PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS?

MacRumors
Sep 12, 2003, 04:40 PM
MacMerc (http://www.macmerc.com/news/adobe/1062&mode=thread&order=0) expects that Photoshop 8 will be rebranded as Photoshop CS (Creative Suite), and is expected later this month at PhotoshopWorld.

trog
Sep 12, 2003, 04:42 PM
How about Photoshop C$ instead? ;)

arn
Sep 12, 2003, 04:47 PM
page 2, not because I don't believe it ... just not many details yet.

arn

bousozoku
Sep 12, 2003, 04:52 PM
Maybe it's just that ImageReady is a part of it?

I doubt they'll put more into it other than that. There is little competition to prompt change.

MOM
Sep 12, 2003, 05:31 PM
I wonder what the price will be. I think Adobe's biggest compitition for Photoshop 8 is Photoshop elements. Elements is enough for many folks, so maybe the packaging with the other apps will result in higher priced sales for those who need the full Photoshop, but only Photoshop and not the others. Then again, most creative types want photoshop and illustrater and maybe Adobe is getting them to try InDesign. I think this is good news as I bet the price for the full package will be good for most people who need all these apps anyway.

wuntrikpony
Sep 12, 2003, 05:35 PM
I just don't understand how this will fit into their product line. With the design packages, they are already bundling programs like PS, Illustrator, and InDesign together.

adamfilip
Sep 12, 2003, 06:06 PM
they already offer a set with Adobe Studio

this is no different and they will still over the programs seperately im sure..

killmoms
Sep 12, 2003, 08:07 PM
I just want a new Digital Video collection for the Mac. After Effects 6.0, Photoshop 8.0, and Illustrator 11 would be fine; I don't think there's a rule book that says there have to be 4 programs.

--Matt

wuntrikpony
Sep 12, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Cless
I just want a new Digital Video collection for the Mac. After Effects 6.0, Photoshop 8.0, and Illustrator 11 would be fine; I don't think there's a rule book that says there have to be 4 programs.

--Matt

Well it wouldn't be much of a DV collection without a video editing program. I am dissapointed too but good riddance to Premiere.

intastella
Sep 13, 2003, 12:38 AM
You think Adobe and Apple could get together a DV package with Final Cut Express or are they not close enough pals anymore?

I don't think it will happen but I think they could both benefit there. Apple would be making sure Adobe users keep Apple in mind for DV, and Adobe to fill a hole in their lineup and align themselves with the new "it-girl" in DV.

Wishful thinking.

stoid
Sep 13, 2003, 01:23 AM
I thought that Adobe had already officially axed Premiere for Mac OS X due to it's inability to compete with Final Cut Pro...

cb911
Sep 13, 2003, 03:53 AM
not looking forward to learning Photoshop 8... but i guess it'll be cool, so i hope it gets here fast!! :D

actionslacks
Sep 13, 2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by wuntrikpony
Well it wouldn't be much of a DV collection without a video editing program. I am dissapointed too but good riddance to Premiere.

your dissapointed and you say "good riddance to premiere"? ...that doesn't make sense.

By the way, Premiere was not that great at most things, but the new release is a huge improvement. Granted there is no need for it with the FCP "revolution", but alternatives to AVID are always nice. And, frankly, FCP still has huge issues to solve in terms of data/footage management if it ever wants to compete with the big boys.

IT IS A BAD THING THAT ADOBE STOPS MAKING MAC VERSIONS OF THEIR PROGRAMS.

Photoshop will have a MAC version (until Apple screws themselves by introducing a counterpart), but everytime an Adobe app stops updating for the MAC it is BAD news.

mangoman
Sep 13, 2003, 09:20 AM
InD 3. Right on! Man, what a great app. As a full-time design pro', I've locked in to InD and never looked back, unless of course we've got some ol' hag of a job in the archives that needs updated in (dare I say the dirty word) Quark. I'm even using InD for one or two page layouts these days and leaving Freehand MX alone. InD just looks better, handles better, and the interface blows the doors off of Freehand MX's. Not sure what MacroIdiots were thinking when they revamped that one, but it appears that the new Studio MX 2004 doesn't include any new stuff for Freehand MX.

Booooooo!

Thinking out loud,

mm

blogo
Sep 13, 2003, 12:36 PM
Isnt freehand something ala illustrator?

Mudbug
Sep 13, 2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Eple
Isnt freehand something ala illustrator?

Freehand and illustrator are competitive versions of pretty much the same program. Save for some little nuance things that once can do and the other can't, and vice versa, they are virtually identicle.

Do a search on the boards for either and i'm sure you'll come across some serious arguements over which is better.

Priced similarly, and feature to feature virtually identicle, it comes down to which you prefer, and not much else.

Photoshop, however, rules it's own, and has only photoshop LE or photodeluxe to compete on even remotely the same playing field. There are others, but none are really even in the same league.

codemother
Sep 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
Or did anyone else read this as Photoshop Counter Strike. Must leave computer... put mouse down ....
C.

Freg3000
Sep 13, 2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by codemother
Or did anyone else read this as Photoshop Counter Strike. Must leave computer... put mouse down ....
C.

Sorry, I didn't. I wish we could have counter strike though. BTW, what will Photoshop be called when it is sold individually, if not Photoshop 8? Or will it not be sold individually at all anymore, only as a part of CS?

killmoms
Sep 13, 2003, 11:21 PM
Photoshop will have a MAC version (until Apple screws themselves by introducing a counterpart), but everytime an Adobe app stops updating for the MAC it is BAD news.
Apple will never introduce a competitor to Photoshop, not unless they want to eat their hats. Photoshop is the program for photo-editing, and let's be honest, Premiere and AVID were never in the same class. FCP ain't as good as an AVID, but it's still significantly better than Premiere was (and is), and is only getting better with each successive version.

I don't know why the world is looking at Adobe dropping Premiere for the Mac as some MASSIVE pullout from the platform. Photoshop is the only game in town (effectively) for what it does. Illustrator has an entrenched userbase that continues to use it despite Macromedia's offering. InDesign is rapidly growing in popularity and is starting to make inroads into Quark's traditional market. Much of this is happening on the Mac. Premiere's drop was a decision made due to the financial burden of supporting the development of a program being rapidly abandoned for something else. Nothing more.

--Matt

twinturbo
Sep 14, 2003, 12:37 AM
FCP ain't as good as an AVID, but it's still significantly better than Premiere was (and is), and is only getting better with each successive version.

That depends on what you're doing. I've use both AVID and FCP, and have used Premiere Pro, and for effects/compositing type work, FCP wins hand down, especially for speed on a fast Mac (ala G5) for under $25,000. In terms of Media management, again, I feel that FCP is getting very, very close, they just need to fix some bugs with the Media Manager (I haven't had any problems, but I have heard other people having them), and make it a bit more idiot-proof (it's a little bit confusing and easy to make a mistake). But basically all the tools are there in FCP that are in AVID (except for Animatte and a Color Corrector as easy to use as Avid's). Also 3D DVE's in AVID are absolutely horrible-terrible, terrible aliasing along the edges. But for the price, I'd say that FCP is a real winner.

myrdred23
Sep 14, 2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by codemother
Or did anyone else read this as Photoshop Counter Strike.

Heh, I read it as Photoshop Computer Science. I guess abbrevs are kinda like those pictures the psychologist shows you, where everyone sees something different.

Gorbag
Sep 15, 2003, 04:40 AM
The one thing I would like to see updated in PS is the ability to work with 16 bit files. Having just scanned in 60 high quality photos, the levels get truncated to 8 bit values (per channel, I know!) and you get the "fingers of death" in the histograms. Not pretty! Amazed that Adobe STILL haven't sorted this yet.
MAybe CS?
As anyone hears more, please post here!!!

PS If anyone wants more running info on FCP, Premiere, Avid, etc, check out the Creative Cow forums on these, and other creative software packages. Loads of good advice to be had there!

Alte22a
Sep 15, 2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by actionslacks
[IT IS A BAD THING THAT ADOBE STOPS MAKING MAC VERSIONS OF THEIR PROGRAMS.
[/B]

Thats right any competiton is good, keeps everyone on there toes to deliver decent products and services. And if the pressure is too hot, then everyone starts talking to their lawyers. Remember Adobe vs Macromedia? :D

Mudbug
Sep 15, 2003, 09:45 AM
Apple will never introduce a competitor to Photoshop, not unless they want to eat their hats. Photoshop is the program for photo-editing, and let's be honest, Premiere and AVID were never in the same class. FCP ain't as good as an AVID, but it's still significantly better than Premiere was (and is), and is only getting better with each successive version.

I don't know why the world is looking at Adobe dropping Premiere for the Mac as some MASSIVE pullout from the platform. Photoshop is the only game in town (effectively) for what it does. Illustrator has an entrenched userbase that continues to use it despite Macromedia's offering. InDesign is rapidly growing in popularity and is starting to make inroads into Quark's traditional market. Much of this is happening on the Mac. Premiere's drop was a decision made due to the financial burden of supporting the development of a program being rapidly abandoned for something else. Nothing more.

--Matt

It would be in Apple's interest to at least be developing such a program, if indeed Adobe feels like pulling the rug out from under them...

killmoms
Sep 16, 2003, 10:52 PM
My point is that there's no financial incentive for Adobe to do this. They make plenty of money off the Mac port of Photoshop. Probably more in terms of dollars made per platform, since it's probably the most pirated piece of software on the PC today. They dropped Premiere because they weren't making money on it. That's all.

--Matt