.

asdasd616

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
I looked all over but couldn't find a working Intel demo for Doom 3. I tried loading the PPC demo and running the revision update but that, apparently, isn't allowed.

Is there a Doom3 Intel demo I missed? I'd love to give it a try.

No there is no Doom 3 intel demo, but Quake 4 demo seems to be universal if you want to see how well it runs, they both use similar engines.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
When it's out, definitely get StarCraft II, but until then, StarCraft and WarCraft III, while being quite old, and not exactly what you want, are 2 of the best PC/Mac games of all time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.