Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Sounds very cool. Should have a huge impact on gaming in addition to all the fields mentioned in that article. It sounds like more of a display feature than anything else. I'm surprised they don't mention it in association with desktops.

stoid

macrumors 601
Unfortunately, the 3D is only veiwable from one angle/distance. Anything outside of that small "sweet spot" the 3D would not work, so while the technology is very cool, it is still very limited. I think that there was a thread on this technology earlier in it's developement, but I don't feel like hunting through the achieves tring to find it.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i cant wait until they get into the mainstream in a while from now. imagine expose with 3d? that would be awesome. you can have different layers to a desktop and stuff like that.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
very cool...a good first step in the direction of display revolution.

as far as expose, I'm looking forward to the time that I can establish a wireless connection between my cerebrum and my computer, so that I can think about triggering expose and it triggers.

or I can just move my window in my head.

Of course, there's a lot of "background noise" to thinking, and a lot of inadvertent thinking just because your subconscious wants to screw around with you. I could imagine windows flying all over the place, important documents getting deleted, etc., just because you didn't want it to happen.

I guess, then, you'd need a high threshold--you'd have to be thinking really hard about something to make it happen. I don't know how useful that would be, but it would be cool as all. Even cooler than these 3D displays (like how I segued back so that anyone who reads the beginning and end of my post won't think that I got horribly, horrifically off topic, even though I did?).

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
3D displays are definitely cool. :D i remember reading an article about a professor who found a way to make 3D displays really cheaply using the cheapest cellophane he could find. it worked better at seperating the light (or something like that) than the specially made stuff did.

and isn't NEC bringing out a 3D laptop next year? i read that as well. i think it said that they would be about $250-300 more expensive than a normal laptop.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I've used this laptop as my masters project is on 'Distributed Stereoscopic Image Viewing on the Web' I'm writing the first two chapers for the report and the ground work right now. I will probably have to produce a browser plug-in to allow these stereoscopic images to be viewed in a browser. Then there is optional work I want to do to help NASA with the images from the probes they are sendin to the sun. Hopefully the plug-in will work in safari ;)

as for the sharp laptop..it's pretty nice but you have to be exactly in the right spot to see it, otherwise it doesn't work and it really hurts your eyes. It's the smae with all the other autostereoscopic monitors in the lab. There are loads of different panels, all of different quality. One has two camera that follow your eye movement to try to keep the image in the right position, but its slow and easy to fool. Another works with a pretty good viewing angle, but the effect isn't quite as nice, and it uses 9 sheets instead of 2, so you need nine seperate imaes to make it work! Mind you, all of them work different and a pic from one wont work on another....no standards yet I guess....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.